• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k10 Features Revealed

so living roster is what they called it last year too, right?

I wish that I could find a sports game that could....(and this is what I've been praying for forever) incorporate the day-to-day transactions of the nba season into the saved season that I am playing. I want the trades to be updated within my season so that I don't have to start a new season with my teams. Example.....what if Shaq got picked up by the Cavs at the trade deadline (he's obviously already on the Cavs roster at the beginning of the season) and I was already 55 games into my season with the Cavs. So far the rest of the season (and any subsequent seasons) I would not have Shaq on my roster. I REALLY want this....

nyprimus2

MikeE21286 said:

I wish that I could find a sports game that could....(and this is what I've been praying for forever) incorporate the day-to-day transactions of the nba season into the saved season that I am playing. I want the trades to be updated within my season so that I don't have to start a new season with my teams. Example.....what if Shaq got picked up by the Cavs at the trade deadline (he's obviously already on the Cavs roster at the beginning of the season) and I was already 55 games into my season with the Cavs. So far the rest of the season (and any subsequent seasons) I would not have Shaq on my roster. I REALLY want this....
Control all teams but put everything on auto except the team your playing with.

Kobe

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
in presentation.

madden has been better than NFL 2k5 since madden 2005. but there is already another thread for that :(

back to THIS thread, i just can't see NBA live being better. call it being comfortable with nba2k or whatever, but it just plays a better game of basketball. maybe things change this year but i've heard "maybe things change this year" for the past couple years and it hasn't happened.

i hope 2k adds online franchise mode! Let madden be your guide (but include salary cap and player contracts!)

lebronlaugh.jpg

nyprimus2 said:
Control all teams but put everything on auto except the team your playing with.

yeah, never thought about that....that's a work-a-round. I want it to be done for me. I don't want to have to make every single transaction....

benjipwns

Banned
MikeE21286 said:

So you mean like, the game wouldn't make it's own trades and roster moves, it would just replicate real life, but would do it at any point in your franchise? What would you do during the playoffs in the game (still allow the players to move around?) and what about if you were playing during the free agent period, suddenly you lost half your players and get half a new team?

Gavarms

NBA Today
Hi 2K Sports Fans! I am Asif Chaudhri and I work on all things presentation for NBA 2K10. Let me introduce you to something amazing:

The NBA, the REAL NBA, is in your game and it’s updated every day…

NBA Today is a revolutionary way to experience the NBA 2K game play you love. In the “old days” you’d fire up your basketball game and wind up on a team select screen…try to figure out what matchup you wanted to play and then get going. When it came to commentary, presentation and overlays your game was happening in a vacuum. There was nothing “real” about it. It was a fantasy matchup that had no real-world context and no impact. There was a limited list of subjects the commentators could discuss. They could talk about what was happening in that particular game and they could talk about what happened last season. That was pretty much it.

In NBA 2K10 that’s all changed. NBA Today takes the sport you love, NBA basketball, and the game you love, NBA 2K, and finally puts them in the same “world”. When you start 2K10, your Internet-connected console will reach out and grab all the latest information about what’s happening in the league. After that, you won’t land on the team select screen: instead you’ll go directly to the NBA Today screen which lists the REAL NBA matchups that are actually being played TODAY. Additionally you will see a breakdown of scores from last night’s games, as well as view which players in tonight’s matchups are leading their teams in the various stat categories. Furthermore, while the game is loading you’ll get a quick update on how both teams did in their last games and the stats their key players put up. From the NBA Today Menu, you can access box scores for ALL NBA games that have already been played, division and conference standings, league leader stats, the latest transactions, follow any trades that are happening around the league, and check out an All-Star voting watch menu.

Pretty cool, huh? But that’s just the start. Now that your game and your league are in sync, the door is thrown open for dynamic commentary and presentation that’s based on what’s really happening in the real NBA (have I said “real” enough times?) Throughout the season, there is no doubt you will be impressed by the intelligent commentating that not only keeps you informed on the ACTUAL latest league happenings but also keeps track of your team info as well. Examples include knowing that you just got home from a 3-game road trip where you won one and lost two, knowing the opposing team’s starting center is out with an injury, knowing your point guard put up 22 points in the road win against the Grizzlies Tuesday night and that he’s averaging 17 ppg this season, knowing this is the first of a four game series between the two teams … get it? The commentators now have the knowledge of what’s happening league-wide and will reference the most up-to-date information possible in their conversations. But it’s not just all talk, a lot of the topics, the commentary team will talk about, have overlays that coincide with their analysis. During the season, they’ll catch you up on who’s leading the league and how teams are ranked in various stat categories, check out a team’s upcoming schedule and even do a promo spot for an upcoming game. If it’s a holiday, as you may have seen in previous screens, that isn’t going to be ignored; the game will present the holiday in overlays and commentary. As the playoffs are approaching you’ll get the east/west conference standings and once the post season starts, you’ll get playoffs and finals screen wipes. The commentary and presentation will constantly be changing throughout the season to coincide with the real league and transition from pre-season to regular season and finally to the postseason.

For the few days during the season where there are no NBA games taking place (or anytime you feel like playing your team) you can simply use Quick Game to create your own fantasy matchup. All the NBA Today commentary/presentation will still be valid looking back and forward in time. And yes, all the NBA Today commentary/presentation will also occur in your Association (but it will be your Association data that drives the commentary, not the real NBA). A quick note: Often during an NBA game, commentators let the visual demonstration of the game lead itself if they are having a conversation. That changes, however, if there is a huge highlight play. If a thunderous dunk rains down, you’ll get the commentators attention. The same can be said during our game.

We’re really excited to see what you guys think about this new feature. Drop me a line in the comments and tell me what you think!

Asif Chaudhri
Presentation Producer

NEXT NBA 2K10 DEVELOPER INSIGHT: “My Player,” by Erick Boenisch – TBD

This sounds really amazing but as usual will wait need to see it in action 1st before knowing if it actually works

Draft Combine Trailer #1

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Gavarms said:
This sounds really amazing but as usual will wait need to see it in action 1st before knowing if it actually works

Yeah for sure. They can't be recording and downloading new commentary regularly, so my guess is they'll use the same semi-effective stuff they use in the Association mode but in Quick Play mode or whatever.

Which isn't all that awesome since I never use quick play.

The improved menu presentation and actual NBA integration could be cool if done right though.

benjipwns said:
So you mean like, the game wouldn't make it's own trades and roster moves, it would just replicate real life, but would do it at any point in your franchise? What would you do during the playoffs in the game (still allow the players to move around?) and what about if you were playing during the free agent period, suddenly you lost half your players and get half a new team?

Trade deadline ends well before the playoffs. FA period could spark a lot of trades but isn't the point to play as your team? Might as well just make up some fantasy all-star team if you want to be able to control who's on it.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1015881p1.html

Pretty okay NBA 2k10 article up on IGN. Haven't completely read up on it yet...here's a peek.

Another big change is the use of turbo. If there's one thing that too many players abused in years past, it was the turbo button (myself included). This year you'll need to use turbo very sparingly. Holding down on the right trigger will not only deplete the new on-screen turbo meter, but your overall energy will also drop. If you're out of turbo but you're still mashing on the right trigger, then your overall energy will start to really take a dive. Using lock-on defense also depletes your turbo meter because you're playing much more aggressively, but not quite as much as holding down on the trigger. This year lock-on defense is designed to be able to force the offensive player in different directions along with getting up in their face and being a constant annoyance when they have the ball. Let's just hope Shaq can't guard Steve Nash this time around.

Post play has also seen refinements. The use of the right stick is absolutely essential if you're going to find success in the post. Once you discover the intricacies of how to use the right stick, scoring in the post should be a snap, despite a new emphasis on being able to block shots. Moving the right stick to the right and holding it will cause your player to spin to the right and launch a shot. Flicking to the right and then holding to the left will cause them to fake to the right then shoot to the left. It was a little tough for me to get the hang of it at first, but once I wrapped my head around it Dwight Howard was a force to be reckoned with. I was able to use the left trigger as a modifier for quick moves while the right trigger is used for a power move to the basket.

nba-2k10-20090819040528723_640w.jpg

nba-2k10-20090819040516505.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
Kydd BlaZe said:
:/

Just gave it some thought...i'm not gonna do it. FUCKING KOBE IS ON THE DAMN COVER=NO SALE

;)
Just print out a custom cover. I took Jeter off several years of 2K baseball that way. :D

Smokey

Control F..page 1..spectator mode " no match found"
Control F..page 2..spectator mode "no match found"

*sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

IGN said:
NBA 2K10 is bringing a lot of game this year. The gameplay feels more realistic than ever because of many of the refinements that have been made to the overall formula. I liked the new dribbling and the new, more realistic turbo mechanic, as well as the new post moves. Animations look great (probably because they dumped every move that was pre-2K8) and players move wonderfully on the court. Now if only the overall graphical presentation could be brought up to the same level

Another big change is the use of turbo. If there's one thing that too many players abused in years past, it was the turbo button (myself included). This year you'll need to use turbo very sparingly. Holding down on the right trigger will not only deplete the new on-screen turbo meter, but your overall energy will also drop. If you're out of turbo but you're still mashing on the right trigger, then your overall energy will start to really take a dive. Using lock-on defense also depletes your turbo meter because you're playing much more aggressively, but not quite as much as holding down on the trigger. This year lock-on defense is designed to be able to force the offensive player in different directions along with getting up in their face and being a constant annoyance when they have the ball. Let's just hope Shaq can't guard Steve Nash this time around.

I like that they dumped the pre-2k8 animations. Finally. Also liking the new turbo rules or w/e. Everything sounds good in the article besides the WIP graphics.

Smokey said:

I like that they dumped the pre-2k8 animations. Finally. Also liking the new turbo rules or w/e. Everything sounds good in the article besides the WIP graphics.

The game is gonna feel so fresh because of this. Cant wait to get a feel.

Assemble!

Even though I face palmed hardcore when I saw Kobe on the cover, my allegiance to this series cannot be shaken. And this is coming from someone who played Live before it was called Live. Once 2K stepped onto the court, it was all over.

No pre-08 animations + Player Career = Day 1 Sale

Luckily I keep my games in a drawer so no one will have to see Kobe's mug all over my favorite b-ball game.

Gavarms

A MEGA detailed look at NBA 2K10. Some great info in there. Be warned it's a long read but worth it!
Operation Sports NBA 2K10 Q&A Thread

Some highlights. This is only a small sample!
Creating A Player - You no longer have to apply an entire "package" to your player. In other words, this means you don't have to pick a specific dunk package or whatever, you can choose various types of dunks per created player instead -- if your guy has enough hops you can choose 10 different dunks for your guy to use. Once again let me be clear, you are not choosing a "Josh Smith" dunk package, but rather specific dunks that make up your own unique dunk package.
Draft Combine - The Draft Combine is not exactly what 2K10 will be like from gameplay perspective, and because most of the virtual players within this portion of the game are subpar, you won't see a lot of the new animations etc. in this mode. I'd say treating the Combine as a nice RPG element and filler to tide you over until the game actually releases is the best way to look at it -- assuming the other option is judging the gameplay as being exactly like 2K10, because it's not.
Beyond The Combine - You always have a one-year contract. The better you play, the more offers you will receive during the offseason. It seems like this route was taken because the NBA is not a huge fan of players demanding trades, and in addition, the developers didn't want you to go through a two/three/four-year rookie contract, then get your first max deal, then get another max deal because it wouldn't allow you to change teams if you wanted to play for someone else -- especially if you were drafted for a team you do not like in real life or are stuck behind a superstar at your position. Take that for what it's worth.
Commentary - Kevin Harlan's "right between the eyes" comment is not allowed to be in the game because it's a violent reference -- would affect the ESRB rating. :lol :lol
NBA Today - When you get the game, the NBA will be just starting preseason games (I believe) and so the announcers will pull stats etc. from those games -- so NBA Today is in effect once you get the game.
Signature Style - The ImageMetrics people (the folks behind GTA IV) created the signature and generic facial animations in the game. I didn't see too many signature ones while playing, but was told that LeBron puffing his cheeks out after he does something big-time is in the game. The facial animations looked good when I saw them, and the eyes looked pretty lifelike as well.
Gameplay - The post game is really intuitive this year, and I don't think it is being appreciated enough at this point. It's the first time where I really think 2K might have found something that works for good. I struggled the first game because I had to get used to the new controls, but after that, I really started to understand the way to manipulate the controls and started to do some nice moves. And the great part is the moves aren't overly canned and extended, so you will really feel like you are the one doing the up and under, rather than pressing a two-button combo to do it.

charsace

Smokey said:

Do you notice something about the pics? None of them are full court.

WaltJay

PotatoeMasher said:
Any chance College Hoops comes back this year?

Unless something has changed, it ain't happening. From what I recall, the NCAA wanted too much cash for the license, and 2K wasn't selling enough copies to justify its existence. It sucks because I liked taking the small school and building it into a powerhouse. To me, the recruiting aspect made it much more interesting long-term than the NBA game.

I just read all the impressions and I shall troll every comment made now

Shoes, tattoos, headbands, blah blah

No one cares.

-Kevin Harlan's "right between the eyes" comment is not allowed to be in the game because it's a violent reference -- would affect the ESRB rating.

wow

-The organ will be playing at Madison Square Garden.

that's nice. better not be the only arena that got some love

-The leagues didn't get any new features, but there should be even more Web functionality this time around.

fan-fucking-tastic!

-"Crews" is another new addition to the Team-Up mode. This is the ability to get together with friends and form an online team. You get to compete against other crews, and there are leaderboards that rank the top crews. You use NBA teams for these, and you can also use your 'My Player' -- but you don't earn points since there is no rating during this mode. This is partly because you're playing with friends and also because the number one goal is getting the W.

ok, THAT is good news...time for some intra-gaf games :lol

-Patience will be key when playing defense in the post. I didn't feel nearly as helpless when playing D in the post because now it's easier to block shots and contest them, but if you flail during a pump fake you will get disowned more than ever. I think being able to strip the ball during more instances along the way will be a big deal as well.

fuck

-It's closer to 3 in the key now, not 6 in the key when dealing with a post player.

this is going to be an issue too :lol

-If you get turned while playing D, there is more weight to your guy this year, so you won't be able to just magically get back on your guy or somehow magically catch him from behind. This ties back into the risk/reward again.

good

-The run-down strip system has been changed. You will see less of those automated strips where you are magically caught from behind -- last year if you pressed the button at the right time it was almost a guaranteed steal. Now you will see more fouls when trying to pull these off or just missed attempts in general.

finalllllllllly

-Saw a lot of new bounce-pass animations

that is horrible. last year had way too many bounce passes. players would always do a bounce pass when NOT wanted

-The player spacing did still get jumbled at times, which I think is because of the tendencies. Since certain players like to go to certain places on the court, there would sometimes be a jumble of players clogging the mid-to-high post when you didn't call a play. This is still apparently being tuned.

does not sound good either

-In-game saves are present.

hell yess!!

michael beasley is unstoppable

of course

tadcalabash

Neo Member
-Removed most of those really long layups, as well as the infamous "ghost" layup. So now you are not starting your layup animation from way outside the paint.

Very nice, I always found those to be quite annoying... mostly because of the loss of control for both defender and offense.

-There is a full-on practice mode within Association mode.

Nice little bonus, I always want to take new players I just drafted and mess around with them... glad to see this included.

-In-game saves are present.

Thank you.

RS4-

re: the Combine, is that in the retail game as well? Or is the retail version barebones; create your player and play, without all the intrasquad, etc stuff?

punkypine

the most annoying part about 2k9 for me (dont really play online, so dont know how the 'hardcore' players dealt wth it) was the fact that if you pump faked and got the guy in the air, you could jump into him and get garunteed free throws. it was too easy to do and really killed alot of the fun

tadcalabash

Neo Member
RS4- said:
re: the Combine, is that in the retail game as well? Or is the retail version barebones; create your player and play, without all the intrasquad, etc stuff?

Reading the NBA 2k10 Operation Sports Q&A link below, they made it sound like they're seperate... even noting the gameplay in the Combine DLC isn't quite up to par with the full game (what with it being released earlier, based on older code I assume).

The part that kinda bugs me is where they note "-You can only upload one 'My Player' to the server."

First, that Combine DLC better be pretty robust so I won't do all I can do with a single character after a little bit and want to start another. Second, how will this affect playing the Combine DLC after the game has come out? If I've already used my upload spot earlier will the Combine DLC become useless?

RS4-

I'll assume that you can delete your player if you wanted to start a new one; I mean, 2k can't fuck that up right? Bleh, I guess I'll buy the Combine if it's officially not in the retail game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
tadcalabash said:
Reading the NBA 2k10 Operation Sports Q&A link below, they made it sound like they're seperate... even noting the gameplay in the Combine DLC isn't quite up to par with the full game (what with it being released earlier, based on older code I assume).

The part that kinda bugs me is where they note "-You can only upload one 'My Player' to the server."

First, that Combine DLC better be pretty robust so I won't do all I can do with a single character after a little bit and want to start another. Second, how will this affect playing the Combine DLC after the game has come out? If I've already used my upload spot earlier will the Combine DLC become useless?

Good questions. I'm interested in this DLC since I'm a huge RPG/Create a Guy type of guy (Road to the Show FTW) but you raise excellent points.

The league needs another Larry Bird type of player. He will be born in this mode. :D

I'll assume that you can always go back to attack athletics gym via the DLC, but otherwise it'll be summer league in the real game.

The game is 500 points. It's only for those who are hungry to get a taste of 2k10 and get a character ready to go ahead of time for 2k10. I think it's a good deal.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Let me guess...dagger would be too violent too? What about with no regard for human life? Or the ever popular how do you like that.

Gavarms said:
SICKNESS.

My problem with 2K9 (and now 2K10) is that when you jab step and drive hard right ( at 0:29 in this case) the player's whole body turns. Instead of keeping their body more or less squared with the basket and running slightly sideways, they turn their whole body and actually run in a straight line. It looks really ugly and I think if they fixed it, the game would look and feel so much more authentic.

Anyone get what I'm saying? If you actually play basketball you should know exactly what I'm referring to here.

clo1_2000 said:
They tried to make me go to rehab, I said NO, NO, NO.
didn't you here?
its because beasecheese was stressed. he couldn't handle fatherhood and an 82 game season.
*rollfucking eyes*

note: i got dibs on the lakers.

RS4-

From what I understand, the only thing you get in the retail game: you go undrafted and your player rating is at 37.
So really, you're at a 'slight' disadvantage compared to those that picked up DC.

No instrasquad stuff, and I'll assume the Combine test stuff like dribbling around pylons.

RS4-

Once the draft concludes, it’s time to head out to the Summer Circuit…every rookie's first stop on their journey towards becoming an NBA player. If you didn’t purchase NBA 2K10: Draft Combine, this is where your experience begins. As you didn’t participate in the NBA Draft Combine, you aren’t even on the radar of the NBA teams. Fortunately for you, the NBA 2K Insider has connections, and he’s gotten you an invite to play on an NBA team’s Summer Circuit squad as an undrafted free agent. Your road is going to be much tougher, and will almost certainly result in a stint in the NBA D-League (yes, of course we have it!)

http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/

Just found this, good read for those interested in the Combine & My Player modes

pilonv1

I'd much rather take My Player through the D League than be drafted straight away so that's cool. Not missing much from Combine.

Let’s shift gears here and talk about another exciting way to progress your player in My Player mode. It was important to us to allow our users to be able to play online games within this experience. Pick-Up Games afforded us this opportunity. Allow me to explain. Pick-Up Games are online ‘Team-Up’ style 5-on-5 games where you are playing with your user created player. When I say ‘Team-Up’ style 5-on-5, I’m of course referencing 10 human controlled players playing 5-on-5 in a single game simultaneously.

Players are rewarded at the end of these games strictly based off of their teammate grades rather than their individual stats. Scoring 50 points doesn’t mean anything if you got all of those points off of bad shots. Setting picks, making smart passes, calling for the ball only when you’re open, boxing out on rebounds, these are the types of things that will earn you a good Teammate Grade, and thus, a good number of Skill Points. This is all about team play folks.

Pick-Up Games are available for you to play at any point during your career regardless of whether you’re in the Summer Circuit, Training Camp, the NBA D-League, or the NBA. I urge you to spend some time developing your player in this fashion; it’s been a ton of fun for us doing so. Plus, you get to see all of the cool and creative created players that people have made.

Does this mean then that you can improve your My Player from online Pick-Up games? What's to stop someone playing Pick-Up online constantly and improving? Am I missing something?

Top Bottom