• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Will there be OS X support? How will this work? An app you install? Eventually I'll have a gaming PC but right now all my gaming is on OS X. Even my Windows gaming in a VM. I'd expect it'd be cheaper on CPU time if I have the streaming tool running on OS X while streaming the Windows VM until I get a machine meant for PC gaming.

Will it stream whatever's on your screen like the Twitch apps do or will it require and only capture a game window.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So can anyone tell me if the YT setup is going to be similar to Twitch in that there is going to be a bunch of garbage on the screen and too much chat interaction with dumb faces of things I don't understand?

It may sound dumb but I just really want a more mature and professional experience while watching streams. I've always enjoyed watching people play games even before the internet, but I just don't really like how most streams are set up.

As far as I can tell, vanilla Twitch setup is pretty clean and exactly the same as Youtube streaming. Basically, you have a streaming software such as OBS that allows you to broadcast whatever videos on your monitor. However, Twitch does have third-party plugins such as TwitchAlert. That's the plugin that allows streamers to stream twitch chat on their own monitor, for example. Also, it is also the thing that plays sound effect and whatever when they got a donation/subscriber. Check out Youtube streamers and you should see that none of them have such features, haha. However, you should also see plenty of twitch streamers who also don't use any of those TwitchAlert features and remain pretty clean.

gai_shain

Will there be OS X support? How will this work? An app you install? Eventually I'll have a gaming PC but right now all my gaming is on OS X. Even my Windows gaming in a VM. I'd expect it'd be cheaper on CPU time if I have the streaming tool running on OS X while streaming the Windows VM until I get a machine meant for PC gaming.

Will it stream whatever's on your screen like the Twitch apps do or will it require and only capture a game window.

Well you can do it whatever way you like with OBS for example

weevles

YT has a huge built-in audience, reach and brand, this should make Twitch plenty concerned and hopefully will yield positive results all around.

TalonJH

Tested out the new streaming. I really like it. I'm moving as long as they are open to chat bots and allow us to figure out a way to set alerts in the near future.

StoopKid

Judging by the app, there's no actual distinction between where the channels/videos live, it's more of an expanded filtering system for specific games.

That's up to the amount of time the content itself is played. Twitch video archive bits are up in 1-2 minute chunks, audio muted for longer than that means they were playing a longer song.

Nice thanks

TalonJH

The app is for viewing. You continue to use OBS as you used it for Twitch to stream.

What do you use to stream to YouTube? The standard streaming programs like OBS and XSplit?
I test both OBS and XSplit. They both work. Same setup with a stream key.

BiggNife

To everyone saying "twitch streamers have partnerships, they won't switch:"

Do you honestly think that Youtube isn't going to offer partnerships as well with a competitive rate? YT has money to throw around. I'm sure if the price is right, major streamers would be more than willing to change partners.

You can't compare youtube to own3d/hitbox. Everyone and their grandma already has a YT account so you're not asking people to get involved in a new ecosystem, and 99.9% of Twitch streamers also have big youtube followings because that's where all of the archives are posted. Wouldn't it make sense to have streams and archives in one spot?

I think YT has a real chance of being a worthy competitor if they play their cards right. And I hope they are, because competition is good - Twitch has clearly gotten sloppy since they've been dominating the streaming space so hopefully the threat of YT actually leads to changes Twitch users have been asking for years like an archive player that isn't garbage.

So OBS fully supports this already, and everything?

Shit, I got the day off of work tomorrow, and I want to replay a game. I think I'll play something that my PC runs with a solid amount of overhead so I don't have to bust out a second PC to stream, and fuck around with this new streaming platform a bit.

Alien: Isolation?
Dishonored?
Shadow of Mordor?
Super Mario Galaxy 2?

hmmm....

(I'll probably say 'fuck it' and play Arma 3 instead like I do every time I'm thinking about replaying something else)

Dali

Twitch is shit quality streaming with a horrendous mobile design. I always struggle to navigate twitch on my phone.

Accoun

Twitch has yet to make a real Android TV app

Have you tried Vortex? Unless you're talking purely first-party. It's not perfect, nor has it all of the site's features (like no VODs), but for live watching it's pretty good.

Never heard of this, most big streamers post their stuff to youtube, or atleast the stuff they think is good for a video

AFAIK Twitch forbids their partners from uploading VODs to other sites for the first 24 hours. That's probably all.

Jams775

As far as I can tell, vanilla Twitch setup is pretty clean and exactly the same as Youtube streaming. Basically, you have a streaming software such as OBS that allows you to broadcast whatever videos on your monitor. However, Twitch does have third-party plugins such as TwitchAlert. That's the plugin that allows streamers to stream twitch chat on their own monitor, for example. Also, it is also the thing that plays sound effect and whatever when they got a donation/subscriber. Check out Youtube streamers and you should see that none of them have such features, haha. However, you should also see plenty of twitch streamers who also don't use any of those TwitchAlert features and remain pretty clean.

So is Youtube planning on any of those features? I think that Twitch alert sound has to be the worst.

Yeah, I guess I'm more bummed out about what the "standard" setup is for a channel. It'd be cool if YT could implement a feature that if streamers and viewer wanted all that crap on screen -- that it was a separate layer that could be hidden or disabled if you didn't want to see it.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I guess I'm just more of a fan of non live streams and how gaming channels on YT are normally like. I'm going to keep an eye on the new YT streaming service though.

NetMapel

So OBS fully supports this already, and everything?

Shit, I got the day off of work tomorrow, and I want to replay a game. I think I'll play something that my PC runs with a solid amount of overhead so I don't have to bust out a second PC to stream, and fuck around with this new streaming platform a bit.

Alien: Isolation?
Dishonored?
Shadow of Mordor?
Super Mario Galaxy 2?

hmmm....

(I'll probably say 'fuck it' and play Arma 3 instead like I do every time I'm thinking about replaying something else)

I'm sure OBS supports it because it should theoretically be the same as you streaming live on Youtube as usual. They got this new Live Stream BETA which I'm sure is something they're getting ready for Youtube Gaming. I use OBS and I don't even have to change the server/stream key anymore every time I stream on Youtube.

jediyoshi

So is Youtube planning on any of those features? I think that Twitch alert sound has to be the worst.

You're missing the bigger point, none of these 'features' are inherent to twitch or any service. All the bells and whistles are purely from what a specific broadcaster is putting out, what these services provide as far as what you're seeing is just a means to broadcast a video stream, nothing is done to it in post through the service.

Twitch is shit quality streaming with a horrendous mobile design. I always struggle to navigate twitch on my phone.

Then if the current youtube gaming app is any indication, you should stay away as well. Worse filtering, no background playing, less streaming options.

gai_shain

Have you tried Vortex? Unless you're talking purely first-party. It's not perfect, nor has it all of the site's features (like no VODs), but for live watching it's pretty good.

AFAIK Twitch forbids their partners from uploading VODs to other sites for the first 24 hours.

You got any source on that? Ive seen plenty of speedrunners that are also partners upload world record runs or very good runs to youtube after they are done streaming.
They also seem to be having a youtube exporter, atleast they mention it in a blog post from 1 year ago

TalonJH

Yeah, I guess I'm more bummed out about what the "standard" setup is for a channel. It'd be cool if YT could implement a feature that if streamers and viewer wanted all that crap on screen -- that it was a separate layer that could be hidden or disabled if you didn't want to see it.

Well, the streamer is adding the overlay locally in their streaming software, encoding everything together and then sending it to Twitch. They would have to start offering overlay services themselves(not a 3rd party like TwitchAlerts) or allow the streamer to send two separate streams one of just the overlay and lay them on top. I still don't understand why Twitch doesn't just let you upload your overlay.

NetMapel

Edit: Now that I think about it, I guess I'm just more of a fan of non live streams and how gaming channels on YT are normally like. I'm going to keep an eye on the new YT streaming service though.

Unfortunately those are all third party plugins that these streamers use. What they show on their own monitor and stream is outside of twitch's control. Maybe Youtube won't allow for third party plugins, maybe they will. If they do though, I guarantee that you'll start seeing all these crazy stuff happening on Youtube as well. The streamers will put those on themselves. For example, when I stream, I just have my game on and that's it. Maybe I'll put up a death counter for my upcoming Metal Gear Solid V playthrough, but that's it. Another streamer might have their face cam, subscriber/donation alert and all that, but that's something they put in themselves, not twitch's feature.

I'm sure OBS supports it because it should theoretically be the same as you streaming live on Youtube as usual. They got this new Live Stream BETA which I'm sure is something they're getting ready for Youtube Gaming. I use OBS and I don't even have to change the server/stream key anymore every time I stream on Youtube.

Somehow I forgot that Youtube streaming is already a thing. LMAO. I've only ever fucked with Twitch when it comes to streaming.

Exile20

I want to start streaming on yt. Hope that they help promote smaller streamers and not just the ones with millions of subs.

This is a good time to be almost on a equal footing with other streamers.

Twitch is pretty much set and it is hard to break out.

Haunted

How successful Youtube is in this space is going to be directly proportional to how many of the big names on Twitch they can either co-opt, or just outright poach.

It doesn't matter if Youtube offers the better infrastructure and bigger brand for the thousands of no-name streamers with virtually no views - they need to get the 50+ people and organisations that command the lion's share of the viewership on Twitch.

They need to get LCS and the lol streamers. They need to get Valve onboard for Dota 2/CS:GO majors and the players of these games. Where's Dreamhack going to end up? Where the speedrunning community? On which platform will EVO be streamed next year? On the tier after these super heavy hitters are the handful of big variety streamers, but these are the questions that will make or break YT's success.

edit: for the big streaming personalities, it'll also be important what they can actually monetize with YT's ruleset. If YT introduces additional hassle to that aspect of gaming content, I can see that being a problem.

Heigic

I don't think many if any of the popular streamers will move. They make enough money streaming on Twitch I'm not sure why they would risk it. That and I don't really see the incentive to move. if you are a smaller streaming to 1-3k people then sure maybe it's worth taking the risk.

NetMapel

How successful Youtube is in this space is going to be directly proportional to how many of the big names on Twitch they can either co-opt, or just outright poach.

It doesn't matter if Youtube offers the better infrastructure and bigger brand for the thousands of no-name streamers with virtually no views - they need to get the 50+ people and organisations that command the lion's share of the viewership on Twitch.

They need to get LCS and the lol streamers. They need to get Valve onboard for Dota 2/CS:GO majors and the players of these games. Where's Dreamhack going to end up? Where the speedrunning community? On which platform will EVO be streamed next year? On the tier after these super heavy hitters are the handful of big variety streamers, but these are the questions that will make or break YT's success.

edit: for the big streaming personalities, it'll also be important what they can actually monetize with YT's ruleset. If YT introduces additional hassle to that aspect of gaming content, I can see that being a problem.

Yeah those are all good stuff. They need to get EVO , ESL and Dreamhacks streaming on there. Most importantly, they need to focus on games that could potentially be the next big esport hits. Currently, it's all these MOBA games, but that might not be the case in the future. So far there are some very fresh and exciting new entrants of different variety such as Overwatch, Rocket League and Splatoon, for example. Youtube Gaming should need to contact the big names/groups that play those games now and sign them up with a contract. This could be the rebirth of game streaming so some shakeup might happen. Get Pewdiepie to help in marketing/commercials if they can. Get Geek & Sundry group too. They have the infrastructure to challenge twitch if they play it right.

Palingenesis

Neo Member
I'd say they got rekt on twitter:
WQCGRXH.png

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All this talk about getting "established" streamers. As if this streaming community isn't something that just blew in with the wind 3 years ago. You already have people searching for games on YouTube, and if streamers show up, they'll get views.

Nothing is set in stone in this arena.

YouTube's automated copyright enforcer, Content ID, is always a hot button issue for YouTube's creators. On YouTube Gaming, the system will be active, in real time, on livestreams. If copyrighted content is detected during a live stream, the dashboard will show a warning, and streamers will have a set time period to stop the music. If users ignore the warning, the stream will be blocked until the system detects the copyrighted content has stopped.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...e-gaming-google-built-itself-a-twitch-killer/

I wonder how this will work out.

Can someone explain how this will affect a current YouTube channel that posts gaming related videos?

Will people still find my game related videos on regular YouTube?

Can I still post gaming related videos on regular YouTube?

Will my current channel on regular YouTube be the same account/channel as Gaming Youtube, or will I have to make a completely different channel?

Valkrai

"YouTube's automated copyright enforcer, Content ID, is always a hot button issue for YouTube's creators. On YouTube Gaming, the system will be active, in real time, on livestreams. If copyrighted content is detected during a live stream, the dashboard will show a warning, and streamers will have a set time period to stop the music. If users ignore the warning, the stream will be blocked until the system detects the copyrighted content has stopped."

I wonder how this will work out.

I'm already out because of that. That sounds horrific for streaming, especially since it can be abused so heavily as it is.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a feeling this is going to be terrible in a few ways. I've noticed in the last few weeks YouTube has REALLY stepped up their gaming copyright matches, me and various people who do gaming videos have been getting struck real hard by sudden surge of YouTube copyright matches for game music. I feel because of this YouTube Gaming thing, they've added a lot more games into their system or are surging it, because I can tell you now,excluding the last month, I had gotten something like 20 copyright matches in the last year excluding the last month, but this last month along I've been hit with something like over 100 copyright matches, and I've only heard the same thing from everyone I know who does active YouTube gaming channels.

They also literally added yesterday this message when you debate copyright matched gaming videos:
b12b2077828ff072d4125e613bb775bb.png

Just looking at the overall UI, it seems like Youtube has Twitch beat. Youtube's UI looks more modern and elegant compared to Twitch.

If Twitch can respond quickly, implement HTML5 and lighten that god-awful chat delay, Twitch will become more enticing to use.

As others have mentioned, Twitch is the status-quo at the moment, and it will take alot for Youtube to convince gamers to switch to their primary as their primary means of streaming

I am just voicing my opinions as a gaming viewer, not a streamer. So take that with what you will.

Their iOS app is actually quite fantastic IMHO. Way easier to browse than using their mobile site.

Don't know if you are talking about their mobile site or the apps...

Nzyme32

I'm really hoping Twitch can step their game up and both of them can keep competing with each other on the services they provide, so we'll end up with lots of improvements

I'd say they got rekt on twitter:
WQCGRXH.png

Yeah this is one of my favourite Tweet responses. Perfectly executed and suited to Twitch!

They also literally added yesterday this message when you debate copyright matched gaming videos:
b12b2077828ff072d4125e613bb775bb.png

I think one of the big factors for which service proves more popular, will be related to loosely they can handle copyright issues and takedowns.

Karak

Can someone explain how this will affect a current YouTube channel that posts gaming related videos?

Will people still find my game related videos on regular YouTube?

Can I still post gaming related videos on regular YouTube?

Will my current channel on regular YouTube be the same account/channel as Gaming Youtube, or will I have to make a completely different channel?

Same channel same steps. As for impact. That is a huge question mark.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm really hoping Twitch can step their game up and both of them can keep competing with each other on the services they provide, so we'll end up with lots of improvements

Yeah this is one of my favourite Tweet responses. Perfectly executed and suited to Twitch!

I think one of the big factors for which service proves more popular, will be related to loosely they can handle copyright issues and takedowns.

We can hope. I don't want to have my email box look like this a few times a week anymore:

866137e8b7c4297c1daa864a362d4b49.png

^Literally my email box from this morning, and I could pull various examples of this from various days this last month. Having to go through the process of counter-claiming each one is super tedious.

The worst part is when videos that I already got the claim released gets re-claimed and I dispute and the company let's it go again. That's been happening, along with complete BS claims recently along with legitimate ones, and some companies are mass releasing copyright claims to their games, but others are so slooooow about it.

Nothing is worse than twitch chat
Again, Just because you don't like the way someone's Twitch chat is run, does not mean that Twitch chat in general is bad.
In fact, Twitch chat is highly customization as it's just an IRC client.
Secondly, If you get 10,000 people talking at once, you're gonna have issues anyways.

Top Bottom