• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption screens (the Good), R* Spouse (the Bad), & cover art (the UGLY)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
DennisK4 said:
Yeah, 5 million for a game like RDR to break even? That makes no sense. Aren't they also reusing the engine from GTA 4? What exactly is making this game so expensive to make?

There is some bullshit somewhere.

6 year development cycle, project mismanagement, and marketing costs... sounds about right. You're not supposed to delay a game that long, or this is what happens. Which is why the idea of another delay is not going to happen. At some point, you have to kick it out the door and eat the cost. Rockstar can't afford to keep dragging this out.

DennisK4 said:
Yeah, 5 million for a game like RDR to break even? That makes no sense. Aren't they also reusing the engine from GTA 4? What exactly is making this game so expensive to make?

There is some bullshit somewhere.

Actually it was GTA4 to use RDR's engine. Rage was developed for RDR. So that's probably where a huge chunk of the money has gone.

I am concerned for this game. It looks awesome, no one can deny that. But it doesn't look like it's keeping many of the elements that made Red Dead Revolver unique. I loved the original for its sense of humour and level structure - the sequel is basically the complete opposite, a serious and open-ended affair. I can't help but think that Rockstar took the opportunity to turn it into a GTA clone for more profit (although based on the news of financial difficulty, I have my doubts).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice screens, RDR is definitely one of my most hyped games of the year. A Wild West GTAIV? YES PLEASE, this game is right up my alley. The environments look nice, too, I can't wait to explore/hunt for vermin in them.

I guess I can see why people would rather it was a more linear, level based game but I'm all for the open world approach. I'm excited about the potential it could have, riding my horse through open fields, going to towns and searching for bandits and all that kind of stuff could be awesome. I want to be able to explore the

Oh and they're using the Euphoria engine, right? I loved that shit in GTAIV and it'll be even better in RDR, I can't wait to see bandits falling off of horses and trains Euphoria style.

nskinnear said:
hot new pics

nice, i cant wait to explore the fuck outta that prairie.

please Rockstar, don't let this project fail in any way... delay it more if needed! even my girlfriend is excited about this, and she has very high standards with games, rarely excited about anything... this game would do great for our relationship. save us! if this game turns out as great as it should, i will propose to her during the ending credits.

yea im being dramatic. my future depends on this game! Rockstar are you listening!?

Dennis

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I am concerned for this game. It looks awesome, no one can deny that. But it doesn't look like it's keeping many of the elements that made Red Dead Revolver unique. I loved the original for its sense of humour and level structure - the sequel is basically the complete opposite, a serious and open-ended affair. I can't help but think that Rockstar took the opportunity to turn it into a GTA clone for more profit (although based on the news of financial difficulty, I have my doubts).
God, I hope so!

New pics are awesome.

Wow. This is probably the game i'm most looking forward to in 2010. And there's some pretty stiff competition. If they can make sure some classic Morricone is included in the soundtrack it would be worth the £40 just to watch the sunset to 'Once Upon A Time In The West'. In fact i'm going to put some Morricone on right now...........

dwin45

Huggy said:
I really doubt the game will be looking that clean. They're probably shooting for the 5 mill.
If you've seen videos of the game then you would know that it does look that clean.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
nskinnear said:
http://www.playstationuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/4074.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.playstationuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/4073.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.playstationuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/4072.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.playstationuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/4071.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
looking good

Awesome shots. Has it been said how big the world is going to be? Something like this requires a massive amount of land, even if it's just long stretches of empty desert.

Huggy

Huggy said:
I have seen the recent developer walk through. Will watch again later.

Watched it again, 720P full screen. Neglecting the compression, the game has very apparent aliasing, and has shimmering shadows (though filtered unlike in GTA4).
The works you'd come to expect.

The biggest distraction is the low frame rate in places, though again we're no strangers to that.

But still day one.

Huggy said:
Watched it again, 720P full screen. Neglecting the compression, the game has very apparent aliasing, and has shimmering shadows (though filtered unlike in GTA4).
The works you'd come to expect.

The biggest distraction is the low frame rate in places, though again we're no strangers to that.

But still day one.

there's no way consoles could run Rockstar's ridiculously ambitious open-world games with decent anti-aliasing, amazing shadowing or a locked 30fps. i dont even understand why people expect such things.

for me it's: massive detailed environment > all else

eshwaaz

Drinking Hatorade said:
Can't wait for this game. Excited about more euphoria.

Playing the GTA IV expansions reminded me of how amazing Euphoria is, how much it adds to the game, and how disappointing it is that no other developers are bothering with it (or a similar tech).

Shaka

eshwaaz said:
Playing the GTA IV expansions reminded me of how amazing Euphoria is, how much it adds to the game, and how disappointing it is that no other developers are bothering with it (or a similar tech).
I'm thinking it might be because Euphoria is too expensive. That's the most probable reason I think.

Shaka said:
I'm thinking it might be because Euphoria is too expensive. That's the most probable reason I think.

It can't be that expensive to acquire though can it? It's from a relatively new studio trying to get their product out there. I'd imagine that it's harder to use in the right way which equates to a longer development time, which in turn makes it expensive in a different way. That's just a guess though.

But it seems that Rockstar's RAGE engine is totally integrated with Euphoria so I'll be happy if at least all of Rockstar's games use it.

NEXT DAY EDIT: OK so I guess Euphoria IS just too expensive

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/11/why-we-are-not-using-euphoria/

Goldrusher

ThirstyFly said:
Awesome shots. Has it been said how big the world is going to be? Something like this requires a massive amount of land, even if it's just long stretches of empty desert.
It will be the biggest world in any Rockstar game to date.

And not just desert, but basically a frontier area (New Mexico, Arizona), the real Mexico and something resembling Colorado.

"There's three linked bits of map. You start in what we're calling the Frontier area and these are all counties or states or regions…meant to be one of the last wild patches still being brought under the yolk of modern America. Telegraph poles are everywhere, people are starting to play around with big telephones in their offices, but on the other hand people have hardly ever seen any other form of modernization. The trains have been there for a while, but it's still pretty primitive, and still pretty lawless, and still has a Marshall rather than a police force…

Then you get sent to Mexico to a province that is on the point of civil war. You get to see some of the characters there including the local, somewhat overly zealous political leaders and there'll be rebellious leaders and some other people hiding out south of the border from life in America.

Then you eventually end up back in the Northeastern part of the map which is a contrast geographically with the other two which are different styles of more desert and scrub, and this is much more verdant with pine trees and hills and mountains in there and also a bigger town which is a lot more modern…so you end the map with a lot more of the modern world in your face."

Dennis

Banned
Goldrusher said:
It will be the biggest world in any Rockstar game to date.

And not just desert, but basically a frontier area (New Mexico, Arizona), the real Mexico and something resembling Colorado.
Hot damn!

I love open-world games with BIG enviroments to explore. The next GTA should be more like San Andreas and less like GTA IV.

RDR seems to have so much potential that I fear disappointment...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
astroturfing said:
there's no way consoles could run Rockstar's ridiculously ambitious open-world games with decent anti-aliasing, amazing shadowing or a locked 30fps. i dont even understand why people expect such things.

for me it's: massive detailed environment > all else

These days I'm seeing more and more games drawing very expansive worlds while keeping high quality graphics. Rockstar has never been at the pinnacle of graphics on consoles, so I'd rather point the finger at them rather than the consoles (PC versions look really nice though)

Naix

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
Is there any chance that they'll be using Morricone tracks for the soundtrack?

If not, Im gonna buy it on 360, and make a Morricone playlist for this game. Starting with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRF7nl3ciAk :D

But I'm confident the game will have a great soundtrack, It's Dan houser's dream game after all, and I'm sure he knows how music is important in a Wild West environment.

Denzar

Wiggum2007 said:
Is there any chance that they'll be using Morricone tracks for the soundtrack?
I believe I've read somewhere that the soundtrack will be VERY similar to Morricone's work, but he won't do the soundtrack.

He did for Red Dead Revolver IIRC.

Marbles

I just hope this runs better than Episodes from Liberty City. Been playing the disc version and it seems to run at 10/20 fps. Which is weird in itself as I don't recall having that problem when I played GTA 4 on release.

Denzar

Yeah, performance worries me too.

I hope the PS3 version runs in native 720p, 'cause GTA IV and Midnight CLub: LA didn't.

I was just on Facebook, and I saw an update from Rockstar.

If you pre-order from Gamestop, you can vote for an alternate outfit or something... here are your choices:

20977_320117510096_51752540096_5140069_1735401_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/notes/rocks...outfit-in-the-red-dead-referendu/309999618974

Full info:

You now have a say in what the GameStop pre-order bonus for Red Dead Redemption will be.
Visit www.gamestop.com/reddead to vote on which outfit will be the exclusive unlockable Gamestop pre-order bonus: The Savvy Merchant, The Deadly Assassin, or The Expert Hunter. Click here to learn more, including what each outfit’s special gameplay advantage benefit is – along with a screen of each in action. Eligible voters will also be entered into the Red Dead Redemption Referendum Sweepstakes – to win daily $100 GameStop gift cards and a grand prize trip to the Grand Canyon.

(No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Must be 18 or older and a legal resident. Ends 2/15/10. See Official Rules for eligibility requirements and other details.)

Stay tuned for details on other international pre-order exclusive bonuses to be revealed very soon.

Denzar

spidye said:
I want this game so bad. are there any in-game videos of the ps3 version?

Nope. And there probably won't be any up until release. Was the same case for every other Rockstar game this gen.

it's really a fucking travesty that we have to be worried about PS3 versions of games in 2010. i remember buying the original Skate in 2007 and it performed terribly on PS3, and back then everyone was like "oh dont worry, there wont be anymore bad ports, devs have figured out the PS3 now"...

it's fucking 2010 and im scared shitless this game which is one of my most anticipated ever will suck on PS3 :( especially considering how they've apparently had issues developing the game... there's no way the PS3 version has come through unharmed.

or am i just paranoid? i dont think i am. i expect a 5gb install, worse framerate, worse resolution, worse textures, and more game freezing. maybe even a completely botched launch like with GTAIV when many people couldnt get past the fucking intro on PS3.

ok now im getting too dramatic, lets just wait and see... ... ..... :´(

Darkman M

This game needs to come out on Pc day one, i will have it regardless but an optimized pc version would be glorious. Not gonna happen though.

Denzar

astroturfing said:
it's really a fucking travesty that we have to be worried about PS3 versions of games in 2010. i remember buying the original Skate in 2007 and it performed terribly on PS3, and back then everyone was like "oh dont worry, there wont be anymore bad ports, devs have figured out the PS3 now"...

it's fucking 2010 and im scared shitless this game which is one of my most anticipated ever will suck on PS3 :( especially considering how they've apparently had issues developing the game... there's no way the PS3 version has come through unharmed.

or am i just paranoid? i dont think i am. i expect a 5gb install, worse framerate, worse resolution, worse textures, and more game freezing. maybe even a completely botched launch like with GTAIV when many people couldnt get past the fucking intro on PS3.

ok now im getting too dramatic, lets just wait and see... ... ..... :´(

I'm very apprehensive too. I expect a big install, but I can live with that. Positives associated to that are less pop-in and faster loading. I also expect lower res textures, or a lower res game overall. GTA IV and MC: LA were both Rockstar games and both ran in sub HD (720p) resolution on PS3. On top of that, Rockstar San Diego will probably use the famed Quincunx AA technique, which blurs the game even more. They used it in MC:LA too.

Framerate will be in the same ballpark but will drop a lot in both versions (it's a Rockstar game after all), and there will be no tearing in both games.

Like you said, we are 2010 and a noticable inferior PS3 port would bum me out. There will always be differences, but other devs have been able to close the gap. I hope Rockstar SD has too. Naughty Dog shares their code with other devs, PS3 has been a prominent force on the market for almost 4 years, and other multiplatform devs have proven that, when you put some effort into it, you can make multiplat games seem virtually identical. Use those SPU's Rockstar!

bengraven

MakgSnake

Banned
Game looks awesome!

And I dont see any jaggies at all. The reason the above screen shot shows some sort of jaggies is because the actual image is very high res and its been shrunk for posting. Thats the only reason I see behind it.

Cant wait till April 29th is it!???

Irish

bengraven said:
I mean, you KNOW they're going to choose the middle one, the other two are ridiculous.

The one on the left is awesome looking, while the only good thing about the second one is the eyepatch. John's regular outfit looks a hell of a lot better than that get-up.

legbone

bengraven said:
If you preorder, you get to vote?

And did they not already create all three? Why not allow all three?

I mean, you KNOW they're going to choose the middle one, the other two are ridiculous.

actually i just voted and i haven't preordered yet. i voted for the middle option but actually i would be happy with any of them. i just think the deadeye recharging twice as fast withe the assassin would be more useful. the others have economy based bonuses. then again, i'm not sure what the economy in the game is going to be like.

Is there any video of someone playing an actual demo of this game (outside of the one on their site)? It's beautiful but I want to see someone actually playing it. I have it reserved but I just want to see how the game plays.

Top Bottom