• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

So, I'm at a place called Sunset House. It's a giant glowing house, and I don't know what it's significance is, or even if it's possible to go inside. There is some sort of shrine outside with 4 statues. You can interact with the statues and make them form different poses. So, I'm guessing you must make the statues form specific poses to open the door to Sunset House?

Retrofluxed

-Yeti said:
So, I'm at a place called Sunset House. It's a giant glowing house, and I don't know what it's significance is, or even if it's possible to go inside. There is some sort of shrine outside with 4 statues. You can interact with the statues and make them form different poses. So, I'm guessing you must make the statues form specific poses to open the door to Sunset House?

You have to
go to the shrine during the day and remember what each statue's pose is. Then go back a night, change each statue to the pose they had during the day and the front door to the mansion will open.

Mastperf

Ok, problem...

I'm on the second Sam and max mission where you have to go hunt for Max when he gets drunk. I'm in a room where max is playing a big organ and spawning hollow men. I've been killing hollow men for ages but can't seem to get the force field around the book to drop.Is this a known glitch and I'm screwed? I have over 260 unused Guild Seals and can't stand the thought of losing them and starting over.

dralla

uh how do I train my dog with books? I'm not getting the d-pad prompt to give it to him. I know I have it because I can sell it at pawn shops.

ps. I also found a chest with 50,000 gold in it :D

Nelo Ice

Banned
dralla said:
uh how do I train my dog with books? I'm not getting the d-pad prompt to give it to him. I know I have it because I can sell it at pawn shops.

ps. I also found a chest with 50,000 gold in it :D

interact with him and you'll get the dpad prompt

I'm about 9 hours in and i would say 5 or 6 of those hours have been linear narrative driven bullshit running around with Walter, these segments are driving me insane. I just want to do my own thing but this asshole keeps showing up and leading me around.

Fix The Scientist said:
I'm about 9 hours in and i would say 5 or 6 of those hours have been linear narrative driven bullshit running around with Walter, these segments are driving me insane. I just want to do my own thing but this asshole keeps showing up and leading me around.
I'm about 13 hours in and I'd say maybe 3-4 hours was how you describe, if not less. Don't feel rushed into meeting up with him for the next mission if you don't want to. Feel free to stop and smell the roses. Hell, he even tells you to at one point.

Oh and speaking of the dog, has anybody successfully played fetch yet? Every time I want to, once I get into the interaction screen, I'm facing a wall or some other unsuitable place. But when I have had an open field in front of me and make a solid toss, nothing happens. My dog won't react one iota. This happening for anybody else?

And OK, one more thing. Why oh why Lionhead don't you use the dog to the fullest? There is no good reason whatsoever to have a golden fairy line leading you to the next quest objective when you've provided us with a four legged companion capable of doing that as well, if not much much better.

Fido! Lead us to the next objective. Good dog! Who's a good dog? You're a good dog!, etc.

TommyT

Mastperf said:
Ok, problem...

I'm on the second Sam and max mission where you have to go hunt for Max when he gets drunk. I'm in a room where max is playing a big organ and spawning hollow men. I've been killing hollow men for ages but can't seem to get the force field around the book to drop.Is this a known glitch and I'm screwed? I have over 260 unused Guild Seals and can't stand the thought of losing them and starting over.

I just did this last night, and the short of it is: Yes, you need to keep killing hollow men, then peasants (the ones that were partying) and eventually militia looking soldiers. However, the event plays out as 1 of the brothers is playing the organ and you'll fight for awhile, then the brother will come and tell you to destroy the whisps to get to the book, he'll be convinced to help his brother in trying to kill you, and the event will progress. If this isn't happening, I don't know what else to tell you. I don't remember if there were spotlight hollow men fights like some of the prior areas which might also need to be triggered.

TommyT

keltickennedy said:
Has anyone found out if there is still character scarring. I remember in Fable 2 I actually liked some of the bad-ass scarring my character had.

I believe you need to be 'knocked down' to obtain a scar.

Put 5 hours in yesterday, now if I go to the pause menu/sanctuary I cant go back to the game unless I use the map and fast travel. And if I click on the map I cant get back out of it and have to fast travel after selecting a quest. I reloaded and even deleted and redownloaded the DLC and it did nothing. Now im gonna have to start over, and have to pray it doesnt happen again.

ultron87

If you get knocked out in combat does it do anything crazy like instantly auto-saving? Or can you just turn the console off right away and not mess up getting the achievement?

Edit: Not that I'm that worried about it since this game is apparently easy as pie.

So how long does the part as 'being the king' last? There are few decisions you have to make, I guess 5 of them. After I make those, will the game advance me to the next mission or will I have time to earn more money and save up?

Also once I beat the game, will I still be able to do the rest of the quests I have left or I can't do that anymore?

ultron87 said:
If you get knocked out in combat does it do anything crazy like instantly auto-saving? Or can you just turn the console off right away and not mess up getting the achievement?

Edit: Not that I'm that worried about it since this game is apparently easy as pie.

My buddy did that yesterday, he got knocked out and he quit to the dashboard, this was instantaneous though, and it didn't register his death/fall.

sweetvar26 said:
So how long does the part as 'being the king' last? There are few decisions you have to make, I guess 5 of them. After I make those, will the game advance me to the next mission or will I have time to earn more money and save up?

Also once I beat the game, will I still be able to do the rest of the quests I have left or I can't do that anymore?

King section takes about 2-3 hours. Not quite following your second question, if you're referring to your tasks, once you finish the last one it takes you to the next "day" of tasks.

You can play after beating the game.

FrankT

Do you still earn gold outside of the game from your properties?

NullPointer said:
I'm about 13 hours in and I'd say maybe 3-4 hours was how you describe, if not less. Don't feel rushed into meeting up with him for the next mission if you don't want to. Feel free to stop and smell the roses. Hell, he even tells you to at one point.

I]

Basically what I've been doing the whole time. Feel like I haven't even scratched the surface so far.

TheNiX said:
King section takes about 2-3 hours. Not quite following your second question, if you're referring to your tasks, once you finish the last one it takes you to the next "day" of tasks.

You can play after beating the game.

Ok thanks.

I was referring to how you have to make decisions on day 1.
Like the last one is considering the proposal for rebuilding old bowerstone quarters.
I was wondering after I do that, there isn't much to do after that. I guess 2-3 hours as a king is decent time. Lots of decisions to make I suppose?

I'm really running low on XP/seals. I need to join my buddy's game or something and get some more to open few more chests.

The more I play this, the more I want to play some Fable 2.

But I have to at least take the crown and see how the game changes. Based just upon my experiences so far along the road to rule I think Fable 2 is better in just about every way (although I'd miss spellcasting changes and co-op improvements). Here's hoping that the true innovation is to be found within the king gameplay.

Zeal

Banned
Talk about bugs.

Not only did I get the dreaded mute John Cleese bug, but my dog ended up permanently becoming the breed of my co-op partner's. WTF?

Lionhead. Patch. Now, please.

AcciDante

So, can I just leave my game running and get money from my businesses every 5 minutes? I'm past the first phase of the game and am
king
now. I don't know if that's a spoiler.

dralla

how do you get that gold key in driftwood. it's just sitting there, taunting me

how much money do you get from buying a business? they're expensive, is it worth the investment?

Eric WK

Zeal said:
Talk about bugs.

Not only did I get the dreaded mute John Cleese bug, but my dog ended up permanently becoming the breed of my co-op partner's. WTF?

Lionhead. Patch. Now, please.

Oh man. Going to play with my buddy who has the Boxer breed and try everything possible to replicate this.

Eric WK

dralla said:

how much money do you get from buying a business? they're expensive, is it worth the investment?

You should be buying every property you can as soon as you can to maximize their benefits through your playthrough. And yeah, generating nearly 100k gold every five minutes towards the end of the game is certainly "worth the investment."

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. This thread is so slow for a new release.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Again sorry if this has been answered but is there a benifit to sticking with the Hero's weapons? Been using the sword and pistol most of the game (got 3 tags to each of them), just swap them out for the wolf sword and bonesmasher.

Hixx

So in one day of Fable 3 I've had more game-stopping bugs than in Fallout NV in a week.

drogbadisgrace.jpg

8 hours in and really enjoying it but 3 times I've had to reboot due to stupid bugs. Also Jasper telling me to visit the bloody Sanctuary Shop every time I enter the sanctuary is starting to get a wee bit annoying...

Einbroch

Banned
Warnen said:
Again sorry if this has been answered but is there a benifit to sticking with the Hero's weapons? Been using the sword and pistol most of the game (got 3 tags to each of them), just swap them out for the wolf sword and bonesmasher.
No. The Hero weapons are, for the most part, useless.

Legendary weapons are much better.

Einbroch said:
Let me see if I have this right. Only legendary weapons can be upgraded, through completing their three challenges. But only hero weapons evolve visually as the player uses them? Or can they both transform/evolve?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Einbroch said:

Which ones are the Legendary items? Do any of them favor the good side?

BTW, anyone else wish Lionhead had the foresight to allow two save states. Say, you know, if you want to do one good and one bad run? Blah.

Poona

Kintaro said:
BTW, anyone else wish Lionhead had the foresight to allow two save states. Say, you know, if you want to do one good and one bad run? Blah.

I'm pretty sure you can. I was going to start another game playing as a female. Isn't there a setting in Options (within the Sanctuary) to start a New Game?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Einbroch said:

KK thanks. I did notice the other weapons had better damage but thought it might turn into something better later.

Kintaro said:

Think it does, when I went to load a game there were 4 slots.

NullPointer said:
Let me see if I have this right. Only legendary weapons can be upgraded, through completing their three challenges. But only hero weapons evolve visually as the player uses them? Or can they both transform/evolve?

All the weapons look different as your gun/melee skill goes up, noticed that because all the hammers I have looked the same at melee lvl 1 and now at 3 they look totally different.

Einbroch

Banned
Legendary Weapons are the weapons that can be upgraded three times by fulfilling certain conditions. They do not "evolve" through regular usage or by how you act, but rather gain bonuses by completing the conditions. This DOES change they way they look and adds said perks. These are the weapons you buy in shops and find in treasures.

Hero Weapons are the four (sword, hammer, pistol, and rifle) weapons that upgrade through use and evolve by responding to how you act. Use the shock spell a lot, and it will look like a magical weapon. Use shock a TON and it will add lightning damage to your attacks. Spend a lot of gold and your handle will become ornate. Spend a TON of gold and your weapon will turn gold in color. And on and on and on.

Legendary Weapons are superior because some of the perks on them are insane. I have a weapon that does 80% more damage to Hollow Men, 30% more damage in the daytime, and has a shotgun spray whenever I shoot. That's pretty amazing. On top of that the pistol itself has 12 more damage than my Hero Pistol.

Basically, morphing is vastly overrated and 80% of the time all it does is change the way the weapon looks, not how powerful it is. Maybe there's a min/max formula that can make a Hero Weapon better (aka following a walkthrough and grinding only certain skills or enemies) but so far I haven't come across an upgrade that screams must-have.

dralla said:

There are three side quests you have to do.

1. Is where you bring the guy from Bowerstone market to Driftwood.
2. Pest control
3. Giftwood for driftwood.

After completing the quests, get out of driftwood and do some missions elsewhere. After like 15 minutes, you will get the achievement called Island Of Paradise.

Then return back to driftwood, go to the town which is in a different spot now, you will see a switch that you will have to melee, shoot and use spells on it. Chase it down all the way until it reaches a portal and in the portal you will get the gold key.

Hope this is clear.

NullPointer said:
The more I play this, the more I want to play some Fable 2.

But I have to at least take the crown and see how the game changes. Based just upon my experiences so far along the road to rule I think Fable 2 is better in just about every way (although I'd miss spellcasting changes and co-op improvements). Here's hoping that the true innovation is to be found within the king gameplay.
Madness, every system in 3 is an improvement over 2. With the exception of expressions and the gold crumb trail not kicking in instantly. The game doesn't change in any way when you get the crown so don't get your hopes up or have any expectations at all.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damn man, game is so great. 6 hours in now, starting to buy up some of the carriages in the first camp. I started making friends with people and turns out they all have quests you can do, like fetching items or delivering packages. Im guessing most everybody has a quest like this. I love the atmosphere of the locations too. The music is also great.

Lostconfused said:
Madness, every system in 3 is an improvement over 2. With the exception of expressions and the gold crumb trail not kicking in instantly. The game doesn't change in any way when you get the crown so don't get your hopes up or have any expectations at all.
Expressions, and how you use them are 90% of the fun for me in a Fable game. With Fable 3 I can no longer choose expressions, and the damn game only gives me the option to "dance" with almost every villager. And before anybody can pipe in YES I HAVE UNLOCKED THE VARIOUS EXPRESSIONS.

I liked interacting without switching to a different mode. I liked trying to win favors by tactically manipulating people, or sending them running in fear. I liked playing the lute for fun and drawing a crowd of onlookers - this is purely a "job" now. I liked earning and spending points to customize my character. I liked the clothing options, titles, aiming my weapons, and hunting down gargoyles. Hell, I even liked playing fetch and doing shared expressions and tricks with the dog. All of this stuff has been removed to simplify what was already a very simple game, and in the process they removed a lot of heart.

But hey, I'm not here to rain on your parade. It looks like the changes I hate are ones that you love, so they must be doing something right. But let me be a warning to those who got their enjoyment through the expression system and choices that you were offered in Fable 2. Fable 3 is an entirely different beast. I think I'll sit on it for a while and go back to Fable 2 until I'm ready to play this new game on its own story-driven terms.

NullPointer said:
Expressions, and how you use them are 90% of the fun for me in a Fable game. With Fable 3 I can no longer choose expressions, and the damn game only gives me the option to "dance" with almost every villager. And before anybody can pipe in YES I HAVE UNLOCKED THE VARIOUS EXPRESSIONS.

I liked interacting without switching to a different mode. I liked trying to win favors by tactically manipulating people, or sending them running in fear. I liked playing the lute for fun and drawing a crowd of onlookers - this is purely a "job" now. I liked earning titles. Hell, I even liked playing fetch and doing shared expressions and tricks with the dog. All of this stuff has been removed to simplify what was already a very simple game, and in the process they removed a lot of heart.

But hey, I'm not here to rain on your parade. It looks like the changes I hate are ones that you love, so they must be doing something right. But let me be a warning to those who got their enjoyment through the expression system and choices that you were offered in Fable 2. Fable 3 is an entirely different beast. I think I'll sit on it for a while and go back to Fable 2 until I'm ready to play this new game on its own story-driven terms.
Well I guess if the expressions made the game for you then yeah it sucks. Although honestly if I cared that much about expressions I would probably play Fable 1 again, because there are too many things wrong with Fable 2 for me to like it.

Edit: To me Fable 2 are all the eggs Lionhead had to break to make the omelet of Fable 3. Although I can't say just how much I like Fable 3, I just know I like it so much more than 2.

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered but does buying melée/gun/magic upgrades change your appearance or is it just the use of the skills that makes you taller/brawnier etc?

Maybe because it's less than a week before midterm elections, but one thing this game has shown me is people who want to be a politician either have a gigantic ego, are crazy or are just using people for an unrelated goal. This is a really great, but simple campaign simulation.

Anywho what's up with buggy bread crumb trail? I had an active quest from my created villager to search for something in Mistpeak Valley, but when I get there the trail vanishes. I've had a couple relationship fetch quests end up with the same result.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone with more skill want to organize a weapon trading program? I want to get some better legendary weapons because... well, all of the ones in my game are tailored for evil players and are of no use to me. :lol

NullPointer said:

I liked interacting without switching to a different mode. I liked trying to win favors by tactically manipulating people, or sending them running in fear. I liked playing the lute for fun and drawing a crowd of onlookers - this is purely a "job" now. I liked earning and spending points to customize my character. I liked the clothing options, titles, aiming my weapons, and hunting down gargoyles. Hell, I even liked playing fetch and doing shared expressions and tricks with the dog. All of this stuff has been removed to simplify what was already a very simple game, and in the process they removed a lot of heart.

These two you can still do. With the gun out hold down the L trigger and you can aim. Although I prefer Fable 2's way of doing it. There are no gargoyles but there are
gnomes that unlock after doing a quest and they act the exact same way.

I mostly agree with you though. They took out some of the things I liked best about Fable. And I'm sick of that asshole Butler telling me there's new shit in the store to buy. I know that dog suit is there and I'm not going to buy it. Nor am I going to buy the black dye that you're going to be selling there soon which should have already been in the fucking game.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I was out at Buffalo Wild Wings earlier tonight with some friends/co-workers and when I got home my awesome gf surprised me with a copy of Fable 3! I can't wait to get started!

So should I never go the Sanctuary? Is my game bugged? If I leave the game running for a while it'll end up on the map screen, but I can't select anything and I can't leave. The only thing I can select tells me I can't quick travel until I complete my quest but I can't back out of there, I just sit there for minutes hitting all the buttons and scrolling the magnifier everywhere :(

I wooed a girl, got her heart, proposed and remembered we need a house. So I bought one in town. I find her, propose again and it asks me to select a family home. I go over every house, the one I bought is tagged blue but other then info nothing pops up. Some houses have a red arrow up do nothing when I select them and...I can't exit out, just like the quest I was stuck on before.

WTF is it with this map I can't get out of? Why can't I just go back to my game? I have to exit to dashboard and while with the fiancee it was no big deal I have to do a whole dungeon over again because of this shit.

Mastperf

TommyT said:
I just did this last night, and the short of it is: Yes, you need to keep killing hollow men, then peasants (the ones that were partying) and eventually militia looking soldiers. However, the event plays out as 1 of the brothers is playing the organ and you'll fight for awhile, then the brother will come and tell you to destroy the whisps to get to the book, he'll be convinced to help his brother in trying to kill you, and the event will progress. If this isn't happening, I don't know what else to tell you. I don't remember if there were spotlight hollow men fights like some of the prior areas which might also need to be triggered.

I killed hollow men for more than an hour and nothing else was ever triggered. Looks like it's a bug. I've triggered countless spotlight hollow men but can't seem to progress. Oh well, thanks for the help.

So I just tried to quick travel to bowerstone. Upon arrival I fell through the ground and fell down into limbo and am now stuck in some falling animation. I turned the console off and reloaded the save and it just happened to save while I'm floating in midair. My save of 20 hours is now fucked, thanks Lionhead, quality product you put out.

NullPointer said:

If you read the last page, I feel the same way. Fable was pretty much the only console RPG that allowed you to interact with NPCs in different ways, which I took great joy in. Now in Fable III, the NPC interactions have just about been reduced down to the level of every other RPG. It's linear and a chore.

After I finish Fable III, I think I'm going to get a Fable II DLC.

Btw, wasn't your save file from Fable II suppose to have some effect on Fable III? So far I've seen no indication of this. Did that feature get the axe?

Top Bottom