• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Mirror's Edge 2 is "on the list" of things to do

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, i'm glad i'm not an EA employee reading GAF. It would be pretty depressing if i was.

First screen:

lP0sm.png

hahahah I like this poster.

DocSeuss

When are devs going to learn that the only way to make FPSes without competitive multiplayer sell well (and no, time trials don't count) is to give them campaigns twelve hours or more in length, rather than three and a half, and provide the players with lots of varying things to do? There's a reason Bioshock and Fallout have done well this gen, and Mirror's Edge and Bulletstorm have not.

I'm all for games without competitive multiplayer (love me some co-op glee), but they won't sell unless they're genuinely substantial games. To this day, Mirror's Edge remains one of the few game purchases I genuinely regret, because I paid $50 for it and didn't get anywhere near $50 worth. I got $10 worth of game.

Then again, DICE has never been good at releasing substantial games. They always come with a small number of maps and multiplayer modes, and those that come with campaigns don't last more than five or six hours at the very most. :(

Duffyside

Banned
Pffft, "all about what teams are available, who's got the right approach to it."

Guess this means DICE is forever stuck in Battlefield hell now. Great.

Gandie

This is sad...EA has turned Dice into a Battlefield only studio. I wonder how many employees will leave the company....surely they will get sick of making the same game over and over again.

I do want to see a Bad Company 3 on the next gen consoles though. I really loved BC2 way more than BF3

And I loved BC1 more than BC2.

Jawmuncher

It better be ME was a great game.
Though I hope they don't try to ruin it by forcing some shitty MP, and changing it to a heavy gun focus.

Look at what they did to Syndicate, then look at Dead Space 3. Also glance at Ultima and about a billion other things. I'm not really looking forward to press releases telling me about Faith not running away anymore as she is taking the fight to the enemy. They'll fix the gunplay and sometimes you get to jump maybe?

Like Brink but with more white.

I really dont know why you guys want a sequel so much. If they ever make another one me and you both know its going to be a full fledged FPS with some parkour elements in it.

Look at what they did to Syndicate, then look at Dead Space 3. Also glance at Ultima and about a billion other things. I'm not really looking forward to press releases telling me about Faith not running away anymore as she is taking the fight to the enemy. They'll fix the gunplay and sometimes you get to jump maybe?

Like Brink but with more white.

You need to be hired as EA press release czar.

If this ever happens, it'll either be a drastic departure from the original or will be a DD release. The original just didn't have enough shootbang.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Whatever happens, please, please let it retain the exact same feel, look, UE3 engine, style, everything - or else it's not even worth bringing back.

I hope another Alice game is also on that list, EA :(

Story ended perfectly in Madness Returns (so heartbreaking), doesn't really need a sequel.

The only reason I want a Mirror's Edge sequel is so they can expand on the original idea of the carrier bags being important, and having other runners alongside in a cool co-op way for a proper parkour chase. Less about some evil company and guns (did whole game without picking up one). The chase sequences were the best, like the ninjas that give chase after you.

Fuck off EA. You've been stringing us along with promises for years, by the time anything actually happens, I probably won't care anymore. At this point, I think our best hope is for a separate studio to make a spiritual sequel.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Whatever happens, please, please let it retain the exact same feel, look, UE3 engine, style, everything - or else it's not even worth bringing back.
Yes, it felt like they absolutely nailed the look and feel of the game. The sound effects, level design, colour scheme, animations, motion blur, first-person camera, everything blended together well to immerse the player. I hope they don't add a third-person camera and make the shooting mechanics more prominent in the name of accessibility. That would make me completely lose interest in the sequel. I can't believe they got it right the first time except the story and pitiful combat mechanics. I hope they omit both in the sequel, I'd be fine with that.

Muffdraul

I was playing the Battlefield 3 sp campaign recently, and I totally noticed little hints of Mirror's Edge here and there. e.g. The look of the rooftops in the first level, the ultra vivid orange paint of the building interior during the level where you play as the Russian. Nummers.

The obvious direction to go is more running and less gunning; sadly EA and DICE don't know what they're doing so this will be a crapshoot if it ever gets greenlit.

hao chi

I'm just glad they aren't saying they aren't sure if we'll get a sequel. For all the flack it gets, Mirror's Edge had some really fun moments; probably my biggest gripe though were the hundreds of pace-killing pipes you had to climb.

If they could fix some of the areas where Mirror's Edge went wrong, it could be an incredible game.

Jac_Solar

How could ME1 have lost any money though? It was a game that had running/jumping mechanics in first person set in a world with extremely simple and basic assets, along with a couple of enemy models and weapon models -- and hardly anything else.

Wouldn't it be possible for a person with lots of programming/modelling knowledge to make that game in a few weeks?

Not bashing the game, cause I like it, but it released at 60$ or so, and I'm pretty sure it could have been made by an indie developer in a few weeks/months with an engine ready. And 60$ games obviously should have considerably more content. (If it really only lasts for less than 5 hours as implied in this thread somewhere. Haven't played through it.)

Top Bottom