• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall finally gets performance mode on Xbox Series X/S

I would imagine that to be the case. Taking a wild guess here and I could be wrong….. but maybe the performance mode and some
But fixes are the start of that? What do you think?

Well the performance mode doesn't automatically make the game good. It had more issues than lacking that at launch. Honestly it is indeed possible to release a good game on consoles at 30FPS which is what they did with Starfield. Nobody is saying that rhe lack of a performance mode is making that game trash.

Gambit2483

wisers-slow-clap.gif
Good for them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I will try it again atleast. But if thenAI acts like it did the first time i played it...then no thank you mr mannering!

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Sounds like they addressed a lot of the major issues

Unsure if that will make it worth playing. Still need to remove the always online requirement unless they've already done that?
Good question. With the 60 fps patch here, they only have to put the game playable offline and give a few more characters and all of their promises will be kept. Then they will be able to either try to make the game better or move on.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Redfall’s Game Update 2 is here.​

This patch brings a Performance Mode to Xbox Series X|S, stealth takedowns, new controller settings, Accessibility improvements, and much more. Explore an even more dangerous Redfall with an increased open world enemy population and new encounters. Read on for the full list of fixes and additions included in the update.

PERFORMANCE & STABILITY
  • Enabled Performance Mode on Xbox Series X|S.
  • Improved PC performance and stability across a wide range of hardware configuration
  • Addressed several edge-case memory crashes.
  • Addressed graphical corruption issue with changing resolution with AMD GPUs.
  • Fixed an issue with resetting Game Settings to their default values while in Windowed display on a second monitor.
  • The anti-aliasing setting is now hidden in Video Settings while AMD FSR 2.1 upscaling is enabled.
  • Various performance improvements made to Hero abilities, weapons, and general game systems.
  • Various fixes to support Hero abilities triggering properly despite environmental factors like ladders, death mist, electrocution, and more.
  • Improvements to player navigation and collision across both Redfall Commons and Burial Point.
USER INTERFACE
  • Weapons with silencers, or silenced muzzle attachments, now reflect their "silent" state in tooltips.
    • Silenced weapons generate less noise, and are less likely to alert nearby enemies.
  • Vault and Mantle indicators now display in the HUD when a surface can be vaulted over, or mantled.
  • The Mission Briefing Table now better delineates between Main Missions and Optional Missions.
  • Functional improvements to compass markers and objective search areas to behave more consistently.
  • Historical Markers now display on the Map in their locked state once players complete the introductory missions in Redfall Commons and Burial Point.
  • Improved the readability of ammo purchasing.
  • Added an off-screen indicator when Bribón is downed.
  • Fixed an issue where objective search areas were blocking fast travel actions while using the Map.
  • The Text-to-Speech hotkey now displays at all times when active.
  • Player reporting now shows a loading indicator when submitting.
  • Clarified the achievement description for Rum Runner.
ACCESSIBILITY
  • Improvements to Screen Narration:
    • Narration updates when a Multiplayer Lobby state changes between Ready and Unready.
    • Support when the text entry field is open. Narration updates every seven seconds if the field remains open.
    • Narrates "Back" and "Friends" menu controls on all pages of the Settings menu.
    • Support within the Username input field for the "Add Crossplay Friends" sub-menu.
    • Fixed an issue where players would be prompted to "Press Enter" when focused on the Username input field in the "Add Bethesda.net Friends" sub-menu.
    • Support for navigation control in Hero Select and System Select menus.
    • Narrates game invites and friend request notifications.
    • When selecting a locked difficulty, the screen describes the difficulty type as “Locked”.
    • When selecting an unlocked difficulty, the screen narrator will narrate "Difficulty Selected".
    • Main Menu's System tooltip displays "System" only, and will narrate "System" in both Main and System menus.
    • Hover support for all buttons and links, both digital and analog inputs.
    • Narration support when pings are placed or removed from the world.
      • Fixed several issues with screen narration in Bethesda.Net modals:
      • Removed incorrect prompt to "Press Enter" to input email address, username, and/or password when logging in.
      • Bethesda.net account Help menu now supports proper narration.
      • Narration Support in the Bethesda.Net Updated Agreement.
  • Exiting a Multiplayer Lobby now properly reads "Close", instead of "Quit" or "Leave Lobby" when the Friends List is open.
  • Lobby labeling now visually and audibly differentiates between Singleplayer and Multiplayer.
    • Added a secondary sensory method in the Archive to indicate focus on the scroll bar.
  • Improved photosensitivity work in the following areas:
    • Firing the Clacker Unrivaled weapon in ADS near a red emergency light.
    • Flashing environment light bloom caused by weapon fire.
    • Vampire death and disintegration.
    • Remi’s Cluster Bomb C4 explosions detonating in rapid succession.
    • Summoning Layla's Lift with other players standing nearby.
GAMEPLAY
  • Numerous improvements to default Aim-Assist and Dead Zone tuning, and more options for players to customize these settings for both Controller and Keyboard/Mouse.
    • Arkane Recommendations:
      • For fast paced multiplayer FPS fans – Check out Medium, High, or Linear Input Response Presets as they tend to feel faster and more responsive overall.
      • For slower single player FPS fans – Check out Default, Low, or Medium Input Response Presets as the slower response curves tend to feel like you have a little more precision over your aim.
    • Increasing/decreasing your Controller Sensitivity from the Input Response Presets default value will directly increase/decrease your overall left/right turning speeds.
    • For players who turn up their Controller Sensitivity, consider trying out Default/Strong/Very Strong Aim Assist Strength and ADS Snap Strength if you would like that assistance.
    • For players who turn down their Controller Sensitivity, try Very Weak/Weak/Default Aim Assist Strength and ADS Snap Strength presets to prevent it from feeling like you are fighting for control over your aim.
    • Tinkering with the Input Response Preset setting is a great first step to help you find the controller settings that work best for you.
  • During the Settling In mission, Anna Creelman will now fill the player’s pistol, shotgun, and assault rifle ammunition.
  • Added new Vampire Nest spawns to Old Town and Sedgewick neighborhoods.
  • Added a tutorial blade and Archive entry for Psychic Residue.
  • Remi's C4 no longer remains in the world after exploding.
  • Various fixes for mission objective persistence.
  • Added mission dialogue for Fall Like Lightning.
COMBAT
  • Players can now sneak up and take down unaware Cultists & Bellwether enemies with staked weapons.
  • Increased open world enemy population and mission encounter balancing.
  • Added unique open world enemy encounters in Redfall Commons.
  • Added elements of light or reflective clothing to vampire and human NPCs to aid in visibility during the night.
  • Increased ammo pickups in areas surrounding the Fire Station to help new players maintain early-game resources.
  • Enemies now reposition to avoid friendly fire.
  • Bribón is now guaranteed to shock nearby enemies while using Siren with the Robot Rock skill activated.
  • Remi will now be alerted when--and where--Bribón is downed.
  • Fixed several scenarios where enemies could become stuck in an idle state and stop engaging with the player.
  • Sights and silencer barrels have been updated to improve reticle visibility.
  • Sights using a green emissive have been tuned so they aren’t as bright at night.
  • Scale and positioning of magazines has been improved to prevent clipping and other animation issues.
  • Improved Rook combat behavior in the Black Sun boss arena.
ENVIRONMENT
  • References to the Burial Point district have been added into the Map, and other locations in the Redfall Commons district.
  • Improved the lighting presentation in the Black Sun boss arena.
  • Improved visual fidelity for psychic space butterflies, fog pockets, the Black Sun’s glowing sigil, and various water effects.
MULTIPLAYER
  • Added visually distinct player indicators and markers for Multiplayer sessions, and unique co-op ping color for each player in the squad.
  • Improved player ping visibility.
  • The Light's Out achievement will now be awarded in multiplayer only if the Lost in the Fog mission is active.

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Kacho

Good question. With the 60 fps patch here, they only have to put the game playable offline and give a few more characters and all of their promises will be kept. Then they will be able to either try to make the game better or move on.
They have a reputation to maintain so I’d say making it decent is in their best interest.

MarkMe2525

Interested in what the end result will be after the update. Did they make it a good game? Is that in the patch notes?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
it actually says theyve patched a lot. They need to completely overhaul the shooting. If they do that, I will deffo give it a go.

NEbeast

Exactly what I said, few weeks ago a thread to complain about MS didn't release the performance mode, XX pages to shit on MS. Today a thread to say the patch is out, let's et another XX pages to shit on MS.

Why not just release the game now then?

Bridges

Good on them for sticking with their promises.

Doesn't do any good for me personally, I finished the game at launch and have no want to ever go back, but the improvements sound meaningful.

Past all the bugs though, the mission structure and story/presentation is just boring. No amount of polish or performance boost is going to fix that, unfortunately.

The fact that there is DLC on the way is crazy to me, not sure who out there would buy it past anyone who already paid for the collector's edition.

Hopefully this is all just a good lesson for them. Fix what you can, release the DLC that you're obligated to, and move on. And don't ever do something like this again.

I'd put money on seeing Brute Force 2 before we ever get a Redfall 2

Kikorin

Please Arkane, let us forget that this ever existed and works on something that anyone could actually enjoy, like every game you ever released outside of this unfortunate experiment.

If it's 60fps I'll give it a try..

They should have let people know it was actually coming. I thought this was completely dead.

I'm glad they at least did the right thing. Would've been scummy to never patch it, even if the game's a failure, there are still some hapless fans of it that paid $70 and they deserve to get the game that was promised.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
They have a reputation to maintain so I’d say making it decent is in their best interest.
It depends on who you are referring to. Xbox, Bethesda, or Arkane? For me Arkane needs to do something that they are more suited for, and Redfall is IMHO bad from a tech POV so they would probably prefer to have a better base than that. I can understand that they would like for their game to be great but at this point it would take years, and with no garanty of success.
Xbox already lost a lot of reputation by selling a game in this state. I can't see them getting that reputation back as they choose to sell a "bad" game and as a console manufacturer having Redfall being their first 70$/€ game and being one of their first new games after one weak year.
Bethesda is in a weird place for me. They are responsible but got to dump that mess to Xbox. Whatever happens now is out of their hands.

MadPanda

Banned
I'll give it a try when I get an xbox console again. Maybe they'll improve it further by then but I'm not sure.

Series S can't hold 60fps. This video starts at 60 (with no enemies around) but starts to decrease as he gets closer to a landmark (where enemies are) and then locks to 30

Also seems like enemy AI is still awful from that short video...

Thief1987

Exactly what I said, few weeks ago a thread to complain about MS didn't release the performance mode, XX pages to shit on MS. Today a thread to say the patch is out, let's et another XX pages to shit on MS.
Don't shit on faceless corporations, you are hurting them, you heartless pricks!

Top Bottom