• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D New Screenshots

Synless

I still can't get over how Riku and Sora look younger now than in KH2. It's really minor, but is has been bothering me since I first saw the game.

So the controls magically change to not be shit and the protagonist stops being a git?

In TWEWY?
No to your first.
Yes to your second.
Though I never found a problem with the controls, it just takes some getting used to. Just focus on whichever character has the light puck. Later on you get other partners on the top screen that may have easier gimmicks to deal with for you.

Just a word of advice from someone's who has played all but two of these games. Ignore the thing they call a story. It's for your own sanity.

The story for these games is beyond ridiculous, but the gameplay is SO GOOD! It feels good to play, don't know how to describe it.

Throavium

Never got very far in TWEWY because I can't stand playing handheld games, the characters look like they fit right into the Kingdom Hearts world.

Luigiv

I still can't get over how Riku and Sora look younger now than in KH2. It's really minor, but is has been bothering me since I first saw the game.

They did that on purpose. The character are suppose to look the same age they were in KH1.

In TWEWY?
No to your first.
Yes to your second.
Though I never found a problem with the controls, it just takes some getting used to. Just focus on whichever character has the light puck. Later on you get other partners on the top screen that may have easier gimmicks to deal with for you.

Disagree, Neku stops being insufferable in one way but then opens up a whole new can of "fuck you emo kid" right afterwards. It got so bad I stopped playing the game.

It's a dream world/virtual reality training thing. It's not supposed to represent reality (especially I guess since Sora and Riku never actually visited the worlds in 3D in conscious reality)

Not to nitpick but it's not virtual reality, it's a bunch of worlds which fell into sleep at the end of KH2. The story has Sora and Riku trying to awaken those worlds back to reality by entering the dream dimension as part of their Mark of Mastery exam.

Their appearances change because they're technically dreaming.

Emitan

Not to nitpick but it's not virtual reality, it's a bunch of worlds which fell into sleep at the end of KH2. The story has Sora and Riku trying to awaken those worlds back to reality by entering the dream dimensions as part of their Mark of Mastery exam.

Oh fuck. I'll just pretend I know what's going on.

The Lamp

Not to nitpick but it's not virtual reality, it's a bunch of worlds which fell into sleep at the end of KH2. The story has Sora and Riku trying to awaken those worlds back to reality by entering the dream dimensions as part of their Mark of Mastery exam.

Oh really? I missed that I guess. So they are worlds that he traveled, we just didn't know?

Oh really? I missed that I guess. So they are worlds that he traveled, we just didn't know?

No, they're other worlds which were also engulfed in darkness during the past games. After Sora brought the worlds back from darkness, some of them didn't return completely but fell into sleep instead. He never visited those worlds before. This game has them trying to bring those worlds back.

The subbed version of the latest trailer explains it pretty well. Turn on the CC button and watch from here.

Emitan

So now that a Kingdom Hearts game is on a platform with support for DLC what are the odds of Final Mix being DLC and released in the west?

Why are you all laughing at me?!

Luigi87

To make matters worse, unlike PSP, we're back into region locking!

I mean, I modded my PS2 so I could import KH2FM+... But well, that's kind of a non-option here for when 3DFM comes eventually.

Thoraxes

Only those who've put in all the time in every game installment know what's going on, really.

Maybe they'll do a recap for the newcomers or something.

Throavium

Only those who've put in all the time in every game installment know what's going on, really.

Maybe they'll do a recap for the newcomers or something.
I've played and beaten every game except for coded, and I have no idea what's going on. When I read the story for DDD, I understand it for a few minutes, then I come back to question what the fuck Nomura is thinking.

Berordn

I've played and beaten every game except for coded, and I have no idea what's going on. When I read the story for DDD, I understand it for a few minutes, then I come back to question what the fuck Nomura is thinking.

Coded is actually the one that explains the set-up here. It's not like anything really makes sense until we see what the whole story in DDD is anyway, and this game just seems like a fun excuse to revisit some of the classic Disney characters in different roles.

Let me see if I can sum up the main story relatively quickly.

KH BbS:
Keyblade users Aqua, Ven, and Terra take the Mark of Mastery exam to become Keyblade Masters. Respected Keyblade Master Xenahort, apprentice of Ansem the Wise, betrays the good guys, steals Terra's body, freezes Ven, but is defeated in a final battle with Aqua who becomes the only one of the three to achieve the rank of Master. Aqua sacrifices herself and falls into the world of darkness to save Terra's possessed body, which loses its heart. When you lose your heart you split into a Heartless and Nobody. The resulting Heartless takes on the name Ansem, and the Nobody takes on the name Xemnas.

KH1:
Heartless plunge worlds into darkness and Ansem, now in an aged Terra's body, tries to take over the multiverse. He is defeated by Sora, who briefly transforms into a Heartless before being restored.

KH CoM:
Sora meets Organization XIII, the Nobodies of Xenahort's original accomplices. He also meets Namine, who is a special Nobody spawned from Kairi. He is put into sleep so that he can become whole.

KH 358/2:
Some Organization XIII garbage which doesn't really matter. Lots of emphasis on Roxas, the Nobody of Sora which spawned when he became a Heartless in KH1. He is defeated in a battle with Riku, who now looks like Ansem after taking some of Ansem's power when Ansem tried to possess him. Riku kidnaps Roxas to put him back together with Sora to complete his friend.

KH2:
The original Ansem who was betrayed by Xenahort, having taken on the title DiZ, recruits Riku's help in getting revenge on his old apprentice. He recombines Roxas into Sora, who goes on to fight Organization XIII and the Nobodies. Namine is recombined into Kairi, Riku purges the darkness inside him and reverts back to his usual appearance, and Xemnas is defeated. The original Ansem falls into the world of darkness and runs into Master Aqua, who has been wandering there since BbS.

KH Coded:
As far as I can tell this game didn't really matter, just the epilogue which revealed that when somebody's Heartless and Nobody are both destroyed, the original individual is revived. With both Ansem and Xemnas gone, Master Xenahort has resurrected, foreshadowing the ultimate conflict in KH3.

KH 3D:
In order to counter the threat of Xenahort, Mickey and Yen Sid summon Sora and Riku so that they can take the Mark of Mastery exam like Aqua before them. As part of this exam, they must plunge into sleep to rescue worlds that have been lost in dreams.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Let me see if I can sum up the main story relatively quickly.

KH BbS:
Keyblade users Aqua, Ven, and Terra take the Mark of Mastery exam to become Keyblade Masters. Respected Keyblade Master Xenahort, apprentice of Ansem the Wise, betrays the good guys, steals Terra's body, freezes Ven, but is defeated in a final battle with Aqua who becomes the only one of the three to achieve the rank of Master. Aqua sacrifices herself and falls into the world of darkness to save Terra's possessed body, which loses its heart. When you lose your heart you split into a Heartless and Nobody. The resulting Heartless takes on the name Ansem, and the Nobody takes on the name Xemnas.

KH1:
Heartless plunge worlds into darkness and Ansem, now in an aged Terra's body, tries to take over the multiverse. He is defeated by Sora, who briefly transforms into a Heartless before being restored.

KH CoM:
Sora meets Organization XIII, the Nobodies of Xenahort's original accomplices. He also meets Namine, who is a special Nobody spawned from Kairi. He is put into sleep so that he can become whole.

KH 358/2:
Some Organization XIII garbage which doesn't really matter. Lots of emphasis on Roxas, the Nobody of Sora which spawned when he became a Heartless in KH1. He is defeated in a battle with Riku, who now looks like Ansem after taking some of Ansem's power when Ansem tried to possess him. Riku kidnaps Roxas to put him back together with Sora to complete his friend.

KH2:
The original Ansem who was betrayed by Xenahort, having taken on the title DiZ, recruits Riku's help in getting revenge on his old apprentice. He recombines Roxas into Sora, who goes on to fight Organization XIII and the Nobodies. Namine is recombined into Kairi, Riku purges the darkness inside him and reverts back to his usual appearance, and Xemnas is defeated. The original Ansem falls into the world of darkness and runs into Master Aqua, who has been wandering there since BbS.

KH Coded:
As far as I can tell this game didn't really matter, just the epilogue which revealed that when somebody's Heartless and Nobody are both destroyed, the original individual is revived. With both Ansem and Xemnas gone, Master Xenahort has resurrected, foreshadowing the ultimate conflict in KH3.

KH 3D:
In order to counter the threat of Xenahort, Mickey and Yen Sid summon Sora and Riku so that they can take the Mark of Mastery exam like Aqua before them. As part of this exam, they must plunge into sleep to rescue worlds that have been lost in dreams.

Thanks, at least the summaries make things easier to understand.

Throavium

This doesn't take place long after KH2. And they have aged, they're just thrust back into their kid figures because of dreams or somesuch.
Because Nomura wanted them to be young, nothing happens in the story that suggests that their younger appearance is necessary. Or maybe he couldn't hire the voice actors. I started to like the idea that I was fighting with a teenager and not some kid.

Berordn

Because Nomura wanted them to be young, nothing happens in the story that suggests that their younger appearance is necessary. Or maybe he couldn't hire the voice actors. I started to like the idea that I was fighting with a teenager and not some kid.

It's not voice actors, since in Re:CoM they just kept the aged ones for the younger versions. And it's too early to say anything about the story. It's also fairly irrelevant, since we don't know anything about how this dream world works yet. It's also irrelevant since he's writing this trainwreck, so it doesn't matter what we care since it'll just leave a gaping plothole somewhere.

Throavium

It's not voice actors, since in Re:CoM they just kept the aged ones for the younger versions. And it's too early to say anything about the story. It's also fairly irrelevant, since we don't know anything about how this dream world works yet.
Yeah, that's true.

Seda

Gematsu just posted a lot more screens. Some old (from the recent website update), some new.

Here's a couple.

Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance_2012_01-03-12_110.jpg
Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance_2012_01-03-12_111.jpg

Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance_2012_01-03-12_091.jpg
Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance_2012_01-03-12_007.jpg

Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance_2012_01-03-12_057.jpg
Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance_2012_01-03-12_046.jpg

DarkKyo

I can't wait to see how this actually looks in 3D. Gameplay is perfect for the effect(characters doing sweet acrobatic moves in mid-air during most of the combat).

Luigiv

Interesting way of doing bullshots. The 3D graphics are antialiased but the blocky HUD is untouched. Guess that means they just enabled AA on their dev kits, took the shots and called it a day. Can't image they would have bothered with airbrushing or fake assets if they haven't touched the HUD.

Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance_2012_01-03-12_022.jpg

Uuhu, what's going on here? I hate the QTE-ish attacks
Dance minigame.

...No, I am serious! watch the trailer.

Chev

We're so early into the handheld next gen that I'm not sure if these are bullshots or the most beautiful handheld game I've ever seen. They're so clean, but the 3DS games I played haven't looked anything like this, and this is bullshot Square Enix.

All KH games from KH2 onwards have gone through bullshots at one point or another, using subdivided (ie smoother) assets and extra AA.

Top Bottom