• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

shopto.net customers: omgz ohnoez false reporting cats and dogs

Haunted

*removes shopto bookmark*

Just to be sure.

kamorra said:
wat
They don't believe that do they? A massive attempt by German customers to fraudulently claim against them??
Clearly a conspiracy. Damn those fraudulent Germans!

Dazzyman

The link for google is from around 30th March so you would have been hit long ago as they use em straight away (usually stuff like Itunes scam) and its generic that 19k of cards where stolen from sites all over not down to one company.
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translat...slesbar-2782.html&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Makes me wonder why Germans are reporting what nearly 4weeks later of websites, Cornflicker maybe taking peeps details off their PCs? Does seeem odd its only affecting Germans?

Sendits nowt to do with Shopto neither is Mzee. Ive checked mine as use Shopto (UK) and all fine.

I got hit by fraud myself back in January due to another company I used online. First time it happened to me and I was suprised how unimpressed banks are by it. I got a card the next day and got money back very quickly (was hit by Itunes scam which Id never heard of up till that point).

If your ever worried about your card just phone em up on back of card cancel it and you get a new one sent out. All fraud charges are covered anyway and you just get sent a bit of paper to confirm what the fraud ones are.

Dazzyman

Itunes scam is your card gets nicked from wherever ie say petrol station, online site etc... and they go and they just try the card numbers online because they dont even need your ccv or any passwords for itunes. They do a test say 49p track something low then if it goes thru they start buying a few albums ie £15/£16 to see if theirs a descent credit limit on it. If they go thru they then will go off and use it on much bigger purchases a few days later. Its also known by its older name of pint of milk scam as peeps clone a card go into a shop and buy a pint of milk with it. If it goes thru they then go on a spending spree. As I said I knew nowt about it till January.

Thats what pisses me off about Itunes its so fucking easy to use a card on it with zero fraud checking. Thats why its always best no matter how good you are with your card details to always keep an eye on your account and if you get a £1 transaction going out you dont know about phone bank up.

Believe me Im seriously hyper net concious and phone my bank up everyday to check my account and I got hit by a crap site back in Jan (none of these ones mentioned). Bank told me its always a question of not if but when when you use online no matter who you use as its so rife which shocked us cas Ive been carefull and never had a single prob in over 12yrs. Thank fuck all fraud is easy to sort and you get your card sorted quickly and a new one.

Harteex

kamorra said:
How do you know if there was a leak at shopto? What about play.com? I use both.

Are they related? Anything more on this? (I use Play)

Dazzyman said:
Thats why its always best no matter how good you are with your card details to always keep an eye on your account and if you get a £1 transaction going out you dont know about phone bank up.

I had a similar transaction a while ago I didn't know what it was at first. It seems like when you add your creditcard to Xbox Live, it does a small reserved transaction to check its validity (but it won't actually take the money in the end).
So not all £1 transactions are wrong :p

Dazzyman

Well not everything then :lol Alot of companies do a £1 search when you first register their card. I just mean out of the blue if you start getting 50p here and thier then another pound you know they got you. Any website is vunerable is what I got told from bank thats why its not if but when.

pswii60

Fizzle said:
Deleted my card.

I looked at my bank balance now, "Available Balance - £-8.57", but that's my bad. :lol

Being young and jobless comes with a price. =[
Well, look on the bright side.

I have a respectable job and my balance is £-2,475.21. Debt culture all the way here in the UK!

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
forum.shopto.net said:
As explained above rest assured the leak has not come from us. Just so people know a little more, one of the security measures mentioned is McAfee secure which scans the website twice a day to ensure there is no suspicious activity. If you click the McAfee logo on the front page it explains this in more detail and confirms our security.

mcafee.jpg

We're getting in touch with those who deal with our certificate now for an explanation as to why it would say anywhere that we're not secure when we are. If any issues were ever to occur though they would be in touch with us right away, which they've not been.

Security is always of the highest priority, as the systems we have in place and our company policies reflect, and it's something we'll never stop working on to ensure our customers are safe.

- ShopTo Support Team

It's a shame really. I liked to buy there. Great prices and fast shipping.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
This is worrying. I remember giving my debit card details for a preorder a while back (December-January) but due to account inactivity my card details were removed on April 7th. I hope to fucking hell I'm not affected.

Since I've got Paypal money coming in daily I'll make sure to triple check my account status for anything dodgy.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
ice cream said:
So how do I check my statement? I have debit card with HSBC, do I phone them and just ask..? Sorry I'm 16 and fairly new to all this banking business...
Don't you have online account on HSBC? You can check your statements online.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
***UPDATE***

A quick update:

We've been in touch and they've re-issued the certificate (which is why the website was down for a couple of minutes), as you can see all is fine:
ssl.jpg

I don't know, would you ever trust them again?

I've had to deal with a couple of faulty certs... it's not that unusual, but it is the sort of thing you should check before putting live on your very popular e-commerce site.

byjimini

Neo Member
It was my topic on the forum over at Shopto, glad to see they've sorted it out but I certainly won't be using them again. Good service and all but I just don't pre-order games anymore, which is basically what they're best known for.

Dazzyman

As said earlier the google things about 1month old so you would have had your card maxxed long before now. If you read it it was actually brought to light on 20th March!

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/99250,aussie-stumbles-on-19000-exposed-credit-card-numbers.aspx

By Ry Crozier
20 March 2009 03:36PM

A defunct payment gateway has exposed as many as 19,000 credit card numbers, including up to 60 Australian numbers.

The discovery by a local IT industry worker was made by mistake.

Apart from being the result of poor security, it may also have been aided by a side-effect of the Google search engine, in which the pages of defunct web sites containing sensitive directories remain cached and available to anyone.

The cached data, viewed by iTnews, includes 22,000 credit card numbers, including CVVs, expiry dates, names and addresses.

Up to 19,000 of these numbers could be active. Most are customers in the US and Britain although some are Australian.

The credit card numbers are for accounts held with Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Solo, Switch, Delta and Maestro/Cirrus.

Within the address bars of the cached pages are URLs of companies, including UK retailers of laboratory supplies, sports and health goods, apparel, photo imaging and clothing.

"I received a Google Alert for a name," said the worker who discovered the problem, speaking on condition of anonymity to iTnews.

"The alert started with a bunch of other numbers, so I went to the web page and it was just a virtual directory listing with a bunch of directories underneath and a load of files inside."

"It looks like the site might have been a payment processing gateway that handled credit card transactions for a bunch of websites before it went belly-up," the worker speculated.

The worker tried to report the find immediately to Visa and Mastercard, which have the lion's share of card numbers, but said neither returned calls.

iTnews has contacted the credit card providers for comment.

"We're investigating this report as a matter of priority, but it's too early to make any further comment," said a spokesperson for Visa.

The information will be handed to police tonight, the worker said.

Besides if you use Shopto you will know they dont even take American Express :lol
Personally I dunno what its got to do with Shopto. It looks like a bad mistranslation from a article a month old that a german sites retranslated and got it wrong.

ALso says its not just UK peeps its USA and Australia so we dont know where the cards have been hacked from all I know is as a Shopto customer and have been for ages mines fine and I would have got hit long ago as its been 4weeks nearly (they would have more than 19k worth of cards on theirs alone anyway).

All I know is when I did some digging when my other card got done from another site it was rife on google of cards nicked and I found it quite frightening how easy it was for them to get the info and card generate a card just by knowing its a mastercard etc.. passed all my info onto the bank who werent intrested and wouldnt even let me block itunes from my cards (as I never use it dont have a chuffing ipod!).

As for certs they get updated all the time and any site whats had the slightest whiff of mention the first thing their going to do is update straight away as a matter of security whether they have been targeted or not.

Thanks for the heads-up. I might cancel the card (not sure about that yet, depends how easy my bank makes it), but I shan't be using Shopto again...

Dazzyman

Yep basically its a story what came out on 20th April in Australia whats affected loads of people and sod all to do with Shopto and Mzee. This has then been translated to german google and a german sites linked it and blamed Shopto and Mzee when its nowt to do with them.

Fucking idiots panic over and can stop fretting about my card now :lol

MNC

GarthVaderUK said:
I feel kinda bad for ShopTo now! They've always been very quick with my orders, I hope they cope OK through this.
Yeah, I can see this hurting sales alot.

lockload

Well ive used shopto for years

The original article on this was from early march the cards included american express cards which shopto dont even accept

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
lockload said:
Well ive used shopto for years

The original article on this was from early march the cards included american express cards which shopto dont even accept

Time to go back and re-pre-order everything.

THANKS GAF.

Linkified

So even though I made one order there in early january 2008 does this mean I should run to my nearest cashpoint machine near me or can I casualy walk over to a cashpoint sometime tomorrow to check?

Top Bottom