• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Lego Marvel Superheroes 60fps/1080p on PS4?

Nethaniah

No, scientific studies have shown the naked eye cannot see faster than 30 FPS, however, studies shown performance may beincreased beyond 30 FPS, but for a slow platformer like this, it won't matter. It's not like COD that requires fast twitch movements and 180 quick shots.

This does not make sense, just so you know.

Edit: it's sarcasm isn't it? Please say yes.

Hubble

This does not make sense, just so you know.

Edit: it's sarcasm isn't it? Please say yes.

Refer to my gamespot link. I'm not saying more than 30 FPS isn't better. Of course it is, and you will notice a difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, primarily for fast movement games like shooters but for something like LEGO Marvels, where your walking around slowly, your barely going to notice a difference if any.

Nethaniah

Refer to my gamespot link. I'm not saying more than 30 FPS isn't better. Of course it is, and you will notice a difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, primarily for fast movement games like shooters but for something like LEGO Marvels, where your walking around slowly, your barely going to notice a difference if any.

I notice a difference in every game i play wether it's slow or fast, what you're saying is factually wrong, just because you don't notice doesn't mean someone else's experience is the same.

Elvick

Banned
Surprisingly, the simple fact that not everything is made of LEGOs ruins it for me. It looks awful.
I generally agree, but there are some insanely pretty moments in this one despite that.

I would prefer an actual LEGO LEGO game though. Tearaway with everything being made of paper really made me want a LEGO game made of only LEGOs.

But they're lazy...

Sidenote; I don't get the really good reception this one got. It's just like every other LEGO game. Nothing special about it. Fun, but that's about it. Still suffers from all the same problems the other games do.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. 60 fps is both easily perceptible and a marked improvement in both motion integrity and response time. Every game is better with a higher framerate.

Wasp

The lack of 60fps is hard to notice during story levels when the camera is fixed from an almost isometric viewpoint and the gameplay is slower.

But when exploring the city hub the 30fps is very noticeable. The game in this section has a third person perspective with a fully controllable camera.

Anyway the game is great but I hope Travellers Tales put a bit more effort into the current-gen versions next time. This game has a shit ton of pop-up, low-res shadows and only 30fps. I'm sure the PS4 can do much better than this. The sooner Travellers Tales drop support for the last-gen consoles or at least lead on current-gen the better.

Krilekk

Banned
No, scientific studies have shown the naked eye cannot see faster than 30 FPS, however, studies shown performance may beincreased beyond 30 FPS, but for a slow platformer like this, it won't matter. It's not like COD that requires fast twitch movements and 180 quick shots.

You need to get your facts right. Studies have shown that your brain can't make out individual frames at more than 30 fps. It can however easily perceive a more fluid motion at rates of up to 80 fps. A player looking at 120 fps beats a player with the exact same skills but running 60 or 30 fps every single time.

ReaperXL7

well, in the upcoming LEGO: Movie: Game (duh!) everything is made out of Legos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv3jUNGmxG0

Yep, im really kind of surprised at how little information we have on this game though considering it comes out in feburary. I dont even think they have confirmed if this one will have an overworld like most of their games do now. It looks like it could be allot of fun though, and there are charatcters that are referred to as "Master Builders" so im assuming actually building stuff is going to be important to this one.

Hopefully we get some fresh previews soon.

Kinda wish we had a simple comparison between the PS4 and XB1 versions.

Want to buy it on XB1, but afraid it's going to be inferior.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Given Traveller's Tales technical ability, be thankful the PS4 version runs at a very nice and stable 30fps. You get 60fps in the PC versions of their games by sheer brute force.

That said I do think this looks better than any of their games to date in a lot of ways. It may not have the best shadows, but there are really nice effects for lego-particles with tons of bricks flying around and elaborate set pieces. Plus stuff is really well modeled.

I never minded the fact that their games are a combination of Lego objects and realistic ones. I always took it to suggest a child's imagination, playing with Lego toys in real places. It is like the opening scene in Toy Story 2 or 3 - where the toys are being played with in imagination space and the environments are real, even if they are still toys.

thelastword

Banned
It's 1080p at 30 fps with a great motion blur. It's surprisingly (imho of course) among the best looking games on the PS4 so far.
I recorded a few videos from the beginning of the game (recorded at 60 fps, but game runs at 30) a few weeks ago
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_ps4_gameplay_of_lego_marvel-14856_en.html
Huh, its fun to play, but it's certainly not amongst the best looking games on the PS4. These developers have always disappointed me with their graphics output. The game maybe 1080p but I don't like the blurriness in the backgrounds and the many low res textures present there. This game should have a much sharper look, higher res textures and for the love of god, give us some good aa on these kids games.

panda-zebra

Banned
If you're playing Lego games for graphics and fps you're doing it wrong. Pick up the pad, grab a loved one, insert 2nd pad into their hands, have fun, irrespective of hardware.

It looks lovely on ps4, wouldn't go back to the ps3 for this game even if it were free

Pjsprojects

I'm more curious on how the Wii U version runs. Does it perform and/or look better better than the 360/PS3 ones?

We have this on WiiU and PC.

WiiU version has been on today for six hours and looks runs great. I helped out with the Propad a few times in two player mode and everything stayed constant.

PC version was cheap as chips. Yes it looks a bit nicer but thats to be expected.

I can post the same screen of each if that helps.

Seanspeed

Banned

This conception that 60fps is only good for shooters/racers/whatever needs to go.

Dark Souls is not a fast game AT ALL, yet its night and day from 30fps to 60fps. As is pretty much any game that doesn't involve a static screen for much of the time(which is 99% of games).

Dunlop

Looks and runs great on the PS4, although playing though story mode with my son and the game bugged out a good half dozen times where we would have to reset

brobban

Try this link http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
Even at 50px/s its obvious which one is 60fps and which one is 30fps

Whoa this thread is still going?

Yeah, I'd also hoped that it would have been 60fps. That being said, it's a fucking SOLID 30fps, even when in split screen. Between that consistency and the PQ in general, the game still looks stunning quite often. Pretty sure it's Vsynced to boot!

I bought it when it was "cheap" on the PSN. I have no idea what the framerate is. It feels smooth. I don't know whether to be jealous of or feel pity for those so sensitive to framerates. It seems like a good skill to have, to give actual answers in threads like this, but if you won't play a lego game that is 30fps... yikes!

I don't like Lego games, typically, and I don't like super heroes/comic books/etc... but this game is pretty damn fun. It also looks pretty good for what I assume was a quick and dirty port. A lot of motion blur and other effects that are probably hiding some other uglier things.

Sushen

I like the game but they should do more debugging as the game is full of all kinds of bugs. To the least, they should release a patch because some of the bugs stops you from progressing unless you restart the chapter.

baphomet

I hope you dont actually believe that. Its factually wrong, and you look dumb as hell saying it.

vg260

I bought it when it was "cheap" on the PSN. I have no idea what the framerate is. It feels smooth. I don't know whether to be jealous of or feel pity for those so sensitive to framerates. It seems like a good skill to have, to give actual answers in threads like this, but if you won't play a lego game that is 30fps... yikes!

The difference between 60fps and 30 fps is easily noticeable to me, even on title screens and menus when there is only minimal animation. My vision is far from spectacular too. After playing some games at 60fps, I just can't go back to playing at 30. It's an eyesore to me. Or maybe because at 60fps everything just looks/feels so slick. It adds so much to the experience for me, that I'm starting to pass on games I'd otherwise play if 30 fps.

I picked this up on the PC, so I'm looking forward to playing it more(barely into it), being a comic fan even though I'm not a Lego game fan.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's incredible how little information and impressions there are out there about both the PS4 and Wii U versions.

I have it on Wii U. Looks great and multiscreen coop is good. Judging from the PS4 demo I'd say that version is running at a higher resolution. Didn't notice a difference in frame rate, but I'm no expert when it comes to that stuff.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I have no idea. I'm playing on a 720p set anyway, but the game looks fantastic. Framerate seems rock solid as well. I never experienced any slowdown during my playthroughs of the game.

I do feel bad for people that can't play a 30fps game, though. That's a bit extreme for me. Oh, I can notice the difference between 30 and 60, and I have a pretty monster PC that consistently gets me 120fps on just about all the games I own, at resolutions much higher than 1080p, but, I don't know. I just don't care. If it's not a slideshow, I don't care about framerate. for me 30 and above is great. I just feel bad that someone may miss out on some spectacular gaming experiences because of resolution and framerate. I wouldn't trade my experience with The Last of Us for example, for anything, but I certainly wouldn't scoff at a PS4 Special Edition in the future, just cuz (well, I want more games to play/stream/screengrab on my PS4, truthfully, and PS4 versions of awesome PS3 titles would help fill that gap).

The difference between 60fps and 30 fps is easily noticeable to me, even on title screens and menus when there is only minimal animation. My vision is far from spectacular too. After playing some games at 60fps, I just can't go back to playing at 30. It's an eyesore to me. Or maybe because at 60fps everything just looks/feels so slick. It adds so much to the experience for me, that I'm starting to pass on games I'd otherwise play if 30 fps.

I picked this up on the PC, so I'm looking forward to playing it more(barely into it), being a comic fan even though I'm not a Lego game fan.

There are certain game types, FPS and racers in particular, that I can feel it. Last gen CoD was obviously smoother than last gen BF3. GT5 was obviously smoother than, well, every other racing game.

That said, my favorite shooters on last gen consoles weren't CoD, they were 30fps games, and my favorite racing games were Motorstorm, all 30fps. GT5 is close though :)

But when it comes to something like lego... or knack... or games with a camera pulled back - I can't tell. It either feels smooth or not smooth. To me Lego Marvel feels smooth.

Pjsprojects

TT's Lego games tend to be really good looking though.

Yep,just for ref-

PC 1440p max settings down sampled to 1080p

i0JhRmtKh0DOR.png

WiiU 720p and looking good.

ibt9h1548z5y7f.jpg

Both play exactly the same.

Remember when everyone used to take the piss out of WiiU and say it wasn't 'next gen' because it didn't run current gen ports at 1080p/60fps... Yeah :-/.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Remember when everyone used to take the piss out of WiiU and say it wasn't 'next gen' because it didn't run current gen ports at 1080p/60fps... Yeah :-/.

Well, LEGO Marvel isn't exactly taking home any awards for fantastic graphics.

The Wii U is awesome, but when you start comparing some of the heavy hitter PS4 and Xbox ONE games like Killzone: Shadowfall and Ryse, it becomes a lot more apparent that there is a significant gap between the three.

With that said, I can't wait to get my Wii U, as I'm dying to get Mario 3D World and Wonderful 101, to name only two.

Here's a PS4 LEGO Marvel shot to add to the comparison. It's been uploaded to Facebook, sorry. I think they all look really good, and much better running on the console. I believe the PS4 takes 1080p shots even on a 720p TV, but I can't remember.

1512167_10201694699822562_1523400611_o.jpg

eXistor

I've played both the WiiU and PC versions. The WiiU version looks a lot muddier and has a very unstable framerate, I'm thinking 15-25 at best. PC is maxed and runs 60 frames no problem on my old-ish PC with a GTX570.

If you have a decent PC, absolutely go for that one, it runs circles around any other version, except maybe PS4, but I haven't seen that one.

Pjsprojects

I've played both the WiiU and PC versions. The WiiU version looks a lot muddier and has a very unstable framerate, I'm thinking 15-25 at best. PC is maxed and runs 60 frames no problem on my old-ish PC with a GTX570.

If you have a decent PC, absolutely go for that one, it runs circles around any other version, except maybe PS4, but I haven't seen that one.

Well i can't agree, our WiiU version was on for most of the day and i never saw frame rate drop. Does the shot above look muddy?

Lets not turn this in to a WiiU bashing thread again. All versions look good and play good (if ya like Lego games).

Eusis

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about. The very video you sourced said there's no discernable ceiling for FPS, and watching that video on GameSpot it should've been blindly obvious that there's a significant difference. Watch it again, and actually pay attention this time rather than making shit up.

EDIT: And playing Rayman Origins on 3DS contrasted with it on PS3 and NSMB2 on the same platform showed 60 FPS matters very much for platformers, especially as that's what many of them have been since the NES days. If it doesn't matter for this it's because it's kind of floaty, forgiving, casual friendly gameplay. Always bores me stiff, needs to be tighter and faster, but ah well.

And yes, Lego Marvel is definitely 30 FPS on PS4.

Well i can't agree, our WiiU version was on for most of the day and i never saw frame rate drop. Does the shot above look muddy?

Lets not turn this in to a WiiU bashing thread again. All versions look good and play good (if ya like Lego games).

Yes, 720p is going to look muddier than the 1080p PS4 version. It is not Wii U "bashing" to state the facts as they are.

Eusis

Jaggy due to lower res yes,maybe what I class as muddy is not what others class as muddy.
Seems to me when people use it like that they basically mean "it's blurry because it's not native resolution." If you played it on a genuinely 720p TV for Wii U and a 1080p TV for PS4 they'd probably be about as crisp, just that PS4's sharper due to more pixels on the screen and the system taking advantage of it.

I have no idea. I'm playing on a 720p set anyway, but the game looks fantastic. Framerate seems rock solid as well. I never experienced any slowdown during my playthroughs of the game.

I do feel bad for people that can't play a 30fps game, though. That's a bit extreme for me. Oh, I can notice the difference between 30 and 60, and I have a pretty monster PC that consistently gets me 120fps on just about all the games I own, at resolutions much higher than 1080p, but, I don't know. I just don't care. If it's not a slideshow, I don't care about framerate. for me 30 and above is great. I just feel bad that someone may miss out on some spectacular gaming experiences because of resolution and framerate. I wouldn't trade my experience with The Last of Us for example, for anything, but I certainly wouldn't scoff at a PS4 Special Edition in the future, just cuz (well, I want more games to play/stream/screengrab on my PS4, truthfully, and PS4 versions of awesome PS3 titles would help fill that gap).
I see these type of comments on Youtube all the time. Just sounds like lying to suit your argument to me. Why even spend all that money on such a powerful gaming pc if you're not doing movie editing or some ish then? Fishy

raviolico

I wonder how long that's been in development. Looks like the type of game that would look great in 3D.

I bet the engine isn't multi threaded enough to get 60fps on console CPUs. The graphics in Lego Marvel are just upressed from last gen.

I`m really curious if TT sets a new path for upcoming LEGO titles with this full Lego approach. But maybe they are "just" taking the benefits from the upper LEGO Movie framework?
Full Lego means also A LOT more brick destruction aka more stress for the engine and more possibilities for interaction/gameplay.

The recently announced Hobbit on the other hand seems to be in rather traditional fashion.

I`m also guessing that we will get more of Emmet & Co. in (full)LEGO game form if the movie turns out to be a decent success.

Eusis

I see these type of comments on Youtube all the time. Just sounds like lying to suit your argument to me. Why even spend all that money on such a powerful gaming pc if you're not doing movie editing or some ish then? Fishy
Yeah, I'd think the more sensible stance for someone with that setup is to PREFER 60+, but accept 30 FPS if they have to. Which is generally how I feel, for most games it really would be nice to be 60 and it's kind of frustrating when there's series that were 60 but go to 30 (like Ratchet & Clank, but it seems like Insomniac's sort of losing their minds lately), but so long as it's stable and it's not locked on PC for poor reasons then I'll deal.

Still, some people really do have more money than sense, so I guess if you're in that position you'd go all out on a PC because you can. But then I'd wonder why you'd be playing on a 720p TV, why not spend a fraction of the money on even a cheap 1080p TV if you'd go all out with a PC? I guess that can still tie into "more money than sense" but it does make it even more suspicious.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Well, because there are a lot of games on the PC that aren't on consoles? Pretty simple really. At the time that I built my PC, games like The Witcher 2 weren't available on consoles (and my 360 was RROD'd anyway). I then bought a few other games like Dishonored, Torchlight, etc, etc, because of things like awesome Steam sales. I mostly built my gaming PC because of games like Skyrim and what have you being shit on consoles (I've had two Bethesda games brick two of my PS3s), and my wife loves to play Skyrim and Fallout, and mod the fuck out of them.

The better hardware is nice, but I like to own as many gaming platforms as I can, from Nintendo, to MS, to Sony, to PC. I don't miss out on anything. Sure, I don't need a monster PC to play Starbound, but there are other things hitting the PC that aren't coming to consoles, and I like to make sure I'll be able to run those things with no problems.

There's nothing fishy about it. If I can afford to build a monster gaming PC, why wouldn't I? I love pretty graphics, I just don't obsess over it like some.

EDIT: That's the thing, I don't have a preference for 30 or 60. I want the game to run smooth. 30 is smooth. 60 is smoother. I'm happy with either. I can't put it much clearer than that. *shrugs*

I have a 40" 720p set that I've had for a few years, and a 24" 1080p set that my wife uses for her PS3. I just haven't gotten around to replacing the 720 yet. I don't have an overabundance of money, but I do put away money for high end electronics if I can. I built my PC over the course of 3 months last year, spending money here and there on parts. I didn't just drop it all in one go. I just bought a PS4 and other things, so a new TV is low on the priority list. 720p is doing me just fine for now, but I'll probably upgrade sometime next year.

0/10. I'm sure you're a troll.

the naked eye can see things with an unlimited frame rate, the more information the better... and believe me 30 FPS is awful.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
0/10. I'm sure you're a troll.

the naked eye can see things with an unlimited frame rate, the more information the better... and believe me 30 FPS is awful.

What's awful is the hyperbole in this thread.

30FPS is far from awful. I think of things like 15-20FPS as being awful and frustrating to deal with.

Games like Timesplitters on the PS2 were 30fps and were very smooth. 60fps is great, don't get me wrong, but it's a bit extreme to suddenly view 30 as "awful." It's not even bad. It's good. All genres benefit from 60fps, with some genres really getting a nice improvement like fighters and shooters. But stating that 30 is awful as if it is fact is a bit much. It's awful for you, I can understand that, and accept it, because it's how you feel about it.

It's not awful for me. 30, 60, 120, it's all good for me, personally. I just don't want a slideshow. The other stuff, like jaggies and what not, I couldn't care less about. I do love the PC screenshot thread, and seeing what people are doing with their rigs, and I've only posted a few screens there myself, but I don't find it vital that every game ever is 60+ or I'm going to pass on it. I like that my PC is futureproofed for a few more years, so if some cool, PC only stuff comes out that happens to require some horsepower, I'm covered. My PC was a long term investment in that regard, and I wanted to make sure that I got the best I could afford that would last me some years. My buddy is a lot more hardcore PC than I am, so I basically copied his setup for the most part, although he's since gone all out and upgraded his further.

I was an off and on PC gamer for quite a while, because I felt like I couldn't keep up with it, and couldn't run anything even remotely well. I couldn't afford to keep up. This time, though, I finally built a gaming PC, and not just another, "Well, I can play three year old games pretty ok now!" PC like the many I've had in the past. I'm not going to feel bad for splurging on a PC this time. I can actually be a part of PC gaming threads now!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What's awful is the hyperbole in this thread.

30FPS is far from awful. I think of things like 15-20FPS as being awful and frustrating to deal with.

Games like Timesplitters on the PS2 were 30fps and were very smooth. 60fps is great, don't get me wrong, but it's a bit extreme to suddenly view 30 as "awful." It's not even bad. It's good. All genres benefit from 60fps, with some genres really getting a nice improvement like fighters and shooters. But stating that 30 is awful as if it is fact is a bit much. It's awful for you, I can understand that, and accept it, because it's how you feel about it.

It's not awful for me. 30, 60, 120, it's all good for me, personally. I just don't want a slideshow. The other stuff, like jaggies and what not, I couldn't care less about. I do love the PC screenshot thread, and seeing what people are doing with their rigs, and I've only posted a few screens there myself, but I don't find it vital that every game ever is 60+ or I'm going to pass on it. I like that my PC is futureproofed for a few more years, so if some cool, PC only stuff comes out that happens to require some horsepower, I'm covered. My PC was a long term investment in that regard, and I wanted to make sure that I got the best I could afford that would last me some years. My buddy is a lot more hardcore PC than I am, so I basically copied his setup for the most part, although he's since gone all out and upgraded his further.

I was an off and on PC gamer for quite a while, because I felt like I couldn't keep up with it, and couldn't run anything even remotely well. I couldn't afford to keep up. This time, though, I finally built a gaming PC, and not just another, "Well, I can play three year old games pretty ok now!" PC like the many I've had in the past. I'm not going to feel bad for splurging on a PC this time. I can actually be a part of PC gaming threads now!
Timesplitters ran at 60fps. It's possible that you're unable to discern between 30 and 60.

Top Bottom