• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild02: The Starship Damrey |OT| Nothing is more frightening than complete innocence

I don't want any specifics, especially with the (expected) short playtime, but I definitely need a couple of reviews or positive impressions before I might jump in. Can't throw my money at this without any confirmation that it doesn't suck.

Nemesis_

It's very Umm, tense. I don't know how else to explain it. I'm playing in the dark with headphones so I am really getting into the atmosphere but it is very frightening when things do happen.

The stuff that does happen isn't grotesque either, you kind of make it scary yourself, if that makes sense.

Xater

It's pretty much a simple first person adventure game with a creepy atmosphere.

Stuck at the moment because I think I know what to do I just don't know where.

Anyone know when we can expect the reviews to come in?

According to gamerankings, Crimson Shroud had reviews out before the official launch of the game (though Liberation Maiden and Aero Porter had not).

Soulhouf

The game didn't start yet and I'm already loving it.

BKZwm1bCUAArRJ0.jpg

Damn straight <3

also

Banned
Finished it, took me a bit over 3 hours to see everything.
They made a big deal about there being no tutorials but the truth is the game doesn't really need any. It's just an adventure game with simple puzzles and a somewhat creepy atmosphere (I did jump a few times). Check the controls in the manual and you will be good to go.
The basic premise of the game is
that you are trapped in a cold sleep capsule suffering from amnesia, so you use remotely controlled robots to discover what happened to you.
The controls are kind of clunky but you get used to them.
The bonus scenario offers no additional gameplay, it is just a short story.

I liked the lore and the way you unlock some of the bonus content put a big smile on my face.

I enjoyed it while it lasted, but I expected more considering it's one of the more expensive eShop releases.

Lusankya

Finished it, took me a bit over 3 hours to see everything.

Could you then please answer me this:

I suck at adventures. I found the second ID card and should be able to open a new door, but which one? I searched everywhere and can't find it.

Also what do I do with the
empty cookie jar or whatever and can I get the alcohol?

I am kinda stupid here.

also

Banned
Could you then please answer me this:
I am kinda stupid here.

Did you make sure to actually scan the ID card? You have to scan it or else you won't gain access to new rooms. Examine the body and choose the scan ID card option.
With the 2nd ID card you should be able to open the the storage room on the 2nd floor. It's the first room you come across after exiting the elevator.
Fill the cookie jar with oil from the generator room on the 1st floor. You can't get the alcohol.

Lenc Chroso

Neo Member
for those that finished the game; i finished it and have a few questions.

I finished it and have all the leeches. However I am still missing 1 portrait that of the short haired female in the archives. Also I found the silver ring, but have no clue what to do with it. any thoughts?

overall satisfied with my purchase for that want to know, very suspenseful.

Lusankya

Ah, thanks. I thought I checked every door twice, but I totally overlooked that one. :D

Edit: Actually I already checked that door, but
there is a robot attacking me and I can't get through.

Edit2: Got it.

also

Banned

I finished it and have all the leeches. However I am still missing 1 portrait that of the short haired female in the archives. Also I found the silver ring, but have no clue what to do with it. any thoughts?

You have to use the silver ring in the appropriate place. There's a hint on what to do with it in the captain's journal located on the bed in his cabin.

If you want the solution
Figure out which cabin on the 2nd floor belongs to Alex and place the ring on the desk. Afterwards exit the capsule and watch the credits roll. If you chose the right desk, you will unlock the last profile and be able to select [Alyssa] on the tittle screen. You will also be able to view ''Linked Content'' if you have any of the Guild01 games.

There is a hint about what to do with the silver ring in the captain's journal. You need to "give" it to someone.

Edit: Beaten! =)

Lenc Chroso

Neo Member
again to those that beaten the game fully (including secrets).

so i now finished everything and gotten alex profile, alyssa file & linked content. However I still have some questions regarding the ending, specificly about Alex. The ending is the same as all other endings except for a small remark at you leaving the ring at Alex her desk.

However the files don't mention what Alex has been up to and also when you inspect her pod she is in there. Nicolas sets out to fight the alien and sets the ship to self-destruct. was Nicolas to stupid to check if everyone was dead? Also she was not mentioned in the linked file so did she even know what was going on on the ship?

on another note:
Since you lost your memory I think the alien became a human in his mind after the game and I do think I'd (as the alien) let Nicolas & Alex live. At least thats what I project on the open ending. How did you guys interpreted it?

DaBoss

I think I'll wait for this game to go on sale. $8 is too steep of a price, I'm thinking about getting all Zelda VC and Liberation Maiden instead.

Makonero

I am stuck at the
attacking robot. I got the cookie tin filled with oil and I have checked all the doors, and I can't get past the robot in the storage room or the one stuck in the hall. Where do I use the oil?

Banjoman

I am stuck at the
attacking robot. I got the cookie tin filled with oil and I have checked all the doors, and I can't get past the robot in the storage room or the one stuck in the hall. Where do I use the oil?
throw the oil on the attacking robot and melt the bastard.

I am stuck at the

Heat it on the plate in the common room.

Setre

Stuck in the
lab area. I'm assuming I have to mix the three ingredients together but I can't figure out where to do that at. I'd assume it's in the lab but there's no option on the computer to mix stuff.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, I had no idea it was out already. Definitely going to download it tonight. I absolutely love Night of the Sickle Weasel.

also

Banned
Stuck in the
lab area. I'm assuming I have to mix the three ingredients together but I can't figure out where to do that at. I'd assume it's in the lab but there's no option on the computer to mix stuff.

Hint:
The ingredients supposedly make an explosive mix, have you seen anything that you wanted to blow up?

Solution:
You have to bring the ingredients one by one to the metal box that's in the lower left corner of debris that's blocking your path

Labrys

Had 8 Bucks, bought it. Less than buying a movie and I really enjoy these types of games.
I'm also really slow at games, so it may take me more than 3 hours to do everything.

BowieZ

Banned
Had 8 Bucks, bought it. Less than buying a movie and I really enjoy these types of games.
I'm also really slow at games, so it may take me more than 3 hours to do everything.
I agree with this logic.

Why do people freely pay exorbitant prices to sit in a dark room for 100 mins watching a screen filled with cliché imagery, yet balk at paying more than a few dollars to physically own a game in which they can immerse themselves for many hours?

duckroll

Where did you buy them? I went and saw Iron Man 3 the other day and while I loved it, my ticket was almost $10 IIRC

I got them for 9 bucks, but 9 bucks here is still less than the 8.40 Canadian I paid for the game on the eShop! Currencies, lol.

Labrys

I got them for 9 bucks, but 9 bucks here is still less than the 8.40 Canadian I paid for the game on the eShop! Currencies, lol.

Huh! Well, that's cool, currencies hurt my brain.

I'm going to start this tonight, should be a creepy experience indeed.

Eusis

Hmm, $7.99 seems a bit steep for a 3 hour game. But I really really want to play it D:
With a lot of games at 7.5 times the cost but only an extra 2 hours longer it's not a big deal, nevermind when you hold that price up to movies ON DISC. Hell, even in a sale at "only" $25 Spec Ops: The Line was worth it.

Zornica

Banned
even though it tells you there isn't a tutorial, it clearly tells you what to do most of the time (which isn't what I expected after I read "no tutorial")

duckroll

Played about an hour so far, taking my time with it since it's supposedly short. The pros are clearly the atmosphere and the rather unique (for a game anyway) scifi short story style scenario. The gameplay is pretty disappointing though. For an adventure game which goes "OMG NO TUTORIALS OR HINTS" it really isn't a hardcore adventure game at all. It's a pretty simplistic beginner's level game imo. Everything is telegraphed and the solutions are pretty obvious. Since the number of things you can interact with and investigate are so limited, it also feels extremely linear. Oh well.

Celine

Entertainment isn't measured in hours.

Aside of the "short" nature of Damrey, is the writing/setting/story interesting?

grim-tales

Just bought. :D
I know this is intentional (?) but I can't figure out WTF is going on.

You can switch lights on and off, theres a picture of a woman. when you switch the lights off it says "Lucy my love", now I have a command saying "Please reboot ADAM (where have I heard that before? ;) ) - but what do I type in?

duckroll

So much for "taking it slow". I just beat it. Gameplay-wise I think the game isn't very satisfying at all. The puzzles aren't that interesting, the solutions are too simplistic. There's really no possibility of getting anything wrong. Pretty much the only thing the game had going for it in the end was the "experience". The story was neat I guess, but even that is really short.

I feel the game is something which would be more worthwhile if it's part of a collection, but isn't really that substantial on its own. 8 bucks isn't really value for money for the experience at all, especially when the same amount of money can get you lots of other stuff on the eShop or any other store with much more value and gameplay. This is a 2 hour one-off experience which has zero replay value, really basic gameplay, and an interesting use of audio-visuals to project a simplistic "alone on an abandoned spaceship" experience.

also

Banned
again to those that beaten the game fully (including secrets).

so i now finished everything and gotten alex profile, alyssa file & linked content. However I still have some questions regarding the ending, specificly about Alex. The ending is the same as all other endings except for a small remark at you leaving the ring at Alex her desk.

However the files don't mention what Alex has been up to and also when you inspect her pod she is in there. Nicolas sets out to fight the alien and sets the ship to self-destruct. was Nicolas to stupid to check if everyone was dead? Also she was not mentioned in the linked file so did she even know what was going on on the ship?

on another note:
Since you lost your memory I think the alien became a human in his mind after the game and I do think I'd (as the alien) let Nicolas & Alex live. At least thats what I project on the open ending. How did you guys interpreted it?

Her profile states she's an astrobiologist, so she must have been studying something.
If Nicolas was woken up prematurely, there's a good chance Alex was too, thus learning what's going on.

I think you just end up killing everyone. I mean, you were abducted from your home planet so that you could be studied (and probably have experiments performed on).
I'm more interested in what happened to the third alien. They mention they captured 3 aliens but you only see 2 in the game; yourself and the wounded alien that was being treated in the laboratory.

Did anyone else feel a malicious tone in SAM's voice when she denies Nicolas's request to cut you off from the system?

Celine

So much for "taking it slow". I just beat it. Gameplay-wise I think the game isn't very satisfying at all. The puzzles aren't that interesting, the solutions are too simplistic. There's really no possibility of getting anything wrong. Pretty much the only thing the game had going for it in the end was the "experience". The story was neat I guess, but even that is really short.

I feel the game is something which would be more worthwhile if it's part of a collection, but isn't really that substantial on its own. 8 bucks isn't really value for money for the experience at all, especially when the same amount of money can get you lots of other stuff on the eShop or any other store with much more value and gameplay. This is a 2 hour one-off experience which has zero replay value, really basic gameplay, and an interesting use of audio-visuals to project a simplistic "alone on an abandoned spaceship" experience.
Thank you, that's the kind of impression I wanted to read.

I will hold off until a price cut.

Xater

I would agree. This would have been fine for like 3 to 5 bucks.

duckroll

For a game with "no tutorial" it seems to be telling me what to do and spoon feeding me so far :s

Yeah I think that was the most disappointing part for me. If they actually made a hardcore adventure game where you have to really explore every corner of the ship for clues, piece stuff together, and use interesting interfaces to progress while solving meaningful puzzles, I would have enjoyed it so much more. Instead it's basically an interesting story wrapped around an easy and mediocre adventure game. Everything was so straightforward. :(

Thank you, that's the kind of impression I wanted to read.

I will hold off until a price cut.

Hopefully they'll have another sale for the games in the series when they release the next set. If they do release a next set that is... I really love the idea of the Guild games, but other than Crimson Shroud it seems most of the games are pretty lacking. >_<

Thanks to your impressions I will be saving my 7.99 to pay towards Oracle of Ages and Seasons in two weeks! I was interested in picking up this game, but I will wait for a Guild02 NA sale similar to the current Guild01 going on.

BowieZ

Banned
Even though the impressions are a bit disappointing, I kind of want to support the content in hopes for a fleshed out sequel or that the general idea gains popularity.

Top Bottom