• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

unifin

psycho_snake said:
You cant compare Zidane to any other player since maradona. He has done so much. I might be a little biased since Im half algerian and Zidane is originally algerian, but Zidane has done everything, he's made it to the top and he's managed to up his game and create something special when his team needs it. He did it in 98, he did it for real madrid in the CL final and he has done it on so many occasions. He just lost it for one second. Zidane has been one of the best role models for footballers, he has always acted in the right manner, but today he just lost it. Materazzi must have said something MASSIVE. Zidane knew what was at stake, not just for france but for him, so he must have been really hurt by what was said.

What? I love Zidane, but his biggest weakness was always his temper...

LJ11

scorcho said:
you mean when he stood still and just raised his hand up?

You can spin it all you want. He made the play of the game. Very few goalies would have made the save he made.

paul777

Banned
psycho_snake said:
You cant compare Zidane to any other player since maradona. He has done so much. I might be a little biased since Im half algerian and Zidane is originally algerian, but Zidane has done everything, he's made it to the top and he's managed to up his game and create something special when his team needs it. He did it in 98, he did it for real madrid in the CL final and he has done it on so many occasions. He just lost it for one second. Zidane has been one of the best role models for footballers, he has always acted in the right manner, but today he just lost it. Materazzi must have said something MASSIVE. Zidane knew what was at stake, not just for france but for him, so he must have been really hurt by what was said.

Ronaldo did more. He won everything Zidane did (not counting 94 as a reserve) but is also now the greatest goal scorer in world cup history.

bionic77

LJ11 said:
You can spin it all you want. He made the play of the game. Very few goalies would have made the save he made.

I agree that save was ridiculous. For an example of how that is not an easy save look to see how helpless the French keeper was on the first few headers from Italy.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Hooker said:
Out of his character?! Come the **** on!!

He's amazing with the ball, but a short temper. He's always done stuff like this. Hell, he even did it this world-cup, the card he got against South Korea which earned him the suspension against Togo.

He did it at Juventus, he did it at Real. He did it at other big tournaments as well. Don't start acting like he's a ****ing saint because makes your weener hard whenever he touches the ball.

Italy won, and rightfully so! Accept it and congratulate them like a real man.
agreed! Zidane has always had a short fuse, as humble and reserved as he is.

Italy deserved to win because Trezeguet is a loser. Both teams played their hearts out, though France unquestionably were the better side from the second half till Zidane's red card.

Peru

paul777 said:
Ronaldo did more. He won everything Zidane did (not counting 94 as a reserve) but is also now the greatest goal scorer in world cup history.
Because of the team.. this cup he's been nothing, even the match he scored twice in. He's simply been a well-placed head.. Zidane has done so much more for the team, offense, defense, tempo, drive...

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Naked Snake said:
Zidane shouldn't have lost it, that was stupid.

:(
you're right, football players should be able to keep their cool, especially when whats at stake is so high, but football players are humans and they have feelings. There are somethings that when said to you, you cant help but get revenge.

Im on Zidane's side in a way. Whilst i think he let himsefl and his nation down, Im sure that bastard of a player materazzi said something very bad. Thats what materazzi does, he fouls people all the time and he does stuff like he did to zidane. he said something to ibrahimovich once and Ibra reaced by headbutting him too.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I agree that save was ridiculous. For an example of how that is not an easy save look to see how helpless the French keeper was on the first few headers from Italy.

Yeah Buffon was perfectly positioned for Zidanes header, thats how he made the save look easy, for an example of poor positioning, see Italys goal where Barthez had wondered off his line and left in a position where he had no chance to save the header.

cicero

Hooker said:
Out of his character?! Come the **** on!!

He's amazing with the ball, but a short temper. He's always done stuff like this. Hell, he even did it this world-cup, the card he got against South Korea which earned him the suspension against Togo.

He did it at Juventus, he did it at Real. He did it at other big tournaments as well. Don't start acting like he's a ****ing saint because makes your weener hard whenever he touches the ball.

Italy won, and rightfully so! Accept it and congratulate them like a real man.
haha Juventus! Whatta great time to be a Italian soccer fan. I'm crossing my fingers for Serie C! But knowing Italy, winning the World Cup will probably mean the scandal will be swept under the rug.

sharkie

Mr.Ressetti said:
I totally agree, I am sure the Italian player told him something in Frensh or English so Zidane would understand, because I don't think Zidane wanted to end his career like this , I am sure he insulted him real bad.

ZIDANE FTW
Zidane spent 7 years at Juventus in ITALY

psycho_snake

paul777 said:
Ronaldo is arguable. I've always said that if Ronaldo never had those two horribel knee injures, he would be the best player in the world by a mile, no onje would come close. At such a young age Ronaldo was incredible. He could run so ****ing fast and at the same time keep the ball under control so well. Its difficult to dribble so quickly and pull of all the moves, but Ronaldo did it without any effort. His goalscoring record in the world cup in an amazing feat too. Unfortunately those injures really held him back. had he not suffered those injuries, Ronaldo would have been unstoppable.

Socreges

Banned
Oh, Zizou..... :(

Deserved win by Italy, though it pains me to think what would have been if Zidane had glanced that header in ET just a little further left. No disgrace and the winning goal for France.

ronito

Stormbringer said:
"red card", "head-butt"... Whateva' . Zinedine Zidane is the true hero of the match. Period.
And if by "hero" you meant "jerk who threw away a valuable chance and let his team down." you'd be right!

Hooker

psycho_snake said:
you're right, football players should be able to keep their cool, especially when whats at stake is so high, but football players are humans and they have feelings. There are somethings that when said to you, you cant help but get revenge.

Im on Zidane's side in a way. Whilst i think he let himsefl and his nation down, Im sure that bastard of a player materazzi said something very bad. Thats what materazzi does, he fouls people all the time and he does stuff like he did to zidane. he said something to ibrahimovich once and Ibra reaced by headbutting him too.
Dude, shut up. You're pissing me off

Don't put Zidane on the pedestal as someone who can do no wrong. And you pull Zlatan up as proof why Materazzi might have provoked Zidane?! Ibrahimovic is one of the dirtier players around, just as bad as Marco.

Zidane ****ed up, no excuse. Especially not on this level of football

psycho_snake

Stormbringer said:
"red card", "head-butt"... Whateva' . Zinedine Zidane is the true hero of the match. Period.
No he wasnt. He might be a legend and a hero of so many other games, but today he let himself and his team down badly. If you asked Zidane what he thought about it Im sure he'd tell you that he feels like an idiot.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Materazzi will always be remembered as the **** who got owned by one of the greatest footballers that ever lived.

Peru

psycho_snake said:
No he wasnt. He might be a legend and a hero of so many other games, but today he let himself and his team down badly. If you asked Zidane what he thought about it Im sure he'd tell you that he feels like an idiot.
And hopefully we'll see a few well-chosen words from him soon.

psycho_snake

Hooker said:
Dude, shut up. You're pissing me off

Don't put Zidane on the pedestal as someone who can do no wrong. And you pull Zlatan up as proof why Materazzi might have provoked Zidane?! Ibrahimovic is one of the dirtier players around, just as bad as Marco.

Zidane ****ed up, no excuse. Especially not on this level of football
I'm not making Zidane sound perfect. I just said that he let himself and his team down badly, but Zidane is known for being a calm player, so materazzi must have said something very bad.

MrSardonic said:
Materazzi will always be remembered as the **** who got owned by one of the greatest footballers that ever lived.

Your avatar says it all. Zidane will forever remember how much he ****ed himself and his team for his parting game.

Also, that dive in the box was complete crap, not "clearly a foul". Are you blind? Go back and see the replays, the guy jumped it.

psycho_snake

Peru said:
And hopefully we'll see a few well-chosen words from him soon.
All Zidane can do is apologize really. He'll probably say what materazzi said that provoked him to do it, but he cant blame that for his actions. A player does need to keep their cool and he just couldnt do it.

Peru

Propagandhim said:
Your avatar says it all. Zidane will forever remember how much he ****ed himself and his team for his parting game.
No. He ****ed his career-end up, little else. It was stupid. But it happens to the best of us, provoked when we should ignore it. His name will be remembered for a legendary football artist, not this sad adieu.

jett

D-Member
MrSardonic, after skimming through your latest posts in this thread I can safely conclude that you're -this- close to slitting your wrists.

STFU already.

psycho_snake

Hooker said:
See, this is where you're wrong.

Zidane has ALWAYS been like this.
Really? Ive never seen Zidane react that way before. He may had a little go at a player, but who doesnt? Ive rarely ever seen Zidane react too badly, so something really bad must have been aid to him for him to go and lose his cool like that and go and do something so stupid, especially at a world cup final.

ronito

Peru said:
No. He ****ed his career-end up, little else. It was stupid. But it happens to the best of us, provoked when we should ignore it. His name will be remembered for a legendary football artist, not this sad adieu.
Really. Even if his remembered for being a "legendary" player, it will be "legendary player*"

*=Who happened to lose his cool and let down his team at the world cup final 2006.

Too bad he couldn't contain it for just the rest of the game. Now he's asterisked.

psycho_snake

Stormbringer said:
Whateva' ! Whateva' !Seriously, who never head-butted ? Mmh ? Come on ! It does not deserve the red card and you know it ;) .
Please tell me that Im missing the sarcasm.

psycho_snake

ronito said:
Really. Even if his remembered for being a "legendary" player, it will be "legendary player*"

*=Who happened to lose his cool and let down his team at the world cup final 2006.

Too bad he couldn't contain it for just the rest of the game. Now he's asterisked.
Funny how Maradona is remembered as the games best player even though he got sent off in his first world cup and later on took drugs and got himself suspended for 2 years.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Propagandhim said:
Then why didn't the better team win? No, really, I want to hear this. After taking a dive in the box, and triceratopsing another player, how didn't the better team win? The Italian defense kept them from scoring. They needed to fake a fall in the box to score one point. Pathetic.
And the dive got made up for when a tackle from behind in the box (deserving of a yellow card) didn't get called in the second half.

And nobody defending Italy of all teams really has any right to call another team's diving pathetic, anyway.

And that doesn't change the fact that Italy played like garbage most of the match and France played like the deserving team (until Zidane's nonsense).

psycho_snake

MetatronM said:
And that doesn't change the fact that Italy played like garbage most of the match and France played like the deserving team (until Zidane's nonsense).
Did you close your eyes for the first half or do you refuse to acknowledge that Italy were by far the better team on the first half.

This world cup will be rememebred as the worst ever. The black sheep of international sports. Its what happens when you let Italy play

Italy should have never gotten past Australia.

3rd place game > Final

RaijinFY

psycho_snake said:
Did you close your eyes for the first half or do you refuse to acknowledge that Italy were by far the better team on the first half.

Yeah but a game isnt the first half only! The second half and the prolongations, France was vastly superior to Italy.

I hate it when the cup is won on penalties, just feels wrong.

Still, Italy did OK over the whole tournament. Just a pity Zidane struck for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

So, is South Africa ready for 2010?

nitewulf

psycho_snake said:
not really, italy only played well right after the first goal, and for about 15 minutes at that. i still dont understand why france sorta gave them the chance after the first goal. they pretty much dominated the rest of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom