• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

Lakuza

New set of Soundboxing challenges, at my correct height for the first time (my height was calibrated incorrectly up until last week lol so I couldn't pick things off the floor in games like onward because I was floating about a foot above the ground apparently).

Artika.1 Dev diary on why they chose Node teleporation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=260&v=XMFQVYiuExo
I understand why they chose to not use free/full locomotion as they dont want to make a perctange of players motion sick, so they built the game around teleportation (weaving it into the narrative).

But, their reason for node teleportation over free teleportation is bullshit. They chose node because players were misjudging the distance to interactive objects when teleporting and were having to teleport another time to get close enough. This is so easily fixable, mages tale had a snap feature for its teleportation where the teleport target circle would turn orange and snap infront of the object to let you know thats the perfect spot. So they're pretty much treating players like idiots :(

Gunheart October "Loot" Update vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXL3ykXxTO0
Really looking forward to jumping back into this game soon, theres been so many new updates/ additions since I last played it. Nice to see you can use the "control projecticle" feature of the crossbow with other guns now.

Any good cheap clamp mounts for Oculus sensors?
I'm using this one for 2 of my sensors that are positioned on a high shelf looking down on the play area:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MR0VPOQ/

If you're in the uk, theres one available on game.co.uk which is a little more expensive than the amazon one but its better in quality (i'm using one of this one and the amazon version for the second sensor). I cant link to the game version since the site is under maintenance right now. Either one are good though, they are sturdy and hold the sensor in place perfectly, I haven't had to mess with mine since I first got the rift back in July (or whenever that big sale was).

My third sensor is then wall mounted with this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N4IOQP6/

So i will eventually buy Project cars 2, Im big into racing but havent purchased yet as i want to get more play time out of F1 2017.

Is Raw Data worth it? Im really not keen on wave stuff for example even thought Robo Recall was cool i wouldnt want to play more of that sort of thing for more than 3 hours.

It iss mostly a wave game, normally based in a small arena but offers 4 different playstyles and online co-op. A few missions feature or larger, linear environment where you go from point A to B but these are probably only 2-3 missions at most from memory.

Robo recall is slightly different since its more like an arcade game with highscores. Raw data is more survival since you have to defend a node in every mission.

If you're tired of wave based games I would probably give this game a pass.

You might want to look into gunheart though, which is a point A to B fps game where you choose a mission from a hub and load into the mission which are big environments to explore (I usually describe it as Borderlands + Destiny + Warframe). whilst it lacks swords, it has a good selection of weapons and allows 3 player co-op. It is in early access though since July/August this year but its being updated each month. I've posted an update vid above from the devs.

stoke1863

It iss mostly a wave game, normally based in a small arena but offers 4 different playstyles and online co-op. A few missions feature or larger, linear environment where you go from point A to B but these are probably only 2-3 missions at most from memory.

Robo recall is slightly different since its more like an arcade game with highscores. Raw data is more survival since you have to defend a node in every mission.

If you're tired of wave based games I would probably give this game a pass.

You might want to look into gunheart though, which is a point A to B fps game where you choose a mission from a hub and load into the mission which are big environments to explore (I usually describe it as Borderlands + Destiny + Warframe). whilst it lacks swords, it has a good selection of weapons and allows 3 player co-op. It is in early access though since July/August this year but its being updated each month. I've posted an update vid above from the devs.

Thanks man, Raw data sounds like a pass to me. How is Gunheart as a single player game? I don't really enjoy co-op as I really enjoy gaming for escapism and immersion this is why Lone Echo has been one of my fav games this year.

Gunheart does look good though, good use of locomotion.

Lakuza

Thanks man, Raw data sounds like a pass to me. How is Gunheart as a single player game? I don't really enjoy co-op as I really enjoy gaming for escapism and immersion this is why Lone Echo has been one of my fav games this year.

Gunheart does look good though, good use of locomotion.

I've completed every mission solo in gunheart before I took a break from it to allow it build up more content. The hardest mission at the time was called Marathon and it took me 20 minutes to do it solo and it felt so good (I was using an electric bow that shot out 3 arrows with aoe stuns whilst speeding about at the speeds you move around in DOOM).

The game has additional challenge missions like the wave based "defend 3 points" mission (before you panic, this isn't the main gameplay, its just additional missions meant to be played in co-op and grinding for currency) that are difficult to defend all 3 points alone.

The basic gameplay loop (and I'm really breaking it down to the core basics)for gunheart is:

1. Start game in an online shared hub (where you can upgrade your character, equip cosmetics, buy and upgrade weapons).
  2. Select a mission from the Job Store in the hub (select private for single player)
  3. Leave shared hub and enter mission world
  4. Progress through the area (mountain like areas, cave like areas, facilities etc) taking out enemies along your way
  5. Complete mission and get rewarded with $ based on enemies killed, secret money kegs broken etc
  6. return to shared hub to upgrade and get new weapons
  7. select a new mission (unlocked or old missions) > repeat.

The devs mentioned in the past that they may consider adding an offline hub for players to hang out in alone, not sure if its been added yet but its on their list.

Missions have sub objectives in them too. You might come across a facility full of alien eggs that you need to get rid of as they start hatching. Destroying them all will unlock the barrier preventing your progress. Another time you may be ambushed by hordes of aliens where you need to quickly run to the next objective point to avoid getting overwhelmed. All through the chaos you can find money kegs hidden all over the environment (some are in some really clever areas where you think you're going where the dev doesnt want you and then you see 3-4 money kegs waiting for you lol), since you can teleport to areas you can't get to by foot, theres tons of secret areas to find.

There were about 15 missions when I last played it but since then they've added weekly missions too (change weekly with special modifiers) and they're also adding in mission modifier options (like allowing enemies to have 1 shot kill bullets, poison bullets, all sniper enemies etc). The story is told through the dialogue of your assisant and its bare bones to justify the mission you're doing, its a game focused on gameplay over story so don't expect any storyline like lone echo.

Plasma

Banned
Hoping the reviews for ARKTIKA.1 are good. Haven't pre-ordered it as I want to know how long the game lasts before buying it. After skimming through a 45 min gameplay preview(which covered the opening to the game + mission 1) it looks quite fun despite the node teleportation.
It might be too late to preorder now but if you're interested in an oculus game but are waiting for the reviews it's probably worth preordering anyway for the discount. Then if the reviews come in and it's bad or too short you can just get a refund as long as you do it within 14 days and play less than two hours.

Lakuza

It might be too late to preorder now but if you're interested in an oculus game but are waiting for the reviews it's probably worth preordering anyway for the discount. Then if the reviews come in and it's bad or too short you can just get a refund as long as you do it within 14 days and play less than two hours.

yeah I know, its only like a £3-4 discount though so nothing special. If it turns out to be a good game, I'm happy to pay full price instead of going through the hassle of refunding.

Durante

I still disagree with the categorization of Raw Data as a "Wave Shooter". Yes, there are waves, but after the first two or three levels movement around larger areas is paramount to success, and that isn't really something that people think when you tell them that a game is a "wave shooter".

It's also the best VR action game bar none. Amazing skill progression and great coop.

Lakuza

Oculus connect 4 is starting tommorrow (11th-12th) so there could be some big announcements. Is it worth creating a seperate thread for the conferences (perhaps drawing in new posters for vr discussion?)

I still disagree with the categorization of Raw Data as a "Wave Shooter". Yes, there are waves, but after the first two or three levels movement around larger areas is paramount to success, and that isn't really something that people think when you tell them that a game is a "wave shooter".

It's also the best VR action game bar none. Amazing skill progression and great coop.

its how the devs themselves described it recently on reddit too, since you're stuck in one location with no point a to b it is essentially round based. I didn't actually think of it that way that people associate games where you stand still as wave shooters. I classify killing floor as a wave shooter which requires moving around an "arena", but i can see your point too especially when it comes to the vr catalogue.

SomTervo

Is anyone here running VR with an AMD graphics card?

If so, how is it working for you?

Yep.

Raw Data starts as a wave shooter for 1-2 levels but it becomes a tower defence game with decent depth then starts mixing in other agility/dexterity-based gameplay.

Don't agree with this, though.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Oculus connect 4 is starting tommorrow (11th-12th) so there could be some big announcements. Is it worth creating a seperate thread for the conferences (perhaps drawing in new posters for vr discussion?)

its how the devs themselves described it recently on reddit too, since you're stuck in one location with no point a to b it is essentially round based. I didn't actually think of it that way that people associate games where you stand still as wave shooters. I classify killing floor as a wave shooter which requires moving around an "arena", but i can see your point too especially when it comes to the vr catalogue.

I feel its threadworthy, last year they showed off many breaking stuffs so this year i think they are holding some surprises

Oculus Rift won VR headset of the year yesterday at the VR awards, so I am expecting many braggings lol

Synth

To be fair, that sounds more like its just the fault of other games in the sub-genre then. I'd describe Geometry Wars as a wave shooter (well, if I didn't opt for twin-stick shooter instead), and it's not as though you remain stationary in that either.

Lakuza

New soundboxing challenges:

Someone turn on the Lakuza beacon!!!

how is ARKTIKA.1?

lol XD

I didn't pre-order it since I was waiting on reviews, as I didn't know the games length and I don't like the node teleportation(especially after their bullshit reason for no free teleportation, I can understand why they chose not to use full locomotion). But from what i've read its getting good reviews and seems to range from 5-8 hours in length on easy difficulty. Also about the difficulty; people are complaining the game is too easy and it turns out the game defaults to easy difficulty for some strange reason. So for anyone who gets the game, don't forget to turn the difficulty up.

Some users on reddit are reporting issues with the game though from weird physics, incorrect scaling so players heads are sticking through the roof of a vehicle etc so it's worth waiting a week for those on the fence, to see what the impressions are after the initial launch hype.

Considering its around 8 hours for reviewers (who typically tend to rush through),I will most likely buy it on the weekend depending on how busy I'm likely to be this month at work. I'll probably wait longer to buy the game, or wait for a sale since I have "from other suns" pre-ordered.

I feel its threadworthy, last year they showed off many breaking stuffs so this year i think they are holding some surprises

Oculus Rift won VR headset of the year yesterday at the VR awards, so I am expecting many braggings lol

Definitely worth its own thread.

I did a quick search and there's no thread made yet. Should I make one? (I still feel like a junior member though, I've never created my own thread here lol). If no one wants to make it, I could create one and make some banner images and stuff so it looks like an official topic.

low-G

Finally got around to trying Headmaster on PC. I've been jealous of PSVR owners since it launched. It's everything I'd hoped.

I mean it's really a simple concept, and it requires inhuman accuracy, but I love how perfect the physics are. Feels good to play.

Only the tiniest dabbling in Arktika1, will play more later tonight. Fantastic interactivity and visuals / VR graphics impression.

Also, yeah, the action of Robo Recall blows Raw Data away completely. Do not know how you could even suggest otherwise. But Raw Data has a different sort of gameplay, it's also very good and different enough from Robo Recall to warrant both. Robo Recall is like Contra while Raw Data is Left 4 Dead.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Finally got around to trying Headmaster on PC. I've been jealous of PSVR owners since it launched. It's everything I'd hoped.

I mean it's really a simple concept, and it requires inhuman accuracy, but I love how perfect the physics are. Feels good to play.

Only the tiniest dabbling in Arktika1, will play more later tonight. Fantastic interactivity and visuals / VR graphics impression.

Also, yeah, the action of Robo Recall blows Raw Data away completely. Do not know how you could even suggest otherwise. But Raw Data has a different sort of gameplay, it's also very good and different enough from Robo Recall to warrant both. Robo Recall is like Contra while Raw Data is Left 4 Dead.

When I tried to buy Arktika, it warned me that I needed a 7 foot by 5 foot play area. Is that true? Does it require you to physically move around a lot?

low-G

I like Arktika. Sorta 'Time Crisis Metro', with decent environment interactivity (in both the later Time Crisis environment destruction and in special VR objects) and some nice weapon upgrades and items and such. Probably the best looking VR game to boot!

When I tried to buy Arktika, it warned me that I needed a 7 foot by 5 foot play area. Is that true? Does it require you to physically move around a lot?

No moving around required, but you may want to a tiny bit. Biggest limit for very small play areas will be that you are required to reach full arms lengths in all forward directions. Oculus setup reports my space is 7 by 5, which I call 'standing room plus'. It's only enough to reach many items in Arktika (as opposed to not actually having enough room and scraping buy in experiences like Job Simulator and Rick & Morty). But I haven't bumped any walls or anything playing Arktika either. If you have 7 by 5 you're good.

Lakuza

Eternity Warriors devs are handing out 10 free keys to the game on the oculus reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/75m839/free_keys_for_eternity_warriors_vr_time_to_join/.
They've posted one key so far which was claimed by someone, so 9 left. Seems like they're posting one per day and way too early for me to grab one since the first key they posted was at 4am where I live, lol. I think they're steam keys (not 100% sure) so good luck getting one :)

------

Also found this on reddit, a way to increase the supersampling since traytool's sampling doesnt work and the game locks the value to its graphics quality setting (most of the time its set below 1.0 apparently).

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/75l0c4/hidden_artika1_graphics_setting/

Hello! Just stumbled upon a comment by MadMax1998 at RoadToVR who pointed out that there are more graphics settings available under:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\4A Games\Arktika.1

And you can change some additional settings in the user.cfg file

As some people have noticed the supersampling gets dynamically changed and on all graphics settings and it seems like it can go below 1.0 on all graphic settings except at "Extreme" where the minimum SS value is at 1.0

The following lines may be interesting:

r_aq_max_ss 1.39999998
r_aq_max_ss_ex 1.39999998
r_aq_max_ss_hi 1.39999998
r_aq_max_ss_lo 1.
r_aq_min_ss 0.75
r_aq_min_ss_ex 1.
r_aq_min_ss_hi 0.875
r_aq_min_ss_lo 0.5

This could explain the blurriness on lower graphic settings.

PS: interestingly there seem to be a lot of settings that touch upon gamepad and keyboard/mouse support, possibly remnants due to the engine used or just for testing purposes. The same file also mentions "Survival Mode" and "Ranger Mode"; the latter sounds like a remnant from the Metro Series

Also, don't forget the game starts in easy mode by default (so turn it up if you find the game is too easy, which is a common complaint).

I'm also seeing more and more complaints about the world scale being off with hands and npc heads being too big.

Plasma

Banned
The hand size feels like GORN but in that game it feels like they're supposed to be comically oversized.

I'm enjoying what I played so far the shooting mechanics are really solid and there are a bunch of interaction points in the environment. As simple as it is smashing the emergency door release glass to pull down a lever feels oddly satisfying.

You find a bunch of different items in the missions as well that you can bring back to your tower hub just to play around with. So far I've found
a record that you can stick in a record player back at the tower and then you can scratch the disc while it's playing. The other thing I found was a spray paint can which you can use to spray your weapons and the gloves you're wearing different colours.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
With all the cool info on today and recently, I'd like to throw my Steam and Oculus username out there. I don't have any friends with VR, as I'm a Single Player type person. Tajaz11 for both Steam and Oculus.

Lakuza

Game Announcements so far from oculus connect 4. keynote is over but there may be more announcements over these 2 days.

• Onward coming to rift store next month
  • Stranger things experience coming to Face your fears
  • Echo Arena Expansion coming in 2018 - "Echo Combat"
  • Lone Echo story will continue, announcement coming soon. not sure if dlc or sequel.
  • COCO vr (Disney) announced for 2018
  • Unspoken (insomniac games( singleplayer campaign - winter 2017
  • Bladerunner 2049 Memory lab coming to rift
  • Marvel power united VR - Thor revealled and gladiator hulk
  • Respawn Entertainment partnering with oculus for a 2019 release game (war based)

Plus:

• Oculus Dash announced as the new "home", as part of the new system update for rift (titled Rift Core 2.0)
  • Oculus Dash is designed with touch in mind. Acts as a 3D overlay over whatever you're doing in rift.
  • Oculus Dash supports desktop access and apps
  • Oculus home rebuilt - Customisable with interactions and exploration. Can launch apps inside it and visit friends spaces too
  • New Oculus avatars announced (offers more diversity in options). Supports custom clothing accessories. launching in 2018.
  • Oculus avatars are cross platform so are usable on steam and daydream too
  • Platform level saftey tools announced for 2018 (blocking, report and friending). These are system wide.

Yooo! Windlands 2 trailer. Has multiplayer, combat, and NPCs. Looks pretty dope.

ArcticOrganicAsianwaterbuffalo-max-14mb.gif

FakePoshCowbird-max-14mb.gif

Lakuza

Longer trailer for Unspoken: Acololytes (single player campaign for Unspoken):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz5ejPGDWjk

The singleplayer expansion will be free:
https://insomniac.games/the-unspoken-acolytes/:
The demo is playable right now at Oculus Connect 4 in San Jose!

The Unspoken: Acolytes reveals the untold story of Chicago's secret spell-casting duels. You'll travel through neon alleys to face down other-dimensional Demons, cross vertigo-inducing rooftops to battle large-scale Wraiths, and sneak into hidden sanctums to investigate the murder of an acolyte.

You'll cast spells with your bare hands. From a finessed flick of the wrist to a visceral push, the play style is up to you &#8211; five classes channel their energies to cast over thirty spells. You'll levitate cars, unleash electricity, and see the future.

The Unspoken: Acolytes is designed with variable difficulty and selectable classes, for brand-new and experienced players alike. For new players, the chapter provides an ideal point of entry&#8212;a way to hone your skills before playing a competitive match. And for experienced players, the chapter offers more insight into the world of The Unspoken&#8212;a deeper look at the history of spell-casting classes, the duel, and the Astral Plane itself, with rewards that feed into The Unspoken PvP.

Best of all, The Unspoken: Acolytes story chapter is a FREE update for existing players, and included for purchase with the award-winning competitive game. Look for it later this year. In the meantime, download The Unspoken today in the Oculus Store.

The single-player game is our number one player request, and it's an experience we've wanted to make for a long time. But Arch-Mages, don't fret! We're still all-in on the competitive game, with more updates and more surprises just around the corner.

We'll see you in the Astral Plane!

ArtHands

Echo Combat looks to be a seperate title of its own from the (last sentence of) trailer description

https://youtu.be/731TPxk4TtE

“Published on Oct 11, 2017Newly announced from VR developers Ready at Dawn, Echo Combat is set to join Lone Echo and Echo Arena in their incredible zero-G VR universe.

The first two games in the franchise have already soared­–multiplayer Echo Arena won the 2017 E3 Game Critics Award “Best VR Game” and single-player zero-G adventure Lone Echo wowed critics with its deep storyline, incredible visuals, and unforgettable characters. Echo Combat is a VR title to watch in ’18.”

Lakuza

Echo Combat looks to be a seperate title of its own from the (last sentence of) trailer description

https://youtu.be/731TPxk4TtE

“Published on Oct 11, 2017Newly announced from VR developers Ready at Dawn, Echo Combat is set to join Lone Echo and Echo Arena in their incredible zero-G VR universe.

The first two games in the franchise have already soared­–multiplayer Echo Arena won the 2017 E3 Game Critics Award “Best VR Game” and single-player zero-G adventure Lone Echo wowed critics with its deep storyline, incredible visuals, and unforgettable characters. Echo Combat is a VR title to watch in ’18.”

oh wow, so we could be looking at an fps using the movement controls of lone echo :O Also feels like this is hinting at combat for lone echo 2 (or 1.5 if its dlc).

ArtHands

oh wow, so we could be looking at an fps using the movement controls of lone echo :O Also feels like this is hinting at combat for lone echo 2 (or 1.5 if its dlc).

I havent watch Oculus Connect, what did they say on stage?

Weird roadtovr is saying its just an expansion. Is this a misinterpretation? Perhaps when Oculus said “expansion” they mean expanding the lore/series with the new title, and not “expansion” in the sense of story dlc?
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-connect-echo-arena-fps-expansion-announced-lone-echo-teased/

Lakuza

I havent watch Oculus Connect, what did they say on stage?

Weird roadtovr is saying its just an expansion. Is this a misinterpretation? Perhaps when Oculus said ”expansion" they mean expanding the lore/series with the new title, and not ”expansion" in the sense of story dlc?
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-connect-echo-arena-fps-expansion-announced-lone-echo-teased/

they called it an expansion on stage implying it was dlc and then teased that lone echo's story will continue but didnt specify if its a sequel or dlc continuation of the story. It looks like they are letting Ready at Dawn announce it later during the event.
But the trailer description is definately interesting. :)

edit:

looks like you're right Arthands about it being a standalone entry to the echo series, they posted this in their blog:
Today, Ready At Dawn announced that they're taking what they've learned&#8212;and what we love&#8212;about VR action games and are dialing it up with Echo Combat, a competitive, zero-g multiplayer FPS set in the same world as these groundbreaking titles.

Stay tuned for even more news from the Echo-verse soon!

Super excited for this :D

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man I still need to get lone echo and revive working perfectly. Echo arena runs great but the campaign has always performed funny.

Yeah shooting with that movement system seems awesome.

Any word on the space pirate trainer 1.0 launch? Maybe midnight tonight? So excited for that shit.

ArtHands

I have tweeted Ready at Dawn, hopefully I can get an answer. I have no idea why the deliberated confusion and vague talk.

ArtHands

25% into the keynote now. Glad that Oculus is copying HTC Vive and making business bundles to push them to enterprises. Hopefully they will push it to VR arcade as it is a low cost way to introduce people to VR.

Grug

Man the cables from my Vive really piss me off sometimes :p

Nothing shatters that level of emotion like feeling the cord get stuck around your foot or hooked on the arm of your chair.

Lakuza

The Mage's Tale is £14.99 on sale.

Is it worth playing?

Yeah its definitely worth it at that price, especially If you like dungeon crawlers/ exploration, magic spells and solving puzzles. Plus its a 10 hour singleplayer campaign.

I posted a mini review in this thread a while back when I completed it, quoted below:

*SNIP* Cut most of the quote out so it doesnt clog up the page but follow the quote link to the original post for my full thoughts on it (you can skip the paragraph about the story if you want since it gives a brief synopsis about it which you might not want to know).

Overall, I really enjoyed the game and recommend it to anyone looking for a good adventure game in VR. It balances puzzle solving, exploration and combat well so that the 10 hours don't become a grind. New games will outshine this game when it comes to utilising motion controls for spellcasting but its exploration and secrets will be hard to beat for a while. Also its one of the few vr single player games that actually respects the consumers money with a meaty campaign.

Pros:
  • Amazing Exploration
  • Puzzles were fun to solve (never frustrating)
  • First time going up against a giant was cool in VR
  • environments look great
  • Tons of secrets to find
  • That feeling when something looks off in an environment, you fire a specific spell to see what happens and it unlocks a new passage
  • Great movement options for all
  • Game length (took me 10 hours and I was still missing some secrets and modifiers)

Cons:
  • Annoying companion
  • Story is forgettable
  • Repetitive battle theme (theres only one battle theme)
  • Story Character animations were really stiff (like the companion, other characters you find in the story etc. They felt very robotic in their animation with little to no facial expressions, they wouldn't even look at you when talking unless you were standing in one specific spot)
  • Battles can become spam fests
  • Enemies could mostly be killed with any spell, doesnt encourage experimentation

XShagrath

I haven't used my Vive in a couple of months, and am having someone over this weekend that I'll be showing it off to. What does everyone use to introduce people nowadays? He's not a gamer, so I usually show off theBlu as one of the first things, and then The Lab once they've gotten a little used to things. I think some of the environments in SteamHome could be cool to show off as well.

Top Bottom