• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: A Marvel 6v6 Overwatch-Style Shooter Is Coming

While the hero shooter may be on somewhat shaky ground in terms of new entries these days, what if the heroes were…really, really well known? That appears to be the idea behind a reportedly in-development Marvel game that will allegedly be a 6v6 Overwatch-style hero shooter, albeit in third-person, not first person.

I’ve seen a few different bits of sourcing on this now, the latest from TheStreamr, and yes, I am convinced the game is likely real. It’s from NetEase, which has a contract to develop Marvel games, but this is supposed to be on a larger, AAA scale than its past mobile entries, Marvel Super War and Marvel Duel. One report says it will be on PC, another says console and mobile as well.
Known Avengers/Suicide Squad leaker Miller also confirmed the existence of the game, which is supposed to be stylized in the vein of Valorant more than Overwatch designs. Miller says he likes the Storm design, seemingly confirming that character, and an additional Streamr article says Magneto is another character, and he will be voiced by James Arnold Taylor, Obi-Wan in the Clone Wars animated series. Reportedly Magneto will have “environmental destruction” powers.

The details remain a bit murky with a few conflicting reports, but the topline, a competitive Marvel hero shooter, is enough to go off of, though I imagine more than a few players will be skeptical of NetEase’s involvement here, as the company is widely known for microtransaction-heavy mobile games. And hero shooters from Overwatch to Valorant to Apex Legends are obviously laden with microtransactions at baseline. The Marvel game will have skins, at the very least, to be sure.
So, who is on the list? Here’s the rundown, which is obviously subject to change, and it’s not clear how many the game would launch with, and which ones would be added later. As you can see, we are spanning both the Avengers and the X-Men at the very least here.
  • Doctor Strange
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Iron Man
  • Luna Snow
  • Punisher
  • Rocket
  • Groot
  • Loki
  • Spider-Man
  • Hulk
  • Magik
  • Magneto
  • Mantis
  • Storm
  • Peni Parker
  • Black Panther
  • Star Lord
  • Namor
  • Thor
A few interesting inclusions in there would be Luna Snow, a Korean hero which first showed up in Marvel Future Fight, and has since appeared in the comics. And you may recognize Peni Parker from the Spider-Verse movie series, an Evangelion-inspired version of Spider-Man from an alternate universe. Other picks are a little surprising, Magik and Mantis seem a bit lower profile than the others, but it’s a good list. Valorant only launched with 12 agents and this is 19. Overwatch, however, had 21. So who knows, maybe it’s all of them.

It is pretty easy to be skeptical about this given how poorly most non-Spider-Man superhero games have performed as of late, and how burned out many players are on hero shooters, but we’ll see. There is supposed to be an announcement for the game coming this year, and we’ll learn more then. I’ve asked NetEase for comment and will update if I hear back.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
20b3ea0dd731635ca4142a5a519d8d3a.gif

Marvels apparent speed on signing off on this when it was pitched to them 10 years ago.

gothmog

Gold Member
Sounds amazing. Overwatch may have killed itself but there are plenty of people who want that style of game without all of the Blizzard drama.

StueyDuck

any bets on who the most prominent character will be on the box art?

I don't see miss marvel in the roster, that would've been my shoo-in

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I won't judge until I see gameplay, but that Gundam Evolution game certainly didn't last. Which was a shame cause I thought it did some things pretty good, it was just handled very poorly.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I liked overwatch 1 back then, but no other game of its kind has ever done the same. I'll have a look at it, but I'm not expecting anything for now.

Seems like a lot of the usual knee-jerk reaction to a gaas game. IMO it sounds like a hell of a lot of fun on paper at least. It's worth waiting to see what they present before just writing the whole thing off.

Top Bottom