• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: METALLICA

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

These sellout were one as metal as steel, but now to the label owners kneel.

Love most of their classic albums. While there are a few nice songs in the later ones, nothing beats the first three albums. RIP Burton, may you rock the heavens.

Edit: Fav song... Motor breath right now.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Combichristoffersen said:
First three albums are gold. Agreed
AJFA has dreadful production and is boring as Hell. Agreed
The s/t album is pretty good, although I'm sick of it. Agreed
Load/ReLoad are probably my fave albums behind MoP and RtL. ARGHH they are TERRIBLE.
Garage Inc. is fun. OK
S&M is a snorefest. No Leaf Clover is good though. Wrong. S&M is awesome.
lol St. Anger LOL
Death Magnetic is kinda OK. Weak

Iron Maiden are better.
>>> hahaha hell no
My opinion right there.

Azuran

Banned
Top 2 for sure. The only reason they're not first is because Dave Mustaine owns that spot for life.

Combichristoffersen said:
First three albums are gold.
AJFA has dreadful production and is boring as Hell.
The s/t album is pretty good, although I'm sick of it.
Load/ReLoad are probably my fave albums behind MoP and RtL.
Garage Inc. is fun.
S&M is a snorefest. No Leaf Clover is good though.
lol St. Anger
Death Magnetic is kinda OK.

Iron Maiden are better.

Would agree 100%, except for the fact that I completely love AJFA and hate Load/Reload except for a few songs.

Judas Priest > Iron Maiden

JesusTom

Orion is definitly one of the bass songs ever, such great production and incredibly well written. I personally like all their albums, but AJFA is my favorite

Scottify

For me, it was listening to Master of Puppets that really got me into taking my guitar playing seriously. They are my greatest influence in terms of song structure and meanings behind songs. They are definitely tops in my list.

My top 5 songs are:
Master of Puppets
Leper Messiah
Creeping Death
Blackened
...And Justice For All

Been a fan for a long time. I can remember the release of Master. Yeah, I'm old.

Kill 'Em All is more fondly remembered than actually great. Lightning is inconsistent, but oh those mighty highs. Master is similar. Justice is their best, questionable production but the songwriting -- and let's be honest, that's always their limiting factor -- is their strongest. Black is snooze-inducing. Load/Re-load are interesting, but far from essential. St. Anger isn't as bad as people say; questionable production again, but a couple of songs are worthy. Death Magnetic is good stuff, couple of really strong tracks that are their best since Justice, but the mastering is god-awful bad, and I'm no audiophile.

I was at the second night of taping for S&M, had seen them before but obviously not with an orchestra. A few older, fancy types were in the crowd -- Symphony season ticket holders was our guess. One of these guys got up with his wife after just a few minutes. Scared off by guitar chords, maybe. Not at all sure, but it really looked like Francis Ford Coppola. Would be funny if that were the case. Saw Chris Cornell solo in the same venue, unbelievable singer.

Iron Maiden better? Maybe ... tough to say. Both have several albums essential for anyone with even a passing interest in metal. But, if you're gonna make this case, you've gotta contend with the fact that Maiden has released some really awful dreck. Prayer, anyone? Even Piece of Mind has Quest for Fire on it, yuck.

gunther

Azuran said:
Top 2 for sure. The only reason they're not first is because Dave Mustaine owns that spot for life.

Would agree 100%, except for the fact that I completely love AJFA and hate Load/Reload except for a few songs.

Judas Priest > Iron Maiden

<3

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Azuran said:
No Prayer for the Dying and the Blaze Bayle era lower their status as the best.

No Prayer and the Blaze albums are good. A Matter of Life and Death is the real stinker in their catalogue. What an utter fucking failure of an album. Shitsux.

Defending Prayer and putting down Life and Death? Really? I've heard people say that Life and Death is boring, but at no point does its awfulness induce laughter. Prayer does, every time.

Anyway, back on topic. Also saw Metallica when they headlined Lollapalooza. Actually went to several of them. It was interesting to see the alterna-punk hardliners get their panties in a bunch. By this time, we were smart enough to sneak in containers for water instead of paying through the nose. Knowing people with jobs in water treatment can be helpful. They've got containers of every conceivable size and shape, so it was easy to find a few that could be collapsed into a small pack.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MrSunshine said:
Defending Prayer and putting down Life and Death? Really? I've heard people say that Life and Death is boring, but at no point does its awfulness induce laughter. Prayer does, every time.

AMoLaD is easily the shittiest album they've ever done. By far. Shit production, shit songs, shit lyrics. Fucking turd. Not that Prayer is anywhere near as good as their albums from Killers to Seventh Son, but it's way, way above AMoLaD.

yacobod

Banned
all hail the gateway drug to better heavy metal. metallica is good for what they are, but lets not go overboard. the band really started to go down hill the moment cliff burton died in 1986.

kill em all and ride the lightning are still great. i can't really get into master of puppets anymore, and the rest of their music is pretty boring. AJFA like others have really said is too monotonous, the songs are usually too long for their own good, and outside of dyer's eve they mostly suck. bob rock & money were the final nail in the coffin.

Their contribution to metal is undeniable. Their first 3 records rank among the best the genre has to offer. AJFA was killed by shit production, although I'm partial to The Shortest Straw, my favorite track. Everything after that is hit or miss and heavily dependant on the listener's preferences. Death Magnetic has a couple of neat tracks, but it has a shit sound. Horrible and unforgivable on a band their size.

Never been able to watch them live. Hope I can before someone dies (either them or me, lol).

Definitely the kings of their genre. Every metal band wishes they had 1/4 the success that metallica did. Hell...mustaine is still crying about it 30 years later.

That sounds like I don't like dave, but even though he is a bitter baby I still like megadeth and a bunch of other 80s metal bands but nothing any of them made stand up to the first 4 metallica albums.

CloudWolf

Kill 'Em All is flawless
Ride the Lightning has some flaws, but is a great album overall
Master of Puppets is one of the most overrated albums of all time. The title track, Orion and Welcome Home are three of my favorite thrash metal songs of all time, but the rest of the album is utterly forgettable.
...And Justice for All is boring
The Black Album is okay
Load and ReLoad are mediocre
St. Anger is a joke
Death Magnetic is one of the worst rock/metal albums of 2008

All my opinion of course

Aske

I used to love Metallica as a kid, but Lars' shitty drumming killed all their songs for me when I listened to more bands and found out how percussion ought to sound. Such a strong band let down by such a crucial component of their music. Ironically I don't mind Load, because Lars' style suits the music so much better; even though it's not really the kind of music I prefer.

yacobod

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Their contribution to metal is undeniable. Their first 3 records rank among the best the genre has to offer.

i don't think they really contributed really anything to metal in the grand scheme of things. we're not talking about the first 5 or 6 black sabbath albums here guys.

Hellcrow

Favorite song is And Justice For All.

They played it in 2006, when I saw them for the first time. It was awesome.

I thought Death Magnetic was one of the most shockingly good comeback albums I've ever heard, production/mastering issues aside. "All Nightmare Long" is probably my favorite Metallica song, and I've been a fan since the early days.

Orion totally blew me away when i first heard it. Death Magnetic was a step in a right direction, especially all nightmare long.

To those people saying that Lars' drumming nowadays is beyond shitty and he constantly compromises/even totally skips the bass drum: could you post some examples? Not that I don't believe you, but I would love to see some of that.

Never been a fan of the little guy. Not ever.

Nisa65

J. M. Romeo said:
To those people saying that Lars' drumming nowadays is beyond shitty and he constantly compromises/even totally skips the bass drum: could you post some examples? Not that I don't believe you, but I would love to see some of that.

Never been a fan of the little guy. Not ever.

Watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCJajVY_ucI

I think Lars' drumming on AJFA is pretty good, he's no Gene Hoglan but he was decent enough.

yacobod said:
i don't think they really contributed really anything to metal in the grand scheme of things. we're not talking about the first 5 or 6 black sabbath albums here guys.
Well, I'd argue that helping forge what is now known as thrash metal (along with other bands, ofc) is a significant contribution, but if Sabbath is our point of comparison, then no band's contribution is going to be good enough.

Seanspeed

Banned
This gonna be a long post......<deep breath>

I'm into much heavier stuff nowadays, but I was a massive Metallica nut for quite a while, and they were definitely a huge influence in my growth as a guitar player. At one point, I could play pretty much every single Metallica song, rhythm or lead all the way through. Not exaggerating, either.

First off, I will say that James Hetfield IS Metallica. He's the guy who writes the memory-cementing riffs, he has a great sense of melody and he can sing and play simultaneously as good as anyone I've ever seen. I think Kirk Hammett is a decent lead guitarist, but he falls into the same rut over and over again. The bassist hasn't been important since Cliff Burton. And I just hate Lars so much that I couldn't begin to give him credit even if he deserves some. Hetfield is simply a rhythm guitar GOD and its this that I think really made Metallica so great.

My first Metallica album was the Black album. Despite being a bit softer and more commercial, I still feel it was one of their strongest albums in terms of great songwriting. I honest dont even like 'Enter Sandman' and a couple other of the popular songs, but songs like 'Dont Tread on Me', 'The God that Failed' and 'Dont Tread on Me' are seriously awesome.

Then I heard 'Fade to Black' on the radio one day. I pretty much immediately went out and got Ride the Lightning, which became glued in my CD player for about a month(again, not exaggerating). I still think that one song is possibly one of the top 10 greatest songs ever written, and its impact on me as a musician and a music-lover cant be overstated. I can still listen to the beginning of that song and get goose-bumps. The rest of the CD is decent, but other than 'Call of Cthulu' and 'Creeping Death', I think its an overrated Metallica album. It was also super annoying that the whole thing somehow was mixed at about a 1/4 note above standard tuning, which made playing along with it and sounding right very hard!

My next album was 'Kill em All'. You can definitely tell its a very rough Metallica at this stage with a much bigger punk-style influence than you'd hear from their other stuff. 'The Four Horsemen' is my favorite track by far. 'Motorbreath' was also pretty great(I'd love to see a proper modern punk band cover this song). Aside from their newest stuff, its still probably my least favorite Metallica album.

Onto Master of Puppets. First off, I'm not a fan of the title track. I dont get what makes it great other than the middle part of the song when it gets melodic. But there's a LOT on the rest of the CD that is great. Of course, 'Orion' is easily one of the best Metallica songs ever. While the guitars are amazing in the song, its only because Cliff's bass melody really set the tone and influence. 'Welcome Home(Sanitarium)' is another obvious classic. 'Battery' and 'Damage Inc' are two other [brutal]standouts.

And Justice for All. My favorite. Its flawed, of course. Like people have said, you cant hear the bass. The songs are all incredibly long, overly complex and drawn out(not a single song has any vocals before 1:00 for instance!). Kirk's leads weren't very good and didn't sound all that great either(I think he used a Strat for much of the lead work on this CD, which was a BAD choice). But its the riffs and the heaviness(I love the mid-scooped guitar tone) and the bleak themes that really make this CD into something great. And really, every song on this album is great. My favorites are 'Harvester of Sorrow', 'Eye of the Beholder', 'Dyers Eve' and 'To Live is to Die'. Great songs.

And so we reach 'new' Metallica. First off, I actually really like Load. This is coming from somebody who has moved on to much heavier stuff than Metallica, too. I didn't like the direction they moved in, but judged on its own merits, I think Load was a pretty great album. Very well-written, some good riffs, and probably the height of Hetfield as a vocalist. Some of the popular stuff was garbage, especially 'King Nothing', but there was some real gems. 'Bleeding Me' is possibly one of the best Metallica songs ever and 'The Thorn Within' is pretty epic.

Reload was just more of the same, so I felt the album title was apt. I think 'The Memory Remains', 'The Unforgiven II' and 'Carpe Diem Baby' were all pretty good songs. Nothing super great, but something I wouldn't complain seeing in a playlist, ya know?

But then there was St.Anger and Death Magnetic. Trash. Absolute TRASH. I cant believe how bad they are. I'm not a close-minded music guy, but I cant understand how they ever wrote this stuff and thought it was a good idea to release it. St.Anger especially has to be one of the worst produced/mixed albums by a big-money band in history. I know they did it on purpose, but it only works when the songs are decent, which they aren't even close. Metallica past their prime is an understatement.

I dont really listen to them that much anymore, but I still love this band due to their role in my becoming a proper musician and fan of heavy music. I think I'm gonna put on 'Dyers Eve'. :)

benita

Banned
Whisky in the Jar is pretty much the best cover ever and my go-to karaoke song.

I think i'm the only person that really likes St Anger. I just love that it's so different. Almost like an aural palate cleanser. I don't know, taking the snares off just makes it sound 'fresh' to me for lack of a better term.

My only quibble with the band is that turning the bass down on AJFA to fuck Newsted was pretty disgraceful. Compromising the integrity and quality of the album as part of some sort of hazing ritual? That's bullshit man.

BTW, if you haven't seen Some Kind of Monster, rush out and buy it right now. Best documentary ever.

yacobod

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Well, I'd argue that helping forge what is now known as thrash metal (along with other bands, ofc) is a significant contribution

i'm sure their success helped get other thrash bands get signed later in the 80s, but overall i don't think they contributed all that much to the overall sound or direction of thrash in general. although i will admit in 91 or 92 w/e the black album dropped, there was a big shift among a lot of the trash bands to streamline or simplify their songs after the huge success of TBA, but i digress. the bay area scene was huge at the time, metallica just so happened to be the most successful band out of that scene.

bonded by blood was a stronger debut than kill em all, and i'm pretty sure most of that material predates kill em all, and slayer's show no mercy is better imo.

Hayvic

Never heard of the band but they sound like they're ripping off Linkin' Park.

Every single track on Garage Inc was miles better than the original

Metallica is a MACHINE.
A Juggernaut.
After songs like Fade to Black, Dyer's Eve, For Whom the Bell tolls and nearly all of And Justice For All.

They set the bar so funking high. I've seen new bands come up and rock marginally harder - in a controlled chaos way (like Mastodon) but they set the bar so fucking high. So early. Dyer's Eve is just a locomotive of a song. The guys, I think even James Hetfield may have sad this, but the group says they don't see how they could make a more progressive song than Dyer's Eve. And you old timers like me have sure have seen plenty of failed attempts by Metallica. And also of course many incredible songs.

It was Master of Puppets, Ride the Lighting and In Justice for All that makes me think they should hang it up with the new stuff for awhile. And then come back rested enough to give it a second go.

I've been disappointed with nearly every song since And Justice For All except the song 'Frantc'.

Dyer's Eve and Fade to Black are unparalleled, from where I sit. they were good and not up their own asses until much later when they became the Janet Reno of metal (piracy activism. Regardless they were SO GOOD at that point in time.

What I would do to hear another release as core and hard and uppoligizingly wild as And Justice For All. Screw the mainstream appeal. They come out with something as insane like that - it would shut people up the way Kanye's MBDTF shut people up.

Nisa65

yacobod said:
i'm sure their success helped get other thrash bands get signed later in the 80s, but overall i don't think they contributed all that much to the overall sound or direction of thrash in general. although i will admit in 91 or 92 w/e the black album dropped, there was a big shift among a lot of the trash bands to streamline or simplify their songs after the huge success of TBA, but i digress. the bay area scene was huge at the time, metallica just so happened to be the most successful band out of that scene.

bonded by blood was a stronger debut than kill em all, and i'm pretty sure most of that material predates kill em all, and slayer's show no mercy is better imo.

If you watch the documentary Get Thrashed, you'll hear a lot of the 80s thrash bands cite Metallica as a major influence. Mustaine seems to get a lot of the credit for the early thrash sound from the likes of Kerry King & Scott Ian. If Exodus' music pre-dates Metallica's work on Kill Em All then a part of the credit should go to Kirk Hammet who was a founding member along with Paul Baloff. Either way Metallica, like it or not, did play a big part in the creation of 80s thrash.

NGAMER9

Love Metallica, one of the first metal bands I got into, and I can still listen to them to this day. I agree with the others though, James is Metallica, Lars is an awful drummer and Kirk is just kinda there, occasionally throwing out a good solo and occasionally just playing a bunch of random wah nonsense.

Kill Em All-pretty good, production kinda dates it
Ride The Lightning/Master of Puppets-their best, classic albums in the genre
And Justice For All-still great, but the fake triggered drums and lack of bass make it hard to listen to
The Black Album-Good, overplayed a lot, but Of Wolf and Man is great
Load/ReLoad-a bunch of good songs and a bunch of awful songs thrown together, definitely a few gems though
St. Anger-we all know
Death Magnetic-alright, but I'd but it more towards the bottom of a favorite list, certainly not above the first four albums

I have to stress though that Metallica fans NEED to download the fan made Death Magnetic remaster from the Guitar Hero stems, it sounds a million times better and makes the songs much more enjoyable. People that know nothing about sound quality will be able to easily hear the difference.

Edit: Not just any remix either, there've been a few people that remixed it fantastically and some that didn't know what they were doing, seek out "Mark III" if you want it.

Mileena

Banned
No Kill em All songs in the OP. OP is fail.

The Four Horsemen is their best song. Kill em All is their best album, by far.

Zeliard

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
...And Justice for All was their best album for me by far.

The drums sounded so raw and the vocals were the best and musically, it was an unrivaled masterpiece.

The lyrical guitars on that album, too. Simply beautiful. Metallica had a lot of melodic ability (huge Burton impact/influence there) and I think that set them apart from many other similar bands.

yacobod said:
metallica is good for what they are, but lets not go overboard. the band really started to go down hill the moment cliff burton died in 1986.

pretty much.

For me in order:
Ride The Lightning - production is top notch, pretty much perfect performance/delivery from everyone.
Master Of Puppets - over produced, but the songwriting is top notch. A couple of filler songs that I fucking hate (Leper Messiah and Things That Should Not Be)
Kill 'Em All - Raw, simple, and energetic. Catchy and to the point. DAVE MUSTAINE.

every other album can go fuck themselves. AJFA is a shitty produced, dry, bland, and flat album. Complete mess.

What really gets me are the die hard Metallica fans who love their earlier stuff but are closed minded about the similar bands of the thrash heydays.

Yousefb

Some pics from the concert in '09 (sorry for the cell phone quality)

n544525472_5646016_4656.jpg

n544525472_5646009_2496.jpg

n544525472_5646017_4966.jpg

n544525472_5646018_5301.jpg

Here's Lars getting ready to spit a jet stream of water at the adoring fans lol
n544525472_5646023_6930.jpg

There were 4 huge "coffins" on the ceiling, and at the end of the concert they opened up and so many big ass Metallica balloon balls fell from the sky haha it was awesome
n544525472_5646026_7889.jpg

Slappers Only

Zeliard said:
The lyrical guitars on that album, too. Simply beautiful. Metallica had a lot of melodic ability (huge Burton impact/influence there) and I think that set them apart from many other similar bands.
I'd be willing to bet that most of what found its way to 'Justice had already been written while Cliff was still around.

Their music remained decent -- certainly competent -- in a very different way once Bob Rock came on.

After Bob Rock stopped writing their music for them, it became evident that Lars, James, and Kirk don't have any idea what the fuck they're doing. Death Magnetic is pure, unadulterated racket. Pedestrian, compositionally bankrupt garbage.

I am still a fan. Mostly with respect for their legacy, however, these days.

Saw them in '86, when they opened up for Ozzy in Houston. Blew me away and I've been a fan ever since. Haven't liked a lot of their stuff since the got in bed with Bob Rock, but there are some gems in the pile. I actually like Death Magnetic; it's the kind of musical evolution I was hoping to see rather than what came out of the black album. Too bad it was so late in the game, though.

And to those that have a problem with the lack of bass in ...And Justice for All, I've always thought it was intentional to leave it out/extremely low in the mix. It was the musical equivalent of the missing man IMO, so it never really bothered me. It's by far their best work, and I even concocted a conspiracy theory of my own that the lyrics were ghost written by someone else, because Hetfield has never come close to replicating that quality. :)

Metallica was one of, if not the most, influential band for me growing up. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom