• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed director says "We're working on" the RPG's combat after a lukewarm reception during the Xbox Direct

Nydius

It's good that they're taking constructive feedback to heart but this is the exact kind of thing that makes me believe the game will end up delayed to 2025. I'm sure what they showed was a few builds old but it looked super rough and not something I expect by fall of this year to be done and polished.

It's okay if they don't get right at launch they have until the PS5 port to fix it

Sir, I feel like we may need to start a GoFundMe for you so you can afford all the towels and new clothes you're going to need to clean yourself up after these last few days. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

RickMasters

Great news and good for them. This is why having standards and calling out is a good thing rather than being a fanboy and pretending everything is fine, the devs improve, we get a better game, we all win.
I agree. And this works especially when they listen which clearly obsidian are.

I’ve always liked them. And I might be one of the few people round here that liked the outer world and is looking forward to the sequel. One of Xbox best aquistions for sure.

RickMasters

Same thing happened with Starfield.

Final game plays pretty good. Their initial showing was even worse than this.
Hey! We ain’t allowed to say we like starfield Around here

*whispers* : psst…. I think the game is good but I’ll wait till that shattered space DLC to start a proper play through. Bethesda games are never that good at launch. They get good good after hey patch the shot out them… i just play other games in the meantime 😅😉

RickMasters

at the risk of being wrong….. I’m gonna bet this turns out to be a good, solid, obsidian RPG, with a great story. It’s all I want and need from them. That and a good proper AAA production values.

Hey! We ain’t allowed to say we like starfield Around here

*whispers* : psst…. I think the game is good but I’ll wait till that shattered space DLC to start a proper play through. Bethesda games are never that good at launch. They get good good after hey patch the shot out them… i just play other games in the meantime 😅😉

I will also allow them to work on the game a bit more before starting another play through. Am playing Fallout 76 right now and its pretty good as well. So best to play their games sometime after launch.

As for Outer Worlds, i thought it was decent. I assume Obsidian is under impression that Outer Worlds is good due to good critical reception and sales. So they keep comparing both games.

They have no idea here on Gaf there is an army of Outer Worlds haters.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never mind the combat. I dont expect any RPG to have perfect twitchy controls like playing Ninja Gaiden or DMC. But change the awful yellow guy voice overs. RPGs are supposed to be heavy into plot and characters, and having a college dude talking in a fantasy game is so out of place.

Some of the clunkiest, boring looking combat I've ever seen

Ahhh, so my eyes didn't deceive me, good to know! I don't know if that's enough to make a good game but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Pro-tip to Xbox fans: one reason your plastic box is in the position it's in is because of your startling lack of ability to criticize mistakes made, blindly follow wherever Papa Phil leads you and never *ever* have a single negative thing to say about the Xbox brand (though in light of recent developments some are suddenly whistling a different tune). I love PlayStation all day long but I will happily call out bullshit and lay blame when it's deserved, period.

Anyway, who knows what will ultimately happen with this game now 🤷‍♂️

I find it amazing that developers can spend years working on a game and dump untold millions into a project without realizing that it looks like garbage. In July of 2020, it was announced that Halo Infinite would be launching before that Christmas. They ended up delaying it an entire year, but they had no idea that it was trash until it was revealed to the public. Even with the year delay, it still fell short in many areas. You can't "fix" something like a game's combat system in the eleventh hour. Avowed is going to be a mess.

Top Bottom