• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can we expect from Nintendo World 2011, Jan. 8-10?

Boney

Banned
Linkup said:
More like third parties don't support Nintendo "Here is how we ported this to make a quick buck at launch!". Outside of Capcom's RE what was built from the ground up and looks it? There really isn't much right now.
Well MGS3 is being made from the ground up. SSF4 is better than a from the ground up SF. Level 5, DOA works as a good best of compilation.

I don't really see the complaints.

Neiteio

duckroll said:
There will be stage presentations from third party developers on all 3 days. The first day has a MGS presentation from the producer Matsuhana, and a Kid Icarus presentation from Sakurai. The second day has a presentation on SSFIV 3D and something else I forgot. The last day has a Level 5 presentation from Hino, and Nintendogs + Cats I think.
Where did you hear this, Duckroll? I want to believe but I'm afraid to get my hopes up... Presentations on MGS and Kid Icarus on Jan. 8 sounds lovely. :)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Dreamwriter said:
There is a need - if the system is pricey enough, a game packin will make people feel better about paying $250 for it.

The point is pack-ins are not free, they make the system more expensive. I repeat, it would make more sense to sell the hardware cheaper, and recoup money from first-party sales and third party royalties. It doesn't make sense to make a system slightly more expensive by adding a pack-in-game. For the Wii, it worked, but that was a casual phenomenon that took christmas and adults non gamers by storm.

Neiteio said:
Where did you hear this, Duckroll? I want to believe but I'm afraid to get my hopes up... Presentations on MGS and Kid Icarus on Jan. 8 sounds lovely. :)

AndriaSang. It's written by an actual Japanese speaker living in Japan, so it's much more reliable for Japanese news than certain fansites.

(The presentation duckroll is forgetting is on the two Resident Evil/Biohazard titles.)

Neiteio

Father_Brain said:
AndriaSang. It's written by an actual Japanese speaker living in Japan, so it's much more reliable for Japanese news than certain fansites.

(The presentation duckroll is forgetting is on the two Resident Evil/Biohazard titles.)
Wow, a presentation on the RE games as well?? This sounds amazing! Will we have some thorough English-language coverage of the Jan. 8-10 event this time around? I want detailed impressions of everything! :)

Why For?

Banned
I hate that I'm being forced to buy a 3DS for Icarus.

Not really, I was going to get one anyway, Icarus just makes it a non-negotiable

cvxfreak

Father_Brain said:

Anoop doesn't actually live in Japan anymore.

wwm0nkey

You know I think the one and only bomb shell that will be dropped that day will be the announcement of their new online structure. We know the 3DS will show off Nintedo's new online but we still havent seen anything on it yet.

Anasui Kishibe said:
I can see DKCR 2 happening on the Wii actually. Next year looks depressing and that would fill some gap

Doing a new game in a year is not something Retro has previously pulled off. Plus I would be extremely surprised if we're not getting new home console hardware fall of 2011.

Foffy

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
You know I think the one and only bomb shell that will be dropped that day will be the announcement of their new online structure. We know the 3DS will show off Nintedo's new online but we still havent seen anything on it yet.

I'm more concerned about if the system will be region-locked when it comes to retail games, after tasting this long bite Nintendo of America has given us by skipping releases of games already in English. Disaster may not be a very good Wii game, but I would have loved to have a legitimate chance of finding out myself without resulting to homebrew apps.

Did they say anything about that?

Vinterbird said:
Doing a new game in a year is not something Retro has previously pulled off. Plus I would be extremely surprised if we're not getting new home console hardware fall of 2011.

Do you honestly believe that Nintendo will release a new console AND handheld within the same year? Sure, they can ala GBA and GC being released the same year, but the Wii has enough games in the que to keep it cooking for another year. Dragon Quest X, Zelda, The Last Story, Xenoblade (Internationally, anyway) and Rhythm Heaven Wii, to just name the few we know of. They might find themselves in a difficult situation releasing new hardware products in such a short span from one another, especially in such a global economical state we're in, which is the reason I think if we hear anything on a successor, it will just be talks about it.

Poyunch

Fantastical said:
I want to see it too! Hopefully there are some significant new elements.
There will be a murder mystery plot regarding Tortimer's disappearance. You must run the town as mayor while also proving your innocence and finding out who was the real killer
(Tom Nook)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Those presentations are apparently going to be broadcast on the net by Nintendo.

Anyone else thought this was curious?

3DS game introduction featuring Metal Gear Solid Series (1st day at 13:45)

It makes sense to talk about the 'Resident Evil Series' with the Capcom presentation because there isn't just one specific RE game, but two.

Maybe another MGS game will be announced during this presentation? Or am I reading too much into them not specifying the one MGS game we already know about?

Vinterbird said:

yeah but if Nintendo needs it, they sit down and develop. Plus, they could re-use a lot of the assets and i'll eat my hat if they don't have a lot of stuff they couldn't include in 1. Plus plus, they need something for 2011. And I don't see them releasing a new piece of hardware besides the 3DS, unless it's some irrilevant shit like the Emotion Sensor or whatever the heck it's called

Neiteio

Vinterbird said:
It's just Ocarina of Time...
Ocarina of Time 3D is what I want to see most.

I want to see the kingdom of my childhood reborn with brand-new art assets and silky smooth animation... I want to see Hyrule Castle gleaming in the setting sun, and Ganon's Castle beneath a boiling black sky... I want to walk slowly, reverently, through the Temple of Time and examine the Spiritual Stones glistening on the altar...

I want to see the dragon Volvagia spiraling through the smoke of the Fire Temple before plunging into lava... I want to see Phantom Ganon galloping out of a painting of a haunted hollow in the Forest Temple...

I want to grab a cucco and sail into the ravine at Gerudo Valley, and swan-dive off the waterfall in Zora's Domain... I want to see the Goron leader, Darunia, dancing to the beat of Saria's Song, or the Great Deku Tree recounting how the world was created before wilting away and dying...

I want to use my boomerang to sever tentacles in the soft, squishy innards of Jabu-Jabu's Belly... I want to grapple a blood-soaked Dead Hand at the bottom of Kakariko's well...

I want to see good ol' Dampe trudging through the rain, unearthing graves, and the spirits of the twin composers, Flat and Sharp, at the far end of the graveyard, and the bit where lightning splits the tombstone en route to the Sun's Song...

I want to run through Hyrule Field, fleeing Peahats by day, shambling Stalchildren by night... I want to while away the hours fishing at Lake Hylia, selling masks to a guard who wants to make his kid smile, or milking cows with Epona's Song at Lon Lon Ranch...

I want to see Ganondorf burst out of the rubble of his collapsed castle, flash the Triforce of Power on the back of his hand and transform into a hulking, hooved monstrosity so bad-ass that unlike every other boss in the game, he needs no subtitle, just his name in bold 72-size font: GANON.

All in the palm of my hands... In widescreen... And immersive, richly layered stereo 3D... With a clutter-free HUD and your Equipment, Invetory, Map and Status subscreens available at your fingertips... Adventuring on the go... *touches self*

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AniHawk said:
Ocarina of Time is never "just" Ocarina of Time.

If you really want to play Ocarina of Time you can get it from the Virtual Console.

Neiteio said:
Ocarina of Time 3D is what I want to see most.

I want to see the kingdom of my childhood reborn with brand-new art assets and silky smooth animation... I want to see Hyrule Castle gleaming in the setting sun, and Ganon's Castle beneath a boiling black sky... I want to walk slowly, reverently, through the Temple of Time and examine the Spiritual Stones glistening on the altar...

I want to see the dragon Volvagia spiraling through the smoke of the Fire Temple before plunging into lava... I want to see Phantom Ganon galloping out of a painting of a haunted hollow in the Forest Temple...

I want to grab a cucco and sail into the ravine at Gerudo Valley, and swan-dive off the waterfall in Zora's Domain... I want to see the Goron leader, Darunia, dancing to the beat of Saria's Song, or the Great Deku Tree recounting how the world was created before wilting away and dying...

I want to use my boomerang to sever tentacles in the soft, squishy innards of Jabu-Jabu's Belly... I want to grapple a blood-soaked Dead Hand at the bottom of Kakariko's well...

I want to see good ol' Dampe trudging through the rain, unearthing graves, and the spirits of the twin composers, Flat and Sharp, at the far end of the graveyard, and the bit where lightning splits the tombstone en route to the Sun's Song...

I want to run through Hyrule Field, fleeing Peahats by day, shambling Stalchildren by night... I want to while away the hours fishing at Lake Hylia, selling masks to a guard who wants to make his kid smile, or milking cows with Epona's Song at Lon Lon Ranch...

I want to see Ganondorf burst out of the rubble of his collapsed castle, flash the Triforce of Power on the back of his hand and transform into a hulking, hooved monstrosity so bad-ass that unlike every other boss in the game, he needs no subtitle, just his name in bold 72-size font: GANON.

All in the palm of my hands... In widescreen... And immersive, richly layered stereo 3D... With a clutter-free HUD and your Equipment, Invetory, Map and Status subscreens available at your fingertips... Adventuring on the go... *touches self*

And people wonder why I'm not excited for the 3DS.

Regulus Tera said:
If you really want to play Ocarina of Time you can get it from the Virtual Console.

And people wonder why I'm not excited for the 3DS.

Because they're remaking one of the most heralded games of all times?
That's an odd reason.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wonder if a Wind Waker remake with extra dungeons will ever be in the works. Because that would trump OOT for me for sure.

Neiteio

Though I just waxed poetic about OoT, Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. That said, I obviously LOVE OoT. I can't wait to see it portable and more gorgeous than ever. The GameCube-grade art assets, revamped animations and rock-solid framerate are reason enough to give it another go, as are the streamlined HUD, touchscreen enhancements and widescreen 3D. Plus, each purchase of OoT 3D means Nintendo has that much more incentive to make a MM 3D!

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The point is pack-ins are not free, they make the system more expensive. I repeat, it would make more sense to sell the hardware cheaper, and recoup money from first-party sales and third party royalties. It doesn't make sense to make a system slightly more expensive by adding a pack-in-game. For the Wii, it worked, but that was a casual phenomenon that took christmas and adults non gamers by storm.
they couldn't afford to sell the wii for $200 here. adding a pack in game adds to the cost, but the *value* it adds to the consumer isn't linear with the manufacturing cost it adds.

adding Wii sports to the Wii made the sale 'it's $250 with a game'. had it been (guessing here) $240 without a game, that wouldn't have been as easy a sale even though it would have been $10 cheaper.

it's believed that something similar is happening in japan with the cradle and the packed in AR stuff.

none of that is free to add, but it makes the package seem better value than the package without them would seem. the perceived value they add, is more than the actual cost of adding them.

and yeah, it worked for the Wii. i love how you discount that by saying 'but the Wii was a phenomenon'. the pack in was part of the phenomenon. it wasn't incidental, it contributed to it.

Wouldn't it be nice if they announced that you can transfer your virtual console games to your 3DS and play them there? Like PSOne classic on your PSP.

Instant purchase in that case. Legal portable classic console gaming.

It could be a gold mine.

[Nintex]

Emonga said:
I hope Midna is somehow going to be shoehorned/retconned into OoT 3DS. It'll be super awkward and super awesome.
I've been thinking about this, maybe they'll add scenes or story parts to make the timeline work better. Ever since Aonuma said it's real that could be possible.

At the same time I fear that there'll be one bad game design decision involved. Like you can only aim your bow and arrow using the tilt sensors.

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:
I've been thinking about this, maybe they'll add scenes or story parts to make the timeline work better. Ever since Aonuma said it's real that could be possible.

At the same time I fear that there'll be one bad game design decision involved. Like you can only aim your bow and arrow using the tilt sensors.

you can beat the bunny-guy but you have to run with your 3DS during the race.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Dogfacedgod said:
Wouldn't it be nice if they announced that you can transfer your virtual console games to your 3DS and play them there? Like PSOne classic on your PSP.

It could be a gold mine.
Iwata: (laughs)

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:

It's the only version of the game I don't have. Maybe I should get it just to have it.
I wouldn't ever do that.

I haven't played OoT since 2003, and I haven't played the original since 1999. OOT3D will be my fourth time through the game, making it the only game I'll have completed start-to-finish four times.

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't wonder, I just don't care.

care about what?

I think I'll rebuy Ocarina. I played it only once after all since I'm not into replaying games ad nauseam, but I need to find the goddamn Skulltula in the Deku Tree, the ONLY one I missed

Dogfacedgod said:

It could be a gold mine.
Somehow I doubt you'll be able to transfer your PSOne classics from your PSP to your 3DS...

Boney

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
care about what?

I think I'll rebuy Ocarina. I played it only once after all since I'm not into replaying games ad nauseam, but I need to find the goddamn Skulltula in the Deku Tree, the ONLY one I missed
About el chicano.

I really don't care for Ocarina here. Played it twice to completion and started it a few times as well. Maybe if my bro gets it I'll give it a spin.

Top Bottom