• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts ROX!

Unison

Himuro said:
6.8 told me that Tim spent his life savings to keep the game afloat while they were shopping for a producer. Is this true? Because he told me this before ps2 version came out and it's what sold me to buy the game day one: the fact that he had put his heart and so much time into this one game. I had to support him.

This is depressing to hear. I did my part by buying both the PC & Xbox version of Psychonauts, but we know the games didn't do great, and it breaks my heart to think of Schafer reduced to David Jaffe-like living conditions. :-(

puebla

i think with proper advertising this game could be big.

i don't recall ever seeing a commercial for it, or a magazine ad or anything.

and alot of sites say it's the most underrated game of 05.

after seeing these screens there NEEDS to be a sequel on next-gen systems.

Is there anything glaringly wrong with the PC version? I almost picked it up yesterday, but the days when I pick up a PC game without making sure it's actually playable are long gone.

pj

Banned
Himuro said:
I found the Vernon ytmnd:

http://vernonstory.ytmnd.com/

YES!

http://www.ytmnd.com/keyword/Psychonauts

haha @ the new merchandise @ doublefine.com

kochamara.jpg

lili.jpg

onesie.jpg

I saw a guy with a Double Fine shirt at school this past semester. <3

I don't think I'm secure enough with my masculinity to wear a shirt featuring a 10 year old girl..

Matlock

Banned
Ok, I'm going into the hyperbaric chamber or whatever with the button...I stand over where the button should go, hit triangle...

"Call me crazy, but I think the button should go there!"

No shit!

What should I do now? :X

pj

Banned
Matlock said:
Ok, I'm going into the hyperbaric chamber or whatever with the button...I stand over where the button should go, hit triangle...

"Call me crazy, but I think the button should go there!"

No shit!

What should I do now? :X

Go into your inventory and select the button. When it's in your hand you can use it to get in. But before you do, you should try using it on people. Especially that girl who thinks she's an astronaut

pj

Banned
Himuro said:
Press select and press left until you get to your items. Press x, Raz will be holding the button. Hit triangle while near the chair.

On the xbox version you can also access the inventory by pressing right or left on the dpad, it probably is the same on ps2

I have to go back and finish this game.
I think the only platformers i've beaten this gen are Super Mario Sunshine and Oddworld Strangers Wrath (I don't even know if this is considered a platformer).

Brilliant game, and now I will have to get some double fine merch :)

Also I noticed that in Destroy all Humans the conspiracy theorist aluminium hat guy is voiced by none other than RAZ!!!

Also people don't forget that it still is yet to get a euro release, glad I imported.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
If it wasn't for me you'd all be talkin' French right now.

One of my games of the generation for sure. Can't be enough love threads.

Belfast

poppin fresh said:
Brilliant game, and now I will have to get some double fine merch :)

Also I noticed that in Destroy all Humans the conspiracy theorist aluminium hat guy is voiced by none other than RAZ!!!

Also people don't forget that it still is yet to get a euro release, glad I imported.

RAZ = Invader Zim and Alpha from Power Rangers, too. ;) As well as about a billion other things, of course.

Belfast said:
RAZ = Invader Zim and Alpha from Power Rangers, too. ;) As well as about a billion other things, of course.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it is alll coming together now, but yeah it is RAZ'S voice hence my connecting them not just the same voice actor.

But yes ahhhhhh

hmmmmm makes sense now.

The advertising for this game was terrible. None of the ads, print or tv, captured the unique humor of the game. I can only assume Tim Shafer had nothing to do with them.

Matlock, you should have "Psychonauts ROX!" in your header with every single post, like Take Out Bandit used to do with Shantae. The difference here being that Psychonauts is a good game, of course.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Nice thread! I too loved the game, though I never finished it. I had finished the Black Velvet level this past summer and was about halfway done with the Napoleon one when I left home for 3 weeks.... For what ever reason, I haven't re-rented it since :(

How many levels did I have to go after that?

Speevy

Banned
Himuro said:
I rented Psychonauts for xbox and thus far I see no difference in graphics. At all.

Really? All that normal mapping and fancy lighting doesn't set the two versions apart?

Obviously it's the performance of the game and image quality. Every publication has commented on this to varying degrees.

Here's the PS2 version.

psychonauts-20050518025142576.jpg

Speevy

Banned
I was joking about the lighting. That's not the difference between the two versions.

It's the image quality, framerate, and other small things.

Wow, looking at that ps2 (?) shot, it can't be said enough that if you have a decent gamepad for it, the PC version is the way to go. Always was $29.99, best textures and framerate of them all, and no drawbacks at all.

But no, I don't think I will ever forget the Milkman Conspiracy, and probably not Lungfishopolis... or the Meat Circus... or pretty much most of the game. It was all around awesome and it really is sad to see an original, inventive, and all round kickass platformer (or game of any genre for that matter) do so poorly. It's too bad there probably won't be a sequel, which puts it in the same category as Beyond Good and Evil, the awesome-games-that-never-sold-well category.

Matlock

Banned
Himuro said:
Yeah really.

And the controls for the xbox versoin may be vastly inferior. I'll see about that later. Psychic abilities mapped to black and white buttons? Awful choice double fine.

Yeah, I was wondering that myself--with the Xbox controller, you're forced to use one as a dominant ability with the other two on the back burner.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
the sage with the painter where everything looks velvet probably will look much better over the PS2 version. but really, just play this game however you can.

Joe Molotov

I have a question, when you're in Sasha's mind and he tells you to destroy 1,000 censors to get your merit badge, can you really do it? None of the FAQ writers had the cajones to try it (or at least they didn't comment on it if they did). Well, I don't really blame them, I wasn't going to waste my time trying to do it either, but I just wondered if anyone else did.

pj

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
I have a question, when you're in Sasha's mind and he tells you to destroy 1,000 censors to get your merit badge, can you really do it? None of the FAQ writers had the cajones to try it (or at least they didn't comment on it if they did). Well, I don't really blame them, I wasn't going to waste my time trying to do it either, but I just wondered if anyone else did.

I doubt it. If there was a reward video or something, it would have been found by the people who comb through game files looking for hidden stuff

Top Bottom