• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs |OT| - This Little Piggy Cried AAHHH All the Way to Hell

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Guys posting your previews, if you have a custom preview image you use for your video be sure to post it so I can make a neater organization for the OT. Thanks!

Here ya go, sir. :)

amnesiaGAF2.jpg

EDIT: That's the most light in the game so far. Everything's so dark and kinda not that good for screens.

Gryph

I'm really, really excited about this one. All these Dear Esther contributors make me think this might be really special as far as Psychological Horror games go...

Maybe it's because I'm watching a video on Youtube, but the atmosphere seems a lot less...scary somehow, less oppressively dark compared to the first Amensia. It probably gets worse later on as well, though.

Goldmund

Maybe it's because I'm watching a video on Youtube, but the atmosphere seems a lot less...scary somehow, less oppressively dark compared to the first Amensia. It probably gets worse later on as well, though.
At the very end you encounter Diablo riding a unicorn.

Spoo

Purchased, and willing to go into it with an open mind, but Dear Esther was horrible, if beautiful; hopefully Frictional's involvement here was enough to take thechineseroom's ability to speak visually and blend it with, you know, a game.

Atomski

Not going to look, one of the best things about the original Amnesia was not being exactly sure what the fuck was going on with the monsters face. (because soon as you saw anything ur were running for your life) I hated it when people started posting screens of it close up and then that awful box art came out. Completely ruined the mystery.. glad I played the game before that.

Anyways hyped :)

Purchased, and willing to go into it with an open mind, but Dear Esther was horrible, if beautiful; hopefully Frictional's involvement here was enough to take thechineseroom's ability to speak visually and blend it with, you know, a game.
Booooooooo

I love Dear Esther. I've played through it 3 or 4 times now. Different strokes for different folks I guess. It's not so much a game in a traditional sense as it is an experience, if you didn't know that going in I guess I can see where the confusion could come from.

DrTeflon

Playing this for a review, my impressions from the first 30 minutes is: it's not that scary so far (use that video until the church as refrtrnce). Keep in mind that I was barely able to play the first one and get scared while playing silent Hill.

Spoo

Booooooooo

I love Dear Esther. I've played through it 3 or 4 times now. Different strokes for different folks I guess. It's not so much a game in a traditional sense as it is an experience, if you didn't know that going in I guess I can see where the confusion could come from.

I expected someone to Boo that :)

It's not even, so much, that Dear Esther betrayed my expectations; when I got it I knew very little about it (that was, as I was warned, an important part of enjoying it) -- so I took the risk, and got burned at the then asking price of $15 or so (I imagine it's less now, and perhaps well worth it at a lower price). It was, for me, a 70 minute preview for a much more interesting, full-bodied experience that never materialized. Beautiful, and hauntingly so, but completely devoid of even the most basic demands I have in "interactive experiences." I would have anyone turn to the excellent Gone Home as a game that suitably blends gameplay with storytelling as a kind of target for what I hoped for from Dear Esther.

But nevermind that. Water under the bridge. I'm an Amnesia fan, and it's reasonable that I'd be concerned that the guys I trusted most with it decided to hand it off to thechineseroom; they have the eye for horror, and I'm sure of it, but I am hoping -- nay, demanding -- that they added their touch without disturbing the foundations of the thing. So far, it seems that's exactly whats happened here. Amnesia did a lot right, but art direction was lacking. Thechineseroom can do that bit; they've proven it. Now, if they can make good here, all is forgiven and I will anxiously await being left behind from their Rapture.

That is, if they don't royally fuck this up somehow.

Rooster12

Looks too much like a Batman/X-Men villain to me though....from what I can make of it at least....it looks like a cross between a pig and man.

The first Amnesia had some monsters that were deformed to the max and really freaky....they just went for the "cool" factor here on this one.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Let's be honest though, splitface mcleatherbeans from The Dark Decent wasn't particularly scary once you saw him. He looked loopy and in need of a hug. The Justine creature was a bit better done. But also we're looking at this creature out of context. I feel like it'll do just fine once in the game.

EDIT: For the record, I haven't looked at the creature for AMFP yet. I don't want to see it until it's in-game.

Just recorded my second part to my walkthrough. Bricks were shat.... and according to my other review buddy, shits about to get very, very real he says.

The first 30 mins aren't scary indeed, but from a little video they showed a good while ago (which had some of the enemies in it) it was absolutely fucking terrifying.

I can't quite remember what it was but I think you could hear a monster come barreling down the hallway at full speed and the player was scrambling to get out of the way, and then had to venture back out there or something.

Looked way way way too scary.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was secretly hoping there won't be any enemies at all, that somehow they managed to sustain the tension without them, but I suppose they wanted to stay true to the Amnesia origins.
I think there's gotta be some sort of actual threat, or else its too easy to remind yourself there's nothing to actually be scared of.

Hofmann

I think there's gotta be some sort of actual threat, or else its too easy to remind yourself there's nothing to actually be scared of.

Imagination is always your biggest enemy. They could say nothing about them and actually not including them at all, toying with our expectations. I guess it would be too hard to keep it under wraps, though.

WHAT? We're THIS close to launch? This game almost dropped off my radar.
The first one was amazing!

Chinese Room have some big shoes to fill. Been on a media blackout since the first teaser. I don't intend to stick around in this thread with such a big robust OP. Amnesia was great because it was a surprise and I had no expectations, hoping for some positive reviews before jumping in.

Same here. See you guys on the other side.

The first 30 mins aren't scary indeed, but from a little video they showed a good while ago (which had some of the enemies in it) it was absolutely fucking terrifying.

I can't quite remember what it was but I think you could hear a monster come barreling down the hallway at full speed and the player was scrambling to get out of the way, and then had to venture back out there or something.

Looked way way way too scary.

probably the part starting from 1:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_9IyBzbyWQ

Hofmann

Hoping for better puzzles and more threatening enemies but since the devs have only made a walking simulator before this I'm prepared for disappointment.

Don't want to derail the thread, but what's wrong about walking? It could be really entertaining, even more if it takes place on a beautiful desolated island.

Protein

Banned
I don't want to read anymore spoilers about this game. Even anything describing the enemy. Going dark until the game loads!

FINALBOSS

Banned
100% In.

Got this pre-ordered.

Gonna boot up Outlast when the sun goes down and then give this a nice comparison to Amnesia.

Have you finished the game? If so, positive or negative impression overall?

I don't know how much I can say, I'm kind of new to reviewing so I'm going to put a few things into spoilers. I won't spoil anything about the story or anything like that, nor will i say my actual impressions. Sorry if I get some details about Dark Descent wrong, it's been close to three years since I've played it.

You don't have a sanity bar in this. This lets you focus more on the exploring aspect of the game.
I'm a little past halfway I think.
Game feels more atmospherically scary than DD, less psychologically scary - there's a lot of crazy loud room noises, darkness, etc.
I might be wrong but I think DD had a lantern that had limited uses. The lantern in this lasts forever, but there are moments where it will flicker or you will be forced to put it out.
You will go outside from time to time, but briefly. Usually to traverse from one place to another.
Stronger emphasis on story it seems compared to Dark Descent.
I'm thinking that I'll have this wrapped up at around 7 hours. No guarantees on that - could be shorter, could be longer.

The embargo is on Monday, I'll have my review on our podcast up then as well.

The first point is a major downside for me, the amount of effects it had on the actual gameplay experience as well as the visual ones featured added a lot of terror to the game. Honestly not even sure it'll be anywhere near as frighting without the hallucinations and chattering :/ Unless that remains but just as a general thing.

The first point is a major downside for me, the amount of effects it had on the actual gameplay experience as well as the visual ones featured added a lot of terror to the game. Honestly not even sure it'll be anywhere near as frighting without the hallucinations and chattering :/ Unless that remains but just as a general thing.

It's still terrifying. I promise. Just in a different way. Though I know what you mean. The visual effects of The Dark Descent really did a number on me mentally.

Another point I wanted to add that I just ran into:

I was confused as to where to go in a room that involved a monster that kept killing me. Couldn't find the exit. Eventually after like, three or four tries, the monster wasn't there. I'm not sure if that was a glitch or intentional.

Top Bottom