• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Designer Calls Out Kojima on Sex (Pot to Kettle: "You are blue!")

cortana_character_design_text_zps85b6db77.jpg

Needs hipster glasses.

Ithil

point? Thats the appearance that AI chose, and he's new to the series. Putting a parka on cortona at this point in the series would be completely ridiculous, and 343 would have gotten even more flack.

Yes, but why not stick with the Halo 1-3 design? Yeah, it changed from game to game, but the core look was the same, and wasn't very sexual at all, it was just like a doll or mannequin, which seems to me suits the AI representation a lot more than Halo 4's did.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I think the "femnist" shit needs to stop. This stuff has never been an issue in video games until about 2 years ago and I don't understand why we're suddenly having to tip toe and cater to please everybody. Sure, Kojima's character design is questionable at times but he's always been like that.

I should also note that these kinds of things aren't a big deal in Japanese culture. Kojima is a Japanese developer and he shouldn't have to feel bad about his work because people are "offended" by his character design choices.

I think the fact that it is just japanese culture so we shouldn't care is not an accurate assessment, it doesn't invalidate the fact that it is still questionable.

Majukun

Just don't forget that all the calling out of Bioware's and 343's insulting, oversexualised, pandering designs is not a defense of Kojima.

"They did it too" doesn't mean that Kojima is justified in this, but that they're all the same kind of garbage in that aspect.

kojima (or anyone else) doesn't need justification for his designs

people are just pointing out that someone should not "look at the speck of sawdust in his brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in his own "

Cortana in Halo is different from other AI in the Halo universe. She's a clone of Dr Halsey in mechanical form. Halsey is vain, but at the time she creates Cortana she was already old and one of the things she was vain about, her looks, had already deteriorated due to age. Since Cortana is a clone of Halsey she is also vain and prideful, and also angry because she is clone and an ai which means she doesn't get to live a long life. Cortana makes herself look like a young naked version of Halsey because its the only way she can get back at Halsey.

lol ... seriously?

Halo 4 Cortana design was definitely ridiculous, but that doesn't excuse a design like the one from Kojima. I'm tired of this shit. No one is buying Halo for Cortana boobs. It's degrading to all of us.

no one is buying MGSV for Quiet's bikini outfit either.

I get not liking the design though, but it's not like this is anything new for both genders in a Kojima game.

It's not like every straight guy liked playing as a naked tortured Raiden.

Kojima gonna Kojima

it's just now we can hear about the process through twitter instead of discovering it out ourselves in the game

Grief.exe

Yes, but why not stick with the Halo 1-3 design? Yeah, it changed from game to game, but the core look was the same, and wasn't very sexual at all, it was just like a doll or mannequin, which seems to me suits the AI representation a lot more than Halo 4's did.

Because they are doing exactly what Kojima is doing, but they are not being honest about the applications.

Cortana's design became significantly sexier so they can appeal to the younger male demographic. Same reason they adjusted the gameplay to be more in line with Call of Duty.

kadotsu

Banned
I agree with him. The attire of Quite doesn't make sense for the environment she moves in, currently. You could speculate that she can change her skin pigmentation (based on the trailer) to achieve an octocamo effect, which would explain the clothing.

The problem I have with the recent "Japanese pre-release game sexism outrage of the month" is that the audience can never truly engage in the conversation because the context of the criticized material is unknown. Do it after the game is released.

Mr. X

Kind of dangerous to imply what female characters should wear or how they should look...

And outfits not making sense to the environment isn't new to MGS with Vulcan and Liquid in MGS1 being shirtless while Snake is wearing an suit designed to prevent hypothermia.

Surely you can tell the difference between a small section of the game where someone's stripped naked against their will for torture, which is then played for laughs when they're cartwheeling around whilst coving their crotch and all the promotional material of the only female character revealed in the game featuring her dressed like a half clothed hooker despite being a female soldier in a desert.

Yes, I can. Because honestly? The first one is kinda worse. Imagine if it was a STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER being stripped naked complete with a ton of accidental censorship gags, then you had to roam around with her bare ass sticking out at all times while she covers up her modesty and can just outright not attack anyone due to being too embarrassed to show her junk.
And even then, it's not like Raiden's skintight bodysuit is very respectable in the first place. You can say male nudity=played for laughs, but keep in mind Raiden was designed with a female audience in mind.

marrec

Banned
Again, I don't think the problem is that she's wearing a bikini. Nothing wrong with a sexy character in a vacuum...

I think the problem is that Kojima made the designer sex her up more, he intentionally went out of his way to say 'Her design is not going to be about her character, but about how many pervs buy her statue'. It's indicative of a problem within not only video games, but other media as well.

I'm sorry, but WTF is wrong with you?

What? That's why Kojima sexed her up more. His intentions are clear.

Cartman86

Banned
I'll probably get flamed for this but I think the "femnist" shit needs to stop. This stuff has never been an issue in video games until about 2 years ago and I don't understand why we're suddenly having to tip toe and cater to please everybody. Sure, Kojima's character design is questionable at times but he's always been like that.

I should also note that these kinds of things aren't a big deal in Japanese culture. Kojima is a Japanese developer and he shouldn't have to feel bad about his work because people are "offended" by his character design choices.

lol you funny.

But yeah all that we've seen so far with Quiet just seems gross. Really curious what Ellis's response would be to Cortana though. Obviously he had nothing to do with her design, but hmmmmm...

EDIT: Ultimately don't care if someone is being hypocritical if their point is still valid. Especially if it's being dismissed because of the hypocrisy. Which is what seems to happen in every thread. Waving the hands. Nothing to see here. Look over there! They are doing it too!

We will see how this game turns out. If the sexy is more than just attractive women. Modern men in combat will at times wear very little as well.

I wonder if this behavior began pre or post "video game tropes vs women"? It seems that suddenly we have a bunch of GAFfers that need to go out of their way to share how concerned they are. Frankly, I play video games as a way to relax and escape, and a woman wearing Victoria's Secret to the battlefield doesn't bother me. In fact, I'll just come out and say I enjoy it. There is room enough in the gaming industry for all sorts of titles, and if I want to engage in a male power fantasy I'm not going to have the guy who makes one of the most dude-bro titles out there make me feel guilty about it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
point? Thats the appearance that AI chose, and he's new to the series. Putting a parka on cortona at this point in the series would be completely ridiculous, and 343 would have gotten even more flack.

You're acting like these characters have actual input on this. Cortana "chose" to be naked, because the developers chose to have her choose to be naked. The other AI "chose" to have clothes because the developers chose to have him choose to have clothes.

Whatever you think of the actual character designs, don't shift the blame and/or credit onto the characters when the characters are just creations.

Dude is probably better off not wearing pants

You laugh, but that dude is the only one who gets the girl in the end.

Speaking of well realized female soldiers in MGS.

dLqD9wM.gif

Again, I don't think the problem is that she's wearing a bikini. Nothing wrong with a sexy character in a vacuum...

I think the problem is that Kojima made the designer sex her up more, he intentionally went out of his way to say 'Her design is not going to be about her character, but about how many pervs buy her statue'. It's indicative of a problem within not only video games, but other media as well.

Have you seen some of Shinkawa's Sniper Wolf concept art? There is one of her just just sitting there naked. Shinkawa doesn't need Kojima's direction to make a character sexualised.

I think the fact that it is just japanese culture so we shouldn't care is not an accurate assessment, it doesn't invalidate the fact that it is still questionable.

It's fair to think it's questionable or that some don't like it, but that's par-for-course for every aspect and themes used in storytelling for any game.

Honestly, I just think it's stupid because it's not like this is anything new to Kojima. Kojima's been doing this sort of shit for the past 15 years.

Azih

I honestly think the 'is this sexist or not?' issue is pointless and besides the point.

These sorts of hyper stylised characters giving young people body image issues on the other hand is a very real problem and that's a completely other, much more relevant, topic.

The Halo 3 design was just as sexual as the Halo 4 design. The art style just changed, and among the many changes to Master Chief, the Covenant, the Forerunners, the UNSC Soilders, the ships, Cortana was changed to a more realistic style (like everything else in Halo 4). I don't see the problem. Cortana's design in Halo 4 was a natural evolution from her design in Halo 3.

I don't see how any of this matters, David didn't design Cortana, he didn't create her, and Cortana is literally one of the best female characters in gaming. Smart, Independent, and Confident, and a vital part of the series, just as important as Master Chief. Hell I'd argue that Cortana does more in the series THAN Chief.

Demon Ice

Banned
Can anyone make a summary for me? I was at work,looks all entertaining here.

A guy who works for a company that produced a game with an extremely over-sexualized character in it complained about MGS V having an over-sexualized character in it. He also bemoaned it as "what's wrong with the gaming industry".

Evil Beaver

I honestly believe that Kojima doesn't give a single flying fuck. Excuse my language.

BHZ Mayor

Can you point to where this was stated, or are you just projecting?

nbraun80

1. Precedent is not a good reason to stand by something.

2. Halo 4 Cortana does not look like Bungie Cortana anyway, so even if your logic held up, what has actually happened doesn't follow that logic. Making her tits and ass bigger is "living up to" something?
except for not following precedents in things like the MP is what got a lot of people pissed at 343, so precedent can be good. Bungies cortona changed a bit from halo to halo too. Its not like her breasts weren't out in the open in the other models.

Akai__

calling people manchildren isnt criticism, anyone who attempts to start any debate about anything by calling the other side manchildren or 14 year olds or any kind of ad hominem isnt helping anything anywhere ever.

The problem was the hypocresy of that statement and the tone of self rightius

I stand to my point. You guys wouldn't give it that much attention, if some random person tweeted this/made this statement. It would get some replies and people would probably discuss it, but it wouldn't reach ~1200 posts.

I know his statement, was a little bit off, but come one guys, you are making such a drama about it...

Ithil

Because they are doing exactly what Kojima is doing, but they are not being honest about the applications.

Cortana's design became significantly sexier so they can appeal to the younger male demographic. Same reason they adjusted the gameplay to be more in line with Call of Duty.
Well, that much is obvious, but that they're pretending otherwise is annoying. At least Kojima is up front with it.

Jaleel

Aaaannd again the industry is put back another 10 years in an instant. Fucks sake, this is what a 15 year old would design as a female soldier. Kojima you are a pervert, stop getting your artists to create your own sexual fantasies and grow up.

I never understand this type of logic. When films, such as the likes of Sucker Punch, are made do they set the film industry back 10 years? Does it prohibit in anyway the making of more serious films? Do films such as Saving Private Ryan get lambasted for being in the same medium as Scott Pilgrim vs The World?

I think the obvious answer to these questions is a resounding, "No". So why do we act so differently when it regards to video games? The eccentric character design in MGS5 has no baring on anything else other than itself. It doesn't somehow have a net negative on the video game industry as a whole. The video game industry isn't some monolith entity which dictates the creation of only certain types of games. Kojima clearly wanted this character designed a specific way, and if it displeases you that's perfectly fine. There are other games out there that probably suit your tastes.

meppi

That's a bit of a cop-out isn't it?

Same could be said about Quiet.
She's a female soldier who just happens to prefer to go to battle in a thong, a bra, pantyhose and army boots, nothing more.

In the end, yes, Kojima Productions is 100% responsible for her look, but so it 343 for Cortana's.

Not that any of it phases me at all as I like the designs and don't have a problem with them in the least.
Just don't like how one of the persons on one team can shit on another teams work when they are just a "guilty" of what they are accusing others of doing.

And as a couple of other people have pointed out, it's becoming a thing nowadays for western industry people, be that developers or "journalists" to point out certain things about Japanese developers or design choices and belittle them or talk about them like they are the lowest of the low.
Bit of a disgusting trend in it's own right.

Cortana in Halo is different from other AI in the Halo universe. She's a clone of Dr Halsey in mechanical form. Halsey is vain, but at the time she creates Cortana she was already old and one of the things she was vain about, her looks, had already deteriorated due to age. Since Cortana is a clone of Halsey she is also vain and prideful, and also angry because she is clone and an ai which means she doesn't get to live a long life. Cortana makes herself look like a young naked version of Halsey because its the only way she can get back at Halsey.
So wait until mgs5 is out and I have a feeling we're going to get lengthy codec conversation about Quiet's lack of clothing.

Ithil

Eva is still showing off her boobs

And it isn't very sexy, given she's now an old woman. I think there's a difference between "showing off because that's just her design" and "showing off because she's written that way", too. Eva in MGS 3 has breast implants and is showing them off specifically to get into Snake's head. Cortana is naked because....she is.

Valhelm

contribute something
I was actually really disappointed that the male AI was clothed. I assumed they would all be nude, to represent the ideal human.

daycru

I never understand this type of logic. When films, such as the likes of Sucker Punch, are made do they set the film industry back 10 years? Does it prohibit in anyway the making of more serious films? Do films such as Saving Private Ryan get lambasted for being in the same medium as Scott Pilgrim vs The World?

I think the obvious answer to these questions is a resounding, "No". So why do we act so differently when it regards to video games? The eccentric character design in MGS5 has no baring on anything else other than itself. It doesn't somehow have a net negative on the video game industry as a whole. The video game industry isn't some monolith entity which dictates the creation of only certain types of games. Kojima clearly wanted this character designed a specific way, and if it displeases you that's perfectly fine. There are other games out there that probably suit your tastes.

Some are really insecure about liking video games.

Top Bottom