• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 4.7 is out

I hate PS3 firmware updates. I stopped leaving my PS3 plugged in so it doesn't autoupdate, now I dread having to connect the thing to the internet. They just take sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooong.

Lace

I hate PS3 firmware updates. I stopped leaving my PS3 plugged in so it doesn't autoupdate, now I dread having to connect the thing to the internet. They just take sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooong.
Does it not just skip to the most recent update?

KyleCross

They're working extra hard to make CFW's harder to connect to PSN, I know you can't spoof and connect anymore. Sony fighting the good fight.

What's the point this late in the game? Hackers will just find another way to break through eventually, might as well just leave it. The PS3 doesn't need updates anymore.

Then again Sony just released a new PSP firmware for the first time in like 4 years for no real reason, so they'll probably keep finding some reason to release updates.

Agent X

Gold Member
Can anyone confirm that this update changed the PSN logo?

Yes, I've noticed that. "PlayStation Network" is also spelled out, instead of "PSN". They also changed the icon for "Online Storage", where you can copy PS3 saved data files to the cloud storage area.

Mandatory picture.
ibbsZ9rxaW5HBe.gif

Everytime I see this.. I feel bad for the automaton and hope it eventually will get to kill that vile fleshbag for kicking it.

Just because they aren't weak flesh filled with blood.. doesn't mean we can't treat them nicely. :(

Jonnax

What's the point this late in the game? Hackers will just find another way to break through eventually, might as well just leave it. The PS3 doesn't need updates anymore.

Then again Sony just released a new PSP firmware for the first time in like 4 years for no real reason, so they'll probably keep finding some reason to release updates.

Because people actually spend money on games and don't appreciate dickheads cheating and ruining an experience they paid money for.

thelastword

Banned
Had me fooled for a minute, I looked at this and said 4.7, that's some super major firmware update, PS4 is only at 2.04, then I read the title again and saw it was PS3.

I choose to play Rock Band 2 instead of 3 for once and this is what happens. I was hoping this would add Spotify and the PS4 would come shortly but Music Unlimited doesn't close until next month so I guess now.

Alx

I welcome the chicken and owl animations as a nice change from the same old stability gifs. ^_^

oldmario

i think sony removed the PSHome icon if you didn't have it installed, too bad they can't remove this singstar icon because that aint getting installed

wickfut

Banned
I wish they'd let you force stereoscopic 3D on in games instead of waiting for the flag from HDMI. I run my PS through a surround sound decoder and have to do wire jiggling when I want to play Stardust in 3D.

mitx

Weird,

According to the official site the changes are
Operation quality during use of some applications has been improved

But some sites are citing the following changes

Closed Captions are now supported for the Playback of Blu-Ray Disc titles and DVDs. To display closed captions, select [Settings] > [Video Settings] > [Closed Captions].

The style used for for closed captions, such as the font, size and color, can now be adjusted. Select [Settings] > [Video Settings] > [Closed Captions Settings].

The name and icon of [PSN™] were changed to [PlayStation™ Network].

JP

Is Music Unlimited still there?

EDIT:
I don't suppose anybody knows where I've put my PS3 for safekeeping? Don't bother saying under the bed as that's where I thought it was too.

On Demand

Banned
Is Music Unlimited still there?

EDIT:
I don't suppose anybody knows where I've put my PS3 for safekeeping? Don't bother saying under the bed as that's where I thought it was too.

Video and Music is still there. I think they get removed next month.

Stoffinator

We know there will be at least one more update soon for the PS3. Once Home is taken offline. I am sure they will remove the icon.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Did sony ever release plans to remove HDCP on their HDMI out so you can use capture card with the PS3 without having to do anything goofy like use a splitter or some other shit?

Did sony ever release plans to remove HDCP on their HDMI out so you can use capture card with the PS3 without having to do anything goofy like use a splitter or some other shit?

This is the only firmware update I would care about at this point (unless it would be possible for firmware to remove region-locking for PS1 and PS2 games on my backwards-compatible PS3). It's ultimately trivial for me to run additional HDMI cables through a splitter, but I'd rather not have to if given the opportunity.

Top Bottom