• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PnP RPGs OT || Come play the REAL RPGs

Do we have any Pathfinder players? I'm looking to introduce my kids to something a bit more meaty, and I played enough 4th edition to know that it isn't what I'm looking for. We've been playing Hero Kids, but they're getting kind of bored with how basic it is. I'd played in some DnD Next sessions, and will eventually be switching to that (picking up the module they're selling at GenCon), but I need something to bridge the gap. I've heard the Beginner Box for Pathfinder is quite good.

Copy pasta of a post from earlier in the thread:

Just an update!

I picked up the Pathfinder Beginner box last night and spent 3 hours reading everything I could and playing the solo adventure. WOW

Remember this is my first experience with any tabletop role playing game but I am already hooked and I can't wait to start the adventure in the box with my wife, sister and her husband.

thanks for the recommendation BattleMonkey

Check out this playlist. Dawnforgedcast runs through the entire Pathfinder concepts with his GF, who is new to RPGs.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A1E3A8F7AB89CD5&feature=plcp

The Beginner Box is my fave RPG release ever.

0one Games has put out two adventures in the style of the Beginner Box, with more coming.

http://bit.ly/SjEhAI

01GMABP01E-B_500.jpeg

Paizo also put out an amazing mini set of the 4 starter characters.

WZKPaintedPreview_500.jpeg

List price is $12.99 and the detail for prepainted figs is great.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8l52/discuss?Pathfinder-Beginner-Box-Heroes-Miniatures-Set

Danoss

Mouse Guard RPG is definitely worth a look, it's pretty cool and very suitable for kids. It's hard not to like the comics that it's based on, no matter your age.

Mouse Guard RPG is definitely worth a look, it's pretty cool and very suitable for kids. It's hard not to like the comics that it's based on, no matter your age.

Totally agree. And it's a gorgeous RPG book.

mouseguard1.jpg

I'd also recommend Icons, as a starter game for kids, or for superhero gaming fans that are looking for rules-lite. It's the spiritual successor to TSR's Marvel Superhero RPG IMO.

Icons+RPG.bmp

Speaking of Pathfinder, a few friends of mine want me to run a Pathfinder campaign for them. I've never DMed before and I am really looking forward to sinking time into building a story and world for the players. I've only played a handful of other campaigns each with different systems so Pathfinder is going to be new to me. A friend of mine will be lending me the starter kit he has.

Any tips you could give for a player transitioning to DM for the first time? Crafting story arcs, handling loot, giving players leeway/freedom outside of the system. Gimme what ye got.

ultron87

I got my payoff from the Reaper Miniatures Kickstarter a few days ago and finally got them all out of the box (the pile on the right is ones that came in groups and I haven't cut off their sticks yet):

I probably won't paint them, but good lord that is a lot of stuff to sic on my players. Will be a nice step up in production value from the Pathfinder Beastiary pawns I'd been using before. And all of it for 100 bucks.

Here's some of the cool bigger stuff:

Keasar

Wow, those are lovely, looking really forward now to receiving my package. How many of the bunch in the big picture were included just in the original 100 USD pledge?

Also, do you have the glue the larger figures? I remember vaguely something being mentioned that there was no gluing needed but I could be wrong.

Edit: Was wrong, have to glue, just need to find some proper super glue.

ultron87

Wow, those are lovely, looking really forward now to receiving my package. How many of the bunch in the big picture were included just in the original 100 USD pledge?

Also, do you have the glue the larger figures? I remember vaguely something being mentioned that there was no gluing needed but I could be wrong.

Edit: Was wrong, have to glue, just need to find some proper super glue.

The add ons I got are the Dragon, the Rock and Tree elementals and the Spider Centaur from the "bigger guys" picture.

And yeah, you do have to glue, but it was a pretty easy task. It sounds like super glue is your best bet.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I'm actually away at my aunt's house so I have to wait for the 7th, assuming it comes by then. Damn I'm envious of you. Did you sniff those freshly printed pages?

I didn't sniff it, but just taking it out of the box you can feel the quality. Pretty nice.

Kipe

Yay, I can finally join rpg gaf instead of looking inside through a window. For the past month I've been playing Pathfinder Society and having fun. Recently I bought over a hundred dollars worth of Shattered Star miniatures. I got sick and tired of borrowing miniatures for my characters so I went nuts. Anyway I'm going to try to GM a game this Saturday, First Steps part three. I need to buy markers and a map.

Yay, I can finally join rpg gaf instead of looking inside through a window. For the past month I've been playing Pathfinder Society and having fun. Recently I bought over a hundred dollars worth of Shattered Star miniatures. I got sick and tired of borrowing miniatures for my characters so I went nuts. Anyway I'm going to try to GM a game this Saturday, First Steps part three. I need to buy markers and a map.

Hey welcome. I'm super in love with PF and especially their setting, Golarion. What seemed to be a random patchwork of settings has really turned out to be a quite wonderful land.

Kipe

More Paizocon news:

Mythic things just do more damage. Like mythic meteor swarm does 308-odd damage.
Oh, mythic items can be like Weapons of Legacy.
Mythic heroes punch dinosaurs in the face.
Clockwork dragon and tooth fairy in Bestiary 4. Also kaiju.
Also Cthulhu.

Pathfinder Strategy Guide announced. How-to book for newbs. Hardback
Wolfgang Bauer, John Compton as authors.

Adventure card game is up. Out in August.
Rise of the Runelords base set.

Mummy's Mask as the next AP.
Flying pyramids.

Hardcover book. Inner sea gods. March of 2014.

Queen Illeosa and King what's his name from Kingmaker minis in Legends of Golarion set.
Badass ifrit mini from Legacy of Fire.
GARGANTUAN GREEN DRAGON PROMO MINI.

Thanks to TOZ for the information from paizo.com forums

I'm excited about the strategy guide since I'm such a noob and already lean heavily on online class guides.

I didn't sniff it, but just taking it out of the box you can feel the quality. Pretty nice.

I just got mine in the mail. :)

I kind of really REALLY want to start an IRC game within the next few weeks after I finish reading the rulebook and come up with my skill list. I'm probably going to stick to the default skill list though. It works for most everything I want, with minor reskinning. Only difference is I'll add a generic Magic skill (being sure to balance it carefully), and probably just combine Burglary and Stealth.

Because of time and such, we are looking at doing some roleplaying online using software like roll20. Issue is that some games like the new Star Wars and Warhammer use special custom dice and not numerical values, but icons printed on the dice. Any way to get such a thing to work in roll20 or other software that would support custom dice?

My copy of Dragon Age Set 1 just came in :) Now all I have to do is find people to play with.

Because of time and such, we are looking at doing some roleplaying online using software like roll20. Issue is that some games like the new Star Wars and Warhammer use special custom dice and not numerical values, but icons printed on the dice. Any way to get such a thing to work in roll20 or other software that would support custom dice?

Maptool has custom frameworks that people have made for those games.

Danoss

You certainly picked the right time to ask this question. Roll20 just announced that rollable tables are now available for use by the entire community.

This has been in testing on the development server for a while now, which is only accessible by Mentor level supporters. Since this has only just become available (I got the email about it less than 10 hours ago) I haven't had a thorough look it, but it shouldn't be too difficult to set up and I'm sure there's something in the forums there to help you get it working.

The link above is to the wiki page to help you get started.

You certainly picked the right time to ask this question. Roll20 just announced that rollable tables are now available for use by the entire community.

This has been in testing on the development server for a while now, which is only accessible by Mentor level supporters. Since this has only just become available (I got the email about it less than 10 hours ago) I haven't had a thorough look it, but it shouldn't be too difficult to set up and I'm sure there's something in the forums there to help you get it working.

The link above is to the wiki page to help you get started.

HAHA Danoss beat me! I just read this email. Custom diceHOOOO!

So Numenera is a definite GenCon purchase for me since I missed the Kickstarter. Was also looking at Shadowrun 5th Ed. but really haven't seen much info on it.

Zynx

Anyone still play Star Wars Saga edition? Most of the people I know have moved on and aren't coming back, but I still think it's the bees knees.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if we have too many 40k pnp players here, but Dark Heresy 2nd Edition out of nowhere. Looks to be a proper new edition as opposed to the incremental streamlining that's taken place between lines; an Edge of the Empire-esque combat system, even more ludicrous critical tables, and the return of psykers being at least as lethal to themselves as to other people.

Keasar

Saw this on the Numenera Sneak Peek page.
Sarrak.jpg

First of all, that thing is awesome.
Secondly, now I am -really- curious on how the rules look cause that is a very sleek presentation of a monster. :D

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Can anyone provide a high-level view of Numenera and the new Star Wars game?

I've seen them pop up on Amazon, but don't know anything about them. Sounds like Numenera may be something not to miss from the previous couple of posts.

Danoss

I thought the current Bundle of Holding would be worth a mention here. I know there are a number of Pathfinder players here, and even those that aren't might have some interest in it. It is packed full of PDFs of the Midgard setting and to get all of them is currently only $22.45. I have no interest in Pathfinder, but I picked it up anyway as a lot of it could be ported over to the very recently (today) released 13th Age and a host of other games. There are concepts for using setting NPCs as icons in the game on the Kobold Press site, which is pretty sweet.

While I'm here, being the time of year it is there are plenty of new games and related things are being released at the same time. Quite a few sourcebooks, expansions and scenarios just dropped on the Pelgrane site in the early hours of this morning (in Australia anyway) and because they're all awesome, I snapped them up. If Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents and Ashen Stars are your thing, then you probably want to take a look.

Along with these, a new game dropped. Owl Hoot Trail is what you get if you dumped the American Wild West into a fantasy setting we're all familiar with. Seriously, on the cover there is a gunslinger mounted on a drake and pointing his gun at an owlbear. If that doesn't get you excited, then I don't know what will.

Since it only came out today I've barely even skimmed the book, but it looks awesome. It seems that it'll be a bit harsher than it seems at first glance with guns doing a decent amount of damage and a critical hit being, well, a critical hit. There's a lot of content packed into this little book, so if it sounds up your alley then I think you'd be in for a good time.

Xater

Guys a bought a "The dark Eye" rulebook. I guess this is now also happening for me. I think I would rather play Pathfinder but that game doesn't seem to have a huge following in Germany, which would mean a hard time to find players. The biggest RPGs seem to be The Dark Eye and Shadowrun.

If people on here would be up for some online pathfinder I might look into getting an English rulebook. Well at least if I have fun actually playing PnP RPGs. Gotta play my first round of TDE first.

Danoss

Soooo hyped for Numenera but my reading queue is so backlogged I'm going to wait a bit.

But it's crazy pretty.

I had a quick look on the Numenera website and could have easily made an impulse buy, but that doesn't seem possible. In most cases I buy direct through the publisher because the combination of local gaming shops and RPGs here don't tend to be much of a thing here.

Probably for the best, my shelves have plenty on them as it is (they're actually overflowing). My reading queue is also enormous and growing at a ridiculous rate. It's hard to complain that so many good games and supplements are being released.

cj_iwakura

I'm working on a Vampire: The Masquerade Sabbat campaign at another message board, so feel free to hit me up if you're interested. It'll be PBP, a homebrew effort using NWoD rules with OWoD setting.

flyover

Numenera book is top notch so far. Really, really digging the world and the system. GM rolls no dice!
Whaaat? That could be really cool. Now I've got to play/GM this. I quit D&D years ago, and have just been playing Labyrinth Lord (old D&D basic clone) since then, because the gameplay is so frictionless -- and I don't feel like I'm splitting a good chunk of my time between being a walking Excel document and random number generator.

Giard

Me and my friends want to play a PnP RPG for the first time. I imagine this has been asked numerous times, but among the RPGs listed in the OP, which one would be the best to start off with?

We thought of Shadowrun, Pathfinder... Marvel Heroic Roleplaying looks nice too.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get a Fate Core game started. I curse my parents for convincing me to attend a college where there are not even 20 kids interested in PNP RPGs and even less interested in trying new systems.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Me and my friends want to play a PnP RPG for the first time. I imagine this has been asked numerous times, but among the RPGs listed in the OP, which one would be the best to start off with?

We thought of Shadowrun, Pathfinder... Marvel Heroic Roleplaying looks nice too.

It sorta depends on what setting you guys are interested in. I know Pathfinder has a beginner's set and Shadowrun has at least a quickstart guide. Don't know about Marvel RPG.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get a Fate Core game started. I curse my parents for convincing me to attend a college where there are not even 20 kids interested in PNP RPGs and even less interested in trying new systems.

That sucks dude. Try posting at your LGS? Worst comes to worst, there's always the internet.

If you have any interest in starting fantasy roleplaying, I could not recommend this high enough.

3233-22e5473570b1b2e6d8ae31d644791283.jpg

Simplified ruleset that leads directly into the Pathfinder Core Ruleset.

Paizo offers a few free Beginner Box adventures besides those that are in the box as well.

For a look into it, check out this playlist. Dawnforgedcast runs through the entire Pathfinder concepts with his GF, who is new to RPGs.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A1E3A8F7AB89CD5&feature=plcp

The Beginner Box is my fave RPG release ever.

0one Games has put out two adventures in the style of the Beginner Box, with more coming.

http://bit.ly/SjEhAI

01GMABP01E-B_500.jpeg

Paizo also put out an amazing mini set of the 4 starter characters.

WZKPathfinderBattlesBeginnerBox-2.jpg

List price is $12.99 and the detail for prepainted figs is great.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8l52/discuss?Pathfinder-Beginner-Box-Heroes-Miniatures-Set

If you need further PF beginning module/adventure suggestions after you play this for a while, let me know!

Keasar

I mentioned a while a ago that I got a really cool swedish RPG game called Svavelvinter that had some unique gameplay ideas and a lovely setting.

Well, the awesome guys at Fria Ligan have released some quickstart rules and the included adventure in the rulebook in English for international players to try it out.
http://frialigan.se/2013/try-the-svavelvinter-rpg-in-english/

Don't know if this means they will release it completely in English, but one can hope, it is a really sweet game.

Edit: Quick question to anyone else reading the Numenera rules. I am a little confused on how the Stat pools work. Lets say you have a Glaive with 15 Might, you spend 3 might on a action to make something easier, you are left with 12 Might. If you would go into combat with something that does damage to you, does that further lower that 12 point Might pool? If so, isn't it quite dangerous to use Stat pool points for actions whenever there can be something to hurt your character?

I mentioned a while a ago that I got a really cool swedish RPG game called Svavelvinter that had some unique gameplay ideas and a lovely setting.

Well, the awesome guys at Fria Ligan have released some quickstart rules and the included adventure in the rulebook in English for international players to try it out.
http://frialigan.se/2013/try-the-svavelvinter-rpg-in-english/

Don't know if this means they will release it completely in English, but one can hope, it is a really sweet game.

Edit: Quick question to anyone else reading the Numenera rules. I am a little confused on how the Stat pools work. Lets say you have a Glaive with 15 Might, you spend 3 might on a action to make something easier, you are left with 12 Might. If you would go into combat with something that does damage to you, does that further lower that 12 point Might pool? If so, isn't it quite dangerous to use Stat pool points for actions whenever there can be something to hurt your character?

Wow, this Quickstart is GORGEOUS! I envy your having the full book. I'm hoping this means a full English version is forthcoming.

As for Numenera, I'm too green to it, but it's up on my read through list.

Barmaley

Neo Member
This fall I intend to jump headfirst into roleplaying. I have from now till then to prep all the stuff like a campaign, npcs and all that other stuff comes with it. I should add that I've never played an rpg before and neither has anyone in my group, we are (were) boardgamers. Since I'm going to be the GM (and the one spending the hard-earned dough), I'm getting to pick which rpg we are gonna play. And of course I'm gonna pick an rpg set in a universe I'm a fanboy of: so far my choice has boiled down to either warhammer fantasy 3rd edition or the one ring. I'm not gonna go through the growing pains of a gm with an rpg set in a universe i hate, like dragon age or something similar.
Anyways, Warhammer, because of all they boardgamey bits and chits which are supposed to help with the bookkeeping thus smoothing the roleplaying experience, and also because it's WAAAAGHHAMMA.
The One Ring, because well, it's set in Middle earth and I'm a Tolkien fanatic. Not a scholar, just fanatic. But that is also a reason of concern for me. Since the the sources for this rpg are so..... literary, I fear that the quality of the newb roleplaying just won't live up to it, and would end in general disappointment.
So my question is, has anyone had the chance to try any or both games and is able to chime in on my decision making process? Actually, any and all advice for a newb gm with a newb group is welcome and appreciated :)

Top Bottom