• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
desktop-gaming-mark-2x.png

Youtube Gaming - Website is LIVE !

Alright you guys. Are your bodies ready ? Youtube's answer to Twitch is HERE !!!

Android App - Only available in US/UK right now
iOS App - Only available in US/UK right now

Gamespot's article - General news update on the platform
AndroidPolice's Indepth Look At Its Mobile Platform
Polygon's Article of Impression
Techcrunch's article - Has a slideshow on its mobile platform's appearance
family-medium.png

Courtesy of Techcrunch

FAQ:
Will this be available on PS4 ?
The answer is... YES ! It is leaked that it will be coming out in the next big PS4 update, so stay tune !

Will this be available in countries outside of US/UK ?
It will be available internationally in the future, but right now it is only available in the US and UK. No words on the timeline of the rollout yet.

Is the Youtube Gaming player HTML5 ?
YES !

Is there an app for this ?
Yes, it is currently available on Android systems now through the store. iOS version should be coming out later today as well ! Note though, this is only rolling out in English-speaking regions first !

What's the Youtube streaming quality ?
Follow Google's instruction here: Live encoder settings, bitrates and resolutions. The quality of stream can be extremely high and not limited to just Youtube Partners.

Will Youtube Game videos appear in "normal" Youtube ?
Yes. Youtube Gaming is more like an additional filter that is designed to help organize game-category videos better on Youtube. Your current Youtube channel and everything still remain and can be access from "normal" Youtube.

How do I disconnect Google+ with my Youtube account ?
Follow Google's guide to do so. Only work if you didn't create a channel with your Google+ account already though.

JordanKZ

I've been using the beta Android app on my phone and tablet for a couple of weeks now. It's a really solid app, hopefully most will like it.

Velcro Fly

Twitch isn't going anywhere. Youtube might carve out a niche but large streamers are not going to abandon twitch.

It remains to be seen if it get manage to steal Twitch's thunder.
I do think it will be able to take some of their market share simply by how big of a juggernaut Youtube/Google is, but I don't subscribe to the idea that Twitch will die out just because Youtube is entering the space.

Aeana

It's not really about whether one "wins" over the other. The important thing is for Twitch to have some actual competition in this space to keep the service from getting worse for users.

Twitch isn't going anywhere. Youtube might carve out a niche but large streamers are not going to abandon twitch.

YouTube has a better player, a more recognizable brand, and is available on more devices than Twitch. Lots of big streamers started off as big YouTubers... No reason they won't streamline their channel into a single source for their content.

It'll be dead like Hitbox in a month due to all the Twitch streamer partnerships. Twitch also has those chat emotes everyone is used to now.

Still not interested if the brainless changes to Youtube over the past 5 years are a reflection of anything.

For all it's jank twitch still has the best small communities I've been a part of.

SalvaPot

I really need an alternative to twitch, it can be so laggy sometimes, and also the community can by quite toxic (Not that the Youtube community is all saints, but there are more options to regulate them I think)

It'll be dead like Hitbox in a month due to all the Twitch streamer partnerships. Twitch also has those chat emotes everyone is used to now.

Youtube have their own partnerships, if anyone can compete with twitch is them.

WillyFive

The big thing would be to basically have multi-platform streamers; a streamer would stream one stream to two or more streaming websites, expanding his/her audience and revenue while the streaming sites compete by making it better for the users and streamers.

Hitbox failed by not striking while the iron was hit and incentivizing streamers to also stream to Hitbox, because then Hitbox's advantages over Twitch (the much smaller delay between live stream and the viewers) would have been a major selling point.

Fehyd

Banned
If it offers better quality with more uptime than twitch, its going to hold my interest.

Twitch is a horror show if you aren't partnered.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
YouTube has a better player, a more recognizable brand, and is available on more devices than Twitch. Lots of big streamers started off as big YouTubers... No reason they won't streamline their channel into a single source for their content.

Lots of those same people are also now Twitch partners, who likely aren't going to be jumping ship from a service that pays them.

dex3108

One option that YT will never add and it is awesome in Twitch app is pop up window. But we will see. Gaming app is nice and new Live Stream Dashboard on YT is nice too.

The big thing would be to basically have multi-platform streamers; a streamer would stream one stream to two or more streaming websites, expanding his/her audience and revenue while the streaming sites compete by making it better for the users and streamers.
Actually, From what I've observed, Streaming on both Youtube and Twitch just splits the audience.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm sure Youtube Gaming can start partnering up with streamers, create their own fun emoticons and have a nice payment system setup as well. If they can get all those things down right, then we definitely have a fight on our hands. Excited to see what happens and can't wait for it to be available in Canada. I'm from Canada and would love to stream with Youtube Gaming :p

Jarrod38

Just hope it doesn't turn into Twitch with all the popup music when someone follows or subscribes to a channel or the stream goes like this Hey guys don't forget to hit that like and subscribe button because that really helps me out. I'll repeat this 30 times throughout the stream.

convo

It's not really about whether one "wins" over the other. The important thing is for Twitch to have some actual competition in this space to keep the service from getting worse for users.

Here's for Germany being part of it someday... but i doubt it.

Just hope it doesn't turn into Twitch with all the popup music when someone follows or subscribes to a channel or the stream goes like this Hey guys don't forget to hit that like and subscribe button because that really helps me out. I'll repeat this 30 times throughout the stream.
It's not Twitch's fault for how streamers make their money.

Breads

Banned
I really need an alternative to twitch, it can be so laggy sometimes, and also the community can by quite toxic (Not that the Youtube community is all saints, but there are more options to regulate them I think)

The cult of kappa and terrible player is what kept me away from twitch. All public communities are subject to being complete garbage but what has me excited is that unlike twitch the youtube player has never given me problems which alone has me excited for it being an alternative to twitch.

The rebranding of youtube streaming is kind of funny to me though. I guess it is necessary but to me it was kinda sorta already here. For example it's where I caught E3. It just wasn't a well known/ well adopted system in comparison to twitch.

Revven

And lots of other big streamers started on Twitch and not Youtube... People who are bigger on Twitch than they are on Youtube will stay on Twitch -- they don't gain anything by switching other than losing a portion of their audience along the way.

The biggest thing that's going to keep Youtube from being bigger than Twitch is its chat and community within that chat. Unless they've changed how chat functions with this new streaming service (which I doubt when we basically got a preview of the service during E3 when they had that livestream) the audience that watches streamers aren't going to be so quick to move over because the community on Twitch love the emotes and the memery despite how toxic any one big streamer's chat can appear at times.

Hip Hop

Put me in as one of those that think Youtube will not make a dent to Twitch, but interested in seeing it live.

You just can't up and leave a service that you know well, have money in (donations/subs), and have a dedicated audience that won't necessarily switch to other services.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
If it doesn't buffer or I don't have to pause and play to get stuck streams to work, then it's won in my book. Aside from the streamers I actually gotten to know and talk to over the years that is.

Sou Da

Any info about the chat moderation yet? I've noticed how shitty it is for big streams, like literally unreadable.

I know even the smaller streamers I follow are started to do that.
They're just copying what's successful.
The reason why it's successful is because it works for the demographic that watches Twitch.
The majority likes seeing their name pop up on the stream and getting a shoutouts on stream. That leads to more subscriptions, donations, follows, etc.
If you want to blame anybody, blame the audience.

Top Bottom