• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
But I've been in live streams before where the chat was disabled and it just shows the empty chat with a message saying it's disabled. Here it had youtube comments in place of chat.

That link doesn't appear to be linked to a live stream though. That looked like a recorded video, hence it shows comments like typical uploaded Youtube video.

_Isaac

That link doesn't appear to be linked to a live stream though. That looked like a recorded video, hence it shows comments like typical uploaded Youtube video.
Yeah now. When I linked it, it was a live stream, but this thread wasn't very active. The stream's long been over. Ah well no biggie.

Maximo

Not even remotely. A no effort channel probably could but right now the options speed in how it works and other factors makes it pre-alpha.

Just so im clear after a Stream it automatically adds the Video to your channel, and there is no way to edit it, so I can't edit it via Sony Vegas then upload it on my own?
Is there an option to NOT let it upload straight to my channel? Want to possibly Stream then add sections of it onto my Channel but edited.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just so im clear after a Stream it automatically adds the Video to your channel, and there is no way to edit it, so I can't edit it via Sony Vegas then upload it on my own?
Is there an option to NOT let it upload straight to my channel? Want to possibly Stream then add sections of it onto my Channel but edited.

If you need to edit, save a local copy with whatever program you use to stream.

You can edit the VOD after Youtube processes it, but Youtube's editor is pretty limited. I also think it blocks you out of editing features if the video has been hit with a content match.

I'm not sure if there's a setting that prevents the VOD from posting automatically, but there is one that makes all of your stream archives private and hidden by default.

Just noticed that if you're watching a video on the YouTube Gaming app for iOS you can swipe back and forth to skip back and forth 30 seconds or so.

You can also do this during a stream, which is awesome. Want to see what killed Uther in a Heroes of the Storm tournament? Swipe back for the instant replay.

This is a fantastic feature.
And if you don't want to miss too much action in catching up (hitting the live button should take you right to that point) you watch the thing at double speed too.

Exile20

Yes there is a setting to not upload after the steam ends. You can also set a video to private after it is uploaded.

Is everyone else still having issues with YouTube gaming listing your stream under the wrong name, I can't seem to get mine to switch unless I wait a day.

Ryhian

I'm sure it was asked previously but is there a way to not display your real name when logged in and chatting while watching a stream? Am I forced to make a bogus account to avoid my real name being displayed?

Not a fan of the UI on the iOS app. I feel like it's a chore to find games that are live streaming. Takes a few more steps than it should.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm sure it was asked previously but is there a way to not display your real name when logged in and chatting while watching a stream? Am I forced to make a bogus account to avoid my real name being displayed?

Not a fan of the UI on the iOS app. I feel like it's a chore to find games that are live streaming. Takes a few more steps than it should.

i think you can create a second channel and name that whatever and it links to your account. you can switch to it when you want to comment or stream and not have people see your name.

the annoying thing is that there isn't a quick and easy way to roll over subscriptions, past video uploads, etc. and stuff from your primary account. basically you start over from scratch. on the apps i'm not sure how you can easily switch. i think you have to log out and then log back in and its asks you which one you want to use.

i think its google+ that fucks everything over. hopefully once google+ is separated from everything they let you go back to displaying a username or something. although i wonder how creating these separate channels affects the namespace. its all very confusing how they have stuff setup tbh. i never really understood how stuff linked together with different channels and google+, etc.

jetsetrez

Anyone else getting an error loading up the home page? It loads almost all the way, and right as it would load the full page it 404's. Does this on both Chrome and Edge.

Maximo

Has anyone asked a Mod if we can make a official thread for Youtube Gaming much like Twitch has its own community thread? Have been tempted to make one for a YouTube Gaming Community thread for awhile, but seems like with Youtube Gaming it might be the perfect time. Never made a OT myself so haven't pursued it any further.

Exile20

Has anyone asked a Mod if we can make a official thread for Youtube Gaming much like Twitch has its own community thread? Have been tempted to make one for a YouTube Gaming Community thread for awhile, but seems like with Youtube Gaming it might be the perfect time. Never made a OT myself so haven't pursued it any further.

It can't hurt. The title of this thread really does not apply. Would be nice to have a list of gaffers on YTG

I quite like the features available and the ability to stream at 1080/60 but man, I've barely found anyone interesting to watch at all. How vacuous of content was Twitch at the beginning? Do you guys think YouTube Gaming will be a big thing?

i was streaming KF2 over the weekend, but as you can see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_cW55wu4SU
the quality is lame and only 720p.

Im using X-split broadcaster, is there anything better than that? (and is free?)
What are your settings? I've never used Xsplit before. I use OBS - free. I stream at 6500 and hit 1080/60 no problem. With OBS you can screencast, too, so you can setup your stream and record it locally to test settings and see how it looks with playback before going live.

There's a bunch of reasons why you aren't hitting 1080/60 from PC performance, network performance, broqdcaster settings, etc.

I quite like the features available and the ability to stream at 1080/60 but man, I've barely found anyone interesting to watch at all. How vacuous of content was Twitch at the beginning? Do you guys think YouTube Gaming will be a big thing?
Don't know how it was back then. I'm hoping YT streaming picks up. There's a shit ton of features which make it nice and the quality is great when streams are 1080/60.

What are your settings? I've never used Xsplit before. I use OBS - free. I stream at 6500 and hit 1080/60 no problem. With OBS you can screencast, too, so you can setup your stream and record it locally to test settings and see how it looks with playback before going live.

There's a bunch of reasons why you aren't hitting 1080/60 from PC performance, network performance, broqdcaster settings, etc.

Don't know how it was back then. I'm hoping YT streaming picks up. There's a shit ton of features which make it nice and the quality is great when streams are 1080/60.

thanks man, i might look into OBS

i was streaming KF2 over the weekend, but as you can see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_cW55wu4SU

Im using X-split broadcaster, is there anything better than that? (and is free?)

There's a lot to streaming then just resolution and framerate, you want to check your bitrates and the quality of the encoder being used to do such things.

For example using X264 encoding which is a cpu heavy encoder, using an ultra fast setting means it will do a poor job in compression but use much less cpu result being a more blocky and messy image.

For top quality you want to encode with a SLOWER setting, this means each frame of the video has more cpu time to encode into a cleaner image unless you own a modern quad core you may have to stuck to faster speeds and counter the quality loss with a bitrate increase but this only goes so far.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Twitch probably wasn't ever barren because it started as a gaming-specific offshoot of justin.tv that probably only came into fruition because justin.tv already had a lot of gaming streams.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

Hmmm ? I've seen a couple of thousands people watching Phantom Pain, IGN Live, Giantbomb... etc quite regularly. Being a new streamer myself, I've also recently just hit double digit with current live viewership on Youtube as well. I've never been able to get even a single viewer on Twitch before since I'm way down at the bottom of the list whenever I stream a slightly more popular game.

There's a lot to streaming then just resolution and framerate, you want to check your bitrates and the quality of the encoder being used to do such things.

For example using X264 encoding which is a cpu heavy encoder, using an ultra fast setting means it will do a poor job in compression but use much less cpu result being a more blocky and messy image.

For top quality you want to encode with a SLOWER setting, this means each frame of the video has more cpu time to encode into a cleaner image unless you own a modern quad core you may have to stuck to faster speeds and counter the quality loss with a bitrate increase but this only goes so far.

Yes every stream needs to read this ! Youtube is the same as Twitch with streaming. OBS as the free streaming software is fine. You also have to adjust your bitrate and also CPU usage depending on your specs/internet setting. That takes time and effort to test over and over again till you hit the balance. The biggest advantage to Youtube right now is that they allow for 9k bitrate ingestion while Twitch doesn't for small streamers like me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
how can you tell what platform the streamer is playing on and is there sorting options so that you only see streamers ps4, xbox, etc.?

The Flash

Banned
how can you tell what platform the streamer is playing on and is there sorting options so that you only see streamers ps4, xbox, etc.?

No, pretty much need to filter it out yourself. Some people will put the platform they're playing on in the title.

I use OBS https://obsproject.com/

It's free, and really powerful. There are TONS of guides on the site for how to set up streaming with it. Youtube has a guide for recommended bitrates to set your encoder to in order to ensure some decent quality: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702?hl=en

You will HAVE to experiment a bit, and do a bit of reading to get things set up right. A lot of it rides on what kind of upload rate your internet connection can handle (do a speedtest for a rough guideline for that.

I was messing with quality settings and found a nice balance that lets me throw out 720p60fps video with reasonable quality for streams https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=GxC4vmaVcZw

entremet

I just found out from another Youtuber that if you get a copyright strike you can't stream until it's settled.

Talk about BS.

Especially since the system is automated.

jediyoshi

I just found out from another Youtuber that if you get a copyright strike you can't stream until it's settled.

You're out for 6 months before the strike disappears and the time stacks up to 3 strikes at which point your account is removed. When you have a strike on your account, you pretty much lose branding/funding options along with stuff like unlisted and >15+ minute videos.

Tested out streaming with PS4 FW 3.00 during lunch here at work. Here's the archive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYqZC-SPLfo

I love the video quality option for viewers. I cannot fully judge the video quality until I get home and try things out on my house connection.

I want to test out the chat as it seems to be sorely lacking when compared to Twitch's.

I'm going to to stream more when I get off work at around 8pm central time U.S. Probably some GTA Online with a combo of retro themed stuff like the new Leynos demo. Stop by if you like: www.youtube.com/wip3outguy7

RedAssedApe

Banned
Does the BEST HD option on Youtube require more bandwidth than BEST HD option on Twitch when streaming from PS4? I have 50/5 which I thought was enough. IIRC Twitch requires 2.5Mbps for the highest quality on consoles.

Video quality seems approximately the same but Youtube seems to take much longer to buffer and seems to randomly drop in quality more often. Also, I thought one of the upsides to Youtube Gaming is that there is supposed to be less of a delay than Twitch. Both seem to have a similar delay?

I have "reduce stream delay" Beta ticked in Twitch and "Optimize for interaction (low latency)" in Youtube. Are those supposed to be about the same?

Streaming some GTA now. gaming.youtube.com/wip3outguy7

Edit: Streaming Assault Suits Leynos Demo 2 now.

All done for the night. Thanks for everyone who came out to watch.

So impressions, streaming direct from the PS4...

-Video quality varies quite a bit. While no one experienced any buffering, the image would go from HD to blocky in scenes where Twich would keep it together. You could still tell what was going on, but the stability that I experience with Twitch when using the same video settings isn't quite there.

-Chat isn't bad, but we were only able to get it to work when using the gaming.youtube.com site. Standard YouTube site chat entries never posted. Once we got everyone into the right chat, it worked alright. Notifications were extremely delayed when watchers would post. Twitch chat notifications are almost always instant, even if a stream delay is present.

-The dashboard is almost worthless. Title and descriptions are reset to your default settings as soon as you start the stream. This means you have to update the title and description on the PS4 and then on YouTube. With Twitch, twitch.tv takes priority and the PS4 picks up on what you set as soon as you start the broadcast.

The verdict? I'm probably going to start streaming through YouTube exclusively now that I have the option. I have more subscribers and a longer history. The YT streaming community is still growing and I think there is more room for opportunity. Qualty and stability is only going to get better. This will all change in an instant if I'm struck with a random violation, of course.

Streaming some GTA for a bit if anyone wants to tune in. gaming.youtube.com/wip3outguy7

Done for the night. Thanks to everyone who came out.

Is there a streaming/broadcast thread? I know there's the thread where people share their gaming videos, but what about a place where fellow GAFers can let people know when they're live streaming?

Top Bottom