• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old character designs

sackboys2.jpg

sackboys3.jpg

642535_0.jpg

Vdeo

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Why Is concept juri far supior to the final product, who is the horrible person at capcom who ok'd this?

Should've made these alt costumes.

Dram

Whats this supposed to be? Is it real concept art?

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Madonna
Madonna was supposed to be a love interest for Sonic back when the original game was still in development. She was a blonde haired skinny human woman in a form-fitting red dress and was actually going to be Sonic's girlfriend. However, she was scrapped from the final game, along with other things that were to be in the story (like Sonic being in a rockband).

She was supposed to chase Sonic around like Amy Rose does in current games. She was first designed by Hirokazu Yasuhara, as a very attractive woman who would chase Sonic. She was later removed by Madeline Schroeder, her reason for removing Madonna was that she wanted to "soften" Sonic for children and foreign countries, because she thought it was too "Japanese". Madonna can also be considered the equivalent of Pauline in the original Mario game, Donkey Kong.

Goddammit the original Rufus designs were like, three million times better than what happened. Goddammit. Such a huge missed opportunity. Juri too, to a lesser extent.

Jesus they fucked that up.

edit: at first I thought this thread was going to be about the difference between video game character illustrations at their inception and their more solidified images/iconography now. Like, say: Mario on the side of the Donkey Kong cab, to Mario now. Or Ryu in SF1 and Ryu now.

Forkball

Wow those FFX artworks are pretty impressive. It's a bit wild to see how they drastically changed them.

Old Cloud from FFVII

Dota 2 has a lot of these, as the game is still in beta so it's expected.

Bloodseeker's the same, but Drow and Lina got changed (ironically they are now selling Lina's fire hair for $35).

There are a ton more, it seems pretty much every character had some major redo as the art style changed in early development.

Given the time period Sonic was in development, I could almost see the whole Madonna/ Sonic thing being inspired by Jessica Rabbit/ Roger Rabbit. Kinda makes sense since 'Who Frames Roger Rabbit' was released in 1988, while Sonic was probably in development one -two years later?

more TF2 stuff:

Some of those designs are just awesome. I love the small headed large bodied Pyro, and this soldier design here:

400px-Soldierbarettest.jpg

I would've liked to see this one. Though I can understand why they changed the head, since this characters face is shaped a bit to much like the heavy's. The final design does stand out more in its uniqueness.

Those early Rufus pics always hurt because I would have TOTALLY mained that guy if that was the final product. I like that they at least gave the outfit to Ken but that only makes it hurt some more.

kiri

Wish they kept the original concept. Toriyama's art is trash.

As much as I appreciate artistic individuality and the idea of using similar styles in various different projects (sometimes it works!!), I feel exactly the same as you in regards to Toriyama+Chrono Trigger.

Lowell and Mirania from The Last Story:

To:

The blonde guy and brunette girl in the bottom left.

iirc They changed the setting from some steampunk thing to the medieval setting we got, so those costumes reflect the early setting concept, not just character design.

Veritas_

I would've liked to see this one. Though I can understand why they changed the head, since this characters face is shaped a bit to much like the heavy's. The final design does stand out more in its uniqueness.

Likewise. I really like the WW2 carry-over look on a lot of the early concept art.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta has some pretty dope ones. Apparently Kamiya had Mari Shimazaki to HUNDREDS of prototypes for the character before deciding on a finalized one

Some of them are a bit too elaborate to really be functional in gameplay

but gat damn. Red head bayo <3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Bayonetta always seemed designed as an idealized runway model with those long legs (if not taken to complete parody).

Yup, the slender build reminds me more of those "fashion model templates". That's why I never get the criticism that she's a "slut" - she's never designed to be one.

Fandangox

Lowell and Mirania from The Last Story:

To:

The blonde guy and brunette girl in the bottom left.

Wait what this is amazing. Is it actually true?

I like Lowell and Mirania a lot but these designs are quite good.

I still love Lowell's final design though.

zomg at that Chrono Trigger concepts. Preferred art style for sure. Only one who looks noticeably better though is Ayla, the others seem rather basic but a more worked out design with that art style would be nice.

Those Juri ones...some of the concepts are definitely better.

And yes, redhead Bayonetta looks good there.

Lijik

Junction Point considered tude-fied versions of Mickey and Oswald for Epic Mickey:

Luckily unlike dreamcast-onward Sonic, these designs got canned (although honestly I did like the original incarnation of that design that was used in artwork for 3D Blast. Its a bit loopier and some of the design elements are closer to classic Sonic.)

I cant find any art of it online, but for Rayman 3 the team wanted to update Rayman's look and apparently even tried giving him limbs. Michel Ancel was involved in the process despite not touching the rest of the Rayman 3 development, and they eventually settled on the hoodie look thats been his design since.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Not sure what looks so awesome about Tidus. Actual character looks the same. They said they made his outfit outlandish to make him stand out as he came from another world. I thought people didn't like him because of his personality. Which was mostly because of a shitty voice actor. The outfit in the concept looks a little bit like.

Bahamut.jpg

Groof

Why Is concept juri far supior to the final product, who is the horrible person at capcom who ok'd this?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbivn4NhDj1qcbea7o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1364194826&Signature=8fpy%2BlknNegrXVmwsj7ASd%2BSYK0%3D#_=_[IMG]

[IMG]http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2010/05/12_juriconcept.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh man yesss... one day I wish all of these will become DLC. Some of them are so good compared to what we got.

I love seeing stuff like this, I love tracking the progress of a character's design.

They also had a western artist named Wes Burt do some concepts for Bayo, I love his work on Infamous, but I never was a fan of these designs:

The Awesomenauts devs recently posted a blog post on the evolution of their character Sheriff Lonestar.

He started out as a futuristic soldier with the ability to call in a controllable mech:
Lonestar%20Rideable%20Mech.gif

But was redesigned as a cowboy (and the mech became a holographic bull):

Lonestar%20Versions.jpg

Lonestar%20Bull.jpg

Final version:

Lonestar%20Screenshots.jpg

Can't believe people like the old FFX concept art. How would it even have worked with the story if Tidus is stronger looking than Auron?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You should play the game and see the stripper inspired movement she has.

Pole-dancing =/= stripper :p

Yeah she does that naked demon summons, but felt more of fanservice than "look at me I'm a slut" levels your typical female Western-made character does

Pole-dancing =/= stripper :p

Regardless of hair-splitting over the exact terminology, she's pretty nakedly(hurr) sexual in everything she does, with the caveat that it's supposedly "ironic" or "pastiche/parody" depending on your opinion.

fanservice than "look at me I'm a slut" levels your typical female Western-made character does

I personally wouldn't even distinguish between the two.

Anyway I prefer pretty much all those designs to her final look. Not sure what it is but that's something very off-putting to Bayonetta's design.

Top Bottom