• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Me too, if I'm honest it seems a little mean. Can this be the point we finally stop?

But, there is another...

star-wars-leadership-yoda-pass-on-what-you-have-learned.gif

PlayStation-4-PS4-02-555x328-555x328.jpg

It's pretty clear-cut: what Spears, Ito, Penello, Spencer, et al are all saying differs from your understanding because they know what they're talking about, and you don't. Instead of barking about how the seeming entirety of Microsoft and Sony are clueless or liars, maybe you should try to learn from what they have to say.

How many people from Microsoft and Sony have to say "the consoles need a dedicated HEVC decoder, an updated optical drive, etc." before you're willing to accept it?

That post is no different than anything in the dozen and a half other pages before this.
If they had said something like; The die space on the APU was too expensive to support the size a HEVC Xtensa codec for UHD would require without hardware acceleration....I'd believe it. Can't read three layers nope, can't support HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2 nope but it follows if you can't support UHD HEVC you don't need HDMI 2 but HDCP 2.2 is still needed.

Given Microsoft's labeling of the XB1 as HD and Sony's labeling the PS4 as UHD in the compliance reports are accurate then we still have the PS4 as a UHD capable Game Console. We now know if Penello is accurate that there is little to change on the drive and it should have been known in 2010 that it would needed upgraded optics equal to a BD-R drive.

I feel queezy even quoting Penello on this as it does not make sense. Microsoft bought off the shelf older drives rather than contract for drives that would be used on all XB1's going forward.....Microsoft 2013 XB1s can't read UHD version 2 disks with game media that do not require HDMI 2 or UHD HEVC?????? This is so stupid as to be unbelievable! Going froward there will never be a 100GB disk or there will be separate disks for 2013 XB1s and everything that follows. Stupid or Penello is making this part up.....

"What the people that make the thing say doesn't make sense because it is not the same as what I think how the thing works."

It's like saying Tim Cook doesn't make any sense by stating the iPad can not run MacOS apps.

Given Microsoft's labeling of the XB1 as HD and Sony's labeling the PS4 as UHD in the compliance reports are accurate
Backpedaling yet again?

The report is for the period from Jan 2015 to Dec 2015 and only HD media was tested. This is why the compliance report from Microsoft lists HD console because until firmware updated in 2016 it's only UHD Capable and only HD media mode is tested.

The Microsoft employee filling out the Microsoft Compliance report confused a HD media compliance report with the description of the console.

So before, you didn't believe that the launch Xbox One is an "HD console" -- and (incorrectly) corrected anyone who said otherwise -- but now you do?

then we still have the PS4 as a UHD capable Game Console.
This isn't the "UHD Capable" thread. The topic of discussion is Ultra HD Blu-ray. Ito said the PS4 suffers from the exact same limitations as the Xbox One (inadequate optical drive, lack of dedicated HEVC decoder). He -- the same as Panello, Spears, etc., etc., etc. -- says new hardware is required for Ultra HD Blu-ray support. All indications are that the launch PS4 is in the exact same boat as the launch XB1, and the solution is the exact same: new hardware.

Microsoft 2013 XB1s can't read UHD version 2 disks with game media that do not require HDMI 2 or UHD HEVC?????? This is so stupid as to be unbelievable! Going froward there will never be a 100GB disk or there will be separate disks for 2013 XB1s and everything that follows. Stupid or Penello is making this part up.....
If a game goes over in size, just download the difference. There is no shortage of games on store shelves we can point to right now where this is the case. Discs are in decline anyway.

cakely

Congratulations, Jeff. You've now been officially recognized as "people online" by Albert Penello.

Was it worth it?

Backpedaling yet again? beore, you didn't believe that the launch Xbox One is an "HD console", but now you do?
I still see flaws in everyone's statements you cite.

This isn't the "UHD Capable" thread. The topic of discussion is Ultra HD Blu-ray. Ito said the PS4 suffers from the exact same limitations as the Xbox One ( optical drive can't read three layers, lack of capable HEVC decoder). He -- the same as Panello, Spears, etc., etc., etc. -- says new hardware is required for Ultra HD Blu-ray support. The launch PS4 is in the exact same boat as the launch XB1, and the solution is the exact same: new hardware.

If a game goes over in size, just download the difference. There is no shortage of games on store shelves we can point to right now where this is the case.
But why though? In quantity the drive price would be the same as that not supporting three layers and this would have been known in 2010. It's also not supported by cites, on the contrary 3 layer version 2 disks are modern drives firmware updated.

Sony moving all ARM IP to Southbridge with it's own 256MB of memory may support HEVC cheaper than the XB1 could. Southbridge is smaller and would have a higher yield than the XB1 APU. It could also be produced with quicker turnaround than the XB1 APU allowing HEVC support. Then there is the 2015 PS4 with upgraded Southbridge which if the Launch PS4 does not support UHD blu-ray the 2015 version might.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Backpedaling yet again?

So before, you didn't believe that the launch Xbox One is an "HD console" -- and (incorrectly) corrected anyone who said otherwise -- but now you do?

This isn't the "UHD Capable" thread. The topic of discussion is Ultra HD Blu-ray. Ito said the PS4 suffers from the exact same limitations as the Xbox One (inadequate optical drive, lack of dedicated HEVC decoder). He -- the same as Panello, Spears, etc., etc., etc. -- says new hardware is required for Ultra HD Blu-ray support. All indications are that the launch PS4 is in the exact same boat as the launch XB1, and the solution is the exact same: new hardware.

If a game goes over in size, just download the difference. There is no shortage of games on store shelves we can point to right now where this is the case. Discs are in decline anyway.

If a game goes over in size and can't be completed without a download, something is seriously flawed with today's consoles, as you're copy won't be worth shit without servers.

If a game goes over in size and can't be completed without a download, something is seriously flawed with today's consoles, as you're copy won't be worth shit without servers.
I'm not sure how playable Halo: The Master Chief Collection was without the big update, but that's one example that springs to mind. I think it was something like 65 gigs in all? Another example is Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U. You didn't have to download anything, but if you wanted higher quality textures than what could fit on the disc, you could download 'em. The game was still playable without having to do that.

While I would prefer to not have to download anything either, we're already kinda there with day one updates and online multiplayer games that are killed after a couple of years.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm not sure how playable Halo: The Master Chief Collection was without the big update, but that's one example that springs to mind. I think it was something like 65 gigs in all? Another example is Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U. You didn't have to download anything, but if you wanted higher quality textures than what could fit on the disc, you could download 'em. The game was still playable without having to do that.

While I would prefer to not have to download anything either, we're already kinda there with day one updates and online multiplayer games that are killed after a couple of years.

The download was mainly the multiplayer part. The offline part was playable, but having a buggy experience has nothing to do with this. Anyway, a issue that can be solved with two discs. UHD isn't required, but should take over at some point. I can imagine UHD becoming the new standard for physical media after the Neo and Scorpio for games. We can't keep our strings attached to the launch consoles Bluray drives forever.

So now he pretends that he knew OGXbox wasn't going to be updated to support UHD Blu-ray, but still insists that the OGPS4 will be updated? C'mon man. Let it go.

Stevey

No.

That guy said it's not true, but there's still time to prove him wrong, just give Jeff a few more months, he's right on the brink of blowing this conspiracy wide open.

This is the dumbest thread still open on GAF

I'm really not trying to slam anyone or discredit any posters. It's just I was reading this back when it was first posted, and I knew it wasn't correct.

Whenever these changes happen (slim consoles, new features) people who bought the original console can feel left behind. I think most people understand however that technology progresses and so you adopt the latest stuff when you can.

It's worse if they think we are purposely holding some features or performance back from them, which we aren't. And I wasn't exactly going to say "I saw this guy on NeoGaf post and he was all wrong".

So to be perfectly clear, the BD drive in the existing Xbox One console is NOT upgradeable to read UHD discs. We are not withholding that ability from current owners to get people to upgrade. And even then, we don't have the right HDMI version or the correct security in place to output the image.

All of those standards were not complete when our component designs locked in the original console.

I'm really not trying to slam anyone or discredit any posters. It's just I was reading this back when it was first posted, and I knew it wasn't correct.

Whenever these changes happen (slim consoles, new features) people who bought the original console can feel left behind. I think most people understand however that technology progresses and so you adopt the latest stuff when you can.

It's worse if they think we are purposely holding some features or performance back from them, which we aren't. And I wasn't exactly going to say "I saw this guy on NeoGaf post and he was all wrong".

So to be perfectly clear, the BD drive in the existing Xbox One console is NOT upgradeable to read UHD discs. We are not withholding that ability from current owners to get people to upgrade. And even then, we don't have the right HDMI version or the correct security in place to output the image.

All of those standards were not complete when our component designs locked in the original console.

Just like there was no way you were giving up a 30% performance delta? You don't exactly have a reputation for telling the truth, Penello.

Yours,
BradleyLove
Europe

Top Bottom