• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member
1PtMl43.jpg

CdpPkRH.jpg

f7eocwkplz

Platforms:

PlayStation 5 (Oct 20, 2023)

Trailers:

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - Full Story Trailer | PS5
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - NEW PROMO TRAILER | PS5
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - Reveal Trailer | PS5

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

mnSoS4u.jpg

SPIDER-MAN 2 STANDARD EDITION

Pre-ordering the standard $69.99 version of Spider-Man 2 in either its digital or physical format nets you early access to a suit for Peter Parker and another for Miles Morales, along with a trio of alternate color schemes for each character. You’ll also get access to the web grabber gadget and three additional skill points to jumpstart your progress in the game’s skill tree.

You can currently reserve your copy at the PlayStation Store, Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, or GameStop.

A stock photo of the in-game pre-order bonuses included with Spider-Man 2

SPIDER-MAN 2 STANDARD EDITION

• $70​
Prices taken at time of publishing.

SPIDER-MAN 2 DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION

The Deluxe Edition of Spider-Man 2 is a digital-only affair, and it includes the same pre-order bonuses that come with the standard edition. In addition, you’ll get access to five unique suits for Miles and Peter, totaling 10 suits. You’ll get another two additional skill points (five total), and some extra photo mode items.

Sony shared that the 10 suits included with this edition were designed by guest artists, including Kris Anka, Julia Blattman, Sweeney Boo, Anthony Francisco, Raf Grassetti, Jerad Marantz, Joel Mandish, Darren Quach, and Victoria Ying.

Pre-orders for the $79.99 Digital Deluxe Edition are currently available exclusively from the PlayStation Store.

A stock photo showing the in-game cosmetics and bonuses packaged with the Spider-Man 2 Digital Deluxe Edition

SPIDER-MAN 2 DELUXE EDITION

• $80

SPIDER-MAN 2 COLLECTOR’S EDITION

The massive $229.99 Collector’s Edition of Spider-Man 2 comes packaged with all the digital goods included with cheaper versions of the game, plus a 19-inch statue of Peter and Miles battling Venom (it’s tough to tell if they’re winning, or who’s under Venom’s suit in this game — we have thoughts). A Steelbook display case is included in the Collector’s Edition. In terms of the game itself, it comes in the form of a digital download code, not a disc.

A stock photo showing the in-game cosmetics and bonuses packaged with the Spider-Man 2 Digital Collector’s Edition

SPIDER-MAN 2 COLLECTOR’S EDITION

• $230

SPIDER-MAN 2 PLAYSTATION 5 Controller and Plates

For those that already own a PS5 will be able to purchase the custom PS5 covers for the PS5 console with disc drive and the PS5 Digital Edition. The limited edition PS5 DualSense controller will also be available separately.

SPIDER-MAN 2 DUALSENSE CONTROLLER​

SPIDER-MAN 2 CONSOlE PLATE​

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Limited Edition PlayStation 5 Bundle​

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Limited Edition Bundle comes with the console designed in the signature Venom style as a symbiote consumes the box, and it costs $559.99 / £569.99. The pre-orders for the limited edition console went live on July 1, 2023 and it was officially released on September 1, 2023.

The Limited Edition PS5 bundle will include:
  • A PlayStation 5 console with Spider-Man 2 design
  • A DualSense controller with a similar Spider-Man 2 design
  • A digital code for the Spider-Man 2 PlayStation 5 game
Image of the new limited edition spiderman console

xEQ6Tpz.jpg

Captura-de-tela-2023-10-16-110309.png

Captura-de-tela-2023-10-16-110358.png

uZcLB8Z.jpg

Attack of the Fanboy - Noah Nelson - 4.5 / 5
Despite the combat being marginally better, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is peak Spider-Man thanks to better UI, better villains, a better story, a bigger world, Web Wings, and two Spider-Men.

But Why Tho? - George Yang - 9 / 10
Despite some pacing issues, it has an emotional story and teases some exciting developments for future games. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is definitely one of the best games of 2023 and certainly a top-tier console exclusive for PS5.

Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 9.5 / 10
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is an incredibly strong follow-up that really sets the standard when it comes to superhero games. Its story is heartfelt and delivered by a genuinely likable cast of characters, and when it comes to traversal and combat, you won't find a slicker experience out there. There's still simply no better feeling than web-swinging through New York City. With an open world full of fun distractions and a level of polish by Insomniac Games that is unrivalled, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 really will make your senses tingle in the best way possible.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Essential
A fantastic follow-up that directly addresses fan requests and feedback while also introducing intriguing elements to the Insomniac's Spider-Verse mythology.

Enternity.gr - Panagiotis Petropoulos - Greek - 9 / 10
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is the best game created by Insomniac Games to date.

Gamepressure - Giancarlo Saldana - 9 / 10
It may not reinvent the superhero video game format, but Spider-Man 2 refines what came before and gives us an adventure that carefully balances gameplay and storytelling while keeping us entertained even after the credits roll.

Gaming Age - Dustin Chadwell - A or higher
I absolutely loved Spider-Man 2, and I’m happy to see that Insomniac continues to knock it out of the park with this series.

Gaming Nexus - Eric Hauter - 10 / 10
A stunning achievement both technically and narratively, Spider-Man 2 makes every moment of gameplay feel epic while still delivering a great story with a ton of heart. The creators at Insomniac know and love these characters, and that care manifests both in the quieter moments and in the jaw-dropping cinematic action scenes. Thrilling, gut-wrenching, and visually spectacular, this is among the best representations of Spider-Man in any media. An absolute no-brainer for every PlayStation 5 owner, Spider-Man 2 shows what your system is truly capable of.

GamingTrend - David Burdette - 95 / 100
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is a straight-out-of-the-comicbooks masterpiece, and one of the best superhero games ever made. The narrative swings to heights writers dream of, and every aspect of the gameplay has been gone over and improved off of it's already stellar design. Insomniac Games has proven lightning strikes several times, and Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is every adjective it's namesake's comicbooks carry, whether Superior, Ultimate, Spectacular, Sensational, or Amazing.

Geeks & Com - Anthony Gravel - French - 9.5 / 10
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 built on the strenghts of the first games to enhance the experience of players in almost every aspect. The scenario is more polished thanks to great actors and epic moments. The gameplay maintains its fluidity while adding many moves to make combats feel even better. New York is twice as big, but it's never been as easy, fun and quick to travel. Insomniac delivered another banger that will make you feel like the most amazing of superheroes.

Kakuchopurei - Alleef Ashaari - 100 / 100
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is as close to perfect as a Spider-Man game can be. It has emotion and heart; as well as inspiring me to be a better person just like the best superhero stories do. The gameplay in this game is undeniably the best of any Spider-Man game ever made to date. This marks a new gold standard for superhero and comic book games in this current generation, just like Activision's Spider-Man 2 did in 2004 and Rocksteady's Batman Arkham Asylum did in 2009.

Nerdburglars - Dan Hastings - 9.5 / 10
Spiderman 2 for the PlayStation 5 emerges as a spectacular leap in the superhero gaming genre, intertwining the fates of Miles Morales and Peter Parker in a narratively rich and visually stunning rendition of New York City. While it majestically flaunts the capabilities of next-gen gaming with its seamless, detailed, and immersive environment, it slightly entangles itself in a web of excessive player guidance, notably in puzzle-solving and navigation, somewhat stifling the satisfaction derived from natural discovery and challenge. Despite this, with its robust storyline, impeccable world-building, and tactically diverse combat system, Spiderman 2 gracefully swings into the gaming spotlight, providing an engrossing and largely triumphant experience for ardent fans and casual gamers alike.

New Game Network - Alex Varankou - 82 / 100
With familiar but still great gameplay that has a few new moves, strong presentation, and a mostly engaging story which gets better in the second half, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is a crowd-pleasing blockbuster sequel that's worth playing for any superhero fan.

Next Gen Base - Ben Ward - 9.5 / 10
Spider-Man 2 is exactly what was needed from this sequel. It’s taken everything from the previous two titles and pulled them in like a webbed up enemy, refined them where needed and outright improved on what were already two excellent games in their own right. The narrative is not quite as twisty or convoluted as the first one was, but what it offers is a brilliant tale for anyone with a penchant for Peter and Miles. Insomniac keep raising the bar with every game they put out, and the Spider-Men have just leapt over it with aplomb.

Nexus Hub - Lynley James - 9 / 10
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 successfully builds on the first game with a stacked story, engaging open world and great improvements in all the right places - an almost perfect superhero recipe.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 95 / 100
Quote not yet available

PlayStation Universe - John-Paul Jones - 10 / 10
Full of emotional highs that will make you get out of your chair and cheer at the screen in a way that few games have managed to achieve in recent memory, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 represents Insomniac Games operating at the apex of its considerable powers. Spectacular and amazing, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is a superior, spectacle stuffed action adventure that provides players with the ultimate superhero fantasy. Full of surprising heart and delicate moments that balance beautifully with the sort of blockbuster superhero bombast that its developer has refined to a fine art, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is a toweringly polished, unparalleled masterwork that redefines the superhero video game genre at large and is better than the previous two games in every way imaginable. This is exactly what you've been waiting for.

Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 10 / 10
Quote not yet available

Sirus Gaming - Lexuzze Tablante - 10 / 10
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is a culmination of superhero games in decades. Insomniac outdid themselves this time, and Spider-Man 2 is what every Spidey fan is looking for. It's such a spectacular game and an incredible sequel. Spider-Man 2 isn't just a technical feat; it's brimming with lovable characters and exhilarating combat, accompanied by a compelling and emotional story, and has a city full of activities that will get you sidetracked. Spider-Man 2 deserves a Game of the Year award.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Maiellano - Italian - 8.5 / 10
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is the exclusive that every gaming machine would love to have in its portfolio, as well as the perfect Christmas gift. An accessible, fun game with an undoubtedly appealing character that again succeeds in providing an experience suitable for all ages. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is the sequel that Insomniac needed to make, which, while having some flaws, manages to improve on many aspects of the previous games, offering an excellent more of the same that will delight anyone who enjoyed the previous chapters. As scripted, this is not a production that breaks with the past but rather continues a larger project that, without too much doubt, is still far from seeing its end.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 9.1 / 10
With oodles of variety, rewarding combat, and eye-popping cinematic visuals, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is undoubtedly a game worth buying a PlayStation 5 for. It's one of the best action games ever made.

VideoGamer - Amaar Chowdhury - 10 / 10
It's hard to find fault in a game that will no doubt have you hankering for a radioactive spider bite of your own. Reality being what it is, you’re better off playing Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 over and over again.

We Got This Covered - Shaan Joshi - 4.5 / 5
Spider-Man 2 is a tour de force, elevating an already great franchise into a fantastic one. Most, if not all, of the bumps and wrinkles have been ironed out, and what we're left with is one of the best superhero games ever made.

WellPlayed - Ash Wayling - 10 / 10
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is a masterful example of passionate game creation, blending a white-knuckle comic book adventure with the beautiful pathos of being human. It is sensational. It is spectacular. It is Spider-Man. (Two).

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9 / 10
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is a great sequel to a great game. It's bigger and more focused, and it captures everything that made the first game work. From start to finish, it is as fun to play as its predecessor, and if it has one "flaw," it is that you're getting exactly what you'd expect. I can't get enough of the game, so when I completed it, I instantly set out to finish all of the challenges. Kudos to the development team.
Console Creatures - Recommended
Be Greater Together" touches every part of Marvel's Spider-Man 2 game design and lends players an easygoing and natural experience.

Last edited:

Mowcno

I've thought it'd get 88 or 89 for a while but the very positive leaked review gives me some hope it could hit the 90+ mark.

Voting 85-90.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll guess 85-90, but hopefully even better! It looks phenomenal imo. In Insomniac we trust!
Independence Day Usa GIF by Broad City

NickFire

I hate myself for saying the skins in deluxe are a waste of money, but those two additional skill points sound pretty tempting.

killatopak

I’m hoping high 80’s at least. No real interest in a Spiderman game but with Venom, I am intrigued. Will probably determine if I buy it or not. Playable Venom will make this insta buy as the only Spiderman game I truly enjoyed was Ultimate Spiderman.

Last edited:

John Wick

Hopefully this should break the 90 barrier. 91-92 for me but you'll get a few clown sites that will deliberately mark down for reasons and clicks.

Yeah really hoping they break 90, it's hard to gauge really because it looks like a bigger better version of the first game. How the reviews will see that is a bit unknown but these guys deserve it and all the bonuses that will bring.

85-90, guessing 88-89, like Guerrilla Games' recent games.

Really hard for anyone, let alone Insomniac, to break the 90 MC barrier with a capeshit title that ain't Batman or Superman.

If someone's gonna do it, my money's on Insomniac though.

Seems like I'm just going along with the crowd, but 85-89 seems most likely to me. Game doesn't look revolutionary, and scores for the last few have been 85-88.

Draugoth

Gold Member
You have repeating values in distinct ranges. For example, if I think the game will score 90 even, I can choose 85-90 or 90-96 and be correct with either choice. The setup should look something like 70-79, 80-89, 90-99, etc.

Goodheads up, i will remember that next time

Last edited:

SABRE220

I'm going with 85-89 probably 88. It looks like a rather quickly developed expansion on the first but I would like to be pleasantly surprised and have it significantly surpass the first.

Top Bottom