• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

Scubasteve2365

Neo Member
I haven't used my Vive in a couple of months, and am having someone over this weekend that I'll be showing it off to. What does everyone use to introduce people nowadays? He's not a gamer, so I usually show off theBlu as one of the first things, and then The Lab once they've gotten a little used to things. I think some of the environments in SteamHome could be cool to show off as well.

Google Earth can impress people.

Grug

I haven't used my Vive in a couple of months, and am having someone over this weekend that I'll be showing it off to. What does everyone use to introduce people nowadays? He's not a gamer, so I usually show off theBlu as one of the first things, and then The Lab once they've gotten a little used to things. I think some of the environments in SteamHome could be cool to show off as well.

I always start people off with Tilt Brush first. It's just a great introduction to being in a virtual space and gives immediate satisfaction as soon as they start laying down paint.

Then I load up SuperHot :D

Lakuza

I've demo'd to a lot of people (most of them on gear vr since I can take it to them). I'm not a fan of labs, I tried it late so its not really impressive to me and theres better options available now to show how far vr has come from labs.

I start off with this one always (especially for people not familiar with games):
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1006887936048510/

Its basically a 360 video introducing vr to people, especially awesome when they have no expectations of what vr can do going in. Its short lasting around 2-3 minutes but starts off with space then transitions to being on a boat as someone rows it past huts, shows 4 different circus performers in close proximity (located around you), takes you to the jungle where an Elephant walks towards you, shows a basketball practice happening around you, Sitting with a family as a little girl talks to them, a dinosaur (brontosaurus, diplodicus type, the ones with long necks eating plants) comes up really close to examine you and then returns to a final space scene.

Pretty much everyone I show it to who have never experience vr before are blown away by it.

Second, I'll place them into the oculus touch tutorial so for vive it could be something similar that helps them to learn the controllers in a short period of time.

Third, I'll place them into something that uses the controllers but isn't horror. This depends on who they are and what they like in general when it comes to media. My usual go to game is Robo Recall since its quick to get into, arcadey and has good visuals. This is the "wow! wtf! this is possible??????????!" moment. If you don't own this game, it might be worth letting them try superhot if you have it or something action based that lets be neo for a bit.

After they get past the first level or feel satisfied with what they've tried in it, I make sure they are comfortable with trying horror and then get them to play Affected: The Manor. This is a short experience (about 30 mins) that has basic gameplay (just follow the linear path with a torch). This one is great for getting funny reactions.

If they are still up for me, I basically give them a tour of different games to showcase the variety.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just invested another hour in The Invisible Hours, and its really fabulous. The ability to teleport around and view their interaction is really neat. I love how I can just follow another character after each interaction, and how you can repeat the viewing from various perspective. 2 hours in and I think I am only 35% done for all characters.

Western version of Million Arthur VR released and you cant buy it anywhere outside the UK, US or Canada....

header.jpg

https://steamdb.info/app/660570/depots/

atom519

In addition to what others said, Audioshield and Richie's Plank Experience have been big hits with the ladies and non-gamers for me.

oatmeal

Banned
So what’s the best deal in the PSVR Sale?

I got the NBA thing (3 bucks) and driveclub.

What else is worth it?

Edit
Crap Thought this thread said PSVR

low-G

Wow that Space Pirate Trainer update is crazy. So many new mechanics, powers, and enemies. Yet they have retained that arcade feel. Excellent. Wonder how you get the various unlocks?

One big thing I discovered. You can control various defenses in the environment with your tractor beam / bat. There’s a sort of orbital laser, an auto aiming laser turret, and a Tesla zapper. All have recharge times. They seem like they could be really useful in some occasions.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The new Space Pirate Trainer is everything you could want aside from a level where you’re on the side of a space ships wing like bayonetta. They can save that for the sequel.

It was scary to turn it on have new things pop up. Totally caught off guard by the little hex Death Star things. Awesome addition. Man this is the best game.

2MD VR Football got a new mode:

QB RUNNING MODE + ACHIEVEMENT
This is a big one - and was something that has been in the works for a while. Now, after the snap, pressing a direction on the D-Pad will allow your QB to start running the ball! Pressing "up" runs forward, "left" and "right" sidle in that direction, and "down" backpedals. Being able to run the ball is especially important for those times in which that first down or TD is juuuuust out of reach. Additionally, you can use your free hand to 'stiff arm' dummies on your way down the field.

PRACTICE MODE
Created for those players who want to hone their skills free of the clock, the practice field allows you to run a simple ring drill. To enter the practice field, simply click on the rings propped up against the rehab cart:

Will try it out later~

Edit: Okay. No clue how to exit practice mode.

Lakuza

Oculus store Friday 13th horror sale

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/section/rift/1847066828916572/

I don't own any of these yet so any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'll most likely be getting Edge of nowhere only since the price is so low.

Duck season is big tribute to the original games, you play as kid in the 80s who's rented the game for one night. I'm not really a fan of shooting ducks in the distance with a shotgun so i've passed on it but it does feature a twist to the gameplay that involves horror. The game can be finished in an hour, but has multiple endings and scenarios to discover so its got a good amount of replayability to it (the scenarios are different enough to warrant multiple playthroughs too)

Affected: the manor is a great way to demo vr to others (and a good introduction to vr horror itself too). Its a short experience lasting between 15-30 mins but has 2 different paths you can take for minor replayability.

Edge of Nowhere I've heard is awesome (+its insomniac games too) so I'm definately buying that, at that price its a no brainer.

Killing floor incursion got mixed reviews and a lot of bad impressions from the vr community on release. For some bizzare reason they chose to make the game a simulation so enemies spawn with an ugly glowing, blue pixelated effect which kills alot of the suspense and horror and then you have an annoying flying drone following you that lets the assistant talk to you making light hearted comments and puns whilst blocking your view which again makes the tone something closer to borderlands than horror. It lasts about 4 hours but they are creating new content like adding a horde mode for fans of the original killing floor gameplay. For that reason, I haven't got it yet either as i'm not a fan of really short games but will keep an eye on it for future updates.

Arizona Sunshine is another short game which people are completing in 3-4 hours too and was one of the early horror campaigns available so it may be a bit rough when it comes to polish but its a game I'll definately get eventually.

Wilson's Heart uses node teleportation and as a result exploration isn't really a thing. It kinda spoon feeds you where to look to get the item to progress so puzzle solving is simplified/dumbed down due to that node teleporting. I have heard good things about it though so maybe I'll get it at a later date.

Witchblood is a super short metroidvania. I've heard good things about it but the ending is abrupt, at that price though it won't hurt your wallet.

Dreadhalls I own on gear vr and its awesome but not sure if it holds up with other rift games anymore (but for that price, its good). You start out in a labyrynth and have to find the exit, whilst lockpicking doors, refeuling your lamp and avoiding the monsters that lurk inside. It has gargoyle enemies that don't move if you look at them (for doctor who fans).

Drop dead is a wave based mobile vr game ported over so I'm not interested in it.

Dead secret is meant to be a good game and I own it on gear vr, but I probably won't play it any time soon since I haven't played on the gear vr since getting the rift, lol.

Narcosis I've heard good things about, but don't know too much besides it being underwater horror adventure game.

Obscura, syren and don't knock twice I have no idea about.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Upcoming VR titles for the rest of Oct

• REGENESIS Arcade
  • Deserving Life
  • Cargo Breach
  • DreamTank
  • WRAITH
  • Taphouse VR
  • OVERTURN
  • Luna
  • The Talos Principle VR
  • Cliffstone Manor
  • Virtual Space
  • Halo: Recruit (Windows MR Headsets)
  • Skyworld
  • Sneaky Bears
  • EGE DistantPlanet NonXXX
  • Anti Gravity Warriors VR
  • VR Triber
  • Virtual Space
  • Breadwinner VR
  • Bike Rush
  • VR Hockey League
  • The Gallery: Episode 2 Heart of the Emberstone
  • Battlemage Training
  • Reaching for Petals: VR Edition
  • COMBAT INSTINCT
  • SweeperVR
  • Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Organ Quarter
  • The Cave VR
  • Drop
  • Google Spotlight Stories: Pearl
  • Pathstow Mystery VR
  • VRMakingSense
  • Tactical VR
  • SojournVR
  • Voxel Tank VR
  • Strato Spaces VR
  • Bits n Bullets
  • House Dating VR: Cute Korean Girl,
  • Ancient Code VR
  • Gun Club VR
  • Mind Sweeper VR
  • Skyfront VR
  • Fly Destroyer
TBA
  • Elevator… to the Moon! (Oculus Rift)
  • CUBE-C VR Game Collection
  • Watch Men VR
  • Temple Raid
  • Kung Fu All-Star VR
  • The Cavern
  • Deadeye Dungeon
  • The Trace
  • Guns n Stories: Preface VR
  • Bit Storm VR: First Loop
  • ZhanDou
  • Theseus
  • Bartender VR Simulator
  • CUBE-C: VR Game Collection
  • Cursed Isles
  • The Cavern
  • TankVR
  • Battle Buddies VR
  • Bit Storm VR: First Loop
  • Until None Remain: Battle Royale VR

Lakuza

I enjoyed floor plan so hoping that elevator to the moon is as good, but will wait on reviews for it as I'll have plenty of games to play by that point anyways.

Man the cables from my Vive really piss me off sometimes :p

Nothing shatters that level of emotion like feeling the cord get stuck around your foot or hooked on the arm of your chair.

This is why I set up a ceiling lanyard system, it's not perfect, but it's miles beyond dragging around on the ground.

I'll most likely be getting Edge of nowhere only since the price is so low.

Duck season is big tribute to the original games, you play as kid in the 80s who's rented the game for one night. I'm not really a fan of shooting ducks in the distance with a shotgun so i've passed on it but it does feature a twist to the gameplay that involves horror. The game can be finished in an hour, but has multiple endings and scenarios to discover so its got a good amount of replayability to it (the scenarios are different enough to warrant multiple playthroughs too)

Affected: the manor is a great way to demo vr to others (and a good introduction to vr horror itself too). Its a short experience lasting between 15-30 mins but has 2 different paths you can take for minor replayability.

Edge of Nowhere I've heard is awesome (+its insomniac games too) so I'm definately buying that, at that price its a no brainer.

Killing floor incursion got mixed reviews and a lot of bad impressions from the vr community on release. For some bizzare reason they chose to make the game a simulation so enemies spawn with an ugly glowing, blue pixelated effect which kills alot of the suspense and horror and then you have an annoying flying drone following you that lets the assistant talk to you making light hearted comments and puns whilst blocking your view which again makes the tone something closer to borderlands than horror. It lasts about 4 hours but they are creating new content like adding a horde mode for fans of the original killing floor gameplay. For that reason, I haven't got it yet either as i'm not a fan of really short games but will keep an eye on it for future updates.

Arizona Sunshine is another short game which people are completing in 3-4 hours too and was one of the early horror campaigns available so it may be a bit rough when it comes to polish but its a game I'll definately get eventually.

Wilson's Heart uses node teleportation and as a result exploration isn't really a thing. It kinda spoon feeds you where to look to get the item to progress so puzzle solving is simplified/dumbed down due to that node teleporting. I have heard good things about it though so maybe I'll get it at a later date.

Witchblood is a super short metroidvania. I've heard good things about it but the ending is abrupt, at that price though it won't hurt your wallet.

Dreadhalls I own on gear vr and its awesome but not sure if it holds up with other rift games anymore (but for that price, its good). You start out in a labyrynth and have to find the exit, whilst lockpicking doors, refeuling your lamp and avoiding the monsters that lurk inside. It has gargoyle enemies that don't move if you look at them (for doctor who fans).

Drop dead is a wave based mobile vr game ported over so I'm not interested in it.

Dead secret is meant to be a good game and I own it on gear vr, but I probably won't play it any time soon since I haven't played on the gear vr since getting the rift, lol.

Narcosis I've heard good things about, but don't know too much besides it being underwater horror adventure game.

Obscura, syren and don't knock twice I have no idea about.

Thanks. Already picked up Edge of Nowhere because its a steal.
Will probably pick up Arizona Sunshine, Wilsons Heart, Affected and maybe Duck Season. Will see which ones the wife fancies first.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Question for people who have a vive and and a rift:

Does your rift make you feel ill while your vive doesn't?

I don't know why but I can stay in the Vive for hours, but maybe 10 minutes of Rift and I feel ill. Not sure why, other than the rift being much blurrier than the vive at the same resolution.

Lakuza

I don't know why but I can stay in the Vive for hours, but maybe 10 minutes of Rift and I feel ill. Not sure why, other than the rift being much blurrier than the vive at the same resolution.

any chance it could be async warp option? I think I remember reading some people get sick from that too so they turn it off, so might be worth reading up on it or searching for questions related to it on reddit. I could be completely wrong here so take what I said as a grain of salt, just throwing some ideas out whilst we wait for someone to give a more concrete answer.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
any chance it could be async warp option? I think I remember reading some people get sick from that too so they turn it off, so might be worth reading up on it or searching for questions related to it on reddit. I could be completely wrong here so take what I said as a grain of salt, just throwing some ideas out whilst we wait for someone to give a more concrete answer.

Is that the same as Async reprojection on Vive? If so, that doesn't bother me (at least it doesn't bother me on Vive).

Lakuza

Is that the same as Async reprojection on Vive? If so, that doesn't bother me (at least it doesn't bother me on Vive).

oh, could be that then that I'm getting confused with.
EDIT:
Did a quick google search and IPD came up, if its set just a little off it can cause users to feel headaches/ uncomfortablenes etc so make sure the lenese are set correctly.

EDIT2:
Seeing suggestions on reddit threads saying "try disabling ASW" so I think it might be technically different to reprojection?

This is the thread i was looking at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5irxcp/feeling_sick_after_using_the_rift_but_not_the_vive/

Lakuza

I wrote a positive review for that game. I really like the new practice mode.

Btw. is there any "Freddy" like game for VR? I mean somehow it seems a perfect fit for a VR headset, but dont know if there actually is one.

five night at freddy's?

i think duck season could qualify as one...perhaps.

SimplexPL

Zalusithix

SteamVR's async reprojection equivalent in Oculus land is ATW. There is no ASW-like tech available in SteamVR. No clue whether that's the reason, but it should be easy enough to switch off for testing.

Unfortunately, as similar as they may be, there's still a number of differences between the sets optically speaking. If VR has shown us anything, it's that small changes can have larger than expected effects, and the changes don't affect everybody the same way. It could be something as simple as the FoV difference between the two sets. The Vive has a larger FoV - particularly in the vertical direction. It seems kind of counter-intuitive given an artificially reduced FoV is one way to counteract VR sickness while using artificial locomotion, but it could be possible that a permanently reduced FoV has a subconscious effect on some people. Were this the case, you'd also be affected by the mobile VR solutions though - so easy enough to rule that out if you've used any of those VR solutions without issues.

low-G

How does your tracking feel? If you’re having some tracking issue, that could cause discomfort.

Also wow so many Oculus sales and new games... I don’t have time for all these games, but the prices are fantastic.

I wrote a positive review for that game. I really like the new practice mode.

Btw. is there any "Freddy" like game for VR? I mean somehow it seems a perfect fit for a VR headset, but dont know if there actually is one.

Looking at the trailer the Boogeyman game in the current rift sale looks like similar gameplay to five night at freddys. No idea if it is any good though

Top Bottom