• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Origin user has all his games deleted.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it's more like "will" happen with Steam too. People don't realize how fragile that whole ecosystem is. Valve's games held the whole thing together, they don't make real games anymore, everyone else is getting into the digital store business, the market's going to be split 20 ways. Valve could find themselves fucked within the course of a couple of years, and I don't care what anyone says, that company is obviously a complete fucking mess organizationally. Any company that can't even complete a game series that it starts has serious fucking problems. They also have no real contingency plans. After Gabe kicks the bucket, the company's basically going to implode.

If you really think about it, you don't want a private company to run something like Steam. It's just not reliable enough. I WANT a big corporation with succession plans that can survive multiple generations of staff for a service like that. I don't want it all resting one one obese dude pushing 60.

Agreed. Valve Trojan Horsed Steam with Half Life 2, and now that the running joke is no HL3, there is nothing stopping what you just said. Their bubble will burst.

And some of the gaming press and consumer base are just rooting and begging to give them all the keys to the kingdom. Look, it might not just be nickel and diming scumbaggery. It will also be technical issues and incompetency. But please, let's keep rooting for a rental service/streaming future with absolutely no questions or skepticism.

Last edited:

ROMhack

No idea why he's got his account deleted but Origin has had rampant issues with account hacking so I'm happy to see them being defensive for once (system > user).

I had my account hacked ages ago by some random Russian dude who I suspect did so because I (stupidly) bought a key from a third-party seller. I was never able to change the username back again.

I never buy digital games on console as I much prefer to have physical copies. I would never go all digital and count me in with the people who say they'd quit, if that is the direction things go in.

I have 116 games on Steam. Go figure.

Nymphae

Banned
But look at all that shelf space 😂

It seems like whenever I made a "fuck the digital future" argument at Era, I was in the minority.

So many people argue:

• it saves me space
• don't have to get up to switch discs 😂
• saves the environment
• games are cheaper

I could maybe see the space argument having some merit, but you'd need an awful lot of games. Just put the one's you aren't playing in a damn box in your closet.
The getting up to switch games argument is just ridiculous. The saving the environment point is a thing no gamer I knew actually gave a shit about, but is technically a positive because who would argue against saving the earth? And finally, games are not really all that cheaper, unless we're talking indies and occasional sales. Full priced games at launch are not really that much cheaper, and they should be a fuck of a lot cheaper.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Agreed. Valve Trojan Horsed Steam with Half Life 2.

I have the physical copy of Half Life 2 and you just brought back fucking nightmares of steams first iteration that I had managed to avoid up until that point and my beginning of hatred for the company called VALVE. My steam account from way back then still only has HL2 and a copy of RCT when I was feeling nostalgic on it. I have no problem with renting games via gamepass, purchasing games however can die in a fire and it's the moment I stop gaming.

lifa-cobex

I never buy digital games on console as I much prefer to have physical copies. I would never go all digital and count me in with the people who say they'd quit, if that is the direction things go in.

I have 116 games on Steam. Go figure.

Steam have this really annoying habit of doing great deals.
Many moons ago, I laughed at the idea of buying games digitally. That dame steam library just kept growing over the years so I can't say much either.

Stayed well away of that practice on console though. Probably because it cost more for the download version than the physical most of the time here in the UK.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have the physical copy of Half Life 2 and you just brought back fucking nightmares of steams first iteration that I had managed to avoid up until that point and my beginning of hatred for the company called VALVE. My steam account from way back then still only has HL2 and a copy of RCT when I was feeling nostalgic on it. I have no problem with renting games via gamepass, purchasing games however can die in a fire and it's the moment I stop gaming.

I still have mine as well, lol. I remember I got the CE that had the silly T-shirt.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This happened to a friend of mine pretty recently as well, how often do stories like this happen? I've known a number of people whose Origin library have disappeared, but most of them were able to retrieve them after contacting support.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It doesn't matter if you have a physical copy of a game when the online components required to make it work get shutdown.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Now remember, EA, MS and Bethesda want an all streaming future...where they have full control of a access to games you buy. Imagine the abuses they could commit.....it would be perverse.
Which is why I won’t be part of it unless I have a disc that plays offline.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It doesn't matter if you have a physical copy of a game when the online components required to make it work get shutdown.

Which is why me and many others LOVE single player games that are good also. Games like God of War (PS4 version) and possibly SpiderMan and Red Dead 3 (I'm assuming these game will be good) keep getting so much love. In a way we appreciate games just being games and it not needing all the extra online stuff.

Like many said, it's stories like this are one of many reasons why I go for hard copies of everything if I have the option and only do digital if I have to. I also only use Steam if there's no other option to play it on my own on PC. (Ironically, I did play Mass Effect 1 on Steam because I didn't want to have to get Origin for it).

I know this stuff is rare in happening and but the fact that these companies can just remove all your games with a button press, leading to a world of shit to get it all back, is not something I want to subject myself too. This has happened to e-book devices as well where books people purchased were removed and refunded without their consent because the books violated some copyright or something. The same can happen to games.

Of course, it helps that I rarely play MP games so I have some options. With all these always-online games, you kinda have to bend over and deal with whatever server you have to play on.

Last edited:
fired up Origin today to play a round of BF1, just to find that my whole libary is gone. awesome EA. thanks alot :-o

Last edited:
well, i had the funny feeling to give it another try after watching the BFV trailer today. what really pisses me of, is that i will never play titanfall 2 which i bought some months ago...

Top Bottom