• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Previews and footage hitting the web

Cornbread78

looking good, I really can't wait, my first online game was R1, it created my love for online gaming, it's a blessing and a curse, lol. I can't wait for it's release in:

Countdown: Until Resistance 3 Release Date:, has 54 day 10 hour 21 min 15 sec.

Not that I'm counting down or anything.....

My Birthday is on the 7th of September. My brother has already committed to getting me the EU Special Edition. Will be a hard two days to wait by the looks of things.

Sony have been missing a big September game in the past. Should do nicely for them, particularly as this launches before Gears 3.

3D and Move. I think this will look and play gorgeous.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Give me a Beta key and I will tell you if its good or not, got to do it fast you dont want to miss that September deadline

Cesar

Banned
This looks ace! Day one.
Lighting really is big step up from the previous games. Cutscene to gameplay transitions seems good too.

BeeDog

RavenFox said:
Man so much shit being thrown around on screen its mind-blowing. Previews make me happy

Well, if your game is running in a seriously sub-HD resolution it better fill the frickin' screen up.

RavenFox

Banned
BeeDog said:
Well, if your game is running in a seriously sub-HD resolution it better fill the frickin' screen up.
How serious? It still looks phenomenal.
Confirmed or basing off the demo?
Jason's Ultimatum said:
What's up with the resolution in the videos?
First time at gametrailers I presume? Sub HD or not that's how their vids are presented.

BeeDog

madmook said:
It's not gonna be native 720p?

RavenFox said:
How serious? It still looks phenomenal.
Confirmed or basing off the demo?

Meisadragon said:
Wtf is it confirmed?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1564094&postcount=2707

Yes, it's demo code, but I can't recall one single game that has bumped its resolution between demo and retail. They might fix the poorly implemented AA, but I would assume the resolution will stay the same, since it's the same resolution used in their other PS3 games. Pretty damn lame if you ask me, especially with this being their 6th PS3 game.

I am definitely one of those people that loved R1, and mostly liked R2 so I am super excited to see a bunch of people with positive things to say about R3. Hopefully I get in the MP beta, and if not I will have to look for the game at PAX.

BeeDog

French said:

From Beyond3D:

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction = 960x704 (2xAA, AA samples used to reconstruct 720p)
Ratchet & Clank: A Crank in Time = 960x704 (2xAA, AA samples used to reconstruct 720p)
Resistance: Fall of Man = 1280x720 (QAA)
Resistance 2 = 1280x720 (QAA)

Either way, I wouldn't hope for a resolution bump, seeing as how many framerate issues there are currently.

Bowdz

Kudos to the entire art department. The game looks EXACTLY like what I always imagined the Resistance world looking like after R1. They absolutely nailed the tone. Day one without a doubt.

KAL2006

Banned
Loudninja said:
You should play the first 2 dude.

No thanks, from what I remember playing Resistance 1 back in the day, it was just average, though this was a long time ago, and it was played with a friend in co-op splitscreen. As for Resistance 2, I heard it is even worse than Resistance 1. So I doubt I will go back and play the old games, though if this new one gets good reviews I may have to check it out.

Bowdz said:
Kudos to the entire art department. The game looks EXACTLY like what I always imagined the Resistance world looking like after R1. They absolutely nailed the tone. Day one without a doubt.

Fkin this!

Also, I never knew the Chimera did in fact come from space!

Always loved the mystery of R1 where they just showed up in Russia...

VanWinkle

Looks pretty awesome. I'm excited. I wish the image quality was better though. I couldn't believe how bad it was in the boat demo that I played. I was watching the cutscene at the beginning and thought it looks awesome and then it started and hit me like a ton of bricks with it's blurriness and jagginess. Maybe it will be better in the actual game.

MrPliskin

Banned
BeeDog said:

Cry moar. Go build a fucking PC, I'll enjoy good games. Go ruin gaming for someone else :)

Cornbread78 said:
It's a PS3 exclusive, they are often negative....just saying..

Exclusivity has nothing to do with it, Duke Nukem Forever had fairly decent previews. Not that Resistance is anywhere near that steaming pile of shit.

Loudninja

examiner hands on
The dark browns, beiges, general earth tones, combined with the improved texturing do a lot in making Resistance 3 a marked visual improvement over the last game. One section that featured Goliaths in the distance, covered in fog felt especially imposing with a War of The Worlds vibe. The sound is equally compelling, where the music in the Oklahoma chapters are ominous in tone similar to Howard Shore's work in Se7en. There's also an impessive section in Chapter 6 that sounds inspired by James Horner's pieces near the end of Aliens. It's tension-inducing stuff. It's this overall sense of atmosphere that looks to sets Resistance 3 apart from previous installments.
http://www.examiner.com/gaming-lifestyle-in-national/resistance-3-hands-on-the-first-7-chapters

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Skimmed a couple of them since I don't want to be spoiled but this is the FPS campaign I've been most excited for in a long time. The atmosphere and art look fantastic.

BeeDog

MrPliskin said:
Cry moar. Go build a fucking PC, I'll enjoy good games. Go ruin gaming for someone else :)

Sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to comment on what I find highly disappointing, especially with it being the third fucking entry in a PS3 series. Don't read the posts if they somehow manage to offend you that much.

Hypereides

Gold Member
So Resistance 2 is finally coming out I see... About time!

And its looking slippery saucesome. Many hearts to you James and Insomniac crew!

AgentOtaku said:
Fkin this!

Also, I never knew the Chimera did in fact come from space!

Always loved the mystery of R1 where they just showed up in Russia...
Well I follow the lore and I wasn't sure they came from space either.
Near the end of 2, you find out (I think)
that the current chimera infection comes from experiments where they were injecting people with the DNA of some ancient race. The story was that there used to be two races on Earth waging war, the 'old chimera' and some other race (not made clear) If they said at that point the chimera are from space I didn't realize that. The other race destroyed the chimera with the network of towers that the chimera have been digging up since the first game. Their goal is to use those towers to bring the original chimera back. They failed but it's still unclear to me if either of the two races, chimera included, were ever from space of Earth

Pai Pai Master said:
ARC CHARGER!?

:D :D :D

That's a new one called the Atomizer. It's the same weapon the Ravagers carry around. When you get your hands on it.... :)

It's probably my favorite crowd control weapon. You toss out the secondary fire orb which kinda creates a vacuum that pulls enemies into it. They crawl and struggle to escape and you can walk up and brain them with a Rossmore. It's pretty sweet.

Cornbread78

Opus Angelorum said:
Exclusivity has nothing to do with it, Duke Nukem Forever had fairly decent previews. Not that Resistance is anywhere near that steaming pile of shit.

Duke is in another whole stratusphere, lol. I'm referring to the console fanboy BS that still exists with certain reviewers in the gaming media.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sounds alright, but everyone was just as hyped and positive about R2 way back as well until the public actually played it. So we'll see...

Loudninja

Brandon F said:
Sounds alright, but everyone was just as hyped and positive about R2 way back as well until the public actually played it. So we'll see...
Oh give me a break,many of us already played the demo.I like how some people think previews are always positive.

Thrakier

Lince said:
looking good to me!

this lol, I got the 10k kills trophy (and Platinum) for a reason... to get into the R3 beta!! yesterday Sony Spain emailed me 2 codes for the Journey public beta so who knows... maybe I'll be lucky again for R3b...

Oh oh oh can I haz one?

So there's not going to be a collector's edition for the US correct? Guess I'll just pre-order the regular version. I'm ready for a quality FPS singleplayer campaign. With most FPS lately it seems like the campaign is a giant afterthought.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Loudninja said:
Oh give me a break,many of us already played the demo.I like how some people think previews are always positive.

funny, you certainly threw out a lot of crazy accusations my way there!

So as someone who really liked R1 and never got around to getting R2, is it worth it for the single player campaign? Or should I just go straight for 3? I was already spoiled on 2.

Erasus

It looks so much better than R2! The graphics (shame about sub-HD though, they need to chat up ND and Guerilla)
The artstyle is amazing! Looks a lot more of the R1 style witch I loved!!!

SoulClap

BeeDog said:
Either way, I wouldn't hope for a resolution bump, seeing as how many framerate issues there are currently.

That's a damn shame. I watched the preview videos and the IQ looked terrible. I hope it's the horrible compression in the GT videos.

I have a platinum in resistance 2 and was in the top 100 worldwide for total kills. I was also in the R2 mp beta. Maybe if someone was to, oh i dont know, shoot a beta code my way :S

Top Bottom