• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

nynt9

*gulps*

wBBGBo3.png

Crocodile

It was more on feeling that the Castlevania name and interest in the formula those titles eventually offered was for a very niche audience. I mean, Konami went of their way for years saying that the franchise became unprofitable and the audience was declining in massive droves, hence the need for a reboot. That was their entire rhetoric on just abandoning everything pre-Lords of Shadow.

Of course this is Konami, so there's some obvious bullshit to their claims, but Iga's games did continue to sell less and less..

To be fair, I think that has a lot to do with the near annualization of the franchise that Konami forced on IGA (and the budget constraints that followed). Critically, Order of Eccelsia is still considered one of the best in the series. The quality didn't disappear, gamers just got fatigued. Don't give them their fix for a few years and you get.......this Kickstarter.

nynt9

To be fair, I think that has a lot to do with the near annualization of the franchise that Konami forced on IGA (and the budget constraints that followed). Critically, Order of Eccelsia is still considered one of the best in the series. The quality didn't disappear, gamers just got fatigued. Don't give them their fix for a few years and you get.......this Kickstarter.

Even though the games were annualized, Dawn, Aria and Ecclesia are still among my favorite games of all time, and so is SOTN obviously

(see my post above)

Eusis

Seriously, if this happened just a year afterwards I either wouldn't care or would be like "meh, I like them enough."

Now? I realized we'd actually been waiting longer than we had for quite awhile, and now playing OoE is great.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So instead of that vacation, you're helping to craft history. That passion is how we have a civilization to look upon. I mean think about it, for ages great artists had ruling class benefactors, but now we have the systems for society to handle it themselves. Cheers.

OmegaDL50

We had a brainstorming thread that went nowhere, lol

Is a Chakram in the game. Or a large throwing disc.

I was wondering if there was some sort of restriction the type of weapon allowed.

I was thinking maybe a Chakram which two halves was in the colors of the GAF logo

Gold and Steel

97438cb75f71a99d051ea4320d9f36b6.jpg

We had a brainstorming thread that went nowhere, lol

Going to just take time, honestly. Time to GIS all kinds of swords/weapons/etc, find something you like, then 'bloodstain it' with the stain glass/etc.

Would help if we knew what all classes of weapons the game will have. We know of whips, swords, and hammers, but what about knuckles? Tonfas? Axes? Polearms? etc.

TheChits

Fangamer make QUALITY stuff, too. I am 100% confident that the bonus stuff we get in the 100+ tier will be premium stuff. I guarantee it'll be the best video game swag keychain you have.

Yeah I have bought quite a few shirts and things from them over the years. Their quality and customer service are second to none. <3

Zubz

Banned
Is a Chakram in the game. Or a large throwing disc.

I was wondering if there was some sort of restriction the type of weapon allowed.

I was thinking maybe a Chakram which two halves was in the colors of the GAF logo

Gold and Steel

97438cb75f71a99d051ea4320d9f36b6.jpg

Man, that'd be fantastic!

I have no idea how to actually use Photoshop and I'm a terrible artist to boot but this is a very crude and early concept of how Miriam's magical girl staff might look.

concept.jpg

If anybody knows of a good freeform drawing application to use on a Surface Pro 2 you should let me know ASAP. Thanks.

Dremark

Banned
neogaf shout out

Glorious GAF shoutout!

GAF SHOUTOUT!!!

Edit: Damn shouldn't have freaked out :p

Neogaf was mentionned, THEY ARE WATCHING US !! XD

Look at that KickStarter counter go :p
Loving the stream, those guys got some amazing energy or just drunk (either way I'm enjoying it).

There was a shout out at NeoGAF, so apparently they have been following us.

I called that, although I suppose enough people watch this place it wasn't exactly a huge leap jumping to that conclusion.

Oh by the way, so some of you stop chatting, I was willing to make an exception and backed this and yooka laylee. So stop all your "YOURE OPINION DOESNT MATTER CUS U NO BACK!!" cause seriously, even if I didnt decide to back it, I should still be able to share my opinion without getting flamed. Especially about the boss thing cause if it was any other game some of you wouldve called foul as well

For what it's worth, I'm hugely in favor of this project but still against that content being restricted to backers.

I have no idea how to actually use Photoshop and I'm a terrible artist to boot but this is a very crude and early concept of how Miriam's magical girl staff might look.

concept.jpg

If anybody knows of a good freeform drawing application to use on a Surface Pro 2 you should let me know ASAP. Thanks.

As a fan of Fate/kaleid liner PrismaIllya, I approve so much.

As a fan of Fate/kaleid liner PrismaIllya, I approve so much.

I just happened to pick Kaleido Ruby as the base for this concept because I'm familiar with it's appearance and I can imagine how a "stained glass" version of it might look. I'm sure the art team at Inti Creates can make a much better looking version of this though, thank God.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lol my stepping in for Ben was totally unplanned. I was not prepared to talk for Igarashi! I'm not a translator!

Woke up and saw that we just so broke the $5.5 mil stretch goal with regular funding alone! That is so brutally awesome I don't even know what to say.

I can't wait for this game.

Sciz

Thought I'd tally up everything that was funded/unlocked for the game for easy, at-a-glance reference since the stretch goal image is enormous and the details are scattered across a couple dozen updates.

• A new IGAvania
  • The largest IGAvania
    - Extra boss
  • Releasing on PC/PS4/XB1/Wii U/Vita
  • Prequel minigame on said platforms and 3DS
  • Three playable characters
  • Nightmare difficulty
  • New game plus
  • Local campaign co-op
  • Async online features
    - Stat lending, player ghosts for bosses, player graves, +???
  • Orchestrated music
  • Guest voice actor: David Hayter
  • Cheat codes
    - Silly cheat codes
  • Bonus costume
  • Retro area
  • Speed run mode
    - "Features to help speedrunners plan the perfect route"
  • Boss rush mode
  • Classic mode:
    - Six linear stages, no RPG elements
    - 8-bit music for classic mode
    -- Two 8-bit tracks guest starring Virt
  • Challenge mode
    - Online, co-op, versus; specially designed stages with extra powerful bosses
  • Roguelike mode
    - Procedural dungeons, sharable seeds
  • Boss mode
    - Playable bosses versus the heroes in a new area

Some of this is standard IGAvania stuff, but a lot of it isn't. Game's gonna be huge.

chrono01

Thought I'd tally up everything that was funded/unlocked for the game for easy, at-a-glance reference since the stretch goal image is enormous and the details are scattered across a couple dozen updates.

• A new IGAvania
  • The largest IGAvania
    - Extra boss
  • Releasing on PC/PS4/XB1/Wii U/Vita
  • Prequel minigame on said platforms and 3DS
  • Three playable characters
  • Nightmare difficulty
  • New game plus
  • Local campaign co-op
  • Async online features
    - Stat lending, player ghosts for bosses, player graves, +???
  • Orchestrated music
  • Guest voice actor: David Hayter
  • Cheat codes
    - Silly cheat codes
  • Bonus costume
  • Retro area
  • Speed run mode
    - "Features to help speedrunners plan the perfect route"
  • Boss rush mode
  • Classic mode:
    - Six linear stages, no RPG elements
    - 8-bit music for classic mode
    -- Two 8-bit tracks guest starring Virt
  • Challenge mode
    - Online, co-op, versus; specially designed stages with powerful bosses
  • Roguelike mode
    - Procedural dungeons, sharable seeds
  • Boss mode
    - Playable bosses versus the heroes in a new area

Some of this is standard IGAvania stuff, but a lot of it isn't. Game's gonna be huge.
Yeah, it's really impressive. I'm so proud to be a part of this.

concept.jpg

A magical girl transformation rod would be hilarious. Need to find out if there is a shield rod style thing that could be done.

Like for say, using the rod triggers different actions based on the armor you are wearing. Or maybe it's a simple as it taking a ton of mana to use it's 'special' which triggers Magical Gothic Princess Miriam-chan mode for 30 seconds.

A magical girl transformation rod would be hilarious. Need to find out if there is a shield rod style thing that could be done.

Like for say, using the rod triggers different actions based on the armor you are wearing. Or maybe it's a simple as it taking a ton of mana to use it's 'special' which triggers Magical Gothic Princess Miriam-chan mode for 30 seconds.

I would demand that Inti Creates add a stock magical girl transformation animatic but I suspect that's going to be beyond the limits of what a game weapon backer can ask for lol

chrono01

concept.jpg

Please tell me it glitters/sparkles when you swing it. If so...BEST WEAPON EVER!

Moofers

Dude. So happy about Bloodstained hitting 5.5 and being the new king of gaming kickstarters. IN YOUR FACE, KONAMI! I watched the last 15 mins of their stream as they counted down and it was so nice to see the staff hanging out having champaign and treats. Warmed my heart. Very happy to be a backer :)

Top Bottom