• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

ViciousDS

Banned
Now all we need is YouTube streaming from PS4 in the next few months......which is happening. I really think YouTube is going to hit twitch more than we think

^^^^^twitch already has that and mutes auto for giant chunks when dedected.

Stackboy

Sounds good! Twitch streaming in my country (Australia) is terrible, when every other service has no problems (Youtube, Netflix).

As someone who has one of the oldest gaming-related channels on Youtube, I'm interested to see where this goes. I'd say carving out a niche on a gaming channel is even harder to do on current Youtube than it is on Twitch. Twitch has the community-created raids and the Twitch-sanctioned host feature which allows people to share their viewers with other channels and communities, but Youtube doesn't have anything like that. People always say that Call of Duty and Minecraft is the way to go if you want to make profit off videos, but those communities are incredibly saturated too. If these new game sections make it easier to find people who specialize in games with smaller communities, I'm all for it. Going viral always has some sort of luck to it, but Youtube's current format makes it even more the case.

Redmoon

Always had issues with YT streams buffering past 480p (125mb down here), never once with Twitch so I hope I dont have the same issue with YTG.

Lets just hope it only help improves Twitch (assuming its not too late) and the audience doesnt get split up. Would hate to see one of em die out from this.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
As someone who has one of the oldest gaming-related channels on Youtube, I'm interested to see where this goes. I'd say carving out a niche on a gaming channel is even harder to do on current Youtube than it is on Twitch. Twitch has the community-created raids and the Twitch-sanctioned host feature which allows people to share their viewers with other channels and communities, but Youtube doesn't have anything like that. People always say that Call of Duty and Minecraft is the way to go if you want to make profit off videos, but those communities are incredibly saturated too. If these new game sections make it easier to find people who specialize in games with smaller communities, I'm all for it. Going viral always has some sort of luck to it, but Youtube's current format makes it even more the case.

Oh yes. Hosting would be a great feature on Youtube if they can implement it. The dream/goal I have is to get a couple of guys together to create a nice broadcast schedule while everybody can keep their own individual channel. For example, a GAF channel that hosts GAF members and their twitch. when one is streaming. Put up a Google doc Excel sheet and everybody can put in the time they want to be hosted on the master channel. The master channel will host you during your allotted time. That way, it can be a 24/7 channel like a TV channel. If Youtube can do something like this, it'd be great :)

DavidDesu

In the past few short months, and once I enabled the fresher YouTube player (not sure if that's rolled out to everyone by now..) I've found YouTube to have improved immeasurably. 60fps videos run pretty well on my 5 year old MacBook Pro, even live streaming 60fps like the recent PlayStation E3 conference went without a single hitch. VERY impressive versus my dabblings with Twitch for past conferences. This of course will hold true for their game streaming service.

Google certainly do some things right, and YT is one of them.

Karak

Agreed. Its going to be very interesting but I am not holding my breath for anything other than basically a youtube filter running in the background sending you to curating pages.

Oh yes. Hosting would be a great feature on Youtube if they can implement it. The dream/goal I have is to get a couple of guys together to create a nice broadcast schedule while everybody can keep their own individual channel. For example, a GAF channel that hosts GAF members and their twitch. when one is streaming. Put up a Google doc Excel sheet and everybody can put in the time they want to be hosted on the master channel. The master channel will host you during your allotted time. That way, it can be a 24/7 channel like a TV channel. If Youtube can do something like this, it'd be great :)

Ever need someone to join in on that I am game man. Love talking games. My channel is smaller than the big guys, I think I am like at 54-55k. But would love to sit down and talk games.

NetMapel

Ever need someone to join in on that I am game man. Love talking games. My channel is smaller than the big guys, I think I am like at 54-55k. But would love to sit down and talk games.

Sweet ! Good to know. It'd just be great to have 24/7 live hosting broadcast of gaming goodness. That way, there is no need to people to even turn to another channel ;)

Possibly on the archived video but we don't really know how Content ID will work with the service yet.

I don't think you get content ID during a live stream. However, the archived version will have content ID check.

Also, recently Youtube has been rolling out Live Stream BETA that is clearly more geared towards gaming. Less latency and you can put in the game title for your stream. The BETA is pretty good and I've seen a lot of improvements from it since it begun.

desktop-gaming-mark-2x.png

Alright you guys. Are your bodies ready ? Youtube's answer to Twitch is set to launch tomorrow. At the very least, it'll be ready for US streamers to use tomorrow. Not sure about UK just yet.

https://gaming.youtube.com/

Gamespot's article

Techcrunch's article - Has a slideshow on its mobile platform's appearance

Hit me with your controller if old. Discuss and start putting down your bet on how this is all going to go down now ! Launch just in time for the greatest "5th" game to ever be released, Metal Gear Solid V !

I'm eagerly waiting for this, twitch has always worked like shit for me, I can watch streams at 1080 en youtube and, at best, at low in twitch

la_briola

I wonder how they will solve their problem with Germany (GEMA), its the third biggest demographic for Twitch, so it will be of importance to YouTube.
BrokeBack.png

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Unless YouTube throws money around I can't see them hurting Twitch too much, people might watch larger events on YT though.

fugimax

Excited for you all to get your hands on it.

Many long-time gaffers on the team. We may not always be able to respond (we're busy building!), but we're definitely reading.

<3

NetMapel

Excited for you all to get your hands on it.

Many long-time gaffers on the team. We may not always be able to respond (we're busy building!), but we're definitely reading.

<3

Are you a dev for Youtube Gaming ? :O :O :O Can you bring this to Canada please ? :)

Some streamers are allied with twitch right? Like they cannot post their stream videos to youtube.

The ability to post videos to youtube without this restriction might contribute to streamers switching sides I'd imagine. Look how popular and successful PewDiePie has been with just posted videos.

Imagine looking up videos on a game just to have a list of live streams pop up.

I don't know if this will his twitch hard or not, but its easy to see how it is a threat.

Karak

Sweet ! Good to know. It'd just be great to have 24/7 live hosting broadcast of gaming goodness. That way, there is no need to people to even turn to another channel ;)

Ya if hosting every became a thing. Man that would would rock.
I never heard from anyone at youtube despite trying to contact a ton of times to ask questions about stuff. Assuming they are just busy.

What a lot of my subs want to know is if its basically just a youtube filter to doll out game related videos only with a fancy front end. The streaming stuff is ok for a beta, and youtubes technical handling of higher bitrate is well established and I love it. But Twitch has so much more going for it.

I don't see how it will help me at all. But it might help game creators which helps me in the process.

No delay chat?
There is an option already in the beta to speed it up. I don't use it as it has a warning about additional or more frequent buffering which seems odd. Not sure how much it speeds it up but ya that would rock!

Also if you go to youtube and search a game does it shuttle you to youtube gaming?

atbigelow

Installed the beta APK a while back and it's amazingly slick.

Can't wait to easily watch shit on my Nexus Player. Twitch has yet to make a real Android TV app and their Chromecast player is super bugged.

And nevermind how awful Twitch's player has always been. YT is years ahead of their client tech.

OneUh8

Hopefully this takes off. Twitch video player and archiving sucks imo. Youtube should be a much better environment.

Rise Google RIZE!!!

Yes, I am a Google fangirl. Yes, I am excited for YouTube Gaming. Yes, I will be using it full-time instead of twitch since I can always remember my Google passwords lol. I'm ready to convert

gai_shain

Some streamers are allied with twitch right? Like they cannot post their stream videos to youtube.

The ability to post videos to youtube without this restriction might contribute to streamers switching sides I'd imagine. Look how popular and successful PewDiePie has been with just posted videos.

Imagine looking up videos on a game just to have a list of live streams pop up.

I don't know if this will his twitch hard or not, but its easy to see how it is a threat.

Never heard of this, most big streamers post their stuff to youtube, or atleast the stuff they think is good for a video

I wonder how they will solve their problem with Germany (GEMA), its the third biggest demographic for Twitch, so it will be of importance to YouTube.
BrokeBack.png

yeah im also wondering about that

EloquentM

aka Mannny
If you wanna be a big name with this new service you're probably too late but this might be a second coming for a lot of up and comers

Oh god, I hope this doesn't get youtube blocked at work.

Twitch already got blocked and if Youtube goes with it I'll go insane.

jediyoshi

So are gaming videos not on regular YouTube anymore?

Judging by the app, there's no actual distinction between where the channels/videos live, it's more of an expanded filtering system for specific games.

^^^^^twitch already has that and mutes auto for giant chunks when dedected.

That's up to the amount of time the content itself is played. Twitch video archive bits are up in 1-2 minute chunks, audio muted for longer than that means they were playing a longer song.

Jams775

So can anyone tell me if the YT setup is going to be similar to Twitch in that there is going to be a bunch of garbage on the screen and too much chat interaction with dumb faces of things I don't understand?

It may sound dumb but I just really want a more mature and professional experience while watching streams. I've always enjoyed watching people play games even before the internet, but I just don't really like how most streams are set up.

It's not really about whether one "wins" over the other. The important thing is for Twitch to have some actual competition in this space to keep the service from getting worse for users.

PREACH
highfive.gif

So can anyone tell me if the YT setup is going to be similar to Twitch in that there is going to be a bunch of garbage on the screen and too much chat interaction with dumb faces of things I don't understand?

It may sound dumb but I just really want a more mature and professional experience while watching streams. I've always enjoyed watching people play games even before the internet, but I just don't really like how most streams are set up.

Watch streamers with no viewers. they are much less likely to shit up your precious screen space.

Sou Da

They can't control how professional a stream looks.

Qassim

It's not a setup by Twitch, it's just how streamers want their stream to be. It's proven to be popular so it'll follow over to YouTube.

gai_shain

Thats up to the streamer

Top Bottom