• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

eso76

+Aliken+ said:
Paolo Rossi maybe not.

But the other two without a doubt.

I have to admit i've never seen P. Rossi playing, i was too small and i've never been a football fan anyway. Maybe he was considered some football hero just because of the 3 goals he scored in the WC final in 82, i honestly don't know.
I've seen Rivera though, and i've seen Baggio; some of their performances are unbelievable; also, you don't really know how good Baggio was if you haven't seen him outside of the WC.

Konnjuta

Mike Works said:
No, we've only produced 4 World Cups :(

godfather.jpg

"I had nothing to do with it. You hear? Nothing."

bionic77

eso76 said:
I have to admit i've never seen P. Rossi playing, i was too small and i've never been a football fan anyway. Maybe he was considered some football hero just because of the 3 goals he scored in the WC final in 82, i honestly don't know.
I've seen Rivera though, and i've seen Baggio; some of their performances are unbelievable; also, you don't really know how good Baggio was if you haven't seen him outside of the WC.

Hey I never said Baggio was a bum or that he was overrated. I just think Zidane was better and I totally can see why someone would want to put Baggio in the same class as Zidane. I mean they are just different players and their talents lie in different directions.

I have seen that free kick video of Baggio before and he was a fantastic goal scorer to be sure, but Zidane still has better ball control (IMHO).

I feel Baggio was one of the best players ever, but I personally don't feel he is as they say, a "football genius". Not sure if that makes any sense.

+Aliken+

eso76 said:

He scored one ;)

But he's a hero because he played a blinding 1982 world cup

eso76

bionic77 said:
I have seen that free kick video of Baggio before and he was a fantastic goal scorer to be sure, but Zidane still has better ball control (IMHO).

I feel Baggio was one of the best players ever, but I personally don't feel he is as they say, a "football genius". Not sure if that makes any sense.

yes, don't worry it makes perfect sense :)
they have different strenghts, you're probably more fascinated (?) by some spectacular ball control over the ability to score on free kicks (which is the only thing that video shows, but not the only thing Baggio was amazing at btw).
I can totally understand.

Manics

Banned
+Aliken+ said:
He scored one ;)

But he's a hero because he played a blinding 1982 world cup

Rossi's legendary game came against Brazil in an all-time classic won by Italy 3-2. Of course Rossi scored all 3 Italian goals in that match and is forever remembered as an Italian hero. Back in 1982, after the first round matches the next phase was also a group stage. Italy had barely made it out of the group stages and ended up in a group with Brazil and Argentina -- top team goes through. Italy beat both teams and the legend of Rossi was cemented.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Fifa suspends both Zidane and Materazzi

Fifa has banned former French football captain Zinédine Zidane for three games for head-butting Italian defender Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final on July 9.

The disciplinary committee of soccer's governing body also suspended Materazzi for two national games after its hearing on Thursday at Fifa headquarters in Zurich.

Zidane, whose ban is academic since he hung up his boots after the final in Berlin, was also fined SFr7,500 ($6,030). Materazzi, who admitted insulting Zidane, was fined SFr5,000.

In a statement, Fifa said that since Zidane had now retired from the game, he had agreed to do three days of community service work with children and youngsters, as part of Fifa's humanitarian activities.

It said Materazzi's suspension was handed down "for repeatedly provoking Zidane".

Fifa gave both players to the right to be heard in line with its disciplinary code. The hearing with Materazzi took place on Friday last week, while Zidane was questioned on Thursday.

Not racist

In their statements to the committee, chaired by Switzerland's Marcel Mathier, both players stressed that Materazzi's comments had been defamatory but were not of a racist nature.

Both players also apologised to Fifa for their "inappropriate behaviour" and expressed their regret at the incident.

Playing in extra time in his farewell game, Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words as they walked up field. Zidane appeared to be distancing himself from the Italian but then turned, lowered his head and drove it into Materazzi's chest – knocking the player to the ground.

Zidane was sent off after the incident, and Italy went on to win the game 5-3 on penalties after the game was stalemate at 1-1 after extra time.

The Frenchman later claimed Materazzi had insulted his mother and his sister.

However, Materazzi maintained what he said was not racist, religious or political and he had not made reference to Zidane's mother.

Despite the incident, Zidane went on to win the Golden Ball for the tournament's best player and despite suggestions to the contrary, Fifa has confirmed the Frenchman will be allowed to keep the award.

Fifa spokesman Andreas Herren said the issue was not even discussed at Thursday's meeting.

swissinfo with agencies

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/social...l?siteSect=201&sid=6910683&cKey=1153407147000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom