• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC Trailer (X1/PS4)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I don't think the EA MMA game was done by the Fight Night team though, so hopefully their expertise in making the Fight Night series will help here for MMA.

It wasn't? I assumed it was the same team. Boxing and MMA are completely different beasts anyway. Their experience on Fight Night will help to an extent, but gameplay needs to take a completely different approach.

dreamfall

It was made by EA Tiburon, EA MMA was.

And wasn't Fight Night EA Canada?

Different teams I'd assume.

I really wonder how they'll work with the grappling game- will it be an analog rotation like the Undisputed games, or the stop/go approach they used in EA MMA? I hope it's updated and is responsive- however they tackle it.

Yaari

And wasn't Fight Night EA Canada?

Different teams I'd assume.

I really wonder how they'll work with the grappling game- will it be an analog rotation like the Undisputed games, or the stop/go approach they used in EA MMA? I hope it's updated and is responsive- however they tackle it.

Yeah, Canada for Fight Night.

As for the controls. A member on the EA UFC forum was in attendance to some event where Hayes was at, and he said they were currently using the Undisputed scheme, using the analog for grappling.

He could not guarantee it would not change, but I am not too worried about it. Alot of people hated EA MMA for its control scheme and I doubt they want to lose customers over something like that.

Loudninja

Hands-on
This agonizing level of visual detail is just one of the many ways that EA Canada aims to make players feel the fight in the team’s first official UFC licensed game, EA Sports UFC. It launches this spring, and it’s coming to PS4.
In terms of play, EA Sports UFC aims to streamline MMA fighting in a way that softens the learning curve and opens up new strategic potential without sacrificing depth. The face buttons on DualShock 4 control each limb of the fighter, much like the Tekken series. Square for left arm, Triangle for right arm, and so forth. This intuitive control scheme bestows players with more than 200 different striking animations, just by pressing a face button and a direction.

Blocking is assigned to R2; pairing R2 with a corresponding face button will cause the fighter to parry a punch or kick, opening up an opportunity for a painful retaliation. Location-based damage also brings new possibilities. Take too much punishment to the leg, for example, and your fighter will develop a limp and have a harder time navigating the octagon. A handy diagram at the top of the screen tracks limb and torso damage.

Grappling is a fundamental factor in almost any MMA match, and here it falls under the jurisdiction of R1 and the right analog stick. EA Sports UFC aims to simplify the ground game too, enabling fighters to swap positions quickly and seamlessly by rotating around their opponents’ bodies using the right stick. The submission minigame is a high-stakes affair, throwing both the defensive and offensive player into a competition of speed and reflexes.

When a player attempts a submission, the defending player works to escape by pushing the right stick in one of the four cardinal directions, while the attacking player tries to match his movements to stop that escape. Simultaneously, the attacking player must match his or her left stick with flashing prompts on screen to advance the submission.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/10/ea-sports-ufc-feeling-the-fight-on-ps4/?sf1776716=1

Screenshots as well.

Newboi

It seems like they are going with the Fight Night lighting model with overly dark lighting and muted color tones to allow for less detail and attention to be put into the arena and crowd. That definitely allowed for much more detail in the fighters themselves on last-gen, but for PS4 and Xbox 1; I think it actually keeps the game from looking as good as it can be with the allotted hardware power. It also doesn't look like there's sub-surface scattering on the skin (it might just be how the overall lighting model looks though).

This definitely looks good, but after seeing NBA2k14 running at 1080p and 60fps with more characters on screen, advanced lighting, and a highly visible and detailed crowd/arena; I definitely know the development team can do a lot better.

This still looks great though. I hope the gameplay turns out well.

Vizzeh

Banned
Game looks incredible. If they can achieve the same quality in motion, Its going to be worth buying. Im hoping for more 2k14 than NBA Live

Saty

'Spring'? In my book then the game should be out by the end of April. Nothing indicated so far they will launch inside 2 months from now.

It seems like they are going with the Fight Night lighting model with overly dark lighting and muted color tones to allow for less detail and attention to be put into the arena and crowd. That definitely allowed for much more detail in the fighters themselves on last-gen, but for PS4 and Xbox 1; I think it actually keeps the game from looking as good as it can be with the allotted hardware power. It also doesn't look like there's sub-surface scattering on the skin (it might just be how the overall lighting model looks though).

This definitely looks good, but after seeing NBA2k14 running at 1080p and 60fps with more characters on screen, advanced lighting, and a highly visible and detailed crowd/arena; I definitely know the development team can do a lot better.

This still looks great though. I hope the gameplay turns out well.

Despite its stats, 2K is riddled with slowdowns and framerate spikes. Its game hindering and absolutely unplayable via vita remote play.

Incredible visuals !

*prays this man is in it*

Nick-Diaz.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
just showing people standing around the octagon making menacing gestures is raising serious red flags for me on a game this far along in development

JimiNutz

Banned
Once again I'm severely disappointed that they aren't showing any actual gameplay.
This is supposed to come out in a few months and they can't even show 10 seconds of gameplay?

On the plus side, the control scheme sounds decent (glad striking is on the face buttons). The submission system sounds improved as well. Hopefully it's a fun game and hopefully the X1 version isn't significantly inferior...

There may not actually be any extreme facial closeups in the game but the skin texture resolution is underwhelming.

And longer hair looks shit.

Are we looking at the same pictures here? Lauzon in game looks indistinguishable to his real life counterpart. If that doesn't look "GOOD", I'd love to play the game you're making.

Loudninja

Aside from the way the character models move and look - and they are by far some of the best I've ever seen - it's the numerous small touches EA has worked in that shifts this out of the realm of what we expect, and into a world that's only possible on 'new' consoles. Lights reflect off fighters' eyes (much as they do in the real world), you can see individual bones moving in their feet, limbs contort as they smack against an opponent's flesh. It all comes together for an incredibly realistic-looking experience.

Aesthetics aside, the core game itself also adheres to this standard of realism. As with any game that tries to convert the art of MMA to a video game though, the sport's complicated nature must be addressed intelligently. There's an instant accessibility where two people are just duking it out, but there are numerous other facets that have to be taken into account: guards, clinches, submissions, the ground game. If it all doesn't seamlessly fit together, one of the sport's major selling points is ripped away.

Currently, EA is handling most of it well. With two fighters standing toe-to-toe, you get the kind of setup you'd expect. Punches and kicks with are assigned to the face buttons, with modifiers and the ability to enter a clinch or take your rival down being assigned to the triggers and/or the right analogue stick. There's still a learning curve here, and anyone wanting to explore the game's depths is going to have to put in some time. Thankfully the logic of the control setup is sound - changing guard when you have managed to ground someone, for example, is done by moving the stick as if you were actually in control of a fighter's body; it makes more sense the more time you spend with it.

It's enjoyable to play, too. If you do decide to just slug it out the bruises and blows are satisfying and, if you time it right, as devastating as they should be. Allow yourself to be taken in further and the potentially available tactics - and your satisfaction in making them work - opens up immensely. On the other hand, you'll need a working knowledge of the sport to get the most out of it, and whether the game can be structured to the point where 'anyone' can enjoy EA Sports UFC remains questionable. The longevity comes from understanding how the entire thing works. This isn't the same as a Fight Night where you can get a lot out of it just by hurling haymakers and hooks.
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/ea_sports_ufc/preview-3571.html

Shin-Ra

Are we looking at the same pictures here? Lauzon in game looks indistinguishable to his real life counterpart. If that doesn't look "GOOD", I'd love to play the game you're making.
I bet he doesn't look blurry in real life. Look at his eyebrows, nose, chin and ears especially.

I expected something close to this:

All nice and crisp.

I bet he doesn't look blurry in real life.

All nice and crisp.

Why? Because of NBA 2k14? There's a major difference between models in a game like NBA and a game like UFC where the face and body can get multiple bruises and cuts added to them.

Shin-Ra

Why? Because of NBA 2k14? There's a major difference between models in a game like NBA and a game like UFC where the face and body can get multiple bruises and cuts added to them.
I don't think NBA 2K14 is pushing the hardware that hard, and it's running at twice the framerate.

Glad that they have individual personalities. I hope their fighting styles are authentic as well. But we all know how EA likes to cut corners in terms of specific styles. Example, Muy Thai fighters all have the same moves and are cookie cutter copies of each other in terms of animations. It should be that every fighter fights different just like in real life. I hope they pull it off. I want to buy it.

I bet he doesn't look blurry in real life. Look at his eyebrows, nose, chin and ears especially.

All nice and crisp.

You're grasping at straws man. I see little different, albeit some facial moisture. This game looks amazing

Xater

I really hate what gets called gameplay these days....

That being sad, graphically it seems to be alright. The best effort yet from this engine. I also hope it will be a good game.

Blocking is assigned to R2; pairing R2 with a corresponding face button will cause the fighter to parry a punch or kick, opening up an opportunity for a painful retaliation. Location-based damage also brings new possibilities. Take too much punishment to the leg, for example, and your fighter will develop a limp and have a harder time navigating the octagon. A handy diagram at the top of the screen tracks limb and torso damage.

I really like the sound of that. Checking was a bit too automatic from what I remember in Undisputed 3. I just hope it is balance correctly, don't want to end up with something like Fight Night Round 2 parries.

Grappling is a fundamental factor in almost any MMA match, and here it falls under the jurisdiction of R1 and the right analog stick. EA Sports UFC aims to simplify the ground game too, enabling fighters to swap positions quickly and seamlessly by rotating around their opponents’ bodies using the right stick. The submission minigame is a high-stakes affair, throwing both the defensive and offensive player into a competition of speed and reflexes.

When a player attempts a submission, the defending player works to escape by pushing the right stick in one of the four cardinal directions, while the attacking player tries to match his movements to stop that escape. Simultaneously, the attacking player must match his or her left stick with flashing prompts on screen to advance the submission.

Damn I HATE on screen prompts for this type of stuff. I wish they would just translate aspects of the standing defense system into the ground game. Like R2 + Right kick positions you to block a transition to full mount from side control if your opponent is on the left side. Or R2 + right punch give you wrist control of your opponent trying to lock in a rear naked choke. But I guess that kind of system would require people to actually know a bit about jiujitsu to make obvious, but animation has most definitely progressed to the point where that is possible.

Fucking on screen prompts . . . . I would rather have button mashing to get out because powering out of submission can be just as effective sometimes.

Here are a few GIFs I made from the most recent video:

iyNm2qYZdoof8.GIF

ieqChI0mp698b.GIF

iAQhdRssj9Phj.GIF

iB8Xqwr7ownWH.GIF

ibtNU8RtjmU2zq.GIF

ir3kv5phdatpH.GIF

I think the game looks absolutely incredible. Now, if only it plays half as good as it looks...

Top Bottom