• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
GIVE IT TO STEAM, NINTENDO!

Of course, that'll never happen.
EA and Nintendo are too tight right now.
Not that Origin is a bad service, but I mean, Steam has the best deals.

H_Prestige said:
This better not mean Nintendo won't have their own online store where they sell all Wii U games. Because that's the way it should be.

No way Nintendo would want to go through EA to get their own games out there.
It would likely be a hybrid type store, though. There there's like an Origin and an eShop on the same channel.

bgassassin said:
Credit to Conker3000 on IGN boards for the find.

http://wiiugo.com/exclusive-ea-origin-to-be-a-key-element-of-nintendos-online-strategy/

Exclusive: EA Origin to be a key element of Nintendo’s online strategy?

If true then someone needs to tell Nintendo to not let EA abuse that partnership.

Get Valve on the phone, NOW, Nintendo. Origin is okay for EA's support, but don't let them abuse the partnership. Steam would be a real advantage, and is generally better than EA's service.

[Nintex]

bgassassin said:
Credit to Conker3000 on IGN boards for the find.

http://wiiugo.com/exclusive-ea-origin-to-be-a-key-element-of-nintendos-online-strategy/

Exclusive: EA Origin to be a key element of Nintendo’s online strategy?

If true then someone needs to tell Nintendo to not let EA abuse that partnership.
I think we came to this conclusion after E3 2011. Wii U is going to be the wild west of online systems and gameplay. You'll have Ubiplay accounts, Origin accounts, Nintendo WiFi friendcodes and more. I don't think there's going to be a standard it's going to be a clusterfuck since Nintendo isn't developing their own version of 'Xbox Live'. Pretty much why whenever online is brought up the third parties say: "Ask Nintendo" and Nintendo says: "Ask the third parties".

[Nintex] said:
I think we came to this conclusion after E3 2011. Wii U is going to be the wild west of online systems and gameplay. You'll have Ubiplay accounts, Origin accounts, Nintendo WiFi friendcodes and more. I don't think there's going to be a standard it's going to be a clusterfuck since Nintendo isn't developing their own version of 'Xbox Live'.

Eh? This is just for digital distribution for games.
It's nothing about how you play games online...

Suzzopher said:
What's stopping having both Steam and Origin on the platform?

EA having bigger franchises.

[Nintex] said:
I think we came to this conclusion after E3 2011. Wii U is going to be the wild west of online systems and gameplay. You'll have Ubiplay accounts, Origin accounts, Nintendo WiFi friendcodes and more. I don't think there's going to be a standard it's going to be a clusterfuck since Nintendo isn't developing their own version of 'Xbox Live'.

Some came to that conclusion, but like the post I made about it I don't see that happening.

Suzzopher said:

EA seems to be the problem.

[Nintex]

Suzzopher said:
You'll have Origin, Steam, SegaNet, Nintendo Online, Ubi Play, Activision Online and whatever barebones friendcode-based netcode or eShop Nintendo poops out.

AceBandage said:
GIVE IT TO STEAM, NINTENDO!

Of course, that'll never happen.
EA and Nintendo are too tight right now.
Not that Origin is a bad service, but I mean, Steam has the best deals.

No way Nintendo would want to go through EA to get their own games out there.
It would likely be a hybrid type store, though. There there's like an Origin and an eShop on the same channel.
I mean the eShop should be their version of Xbox marketplace or PSN store, where the user buys and downloads everything from. It sounds like you might have to log into Origin for EA stuff, Steam for Valve stuff, etc. Nobody tolerates that kind of fragmentation.

H_Prestige said:
I mean the eShop should be their version of Xbox marketplace or PSN store, where the user buys and downloads everything from. It sounds like you might have to log into Origin for EA stuff, Steam for Valve stuff, etc. Nobody tolerates that kind of fragmentation.

They can always set it up to where one account accesses all of them.

[Nintex]

H_Prestige said:
Case in point, Nintendo's own stuff is already fragmented across systems and on systems. The Wii shop is different from the 3DS one. If I want the Nintendo Videos I need to open some sort of other app to download and view them. Mark my words It's just going to be one giant clusterfuck of systems and services.

In fact in the case of Nintendo the online experience is different from go to game. Mario Kart 7 gets some sort of seperate 'Mario Kart Channel' as an online interface.

[Nintex] said:
Case in point, Nintendo's own stuff is already fragmented across systems and on systems. The Wii shop is different from the 3DS one. If I want the Nintendo Videos I need to open some sort of other app to download and view them. Mark my words It's just going to be one giant clusterfuck of systems and services.

I disagree. That was the whole point of Nintendo getting help on it in the first place.

[Nintex] said:

Err, you can also download videos from the eShop...
Nintendo Video is just a service for short little videos that download automatically.
It's actually quite convenient...

[Nintex]

AceBandage said:
Err, you can also download videos from the eShop...
Nintendo Video is just a service for short little videos that download automatically.
It's actually quite convenient...
If you've never visited youtube I guess it is...

But just look at Mario Kart 7 which seems to be a decent online system. Is that going to be the standard from now on? Nope, it's just for Mario Kart 7.

[Nintex] said:
If you've never visited youtube I guess it is...

But just look at Mario Kart 7 which seems to be a decent online system. Is that going to be the standard from now on? Nope, it's just for Mario Kart 7.

What does YouTube have to do with anything? This isn't YouTube. Nintendo Video is a showcase of videos, not a giant clusterfuck of anything and everything that some idiot wants to put on the service.

bgassassin said:
I must be on Nintex's ignore list or something.

I wouldn't doubt it.

Chopper

Bear said:
It also has a gyroscope, IR, microphone, battery and Bluetooth. It's by far the most sophisticated standard controller in a market where the standard price is $50. A Wiimote and Nunchuck together cost $60 and have around half the inputs, no screen and no rechargeable battery.
Exactly. I think many are underestimating the cost.

[Nintex]

bgassassin said:
I must be on Nintex's ignore list or something.

bgassassin said:
I disagree. That was the whole point of Nintendo getting help on it in the first place.

Why do you think Riccitiello was there at E3? EA has been pimpin' Origin all over the place. Ubisoft kinda confirmed Nintendo's online approach too when they talked about Ghost Recon Online. All publishers will probably have their own type of online network/play/distribution because Nintendo knows they're not good at making online systems. EA also isn't going to help for example Activision, by allowing them to use the Origin interface for Call of Duty on the Wii U or something.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EA being a key partner in developing the Wü's online capabilities is pretty much a given now. I, for one, believe this rumor. EA wanting to push Origin in the console space would make a lot of sense, Occam's razor et al.

[Nintex] said:
I think we came to this conclusion after E3 2011. Wii U is going to be the wild west of online systems and gameplay. You'll have Ubiplay accounts, Origin accounts, Nintendo WiFi friendcodes and more. I don't think there's going to be a standard it's going to be a clusterfuck since Nintendo isn't developing their own version of 'Xbox Live'. Pretty much why whenever online is brought up the third parties say: "Ask Nintendo" and Nintendo says: "Ask the third parties".
Freedom for third parties to use their online services doesn't imply a lack of a centralized one. See Portal 2 using Steamworks on PS3.

[Nintex] said:
Why do you think Riccitiello was there at E3? EA has been pimpin' Origin all over the place. Ubisoft kinda confirmed Nintendo's online approach too when they talked about Ghost Recon Online. All publishers will probably have their own type of online network/play/distribution because Nintendo knows they're not good at making online systems. EA also isn't going to help for example Activision, by allowing them to use the Origin interface for Call of Duty on the Wii U or something.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433024

But like I said I still stand by my post about this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29416808&postcount=2659

EDIT: And obviously I'm not on your ignore list since you quoted the post with the article, I just wanted you to respond. :p

I figured Nintendo would just do their own eShop for Wii U, but actually thinking about it allowing 3rd party stores (Origin, Steam, etc) could be a huge competitive advantage for them versus XBL and PSN, and a great way to get western publishers more fully onboard. Maybe it could also lead to opportunites in the other direction? Something like Virtual Console on Steam, Origin, etc, could be pretty exciting?

lunchwithyuzo said:
I figured Nintendo would just do their own eShop for Wii U, but actually thinking about it allowing 3rd party stores (Origin, Steam, etc) could be a huge competitive advantage for them versus XBL and PSN, and a great way to get western publishers more fully onboard. Maybe it could also lead to opportunites in the other direction? Something like Virtual Console on Steam, Origin, etc, could be pretty exciting?

I can't see this happening any time soon.
Nintendo not having full control over their games is just... unthinkable.

Luckyman

Banned
People actually think this is starting a new generation? NO its just joining this generation.

Its not designed to compete with any upcoming consoles specs wise. Its all about the controller with very affordable specs. They like to charge heavy premium too if they can

Djamb3

Just imagining steam into WiiU... Buy once, play everywhere. And plenty of games at launch. Please do it nintendo. Console of the forever indeed

BurntPork

Banned
[Nintex] said:
So, as far as you're concerned, there's no room for doubt?

BurntPork said:
So, as far as you're concerned, there's no room for doubt?

Of course not.
It's Nintendo so of course they'll fuck everything up. They never learn from their mistakes, after all.
This was sarcasm for those of you who don't get it.

AceBandage said:
Of course not.
It's Nintendo so of course they'll fuck everything up. They never learn from their mistakes, after all.
This was sarcasm for those of you who don't get it.

Quit trol...

*highlights spoiler*

Oh ok, you're good.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Luckyman said:
People actually think this is starting a new generation? NO its just joining this generation.

Its not designed to compete with any upcoming consoles specs wise. Its all about the controller with very affordable specs. They like to charge heavy premium too if they can
Somebody give this man a badge or something.

Donnie

Chopper said:
Whilst sort of under NDA, I spoke to someone within a major games pulisher here in the UK recently who has spent plenty of time with the Wii U hardware, and they are less than impressed. As a Nintendo fan, I was disappointed to hear him say that the machine is under-powered compared to the impending competition

Any chance of getting any specifc info? Not asking for specs since that's never going to happen, but just anything specifc. I mean no offence but its obvious that WiiU would be less powerful than the next XBox (not sure why that would surprise or disappoint anyone). But how powerful is it compared to something we can quantify, like 360 or PS3?

AceBandage said:
I can't see this happening any time soon.
Nintendo not having full control over their games is just... unthinkable.
Who says they wouldn't? If it happened it'd be a dedicated store within the Steam platform, similar to a dedicated Steam store within the Wii U platform.

I'm not sure how likely either are really, though they're exciting possibilities to speculate on.

blu said:
Somebody give this man a badge or something.

4422024747_7bff0874cc_o.jpg

H_Prestige said:
What do you mean by this?

No matter whose Wii U you play on you can play the game.

Deguello

IS his name Lucky and he's a Larry Leprechaun?

Anyway, if Nintendo does go piecemeal quiltpatch with their online network I think it might end up saving money for the gamer who can then pick and choose which services from which megapublishers he wants instead of paying a flat fee to the console manufacturer and then whatever fees third parties want to stack on top.

Boney

Banned
I'm just gonna leave this here so we can all get a jolly good laugh

Originally Posted by BurntPork:
We're talking about sales, and GameCube was a commercial flop. If the DreamCast weren't killed off, even that would have beat the GameCube.

KingJ2002

I honestly think that... Nintendo thinks console gaming has moved on from having graphics define generational gaps... but rather significant "evolutions / revolutions" in gameplay define the leap.

if you look at the NES to the Wii... it's clear how they took all of the strengths of the previous controller... and added motion control to make games more immersive... now adding a screen to the controller itself is something that will truly be a test.

in a way... you could say Microsoft & Sony finally caught up with "this generation" with Kinect & Move considering the Wii blew the competition out of the water with "last gen graphics"

but i hope that Nintendo's Re-Unveiling might provide a nice spec bump to allow developers to really get out their ideas and creativity, non-gaming app support, as well as a better online interface and enhanced storefront.

Xbox Live set the bar really high and Nintendo needs to catch up with the core features at least.

DCKing

Here's what Reggie said before about the online:
Reggie said:
For Wii U, we’re going to take that one step further, and what we’re doing is creating a much more flexible system that will allow the best approaches by independent publishers to come to bear. So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we’re going to welcome that. We’re going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers.Source
I really want to interpret all this as that they're basically allowing Origin on the Wii U (and its probably their first partner), but there is absolutely nothing against Steam on the Wii U as well.

BurntPork

Banned
Boney said:
I'm just gonna leave this here so we can all get a jolly good laugh

Originally Posted by BurntPork:
We're talking about sales, and GameCube was a commercial flop. If the DreamCast weren't killed off, even that would have beat the GameCube.
You guys try to drive me nuts, don't you?

Djamb3 said:
Buy a game in your pc, play it in any pc, or any mac or any wii u. What could we be asking more?

The PC/Mac part wouldn't happen.

DCKing said:

I really want to interpret all this as that they're basically allowing Origin on the Wii U (and its probably their first partner), but there is absolutely nothing against Steam on the Wii U as well.

That's only a small part of the picture.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29416808&postcount=2659

AzaK

DCKing said:

Things can change of course, but yeah that's what I felt. If they can make sure that this can happen seamlessly it could be great. I think confusing the average consumer with multiple logins and menu choices for services etc would be a nightmare. They needed a single log on from the users point of view. If its then goes to the back end of 10 different services and authenticates you and then Aggregates their content into a uniform looking store, I don't care.

That too has its problems but less than confusing the hell out of users.

Game Guru

H_Prestige said:
So what did the n64 and gamecube show? This has never been true. All that was shown this gen was that their is an upper limit to how much you can charge for a console and expect to sell it.

Yeah, and that upper limit is $300 at launch. Remember that the lowest priced Xbox 360 at launch was $300 as well. Even the PS1, PS2, and Xbox launched at $300. I would suspect the upper limit for a dedicated handheld would be $200, but I cannot know this for sure until we see Vita's performance.

H_Prestige said:

Isn't PC that fragmented as well? Wouldn't having competing stores on the same system mean lower prices for games in the digital realm as well? Xbox Live is an awesome system, don't get me wrong, but even Sony has trouble copying Microsoft in that regard. Xbox Live is practically the Xbox line's selling point. Maybe Nintendo thinks a different direction is in order. Either way, this is EA. If they want Origin on all three consoles, they are either going to get it or drop online support of said console even on the Next Xbox.

DCKing

AzaK said:
That too has its problems but less than confusing the hell out of users.
I imagine Origin, Steam and the Nintendo store will be different channels, all with a seamless "Nintendo login" or something.

BurntPork

Banned
Game Guru said:
Yeah, and that upper limit is $300 at launch. Remember that the lowest priced Xbox 360 at launch was $300 as well. Even the PS1, PS2, and Xbox launched at $300. I would suspect the upper limit for a dedicated handheld would be $200, but I cannot know this for sure until we see Vita's performance.

Isn't PC that fragmented as well? Wouldn't having competing stores on the same system mean lower prices for games in the digital realm as well? Xbox Live is an awesome system, don't get me wrong, but even Sony has trouble copying Microsoft in that regard. Xbox Live is practically the Xbox line's selling point. Maybe Nintendo thinks a different direction is in order. Either way, this is EA. If they want Origin on all three consoles, they are either going to get it or drop online support of said console even on the Next Xbox.
Erm, the $400 360 outsold the $300 one by a HUGE margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom