• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
_Alkaline_ said:
Personally Planet Wisp is my favourite so far, the melody that underlines the song is wonderful and the production is really smooth. They're all great though.

As soon as I click on Sweet Mountain and heard the map music I had a huge grin on my face. :D
Planet Wisp is awesome as well, and I absolutely love Starlight Carnival's. Sweet Mountains is alright for the first twenty seconds, but if you actually let it play for a minute or two it gets fantastic.

The_Technomancer said:
Planet Wisp is awesome as well, and I absolutely love Starlight Carnival's. Sweet Mountains is alright for the first twenty seconds, but if you actually let it play for a minute or two it gets fantastic.

Yeah, first time I enter each map I let the music play for a good few minutes. Was pretty surprised by how long and detailed the map tracks are.

Lijik

The_Technomancer said:
Sweet Mountain has the most awesome map music I've heard...ever.
JbSPr.png

Sciz

Much like with the stage themes, while everything else is superlative, Aquarium Park stands astride them all as the greatest of map themes.

dvolovets

Played it for around half an hour. Wow. I am very, very impressed. The gameplay is tight, graphics are phenomenal, and the music is very well orchestrated and composed.

Bravo, Sonic Team.

...I can't believe I just wrote that!

Kard8p3

dvolovets said:
Played it for around half an hour. Wow. I am very, very impressed. The gameplay is tight, graphics are phenomenal, and the music is very well orchestrated and composed.

Bravo, Sonic Team.

...I can't believe I just wrote that!

It's insane isn't it? I want the part of Sonic Team that worked on this to take a shot at Nights.

Luigiv

RobbieNick said:
If I had the tiniest nitpick, it would be that Sonic's too small during the 2-D portions.
Say what? Sonic is the perfect size in the 2D portions. The biggest flaw of the old Megadrive Sonics has always been that the sprites where too big.

Functionality > Style. Always.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
TheOGB said:
EDIT: Just got kicked out of the living room, so now I'm left curious...
What's that sparkling star off to the right of Asteroid Coaster???
It's the credits sequence.

Just beat it a bit ago. I'm actually let down there's no more new stages (other than a bunch of Sonic Simulator stages I'm missing), but I know there's tons of paths in the previous levels I didn't take before. I'm missing tons of red rings, and I think I've only hit about 5 S Ranks. And "It's already over?" is a small price to pay for this constant assault of awesome.

One thing that I really liked is that it didn't make every stage a marathon just because it had to, and that some stages were short, but tightly designed around a theme. Asteroid Coaster,
racing the Motobugs on the planet's ring
was a perfect sign of that, it's rather simplistic, but entertaining, and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Pureauthor said:
FINAL COLOUR BLASTER!

I love finishing moves like these.

I had the stupidest grin on my face during this part, I know it. :lol

theultimo

I like this better then Sonic Adventure...surprising this the game is that good. They really pushed the wii - it looks like the 360 version with less resolution.

The music is excellent, right up there with Sonic Rush as one of my favorites.

Can it be? An actual good sonic game for a change? Yes.

I know the ranking system on the Wii is a pain, having to wait a minute just to see a tiny piece of the rankings. So I thought maybe make a small gaf leaderboard kind of thing.

Here is my friend code: 4469-7544-2280 my game name is dvader.

These are some of my scores and ranking as of last night on the levels I have tried to get an S rank on.

Tropical Resort Act 1 - 1428250 (Rank 11)
Tropical Resort Act 3 - 1693700 (11)
Sweet Mountain Act 1 - 1562000 (4)
Sweet Mountain Act 2 - 1444910 (7)
Sweet Mountain Act 4 - 931460 (15)
Starlight Carnival Act 1 - 1216350 (45)
Starlight Carnival Act 2 - 1033930 (8)
Starlight Carnival Act 4 - 1189720 (8)
Planet Wisp Act 3 - 1360800 (3)
Game Land 1-1 - 360800 (2)
Game Land 1-2 - 918000 (1)

If you want give some scores and I can keep a leaderboard or something. Please no cheating scores, I see the top scorer on the leaderboards is breaking the game or something.

.la1n

Starlight Carnival

sogood.gif

Man it feels good to play this game, absolutely love it. It has it's shortcomings but i'll be damned if they aren't easily ignorable in the grand scheme of things (annoying cutscenes could have done without, including voices for the characters - sonic doesn't need to talk just like mario.)

ghibli99

First console Sonic game I'll be purchasing since SA2... I'm excited and so happy to hear that this game is good! Can't wait to play it!

RobbieNick

For awhile, I was cheating on hunting down red medals by using youtube to find them, but that made the game boring so I'm hunting them down on my own and having much more fun. Almost at 100 medals.

Wizpig

Not only the game is awesome, by the fourth world it also gets harder.

Planet Wisp has some not-so-easy levels.

And of course getting S Ranks is fucking hard.

The initial stage in Starlight is one of the most bullshit sonic levels in quite some time. I'm sorry, it had to be said. It's the very definition of what people have been saying they hate about sonic. Luckily I decided to play Sweet Mountain instead of snapping the disk in half, and it brought me back to a good sonic game.

Also, is speed boosting meant to make you invincible to spikes while falling? It works every time for me, but I'm not sure if it was meant to be this way or just an overlooked error.

Wizpig said:
Not only the game is awesome, by the fourth world it also gets harder.

Planet Wisp has some not-so-easy levels.

And of course getting S Ranks is fucking hard.

I find this game to be one of the easiest to get S-ranks in. Maybe its cause so many of the levels are small, its easier to do a great run. Its all about the wisps and that takes away from the time and ring scores.

RobbieNick

abstract alien said:
The initial stage in Starlight is one of the most bullshit sonic levels in quite some time. I'm sorry, it had to be said. It's the very definition of what people have been saying they hate about sonic. Luckily I decided to play Sweet Mountain instead of snapping the disk in half, and it brought me back to a good sonic game.

Also, is speed boosting meant to make you invincible to spikes while falling? It works every time for me, but I'm not sure if it was meant to be this way or just an overlooked error.

Yea, the first part of that level is just about "look at the pretty graphics!" Then, when you get into the ship, the platforming actually starts.

Aquatic Park Act 6 is incredibly long given the size of most levels in this game. I'm talking semi-Sonic 3/Knuckles length. It's also very, very good, except for the water fountain room where I lose my 300+ rings every single time. Love it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man, there are some bottomless pits, but every time I fall off thinking I'm plunging to my death and I discover a whole new route through the level I just have this huge grin on my face.

DR2K said:
They ran into a few hard portions and rage reviewed Sonic Colors.

I beat the game earlier and didn't have any problems. I need to watch the review to find out what pissed them off so much.

My favorite 3D Sonic.

RobbieNick said:
Yea, the first part of that level is just about "look at the pretty graphics!" Then, when you get into the ship, the platforming actually starts.
Part of the issue with it outside of the sections where you literally just watch the screen and/or push left and right, is that the platforming is incredibly mediocre. It's the most basic of platforming that you can mindlessly proceed through without much thought to controls or planning/improvisation and still get an "A" or "S" rank. Sweet Mountain's main level is a much better implementation of platforming for sonic's style of gameplay.

Speaking of overall controls and quality, this game isn't much farther from the recent games in the series. Of course, keeping the fat to a minimum is always a plus(must play shitty friends, werehogs, bullshit, etc) but Rings and Black Knight did this as well. Control wise, it's decent, but in obvious need of some adjustments. It has Sega's usual analog issues in place, and on top of that, the framerate is still low for this style of gameplay. Basically, it's about the same build quality as the recent sonic titles, as far as functionality goes. I've only played three of the main levels(tropical, starlight, and sweet) so far, so I guess we will see where it goes from here. I really enjoyed sweet mountain, so hopefully they follow suit and keep getting better from that point. Music is nice, but I think all of the recent sonic games have had good music.

My post isn't meant to cast flame on Colors, I just don't think it is a huge improvement over what we have been getting with sonic as of late. That's fine, as I enjoyed Rings, Black Knight, and Unleashed Sonic portions for their own merits...but I would never call any of them "great" games. They are fun, exciting, and flawed...and that is exactly what Colors is as well.

Top Bottom