• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'm sorry. I can't read Canadian.

Sorry. :/ That is placeholder text, of course. I've been procrastinating writing the instructions and rules.

Looks pretty good to me. Seems like you have all the potential scenarios covered. "Launch Date" is still misspelled (unless it's intentional). :p

EDIT: Maybe add in something about Blizzard or Diablo 3 since that's the new rumor floating around.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I think I will add in Diablo 3. (misspelling is now fixed for the next draft).

StevieP

Banned
Gahiggidy is good people.
gahiggidy.jpg

Geoff said on SpikeTV that Mario Wii U would be a launch title.

:D If true, this is awesome news and it'll be the first launch with a new Mario game in 16 years (N64). Even if it's "just" a NSMB title, this is a big deal and it will be invaluable to boosting the momentum of launch sales.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've been saying that there will be cross content connectivity features between NSMB2 3DS and NSMB Wii U for ages.

GET WITH THE TIMES GUYS.

antonz

:D If true, this is awesome news and it'll be the first launch with a new Mario game in 16 years (N64). Even if it's "just" a NSMB title, this is a big deal and it will be invaluable to boosting the momentum of launch sales.

Problem is its a terrible title to have at launch because of potential momentum power.

Launch is the hardcore period where you dont need NSMB to sell the system. They should keep something like 2D mario for a few months after

HylianTom

Banned
The first launch Mario in 16 years AND the first Nintendo console with a major visual difference from its predecessor in 12 years. Younger Nintendo fans have missed out on these experiences since the turn of the millenium. This really is going to feel like an older-styled Launch Day. :)

I've been saying that there will be cross content connectivity features between NSMB2 3DS and NSMB Wii U for ages.

GET WITH THE TIMES GUYS.
But now I'm expecting them to be pretty much the same games with WiiU specific features just like NSMB2 will have 3DS specific features.

One prettier, but the cool thing about that art style? It's bland enough to make shiny shine easier to add.

Problem is its a terrible title to have at launch because of potential momentum power.

Launch is the hardcore period where you dont need NSMB to sell the system. They should keep something like 2D mario for a few months after

I'd love to see them integrate NSMBWiiU into the system itself where every Wii U came with it installed and there would only be a few Nintendo made worlds, but it would come with the ability to make your own levels that you can upload and share. Then Nintendo can release extra worlds as DLC or something along those lines.

Azure J

Mario Wii U? Even if I know/kinda feel confident in it being a NSMB like experience, I want to believe its the real big deal game a la Galaxy so fucking much... New Nintendo system launching with an even more stylized and "Pixar like" game would be all kinds of HNNNNNGGG.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
But now I'm expecting them to be pretty much the same games with WiiU specific features just like NSMB2 will have 3DS specific features.

One prettier, but the cool thing about that art style? It's bland enough to make shiny shine easier to add.

Yeah, we are on the same page here completely.

I said this a few threads ago, though it seems like all of a sudden everybody else did as well. :p

I'm pretty sure that I mentioned it first like in speculation thread 1. REAL TALK.

The revelation to me isn't that it's coming. That one is a huge duh, or that it would have connectivity stuff, that's another duh. It's that I think they're pretty much the same games. If Nintendo thinks launching in Aug will hinder the WiiU release both will likely launch in November.

We're through the looking glass here people.

Yes I've been imbibing EC!

I never said I'd stop.

Are you saying it will be the exact same game or that they'll be separate games that when linked will have shared/new content?
Pretty much the same games, but with console exclusive features. Nintendo's version of porting between consoles.

Elfteiroh

GET WITH THE TIMES GUYS.

Yeah, I was lurking when he said that. I can vouch for it! :X
Still, I wonder what it'll be? What connectivity there could be between two mario titles?
Unlocking level from the WiiU game in the 3DS one and vice versa?
Sharing power-ups? (it would need that the game let you stock as many items as in SMB3)
Someone have better ideas?

Skiesofwonder

Are you saying it will be the exact same game or that they'll be separate games that when linked will have shared/new content?

Exact same game with specific features enabled when played on the Wii-U/3DS. Game saves that transfer to and from each system.

Hieberrr

Realistically, how much will 3rd party devs support the Wii U?

I ask this because I am really considering buying it for first-party titles, but it would be nice to have legit support from 3rd party devs. I need my FIFA fix :(

Fantastical

Death Prophet
NSMB Wii U, Wii U experience game, some smaller game, 3rd party games at launch. Pikmin 3 2013.

Reggie to GAF: Deal with it.
Please no.

antonz

Realistically, how much will 3rd party devs support the Wii U?

I ask this because I am really considering buying it for first-party titles, but it would be nice to have legit support from 3rd party devs. I need my FIFA fix :(

In the first year the 3rd party support looks pretty nice. Owners of the Wii U will need to be buying those 3rd party games for the support to remain meaningful

HylianTom

Banned
NSMB Wii U, Wii U experience game, some smaller game, 3rd party games at launch. Pikmin 3 2013.

Reggie to GAF: Deal with it.
Please no.
Man oh man.. your post only serves to reinforce how much I want Pikmin on Launch Day. What a bummer that would be. I went from bubbly enthusiasm to bleh. :/

Skiesofwonder

Though I still expect ownership of both versions to be mandatory.*

I think it will be similar to what Sony has been doing with PSVita/PS3 games. Buy one, get the digital version on the other console free. Would also be a great way to ensure costumers connect their systems online.

antonz

well we will find out shortly if Konami is bringing Castlevania to the Wii U I suppose with the trailer or the conference

No, not in a "IT HAS TO HAPPEN" sense, but a Mario game at launch instantly guarantees extra sales, helps sway fence sitters and boosts adopt rates. And the reason we're getting a Mario game at launch for the first time in over a decade and a half is because Miyamoto himself hinted it was needed this time in an April interview when discussing the 3DS launch problems:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/technology/...-game-forever-bad?cat=technology&type=article

There's humility to Miyamoto's analysis of the 3DS's fortunes to date, even if, when I ask him what he might have done differently, his solution is to fall back on old ideas and past successes.

"If I could rewind the clock I would change the lineup for the 3DS launch so it had more Mario titles. (and then goes on to talk about also should have better communicating the features, ect.)

The first launch Mario in 16 years AND the first Nintendo console with a major visual difference from its predecessor in 12 years. Younger Nintendo fans have missed out on these experiences since the turn of the millenium. This really is going to feel like an older-styled Launch Day. :)

I totally agree, and if the Mario game is a pack in then that coupled with the Dpad and A,B,X,Y button layout of the controller would give the launch a nice SNES throwback feel to it (SMW = best pack in ever).

Elfteiroh

Gahiggidy's basement
Oh, ok. xD
I like it. Seems very... cozy. ;)
I dreamed of a place like this when I was young. :)

No, not in a "IT HAS TO HAPPEN" sense, but a Mario game at launch instantly guarantee sales, helps sway fence sitters and boosts adopt rates. And the reason we're getting a Mario game at launch for the first time in over a decade and a half is because Miyamoto himself hinted it was needed this time in an April interview when discussing the 3DS launch problems:

I totally agree, and if the Mario game is a pack in then that coupled with the Dpad and A,B,X,Y button layout of controller would give the launch a nice SNES throwback feel to it (SMW = best pack in ever).

A Pack-in would be so epic and nostalgic! Like the good old times. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom