• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manics

Banned
bionic77 said:
Btw, what happened to Forza? I thought he would have been in here demanding all kinds of ball washing after Italy won yesterday?

He's probably hung over like a bastard. I imagine he partied well into the night last night. I had to drive my wife and daughter back home safely from my mom's place last night so no late night festivities for me. :(

Manics

Banned
paul777 said:
There never was an aura of invincibility. They were favorites this cup because they had an incredible team on paper and were defending champs. Just like France were in 2002. And Brasil again in 98. Obviously being pre-tournament favorites means very little. Also, it takes something special to win in Europe as a non-european team. The only time a non-european team won in Europe was when Pele and Garrincha, the two greatest football geniuses of all time, played on the same team. At the same time though, no Euro team has ever won a Cup outside Europe. If history continues to repeat itself as it has up to now in World Cups, the next two cups will go to either Argentina or Brasil.

There's also only ever been 7 countries to win the World Cup, so who's to say? It would be refreshing to see a team outside of Europe or South America win it. I think Africa might produce such a nation.

bionic77

paul777 said:
There never was an aura of invincibility. They were favorites this cup because they had an incredible team on paper and were defending champs. Just like France were in 2002. And Brasil again in 98. Obviously being pre-tournament favorites means very little. Also, it takes something special to win in Europe as a non-european team. The only time a non-european team won in Europe was when Pele and Garrincha, the two greatest football geniuses of all time, played on the same team. At the same time though, no Euro team has ever won a Cup outside Europe. If history continues to repeat itself as it has up to now in World Cups, the next two cups will go to either Argentina or Brasil.

Eh I felt Brazil did have an aura around them for the last 12 years as being far and above the rest of the world. Maybe that was just me.

We obviously have some very different thoughts about football though after seeing who you think are hte greatest football geniuses of all time. :D

paul777

Banned
Manics said:
There's also only ever been 7 countries to win the World Cup, so who's to say? It would be refreshing to see a team outside of Europe or South America win it. I think Africa might produce such a nation.

I think the next nation to join that club will be the Netherlands. Certainly not a traditionless african team. Winning in the World Cup isn't just about a good team in good form at the right time. It's the triumph of a nation's footballing tradition and school. Once an African nation gets its own Cruyff or Platini generation then some time after that they might win something.

Okay there are supposed to be half a million people in and around the circo massimo.

ALso on the coach on the way to the airport the Italian players chanted "Marcello, resta con noi", Marcello stay with us. I hope he does guide us through the Euros..

Manics said:
I heard a different version of Materazzi's quote to the press. He said:

"It is absolutely not true, I didn't call him a terrorist, I don't know anything about that"

I think that might be the correct one. Afterall, who doesn´t know what terrorist means??

ijm72

Another hilarious gif
1e5b90df376ab8cd309658af8289e487.gif

bionic77

In one respect you have to feel good for the Italian players. They did the one and only thing that is going to make people forget about the possible punishments coming their way in league play.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
FANTASTIC

CHI NON SALTA é UN FRANCESE EH EH CHI NON SALTA é UN FRANCESE EH EH !!!!!!!!

:lol

javascript:mediacenter('http://mediacenter.corriere.it/MediaCenter/action/player?uuid=50f9c9ae-1050-11db-9111-0003ba99c667');

eso76

: \ i now started feeling sad for Zidane for no apparent reason.
he kept too calm and silent during the whole match, during all matches in fact. He didn't unload his tension once, he just bursted at last, i guess.

Comodino, sei di FI ?
Siena...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Zidane was greeted like the legend he is when he returned to France! Still, contragulations to Italy and Lippi (good guy)...it is important for the country given its current situation (even more than for the French I think). Enjoy these times guys :D

psycho_snake said:
it was ok for totti to spit at another player

not if there was no deserving provokation

psycho_snake said:
for beckham to stick his middle finger up at the crowd

yes of course

psycho_snake said:
for adriano to punch someone in the face

not if there was no deserving provokation

psycho_snake said:
for rooney to say "**** off" to the ref after every decision going against him

no

psycho_snake said:
and for cantona to kick someone in the crowd?

given what they guy said to him, I have utter sympathy with cantona...and so do most people looking back.

eso76 said:
if you really feel the need to kick someone's ass because of something he said you're just a very simple mind who isn't smart enough to think of a humiliating reply and need to resort to using the force.

if someone can't handle the consequences of their disgraceful comments then they shouldnt be saying them.

Manics said:
The lip readers might have gotten the word correct but Materazzi was probably referring to Henry when he said Zidane was brother to a bitch. :lol

why is that funny?

eso76

MrSardonic said:
if someone can't handle the consequences of their disgraceful comments then they shouldnt be saying them.

in that case the only one who couldn't handle the consequences was Zidane, though.
Materazzi definately isn't afraid of starting a fight :)
But enough about Zidane; such apparently calm persons are bound to explode sometimes, eventually. It just happened at the wrong moment and i feel sorry for him.
I'm glad he was awarded 'best player' of the WC, this episode will soon be forgotten and he'll deservingly have a bright place in the history of football.

FightyF

Banned
MaverickX9 said:
That is bullshit, too.

How did they not earn that title? Did they just lay down and die in that second half? Hell no. Their defense was pushing aside chances by France nearly every second of that second half.

Buffon's save on Zidane's header alone earned them that title.

No, that earned them a tie.

Tell me, how does a shootout determine the better TEAM?

Kroole

Fight for Freeform said:
No, that earned them a tie.

Tell me, how does a shootout determine the better TEAM?

It doesn't but what can you do?

Before shoot-outs occur (most of) the players have been playing for over 120 minutes. If you want to let the game continue after that it's more of an endurance game than real football. 90 minutes are usually enough for players gettings cramps and what not.

bionic77

Kroole said:
It doesn't but what can you do?

Before shoot-outs occur (most of) the players have been playing for over 120 minutes. If you want to let the game continue after that it's more of an endurance game than real football. 90 minutes are usually enough for players gettings cramps and what not.

Well personally I would rather it come down to endurance and heart instead of penalty kicks. I can see why some people would prefer PKs though. I just hate seeing a big game being decided that way. Imagine if a basketball game was tied at the end and it came down to a free throw shooting contest.

Of course none of this would be an issue if Italy or France would have scored another goal. Hopefully this isn't as big of a problem at the next World Cup.

Kroole

bionic77 said:
Well personally I would rather it come down to endurance and heart instead of penalty kicks. I can see why some people would prefer PKs though. I just hate seeing a big game being decided that way. Imagine if a basketball game was tied at the end and it came down to a free throw shooting contest.

Of course none of this would be an issue if Italy or France would have scored another goal. Hopefully this isn't as big of a problem at the next World Cup.

I see what you mean but on the other hand, it takes some skill as a team to nail those 5 penalties in a WC final and for a person to take on a penalty knowing that you'll either be blamed or become a hero is quite something. Talk about heart and to me that's football :)

Manics said:

Mexico in 2010. Believe.

+Aliken+

Those are the rules of the game, you can debate as much as you want about possible improvements.

Many have tried, we passed to golden goals then silver goals and at the end we're back to square one. At the end if there is a tie anyway you must decied a winner. How do you do that? on goal chance?

In 1994 we lost the world cup final on penalties and we suffered. This time we won scoring all 5.

Gets congratualate us on this victory.

ap85035411107000008_big.jpg

ap85035131107000011_big.jpg

bionic77

+Aliken+ said:
Those are the rules of the game, you can debate as much as you want about possible improvements.

Many have tried, we passed to golden goals then silver goals and at the end we're back to square one. At the end if there is a tie anyway you must decied a winner. How do you do that? on goal chance?

In 1994 we lost the world cup final on penalties and we suffered. This time we won scoring all 5.

Gets congratualate us on this victory.

I am not saying Italy didn't win or doesn't deserve congratulations I just hate the format. I did feel France was the better team, but Italy won by heart (just like Germany did against Argentina) and I always applaud that kind of effort and nerve. I simply find it a horrible way to end the game. I hated the format in 1994 when Brazil beat Italy in PKs and I continue to hate it today. You are an Italian fan so you wouldn't care no matter how Italy won. But I was watching the game in hopes of seeing great soccer and I personally feel that PKs are both boring and unsatisfying.

I am not here as an Italian hater trying to put some negative light on your victory, I just hate seeing a big match end on penalties.

and yesterday 1+ million people celebrated their champions and their vitory (of course it is a victory for ALL of us italians, not only for the players).

afp85028361007213052_big.jpg

ansa85030671007222048_big.jpg

ansa85031181007222821_big.jpg

ansa85033381007231342_big.jpg

roma.jpg

orig_C_0_fotogallery_2134_listaorizzontale_foto_0_fotoorizzontale.jpg

We italians know how to celebrate a victory!! i live in Rome and yesterday i went to this great event, i will always remember this as one of the happiest days in my life!!
GRAZIE AZZURRI PER AVERCI REGALATO QUESTI MOMENTI INDIMENTICABILI!!!Dajeeeeeeeeeeee :D :D :D

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Materazzi admits insulting Zidane, but he still says that he never said anything racial.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=373706&cc=4716

Materazzi, 32, told Gazetta dello Sport: 'I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned to me and talked to me, jeering.

'He looked at me with a huge arrogance and said, `If you really want my shirt I'll give it to you afterwards'. I replied with an insult, that's true.'

Materazzi has not elaborated on what he did say, but one report suggested he responded with: `I'd rather take the shirt off your wife'.

He has denied, however, some of the more vile insults referring to his wife or sister or calling him a terrorist.

'It was one of those insults you're told dozens of times and that you often let fall on a pitch,' Materazzi said.

'I did not call him a terrorist. I am not a cultured person and I don't even know what as Islamist terrorist is.'

He added: 'For me the mother is sacred, you know that.'

Fifa are going to investigate the situation. If something racial has been said Materazzi could find himself banned for several matches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5169342.stm

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sports threads ranking:

FWC: 245 pages
MLB: 151 pages
NHL: 26 pages
NFL: 129 pages
NBA: 24 pages

Soccer reigns supreme. SUCK IT DOWN, HATERS

Meier

ROLL WITH ITALY
WORLD CUP FINAL ITALY v FRANCE, TOMORROW, KICK-OFF 7PM

OASIS star Noel Gallagher will be Alessandro Del Piero's lucky mascot for the World Cup Final against France in Berlin.

Gallagher is friends with the Italian striker and has been asked by Del Piero to turn up to the final in exactly the same clothes he was wearing for the semi-final against Germany. The Oasis songwriter said: "Before the game we went to the hotel and Del Piero was a bit upset because he wasn't starting but he said, 'I'm going to come off the bench and score'.

"After the game he said I'd become his lucky mascot so I've got to go to the final and wear the exact same clothes to bring him good luck.

"So I'll be wearing a white T-shirt and dark blue jeans and trainers."

Gallagher, whose hits include Wonderwall and Stand By Me, was left stunned by the semi-final and added: "If I never see another game, that will do for me."

Looks like it paid off.

bionic77

psycho_snake said:
Materazzi admits insulting Zidane, but he still says that he never said anything racial.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=373706&cc=4716

Fifa are going to investigate the situation. If something racial has been said Materazzi could find himself banned for several matches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5169342.stm

I think Materazzi wouldn't mind even a one year ban if his goading helped Italy win the World Cup. No matter what he said or did he will be a hero in Italy. Most players would take that ban in a second if it meant World Cup glory. The guy can just stay in the Italian leagues for life and he doesn't have to worry about the consequences.

Manics

Banned
bionic77 said:
I think Materazzi wouldn't mind even a one year ban if his goading helped Italy win the World Cup. No matter what he said or did he will be a hero in Italy. Most players would take that ban in a second if it meant World Cup glory. The guy can just stay in the Italian leagues for life and he doesn't have to worry about the consequences.

Materazzi is an all-time Italian hero now up there with the likes of Paolo Rossi. Guy can walk down the streets in Italy and be treated like a king.

_41873388_materazzi203x270.jpg

psycho_snake

Manics said:
Materazzi is an all-time Italian hero now up there with the likes of Paolo Rossi. Guy can walk down the streets in Italy and be treated like a king.

He doesnt deserve it. Sure he may have scored 2 goals and he was an important part of the team, but he's a dirty son of a bithc who lacks respect to others.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Manics said:

:lol the guy is nothing more than a bog-standard player with a poor reputation. There are more worthy players in your team that deserve true respect.

Manics

Banned
MrSardonic said:
:lol the guy is nothing more than a bog-standard player with a poor reputation. There are more worthy players in your team that deserve true respect.

He replaced Nesta which everyone thought would be the downfall of Italy, scored 2 huge goals for Italy and caused Zidane to get red-carded. That's a hero's performance and he's known as a huge factor in Italy's world championship.

psycho_snake

Manics said:
He replaced Nesta which everyone thought would be the downfall of Italy, scored 2 huge goals for Italy and caused Zidane to get red-carded. That's a hero's performance and he's known as a huge factor in Italy's world championship.
He played well, there is no doubting that. I think he surpassed everyone's expectations and emerged as one of Italy's best performers. That doesnt make him a good sportsman though. I'll hold my judgement on him until we find out what he really said. If it was just a normal jibe, then he shouldnt be labelled as a bad person becasue it happenbs all the time, but if he did say something racial than he is a bastard.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Manics said:

Provoking Zidane and getting him a red card makes him a hero? Wow. I guess I look at the wrong things when quantifying soccer greatness.

psycho_snake

Slurpy said:
Provoking Zidane and getting him a red card makes him a hero? Wow. I guess I look at the wrong things when quantifying soccer greatness.
Yes you are. I dont like him at all but I can understand why Italians consider hima hero. To everyone outside of italians he's a dirty player, but to Italians he is a national hero because he scored 2 goals in the tournament and won the world cup. If that isnt enough to make someone a national hero then i dont know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom