• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I called it last night when I quoted the Italia '90 Final from Wikipedia.

Tonight we got:
A penalty kick off a non-existent foul - Check
A red card near the end of the game - Check
An unsatisfying conclusion to cap off the game/tournament - Check

This is definitely one of the bottom-dwellers of all the World Cups. Too many cards, too much diving, not enough goals, under-whelming performances from the big matchups, and too many games decided by PKs.

I think they should eliminate PKs from the semi and final rounds of the world cup. Instead, keep playing 15 minute halfs until there's a winner. With each new half of extra time, each team gets 2-3 new subs. Basically allow teams to use almost heir whole bench during the overtime phases, so the game doesn't drag too much. Whoever has the deepest bench and the most heart, wins. I'd rather see that instead of PKs, especially for the Final. There's no tomorrow so who cares if the players are dead tired.

As for Zidane.... I can't say anything more which hasn't already been said. He basically had a story book ending on a platter and he screwed it (and his team) up.

I feel sorry for Zidane, but I don't feel like he ruined France's chances. Anything can happen in a PK...Italy deserved to win.

^ that last part feels so wrong to type.

nitewulf

yeah, zidane didn't really cost them the game, there was about 4 minutes left...but he basically put a blemish in his really great career. i just hope ppl overlook this and remember his great skills instead.

AntoneM

jamesinclair said:
This world cup will be rememebred as the worst ever. The black sheep of international sports. Its what happens when you let Italy play

Italy should have never gotten past Australia.

3rd place game > Final

so Italy shouldn't be allowed to play becuase they will win? Doesn't matter how it happens, a win is a win is a win.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The Chosen One said:
I think they should eliminate PKs from the semi and final rounds of the world cup. Instead, keep playing 15 minute halfs until there's a winner. With each new half of extra time, each team gets 2-3 new subs. Basically allow teams to use almost heir whole bench during the overtime phases, so the game doesn't drag too much. Whoever has the deepest bench and the most heart, wins. I'd rather see that instead of PKs, especially for the Final. There's no tomorrow so who cares if the players are dead tired.

I agree.

the NHL has shootouts for regular season games, but they know it's a cheap way to end a game, so they don't use shootouts in the playoffs.

It should be the same way in soccer (and Penalty Kicks in soccer are FAR worse than shootouts in hockey. They don't work nearly as well). You can keep the PKs for the normal international play games, and even group play, but keep the PKs out once you're down to 32 teams.

The Chosen One said:
This is definitely one of the bottom-dwellers of all the World Cups. Too many cards, too much diving, not enough goals, under-whelming performances from the big matchups, and too many games decided by PKs.

I generally agree, I feel like the group play matches were more entertaining than most of the elimination games, which were underwhelming in general. Of lesser importance, I would also note that I think this thread deteriorated seriously after group play, but that's neither here nor there.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
RaijinFY said:
Yeah but a game isnt the first half only! The second half and the prolongations, France was vastly superior to Italy.
I admit italy were poor for the rest of the game. In the first half they were far more dominant, but in the second half they were poor. They lost possession poorly, the defending was clumsy and Italy didnt create any chances.

nitewulf said:
not really, italy only played well right after the first goal, and for about 15 minutes at that. i still dont understand why france sorta gave them the chance after the first goal. they pretty much dominated the rest of the game.
No really, Italy were more dominant in the first half by far. Apart from the penalty france had they didnt really threaten to score a goal. Italy on the other hand were creating chances and they looked like they could socre. From corners they were a big threat. Had toni aimed his header a little lower he would have socred instead of hitting the crossbar.

norinrad21 said:
someone please send this kid to bed
Why? Im right, How were italy not more dominant in the first half?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My unwanted impressions:

-France played better than Italy and deserved accordingly
-Italy played way less dirty than usual, but they are still a nasty bunch and they got away with it.
-Oh Zidane, why the hell did you have to do that... He was seriously injured (popped shoulder) and pissed off, but that's not the way to end a spectacular career... He could have provided France with the power to score another goal... Jesus, that was boneheaded and totally out of place, what a way to ruin a match and say goodbye :(
-A crippled puppy is more effective under the woodwork than Barthez. Why the hell is still playing with the national team is beyond my understanding

nitewulf

also i am happy for del piero, the only italian player i love. the rest of italy, italian fans and specially the "italians" in brooklyn can go **** themselves. nobody knows shit about soccer, but come wc time, everybodys a patriot! freaking bandwagon jumpers.

AJM10707061322.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
They should do something to stop these teams who would rather play for the 50/50 chance on penalties than try and win it in normal time. 15 minutes each way till they finish could work i guess as there'd be no reason to play for the final whistle.

Blatter wont do it though, he'd rather double the size of the goals.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Yoboman said:
lmao England over Australia. Right.
Why not? We have so many good stadiums so why not. I dont know what the conditions of football pitches are like in Australia, but I doubt they're as good as in England. The one advantage that australia has over england is the weather.

Sad_Panda

Stormbringer said:
Je t'arrête tout de suite : avoue seulement que tu es bien dég comme nous tous. Hein que t'es dég.

Non, vu que j'étais pas spécialement pour la France. Par contre, la masse de deg' qui rentre chez soi la queue entre les jambes, c'est hallucinant :lol damage control x1000.

GaimeGuy said:
I agree.

the NHL has shootouts for regular season games, but they know it's a cheap way to end a game, so they don't use shootouts in the playoffs.

It should be the same way in soccer (and Penalty Kicks in soccer are FAR worse than shootouts in hockey. They don't work nearly as well). You can keep the PKs for the normal international play games, and even group play, but keep the PKs out once you're down to 32 teams.

There are no penalties in group play, ties stand.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
psycho_snake said:
Did you close your eyes for the first half or do you refuse to acknowledge that Italy were by far the better team on the first half.
Italy had more play but both teams had the same amount of shots and same amount of shots on goal. The only thing Italy is good at is sucking all fun out of a game.

I'm so dissapointed. I really wanted France to win just to see that incredible player called Zidane walk out in glory. Instead that happened. And btw I hate the way Italy plays - score a goal then stay in defence like morons till they find a chance for a sudden counter attack to put another goal. Said that, Italy played better the last 2-3 games.

And I'm quite sure Materazzi said something really bad to Zidane since Zidane was leaving before Materazzi talked to him.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Propagandhim said:
Zidane will forever remember how much he ****ed himself and his team for his parting game.

A career only eclipsed by Pele and Maradona will be remembered for this one moment? I think not.

Propagandhim said:
Also, that dive in the box was complete crap, not "clearly a foul". Are you blind? Go back and see the replays, the guy jumped it.

Perhaps you are blind. Materazzi jumped across him and clipped him back heel, causing him to trip. Not a single broadcaster or commentator denied that it was a clear foul and a penalty.

psycho_snake said:
Why not? We have so many good stadiums so why not. I dont know what the conditions of football pitches are like in Australia, but I doubt they're as good as in England. The one advantage that australia has over england is the weather.

On one side, too many world cups in Europe. On the other hand, theres a pattern

10 Africa
06 Europe
02 Asia
98 Europe
94 Americas
90 Europe
86 Americas
82 Europe
78 Americas
74 Europe
70 Americas
66 Europe
62 Americas
58 Europe

14... Brazil wants it, but the pattern says Europe (England) could get it.
18... If Brasil gets 14, Europe. If Europe gets 14, Brasil

Sad_Panda said:
Non, vu que j'étais pas spécialement pour la France. Par contre, la masse de deg' qui rentre chez soi la queue entre les jambes, c'est hallucinant :lol damage control x1000.

Pourtant c'est pas si mal deuxième :( . Hein que c'est pas mal :( ? No, being second is definitely not bad.

Or is it ?

Yoboman

psycho_snake said:
We've got plenty of stadiums from AFL, Rugby and Rugby League that can easily be converted to Soccer stadiums. We also have many huge multi-million dollar stadiums just recently built for the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and the Melbourne Commonwealth games which was only a few months ago :)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
MrSardonic said:
Perhaps you are blind. Materazzi jumped across him and clipped him back heel, causing him to trip. No one, except you, is arguing that it wasn't a clear foul and a penalty.

I agree.

Didnt look deliberate but he did clip him and so it had to be a penalty considering where the french guy was heading.

GitarooMan said:
I would also note that I think this thread deteriorated seriously after group play, but that's neither here nor there.

Heh, I noticed the same thing. It seems the civilized fans turned into raving fanatics around here by the elimination rounds. This thread became less fun to read because of all the childish remarks. But I guess that's expected as the stakes are raised.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Damn I hate Italy (the soccer team, the country's cool) I was hoping for France but what can you do? I do wonder what Mazzeratti said to Zidane though.

nitewulf said:
also i am happy for del piero, the only italian player i love. the rest of italy, italian fans and specially the "italians" in brooklyn can go **** themselves. nobody knows shit about soccer, but come wc time, everybodys a patriot! freaking bandwagon jumpers.

AJM10707061322.jpg

GO ALEX

Campioni del mondo ! Juve Rulezzzzzzzzzz :)

GSG Flash said:
Damn I hate Italy (the soccer team, the country's cool) I was hoping for France but what can you do? I do wonder what Mazzeratti said to Zidane though.

Whatever he said it was bad and he's a ****ing asshole. Zidane is maybe the third best player ever, this was his final match and he deserved some respect. I will forever despise Materazzi for this. I hope the worst career for him.

lachesis

Verbal abuse is just as bad as physical abuse, IMHO.

My heart goes to Zizou... but he deserved red-card for losing his temper.

BTW, congratulations, Italy. Cannavaro and Buffon played their hearts out - and my hats off to them and their fighting spirit. However, Materazzi loses my respect one more time.

maxmars

fortified_concept said:
Whatever he said it was bad and he's a ****ing asshole. Zidane is maybe the third best player ever, this was his final match and he deserved some respect. I will forever despise Materazzi for this. I hope the worst career for him.

On the other hand, Zidane is well used to verbal and physical abuse as he's always been feared and recognized as the most dangerous player of his team whatever the team was. Legions of defenders tried to unleash hell on him with varying degrees of success.

I think his prolonged shoulder ache altered his mood -- he simply couldn't bear anymore.

maxmars said:
On the other hand, Zidane is well used to verbal and physical abuse as he's always been feared and recognized as the most dangerous player of his team whatever the team was. Legions of defenders tried to unleash hell on him with varying degrees of success.

I think his prolonged shoulder ache altered his mood -- he simply couldn't bear anymore.

I agree and that's why I don't blame Zidane so much. He deserved the red card but that ****tard Materazzi should have more respect for a player like him.

In other news I feel like crap. Crap crap crap.

FightyF

Banned
Yeah shootouts are the worst way to end a game as they do not determine who is the better team. Obviously, France was the better team in this matchup.

Ninja Scooter said:
the force of the headbutt was so strong it almost knocked Zidane himself over :lol

I don't think so, he looks steady as a rock after he delivers the headbutt, but he almost trips on the Italian guy's leg while walking backwards... Would have been funny if they both fell.

sharukins

Banned
So what if an italian player insulted Zidane, hasnt Zidane been playing for 20 years to know that verbal abuses are frantic on the pitch and to lose ur cool in a WC final and that too in OVERTIME is not the fault of italian players, its solely the fault of Zidane

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
nitewulf said:

AJM10707061322.jpg
I actually don't keep track of soccer much, so when this guy came out I was like "Vin Diesel!?"

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
jamesinclair said:
On one side, too many world cups in Europe. On the other hand, theres a pattern

10 Africa
06 Europe
02 Asia
98 Europe
94 Americas
90 Europe
86 Americas
82 Europe
78 Americas
74 Europe
70 Americas
66 Europe
62 Americas
58 Europe

14... Brazil wants it, but the pattern says Europe (England) could get it.
18... If Brasil gets 14, Europe. If Europe gets 14, Brasil
I thought 14 was already officially designated to South America.

COCKLES

being watched
What was Zidane thinking of? :lol Madness.

Still pretty even game...shame it had to go to the brutal harshness of penalties, but Italy were worthy champions.....central London is noisy tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom