• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caramello

DECK'ARD said:

Seriously? Let us all pray for a press-release from Nintendo before this thread ends up totally in fantasy land.

Someone post Star Wars chess.

I meant the form factor and screen on the rear, not that it could roll up or anything..

Also in terms of specs (RAM):

NES: 2KB

SNES: 128KB (NES x 64)

N64: 4MB (SNES x 32)

GCN: 43MB (N64 x ~11)

PS3/XBOX 360: 512MB (GCN x ~11) Though I expect Nintendo would have gone with 256MB or (GCN x ~6)

Next generation (Nintendo): 2GB (PS3/360 x ~4)

I'd expect the multiplier to be around 4 as the returns are diminishing over time and I'd expect Nintendo to apply it to the PS3/360 RAM and not what their console would have been (had they made a GCN2 for example) as they are probably targetting a higher price point than what they've ever targetted before.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stephen Colbert said:
It's pretty obvious what the controller actually is, and why it has a 6 inch screen and a camera.

It's basically going to be just like Face Raiders on the 3DS. The camera takes a picture of your environment, and the games have you interacting with objects flying at you in your own living room or a different environment, it doesn't matter.

The main part is that you look at the world through the controller and you can easily angle the controller in a different direction to see a different perspective. It would essentially be like a VR headset, but with the headset screen being held in your hands rather than being attached to your head with a helmet.

The VR theory is mostly a joke but I"m serious about this. I think that's what the 6" screen is for. For essentially a console version of Face Raiders.

Yes, the entire focus of their next home console will be to recreate the experience of their just released handheld.

Makes perfect sense, apart from the fact it makes no sense at all.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I was half expecting information to trickling in about the Wii’s successor once the 3DS’ release was over. I never expect this much this soon.

- 6" touchscreen, not HD, not multitouch
- D-Pad, L, R, two triggers, others
Do not want! This sounds more like what Sony tried with the PSP- PS3 and Nintendo with the GBA-GCN before that. While there were some interesting ideas behind it and making this a standard would only expand on it, it sounds cumbersome. Plus, I never want to touch a 2-handed controller again and a 2-handed motion controller is a bad idea (just ask Sony).

'Front-facing camera
Front facing me or front facing out?
A sensor roughly analagous to the Wii sensor bar is incorporated in the controller - i.e. some kind of IR beacons/transmitters. Purpose isn't clear.
This is saying "Different, but the same but we don't know why." The WiiRemote uses an IR camera inside the controller. A beacon built into a controller would be like the lollipop on PS3 Move. The only two ways this can work is if the new controller uses a camera and beacon at both ends (controller and sensor bar) or the new controller has a camera built-in that doesn’t use IR which could eliminate the need for a sensor bar entirely.
One other 'huge surprise' about the system
I’m still waiting for that mind-reading goo and hologram display.

Late 2012 is the release date
Understandable….
Sources have this morning confirmed reports that Nintendo has a successor to the Wii in the works, telling us that thirdparty studios including those of Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have had development units of the new hardware for months…. There will be first and third party "Wii 2" games at E3. No clue if they'll be playable.
…. But wait… What? Like I said, I expected news to start trickling in, but this is way more than that. This is basically a year and a half of Wii rumors rolled into a few days.
The Wii’s timeline was more or less this:
PreE3 05: vague discussion, baseless speculation and rumors
E3 2005: system, features, no controller, no games.
TGS 05: controller no games
GDC 06: launch window, 1000 dev kits out.
E3 2006: Full unveiling
Nov. 06: Launch

If the rumors about the dev kits and E3 are true, we're getting system, features, controller, games with dev kits, plus surprise all at once... that's a late-2011 release. Nintendo plays it too close to the chest to give that much information that far in advance. And what exactly does a dev team need a kit 2 years in advance for? This isn’t Star Trek’s Holo- deck (or is it), and computer architecture is standardized enough to which that much time is unnecessary... especially for "just a notch above 360".

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
DECK'ARD said:
Yes, the entire focus of their next home console will be to recreate the experience of their just released handheld.

Makes perfect sense, apart from the fact it makes no sense at all.

That's what is most bizarre about these rumours. Nintendo has always endeavoured to ensure that it's portable and home console offer a gameplay experience that is distinct, but this proposed Wii2 controller seems to overlap way too much with the 3DS. I think it will be a lot more low-tech than people are expecting, they don't want to provide something that will force people to choose between owning either a 3DS or a Wii2.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
robor said:
Yea....see, I'm just clutching at straws for sure. The more light being shed on these possibilities really helps to bring out how impossible and/or redundant they truly are.

I give up, Nintendo wins.

Yeah, the more you think about it the less sense any of it makes. If it wasn't for the sites involved, we'd all be going massive troll. But doesn't mean that's not what has happened here, could all trace back to just one person having a laugh for all we know. Or even deliberate mis-information ahead of an announcement.

Nintendo better put everyone out of their misery at the investor's meeting. I don't think GAF will be able to survive until E3 ...

The biggest fear that I have for this system is the system will be flooded with "current-gen" ports by third parties, and that the hardware wil be too weak to get down-ports from Xbox720/PS4. I hoping Nintendo is working with Epic, Crytek, and other middleware developers so they can atleast be supported in their next-gen engines.

Hopefully, down-ports from MS/Sony next-gen systems will be like PC games being the Wii2 will run at lower resolutions, lower detail, etc.

Graphics Horse said:
As did I, but never mind.

Super-crappy Paint Tool Sai sketch of the concept in action (although the controller would have to be scaled a bit larger than the CC Pro proper for the screen to be 6 inches diagonal.

2rynkzl.png

EDIT: Stupider "stylus" version:
244nsqw.png

Dystify

I haven't been following the topic that much, but is it still true (rumored) that Nintendo will tease their next-gen console this month? If true, then we'll know more within 12 days, eh.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ushojax said:
That's what is most bizarre about these rumours. Nintendo has always endeavoured to ensure that it's portable and home console offer a gameplay experience that is distinct, but this proposed Wii2 controller seems to overlap way too much with the 3DS. I think it will be a lot more low-tech than people are expecting, they don't want to provide something that will force people to choose between owning either a 3DS or a Wii2.

Yep, I've been saying this since the beginning. Nintendo's mission is to keep itself distinctive. There is nothing to be gained by blurring the line between console and handheld unless you are getting rid of those separate lines to turn them into one product. They aren't doing this.

Too many people seem to be just craving all possible experiences in one, rather than thinking from Nintendo's perspective which is to leverage the strengths of what a standalone handheld can do versus the more social and powerful experience a console can give.

The Wii's pointer added touch-functionality to a console in a clever outside-the-box thinking way. It worked beautifully. Along with all the other changes of the remote to make console gaming more accessible. To think they'd now go backwards and make you interact with your television through a dumbed down DS is bizarre.

Mario Kart Wii is the best selling non-bundled Wii game. I'm not convinced that's because of the uniqueness of the Wii remote. They built that userbase because they had something unique, and now Sony and Microsoft are muscling in on that market. Whatever controller they go for, you can't deny that's a concern for them.

Strive said:
I haven't been following the topic that much, but is it still true (rumored) that Nintendo will tease their next-gen console this month? If true, then we'll know more within 12 days, eh.

We should actually have info next Monday the 25th (IIRC), thanks to their annual(?) Investors Meeting.

Roelatie

Lupin the Wolf said:
Super-crappy Paint Tool Sai sketch of the concept in action (although the controller would have to be scaled a bit larger than the CC Pro proper for the screen to be 6 inches diagonal.

2rynkzl.png

244nsqw.png
The new console will launch with this controller/tablet. because of the camera you can chat with other friends and play chess etc etc. thats why the codename = cafe?
The touchscreen can also be used as a gyroscope. Every move will be translated to tv (VR?)
How about playing COD like FaceRaiders? is that possible? Wii 2 will ask playing om tv or on tablet so you will playing it like faceraiders?
Also think of the possibillities with te touchscreen. no need to pauze, just press the options on yur touchscreen. then again whats the difference: pressing a button or pressing the touchsscreen?

Lets hope Wii2 will get support from AAA third parties.

swerve

DECK'ARD said:
The Wii's pointer added touch-functionality to a console in a clever outside-the-box thinking way. It worked beautifully. Along with all the other changes of the remote to make console gaming more accessible. To think they'd now go backwards and make you interact with your television through a dumbed down DS is bizarre.

But Iwata has acknowledged the added burdon of *bothering to turn on* a home games console - which we must have all felt at some time or other - and also that you have to be in front of the TV (and have no one else watching it).

So, it's quite possible that a 'light', DS-esque experience which connects you to the bigger system at a core level but has its own non-TV screen for some uses, and leads you towards the 'richer experiences', is their solution.

Effect

Fernando Rocker said:
Maybe Nintendo is trolling us and these are fake specs released by them just to confuse us.

I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. It's not like any analyzing is taking place at this sites. They just want the traffic and to be first. So they'll be reporting anything. I think someone is having a good laugh over some of these rumors.

DECK'ARD said:
Yep, I've been saying this since the beginning. Nintendo's mission is to keep itself distinctive. There is nothing to be gained by blurring the line between console and handheld unless you are getting rid of those separate lines to turn them into one product. They aren't doing this.

Too many people seem to be just craving all possible experiences in one, rather than thinking from Nintendo's perspective which is to leverage the strengths of what a standalone handheld can do versus the more social and powerful experience a console can give.

Great post.

The only problem I have with it is that never before, as someone else mentioned, have so many outlets reported on so much information so quickly and backed it up with sources so startingly in line with one another. It's almost as if the leaks are intentional, and I wonder if some are intentionally wrong? But why on earth would Nintendo do that?

No. To me it seems far more likely that all the leaks are accurate, just not in the exact way that they are transcribed. I've been watching this industry for 15 years and I've never seen so many outlets hit with the information at once.

Retro

Perhaps the display isn't an actual screen, but is a 3DS-style holographic display that is projected from a very small screen and magnified. The screen can be interacted with because of a sensor in the projector that can measure the location and distance of your finger in the space above it.

Hell, they already have virtual keyboards that can sense your fingers accurately moving through space, and for a single-touch screen, that's probably much easier;
EsX7q.jpg

You heard it here first, folks. Tiny projector, 6 inch virtual 3-D screen.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Graphics Horse said:
Mario Kart Wii is the best selling non-bundled Wii game. I'm not convinced that's because of the uniqueness of the Wii remote. They built that userbase because they had something unique, and now Sony and Microsoft are muscling in on that market. Whatever controller they go for, you can't deny that's a concern for them.

Well Mario Kart would always sell gangbusters, but I do know from experience that a lot of people less into games liked the wheel thing. It also had the effect of making the game seem fresher than say Double Dash did.

Nintendo will of course have some new angle, and it will probably involve the controller in some way. To believe they would throw out the form-factor of the remote to facilitate that though? I'd find that very hard to believe, especially with the catalog of downsides a 6" screen would have.

Are we sure it's not a .6" screen? ;)

I haven't been in the mood for games for some time now. I'm so busy and I just haven't had the urge to play in months.

Then this thread starts and I keep checking it all weekend to see if any new bits of info drop, and I find myself getting more excited than I have been in a long time.

New Nintendo hardware, man. I'm hyped!

Then I shudder at the thought of trying to get one at launch. I sat on a mall floor for over two hours for a *preorder* last time.

DECK'ARD said:
In my case, just limiting myself to coment about the possibilities or applications of the features mentioned in the rumor. So i base my asumptions in the scenario that theres some "truth" in the info. Giving the benefit of the doubt to some sites that at least has more or less some credibility.

Also they could apply the touch screen while maintaining the pointing controls like some posts have already explained.

Effect

megashock5 said:
Are we sure it's not a .6" screen? ;)

I haven't been in the mood for games for some time now. I'm so busy and I just haven't had the urge to play in months.

Then this thread starts and I keep checking it all weekend to see if any new bits of info drop, and I find myself getting more excited than I have been in a long time.

New Nintendo hardware, man. I'm hyped!

Then I shudder at the thought of trying to get one at launch. I sat on a mall floor for over two hours for a *preorder* last time.

Amazon.com.....Amazon.com

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
GregLombardi said:
It's almost as if the leaks are intentional, and I wonder if some are intentionally wrong? But why on earth would Nintendo do that?

nintendo-wiimote-nunchuck.jpg

sony_move.jpg

Just wait until Sony and MS announce their Touchscreen Pad (199 US$) on E3 while Nintendo shows their affordable
I have no idea
supporting controller and steals the show with innovative
again: no idea
tech!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Lupin the Wolf said:
244nsqw.png

It would suck to have the screen on the back of the controller, where it can't be used for inventory management and hidden items for multiplayer. I like the way your mockup looks, though.

M74

All these leaks failing to mention anything about vitality/sensory inputs bothers me. It really needs to be there. We already know they've been working with the tech, enough so that they showed us a glimpse of it. Clearly the dev support would be there for experimentation (if Gabe is talking it up to such an extensive degree, you know people will at least try to work with sensory tech), so why haven't we heard about it? It seems like it would be the first thing they would talk about. A touchscreen is blasé by comparison.

They can't sell a console on the basis it updates you on your blood oxygen level. They couldn't even sell a peripheral, and no I don't think they held it back because it was too good.
If they can do some sort of passive pulse monitor that only needs you to be gripping the controller, it wouldn't hurt to throw it in.

Lupin the Wolf said:

Yeah that's the kind of thing, I'm not convinced about the idea beacause it forces you to choose one side or the other, does solve some of the space problem though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Bufbaf said:

sony_move.jpg

Just wait until Sony and MS announce their Touchscreen Pad (199 US$) on E3 while Nintendo shows their affordable
I have no idea
tech!

They messed up the cable though, it's supposed to go to the other nunchuk not your hand.

DECK'ARD said:

Well, for one, none of the rumors say they are giving up on the pointer. In fact, Ubisoft sources say the motion control is better than move. I don't see that being accurate if they move to a CC Pro design. I foresee a two part controller with a tablet and pointer ala mouse and keyboard.

Touch controls, however, are quickly becoming a standard. What sets 3DS apart now are the 3D aspect, features like the quick pass, and its portable style software. To say that the new home console having a touch screen steps on the toes of the 3DS would be to say that the Gameboy Advance was too much like the Gamecube because it had shoulder buttons.

Streaming content to the 6" screen would not affect people's perceptions of the 3DS. For one, I'm sure the distance this is possible at would be limited. Secondly, it will allow people at home to choose which system to play based on what game they want to play, not the availability, or lack thereof, of a television. I see it as only advantageous.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again: VIDEO CONFERENCING

StranGER

anyone think this will be powerful enough for details like this?

not that they will do this to mario, but if they wanted to could they?

realmario_530.jpg

robor

GregLombardi said:
Great post.

The only problem I have with it is that never before, as someone else mentioned, have so many outlets reported on so much information so quickly and backed it up with sources so startingly in line with one another. It's almost as if the leaks are intentional, and I wonder if some are intentionally wrong? But why on earth would Nintendo do that?

No. To me it seems far more likely that all the leaks are accurate, just not in the exact way that they are transcribed. I've been watching this industry for 15 years and I've never seen so many outlets hit with the information at once.

Seeing this only makes Nintendo's new console a whole lot more epic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bufbaf said:

sony_move.jpg

I have no idea
tech!

I facepalmed so hard when I saw the Move. If only because it immediately brought this circa-2005 macro to mind:

tK1DG.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fourth Storm said:
Well, for one, none of the rumors say they are giving up on the pointer. In fact, Ubisoft sources say the motion control is better than move. I don't see that being accurate if they move to a CC Pro design. I foresee a two part controller with a tablet and pointer ala mouse and keyboard.

Touch controls, however, are quickly becoming a standard. What sets 3DS apart now are the 3D aspect, features like the quick pass, and its portable style software. To say that the new home console having a touch screen steps on the toes of the 3DS would be to say that the Gameboy Advance was too much like the Gamecube because it had shoulder buttons.

Streaming content to the 6" screen would not affect people's perceptions of the 3DS. For one, I'm sure the distance this is possible at would be limited. Secondly, it will allow people at home to choose which system to play based on what game they want to play, not the availability, or lack thereof, of a television. I see it as only advantageous.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again: VIDEO CONFERENCING

Of course a 6" handheld device that you can play when the TV is in use is treading on the toes of the 3DS. Also, the television is the focus of a console, that's the point of it. As is the social aspect of family play which Nintendo couldn't have been pushing more. They aren't going to do a 180 and make the emphasis of their new HD console that it's a solitary experience played on a 6" screen.

Game-streaming will 99% not be happening anyway, for reasons that have been detailed already.

And Nintendo embracing video-conferencing is even less likely than Nintendo fully embracing online. A camera watching your kids? Your kids getting a penis in the face? Yeah, like that's likely to happen.

Alrus said:
"Kinda stole Goldeneye sequel"?

TimeSplitters 1 would be my best guess....? But Nintendo got Perfect Dark, GoldenEye Rogue Agent (yay?)....and even the GoldenEye Wii-Make (which was actually long after the image was made, but whatever).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
DeathNote said:
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/plays...100622115147245088/g-20060314115917309058/c-1

To say they stole the idea from Nintendo is pretty false. They may have been blindsided and motivated to pump a lot of money into it, but they sat on the concept for 10 years.

There was even some kinect-like tracking going on.
There's obviously a lot of cross-over between those concepts and Move, but the actual technology is quite different. For one, that thing is not a pointer and it doesn't feature any internal motion sensors. I don't think it should be too controversial to say that the Move we ended up with is based much more on the Wiimote than those 10 year old demos.

apana

DeathNote said:
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/plays...100622115147245088/g-20060314115917309058/c-1

To say they stole the idea from Nintendo is pretty false. They may have been blindsided and motivated to pump a lot of money into it, but they sat on the concept for 10 years.

There was even some kinect-like tracking going on.

Motion technology has been around for a long time. The point is that Nintendo actually built and shipped it first in a way that was appealing to people. Clearly the design of the Move has been somewhat influenced by the Wii and it wouldn't even exist if it hadn't been for Nintendo printing money off their motion tech.

Pocks

I don't think each controller will have a 6" touchscreen. I think one 6" tablet will be included with each system. The tablet will have a stand, and it's designed to sit on your coffee table. The camera will be on a swivel, so that it can be used for video chatting, AR, and possibly biometrics (retina/pupil). It has built in IR (or new motion sensing tech) that allows you to interact with it via the Wiimote.

Seamless inventory management, constant display of secondary information, and easy access to OS features would be strong points of the coffee-table tablet.

The biometrics portion is particularly interesting, especially if the tablet includes both a pulse oximeter and retinal / pupil detection.. Those are the exact two biometric features that Gabe @ Valve mentioned regarding the new generation of consoles.

Gabe: We think Biometrics will be really important, we’ve seen a lot of work since the Wii shipped to explore how motion – and with this next generation of controllers – how vision systems are going to affect our games.

Given that we have all these proxies inside of our games, that measure player state, we think that actually being able to measure small things like pupil dilation, heart rate – those are the techniques that are going to give our games enormous impact in the future.
Source

I also think there is a decent chance that the screen will be 3D. Iwata talked about including a 3D screen with the Gamecube, but it was cost prohibitive at the time. Perhaps this is the other surprise to be unveiled at E3.

Iwata: The liquid crystal for it was still expensive. Simply put, Nintendo GameCube could display 3D images if you attached a special LCD, but that special liquid crystal was really expensive back then.
Source

Vinci

Danish
Think I'm just going to wait for Nintendo to say what the hell the screen is for. Nothing anyone has suggested thus far has made it seem like a good idea.

EDIT: Pocks, you're winning the speculation race thus far.

Regarding the 6" screen, it is still the one part of the rumours that I find hard to believe. It does seem as though multiple sources are now corroborating that rumour. In any case, I don't think it represents any clash with 3DS as some here have suggested...

• What if Nintendo has data suggesting that the gaming done on most iPads and NGPs will be done in the home? Indeed, they may have data that will show a lot of gaming on their OWN handhelds will be done in the home.
  • What if they also forsaw that creating a super high powered handheld would be a blood bath and the resulting component costs would reduce their flexibility in pricing their handheld at mass market acceptable prices?

Posit:

• 3DS launches 8 months ahead of NGP and can be reduced in price as competition necessitates, it has 3D as a key differentiator for marketing purposes.
  • Wii 2 launches next year and can stream incredible graphics to a 6" screen you hold in your hands - much like Remote Play PS3/PSP. With an added slice of Nintendo ingenuity and keeping the parts as cheap as possible, buyers of Wii 2 get Nintendo HD home console AND a high end portable that can be played in the home for the price of one.
  • The link between the two provides inherent and as yet unforseen gameplay opportunities that help differentiate the console from the competition
  • ...such opportunities might include experiences that hark back to their connectivity experiments on Gamecube. Multiplayer games in the living room may become more like online games, with an element of surprise, in that each player would have a game screen to themselves.
  • Other aspects of the main controller or compatibility with legacy controllers gives the console the more traditional inputs needed for hardcore gaming.

SuperJay

I don't get the vitality sensor fandom. It was so obviously hastily cobbled together to fill in the gaps of a lackluster presentation. They didn't even demonstrate any software. Does anyone honestly think there will ever be more than one, maybe two games that will utilize it effectively once (if) Nintendo finally releases it? It's another wiispeak waiting to happen and they know it.

thefro

Alrus said:
"Kinda stole Goldeneye sequel"?

Tomorrow_Never_Dies_Coverart.png

The theory among Nintendo fanboys was that Sony bought MGM (which they didn't do, they only ever owned something like 10%), it was only to get Bond and partially to get the Bond games away from Nintendo.

Reality is that EA was willing to pay way more than Nintendo did for the license. Nintendo only ever got the license because it was cheap when the Bond franchise was more or less dead before the Goldeneye movie came out.

Gamer98

Banned
Bufbaf said:

sony_move.jpg

I have no idea
tech!

Lmao shit is sad.

Pocks

SuperJay said:
I don't get the vitality sensor fandom. It was so obviously hastily cobbled together to fill in the gaps of a lackluster presentation. They didn't even demonstrate any software. Does anyone honestly think there will ever be more than one, maybe two games that will utilize it effectively once (if) Nintendo finally releases it? It's another wiispeak waiting to happen and they know it.

Valve seems to like the idea of a pulse oximeter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom