• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I believe that "Wii" will eventually go down as one of the biggest blunders in marketing history. This has nothing to do with the hardcore or the casual audience. "Wii" as a name is seen as a noun, not a pronoun. The automatic association of the word "Wii" is of negative ones (small, urine, penis, whichever you prefer) in the English language. It's not because it's immature to think that. There are no other meanings in that context.

This is the EXACT equivalent (eerily so) to Ford launching a car infamously known as the "Pinto" in Brazil (which meant small male sex organ). They got roasted for it, and rightfully so.

If Nintendo wants to branch out and call it a name that has nothing to do with game consoles, I applaud and encourage that. But it HAS to be more memorable, more prouncable, and free of negative stigma.

Lambtron said:
As I think about it more, I like it more.

The logo is slick, I love how the name looks in the logo, but not normally typed.

Doesn't matter what it's called, I'll be waggin' my wand all over this fall.

Do you guys grow in pods or something?

whoever it was who said about 15 pages back that this will ultimately lead to a stronger branding of Nintendo was right. just think - if you call up your local game shop would you rather ask for "Madden for Wii" or the new "madden for Nintendo".

Or, if you are bringing up the system with friends - "hey guys, want to play some Wii" or "want to play some Nintendo"?

at least, that's the way I see it at this early stage.

Kevtones

10 hours after hearing the name Wii I've come to realize my initial knee-jerk hatred is simply a knee-jerk reaction.

Wii breaks the mold for game systems. There hasn't been a (mainstream) system since the Genesis to break the mold of naming. Honestly, Wii won't make a shit-ounce of sense to anyone who sees it. And thats why its a great name. People, when they are confused as fuck, but who are partially curious, want to know what the thing (in this case the Wii) will be.

Now those who know what a Wii is, should, and hopefully will judge by the system/games itself, not its name. But those, SPECIFICALLY the new audiences Nintendo is targeting, will actually take note of the Wii because of its name.

Non-gamers will see Xbox360, Playstation 3 commercials and they know what they're getting, 'another one of those superpower videogaming things'. When a non-gamer sees Wii advertisement, they won't know what the fuck it is because it doesn't even hint that its a videogame system, until they see the Nintendo logo. However, if Nintendo can someone, through advertising new audience enticing games before revealing that its a 'game machine', they'll have both attention, and a selling point.

My wording is poor, but I think I see exactly what Nintendo is doing and I think its....brilliant.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
roflmao2.gif

but its no worse than Wega or Vega (VVega?). nobody knows how to pronounce that shit either ;)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
People need to have more faith in NCL/NOA. Its not like they didn't put a tremendous amount of thought into this decision. They knew full well that internet-peeps and alot of the gamer-press would give them hell for naming it Wii. Yet they went ahead anyways. That shows alot of confidence that this branding strategy will sell the right number of product to the right consumers.

You really think Nintendo is "surprised" by all this negative reaction?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What it reminds me of is the segment on Tarrant On TV in UK (sure you have the equivalent of this in other countries), which makes fun of foreign television, and they show you the adverts for some toothpaste or something called 'Shiite'. And everyone goes "Oh those funny foreigners!".

In fact Nintendo just go and call it Shiite, you can still have your 2 i's.

Kevtones said:
10 hours after hearing the name Wii I've come to realize my initial knee-jerk hatred is simply a knee-jerk reaction.

Wii breaks the mold for game systems. There hasn't been a (mainstream) system since the Genesis to break the mold of naming. Honestly, Wii won't make a shit-ounce of sense to anyone who sees it. And thats why its a great name. People, when they are confused as fuck, but who are partially curious, want to know what the thing (in this case the Wii) will be.

Now those who know what a Wii is, should, and hopefully will judge by the system/games itself, not its name. But those, SPECIFICALLY the new audiences Nintendo is targeting, will actually take note of the Wii because of its name.

Non-gamers will see Xbox360, Playstation 3 commercials and they know what they're getting, 'another one of those superpower videogaming things'. When a non-gamer sees Wii advertisement, they won't know what the fuck it is because it doesn't even hint that its a videogame system, until they see the Nintendo logo. However, if Nintendo can someone, through advertising new audience enticing games before revealing that its a 'game machine', they'll have both attention, and a selling point.

My wording is poor, but I think I see exactly what Nintendo is doing and I think its....brilliant.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3224054&postcount=1037

I won't be losing the arm. Awesome.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Shadow said:
Do you guys grow in pods or something?
Please don't group me with Gahgiddy, et al. I love peripheral games (light gun, Bemani, etc) and I love my DS, so I'm pretty excited to see what Nintendo brings to the table at E3. They're a business, not my father, I'm not going to defend them to the bitter end, or whatever. I'll just buy the stuff they put out that interests me. Same with Microsoft, same with Sony. And Wii interests me a great deal, so I'll get one.

Also: W - I - I = 23 - 9 - 9 = 5 = 5th console N-N-N-N-NINTENDO!!!!!111!11!!1111

kablooey

Haha, so I guess anyone who defends this is a blind Wiibot, and everyone else is otherwise fair and balanced. :lol

I don't think there'll be any problem really with the system's name taking off in the mainstream. Sure, the hardcore will probably never get over it, but they'll have to anyway if they want to play any of the games for it. I still don't even like the name (and Nintendo is hardly the only gaming company I care about), but I can see that for what it's trying to achieve, it'll most likely work. Plus, if we were to take GAF's opinion as fact, the DS would have never become popular, as it would've been seen as too gimmicky and underpowered compared to the PSP.

Gahiggidy said:
People need to have more faith in NCL/NOA. Its not like they didn't put a tremendous amount of thought into this decision. They knew full well that internet-peeps and alot of the gamer-press would give them hell for naming it Wii. Yet they went ahead anyways. That shows alot of confidence that this branding strategy will sell the right number of product to the right consumers.

You really think Nintendo is "surprised" by all this negative reaction?

Yeah, Perrin Kaplan already said they expected to hear lots of criticism, but that it'll be something people will grow used too...
I'm getting fond of it already myself.

If Nintendo wants to branch out and call it a name that has nothing to do with game consoles, I applaud and encourage that. But it HAS to be more memorable, more prouncable, and free of negative stigma.

This is what I mentioned earlier in the thread, they really fucked up in what they were trying to acomplish with the name of the console.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Lambtron said:
Please don't group me with Gahgiddy, et al. .....
:\

Since when do I defend Nintendo "no matter what"? I've given plenty of criticism to Nintendo. Everything from thier lame GCN advertising to thier sluggish release schedule. I'm honest.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
kablooey said:
Haha, so I guess anyone who defends this is a blind Wiibot

the term is "wiitard" -- it's the best thing to come of all this, and i won't have you squander it. there's never been a derogatory term for nintendo fans that rolls off the tongue quite like "xbot." until now!

CrisKre

After more thought I will also add:

Wii works cause it is completely neutral.

Revolution, Playstation and Xbox are clearly masculine words. They relate to a certain demographic.

Wii is neutral in terms of gender and *gasp* age as well. Like ipod.

They may be on to something. They have to make sure they market it well. ipod levels well. If not they are in for trouble.
Now, if done right this just might take off indeed.... And im also a marketing major. Its exciting.... interesting, bold choice. Lets see what they do with it.

drohne said:
the term is "wiitard" -- it's the best thing to come of all this, and i won't have you squander it. there's never been a derogatory term for nintendo fans that rolls off the tongue quite like "xbot." until now!

Seriously. If I can say one good thing about "Wii", it's that Wiitard works much better than Nintard.

kablooey

Right, I'm still coming to terms with all these new words, give me time. Wiitard is definitely a stroke of genius, I must say. :lol

Gahiggidy

CrisKre said:

Revolution, Playstation and Xbox are clearly masculine words. They relate to a certain demographic.

They may be on to something. They have to make sure they market it well. ipod levels well. If not they are in for trouble.
Now, if done right this just might take off indeed.... And im also a marketing major. Its exciting.... interesting, bold choice. Lets see what they do with it.
Yeah, unfortunately I haven't been too impressed with NOA's DS marketing so far... well, mostly the early stuff. Overall, I've thought that it is too serious and a little abstract (but not as bad as the GCN ads). The JPN DS ads on the otherhand our great. NOA should just tell Leo Burnett to localize whatever NCL's ad-company comes up with. Betcha' that Wii animated movie came out of Japan.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
CrisKre said:

How can you think Wii is a neutral word? :lol

Flo_Evans

CrisKre said:

I don't mean to single you out but this seems like the exact sort of thing a person going to school for marketing with no real world experience would come up with!

BorkBork said:
I believe that "Wii" will eventually go down as one of the biggest blunders in marketing history. This has nothing to do with the hardcore or the casual audience. "Wii" as a name is seen as a noun, not a pronoun. The automatic association of the word "Wii" is of negative ones (small, urine, penis, whichever you prefer) in the English language. It's not because it's immature to think that. There are no other meanings in that context.

This is the EXACT equivalent (eerily so) to Ford launching a car infamously known as the "Pinto" in Brazil (which meant small male sex organ). They got roasted for it, and rightfully so.

Great post, and well-put.

BTW, I remember when the remote was revealed, and I initially hated it, but I warmed up to it throughout the day. However, Wii still remains an unbearably stupid name to me at the end of this day. It just isn't an appealing name...at all. As a huge Nintendo fan, I really hope this name decision doesn't bite them in the ass later on.

E-phonk

Banned
For what it's worth, my girlfriend really likes the name, and said it's a serious improvement over geeky toysnames like "playstation" and "revolution".

"Super, sounds fun" was her initial reaction (she did like the gaf jokes and photoshops tough :lol ).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Okay.

One day later and i'm turned around. Wii is a great name and shows vision and creativity. It's approachable and friendly. Certainly better then PS3 or Xbox 360.

CrisKre

don't mean to single you out but this seems like the exact sort of thing a person going to school for marketing with no real world experience would come up with!

You did single me out, and I have real word experience at the marketing department of *brace urself* Nintendo. 6 years at that son. hahaha. Im serious. I know what im talking about. I also studied and interned in some of the most prestigious mktng companies in latin america.

We will see who is right. I will stand by what I say. Wii has personality. The product itself its unique and distinctive. Now rthe name also is. They have to tie them together in peoples minds, and they have a unified percieved difference in consumers minds. They are going away from the pack (xbox & Playstation). A lot of thought has been put into this and now its starting to show. Its a plan, and a well rounded and risky one.

I believe it will pay off. This people have direction now (not so much while I was working there).

Crocodile

The Shadow said:

I'm confused. Are people like not allowed to change their minds? Not saying I think it's the a great name or anything but people are allowed to change their minds over things if they learn more about or think more about something. Why weren't people allowed to change their mind on Celda? Why aren't people allowed to change their minds on names either?

Oh and GAF is screwed if this thread brought it to its knees earlier in the day. We better get those new severs online pronto.

maxmars

Holy wii at the thread length, no way I'm going to read all that! :lol

Anyway, you expected the Nintendo aRSe and got the wee instead.. Happy now? :lol :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
CrisKre said:
You did single me out, and I have real word experience at the marketing department of *brace urself* Nintendo. 6 years at that son. hahaha. Im serious. I know what im talking about.

Wait, doesn't that prove you know nothing about marketing?

I think the best part is saying

wwwwhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I wonder if thatll be the bootup noise.

Gahiggidy

the androgyne said:
Same concept, new name, better colours, no fecal associations.

friiplay.gif

ALL YOURS FOR FREE, NINTENDO, TAKE IT!!!!

TAKKEEEE ITTT!
Friiplay can be easily confused with PlayStation.

No dice.

CrisKre

Wait, doesn't that prove you know nothing about marketing?

hahaha, I see what u did there sir. And no. It was nintendo latin america. Not much room for desisions in a grand scale. We did what we could. And im very proud of my work, thank u very much!

*spits and runs away

Zilch

Banned
E-phonk said:
For what it's worth, my girlfriend really likes the name, and said it's a serious improvement over geeky toysnames like "playstation" and "revolution".

"Super, sounds fun" was her initial reaction (she did like the gaf jokes and photoshops tough :lol ).

My girlfriend isn't a gamer but she said basically the same thing (that it sounds like a fine name for a piece of consumer electronics). Really, it's only videogamers throwing fits about it. Of course, most gamers are guys which explains the preoccupation with the phallic 'wee' (OMG LOL).

Dear GAF,

I laughed my ass off for about 5 hours when I saw the name. I'm still cracking wii jokes.

But you know, I like it. It's not pretentious, it's funny and it's mysterious. If Nintendo can market this right, the Wii could really sell.

Yours sincerely,

A random wiitard

Gahiggidy

jamesinclair said:
I think the best part is saying

wwwwhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I wonder if thatll be the bootup noise.
You know, you could probably create a eletronic startup "chime" that sounds alot like Wiiiiiii. You know, like the chimes that PS2 and Xbox. An electronic "do'oing" for PS2 and cracking-earth for Xbox.

The Shadow said:

You might've had a point. If it hadn't happened with Dreamcast. Or the PS2. Or the Xbox. As it stands, all you're pointing out is the trend of gamers not liking new console names upon their initial unveilings, and that they eventually warm up to them. Yeah, that's right - no matter which company is making the system.

But you'll probably just ignore this post and continue to act smug.

EDIT: Mods, please change my name to Virgin Wii. At your leisure, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom