• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword new media depot [Latest: Lyre Trailer] [Spoilers may vary]

RagnarokX

Chet Rippo said:
i5mNc.jpg

The fortune teller has a mustache...
The guy in the background was confusing at first because the stool he's sitting on looks like a pair of boots facing the wrong way.

raz0ib.gif

Hiltz

That music in the tools of the trade trailer is fantastic. Was honestly getting tired of hearing the main theme anyway.

Mael

BurntPork said:
Wind Waker has the highest amount of normal character designs in the 3D games.

This series is fucked up.

What? The super deformed stuffs is more normal than what you find in Spirit Tracks or Majora's Mask?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
BurntPork said:
Wind Waker has the highest amount of normal character designs in the 3D games.

This series is fucked up.
jett said:
Nintendo's designers are truly more fucked up than we give them credit.
This is why those clamoring for an epic cinematic dark matoor visceral LotR wannabe Zelda have no idea what they are talking about. The series is filled with this sort of quirky characters.

jett

D-Member
Hiltz said:
That music in the tools of the trade trailer is fantastic. Was honestly getting tired of hearing the main theme anyway.

Yeah it's fantastic. Sounds slightly Mitsuda-ish.

Mael

Jocchan said:
This is why those clamoring for an epic cinematic dark matoor visceral LotR wannabe Zelda have no idea what they are talking about. The series is filled with this sort of quirky characters.

Actually the contrast between the characters and matoor visceral LotR style in Zelda is usually very well done and add to it rather than detract.
I mean look at MM's or TP's arts!
It's really, really good.
And I don't know who provided concept art for Zelda 1 but it's stunning and I wish they went this route next...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mael said:
Actually the contrast between the characters and matoor visceral LotR style in Zelda is usually very well done and add to it rather than detract.
I mean look at MM's or TP's arts!
It's really, really good.
And I don't know who provided concept art for Zelda 1 but it's stunning and I wish they went this route next...
I'm not sure I would define the art of MM that way. It's more bleak than OoT, sure, but still very stylized. The one in TP, on the other hand, sort of does, and I must admit I found the character designs for almost all the NPCs jarring and out of place.

Mael

Jocchan said:
I'm not sure I would define the art of MM that way. It's more bleak than OoT, sure, but still very stylized. The one in TP, on the other hand, sort of does, and I must admit I found the character designs for almost all the NPCs jarring and out of place.

IDK I really liked how they did the NPCs, especially the Zoras and Gorons...
I mean the out of place dudes are kinda how I viewed NPCs like Error or Bug in AoL after all :p

RagnarokX

I was just listening to the IGN podcast and they said this: "...the birds, the what do they call them... the crimson... loftwings?"

So continuing with their colorblindedness in confusing Zelda's bird with Link's, they don't know crimson is a color.

Gino

RagnarokX said:
I was just listening to the IGN podcast and they said this: "...the birds, the what do they call them... the crimson... loftwings?"

So continuing with their colorblindedness in confusing Zelda's bird with Link's, they don't know crimson is a color.
Dude, you're reaching on this one. People make mistakes, just chill.

Amir0x

Banned
Chopper said:
Sounds like your own opinion to me.

He's already stated his, so that last statement can't possibly be true. :)

I had no problem shaking to spin in Galaxy. It seemed to make perfect sense.

I'm sure just the difference between your immediate access button press and making the waggle motion, however slight, would instantly make it less efficient. The difference would be tiny, sure, but it's built-in to motion controls, which is why I prefer motion controls when they're doing things explicitly that there would never be a chance to do with traditional controls. I want my controls as instantaneous and reliable as possible.

But for example, like I said the thing that excites me about Skyward Sword is not the motion combat - which, for my money, will probably distract me more than enhance the experience - but the motion puzzles. Anyone who played Zack & Wiki understand the interesting aspects that come from playing around with puzzles in a 3D space, or even if they played one of my Wii favorites Boom Blox.

When you're doing things that cannot be replicated in traditional controls, to me it clicks. I mean the wiimote has built-in design flaws, but it's the way I would want motion controls on the perfect controller whenever that arrives. But when you're just doing silly 'additive' motions that would be quicker with a button and more reliable with a button, it fails to move me. It's not immersive, since the motions almost never accurately represent the real-life actions in question... so it comes down to simple time for me anyway.

Anihawk said:
when i played smg, i never knew you could spin in mid-air for a small save. so i played it pretty much as a straight-up platformer. as such, i thought the waggling was pretty stupid, since it pertained mostly to blasting off or damaging enemies.

then i played nsmbw, and i got basically what i wanted out of the motion controller and a 2d platformer. the mid-air save works here because it's the extension of that old-time reflex to make mario jump further.

I guess I never had that 'old-time reflex', because it just felt superfluous to me. It didn't make it bad or anything, since it worked and it worked well enough that it wasn't worth complaining about. But to me it was excessive, because a button would have been more efficient. The motion just seemed added because they could add it, not because it was fundamentally enhancing the gameplay. That's my take anyway.

And you already know my embarrassing SMG story... I knew about mid-air save. I forgot about using the long jump for the entire game and didn't even realize why I was having trouble in Luigi's Purple Coins until it hit me that I wasn't using the long jump lol.

It happens to the best of us!

MYE said:
I liked flicking the remote to spin because it was something that broke the chain of button pressing you would normally get in a normal controller.

Push analog forward > crouch with Z > Press A for long jump > and finish it with a quick physical flick for that extra jump length.

^ I really like this. So much that jerking the remote as a last resort to try and save myself from a failed jump is something i just naturally do since SMG.

I guess I can sorta see what you're saying, although I personally didn't get any reaction. I never feel like there has to be some reason to 'break the chain of button pressing.' Is button pressing suddenly a bad thing, especially if it works more efficiently than the alternative? I'll never understand this sort of thing, but then again I've never been bored with games and have never had a drive to have everything upended because of that boredom. I love button presses.

GCX

The amazing thing about Zelda art is that Yusuke Nakano is the main concept artist behind all of the 3D console Zeldas.

I mean holy cow can anyone be this versatile:

RqfkT.jpg

G7hd7.jpg

tZAay.jpg

uSAg3.jpg

X3UIX.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lord Ghirahim said:
People thought you were trolling.
Huh? He just asked about preordering options and said he needs a M+ equipped remote, it doesn't seem the usual "do you really need a M+ for this game?" troll to me.

MutFox said:
No answer? :(
There is a bundle with game + golden remote + OST for $69. AFAIK there are no special preorder options (unless they're going to be announced later on).

shadyspace said:
After all this time I still don't really like the title.
I like the title. I don't like the font used in the logo.

Amir0x

Banned
i hope this game has a butcher house filled with the carcasses of dead ooccoo, as a sort of attempt by Nintendo to apologize for introducing those fucked up creepy creatures into the series

Amir0x said:
i hope this game has a butcher house filled with the carcasses of dead ooccoo, as a sort of attempt by Nintendo to apologize for introducing those fucked up creepy creatures into the series
Yeah.

Gravijah

Amir0x said:

come on, they were awesome. even though they did creep the hell out of me the first time your run into them.

Jocchan said:
Huh? He just asked about preordering options and said he needs a M+ equipped remote, it doesn't seem the usual "do you really need a M+ for this game?" troll to me.

I haven't ever heard of a "better pre-order" becoming available a month before release. Even if some retailer started offering store-exclusive pre-order bonuses this late, what would be stopping you from canceling your already placed pre-order? People who are foolish enough to pay in advance need not answer.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Amir0x said:
Just wait for every single character to turn into Oocca in the ending, and perform a musical skit during the credits.

Gravijah said:
come on, they were awesome. even though they did creep the hell out of me the first time your run into them.
Chickens with multiple blue nipples and brain surgery scars. That's Silent Hill material right there.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lord Ghirahim said:
I haven't ever heard of a "better pre-order" becoming available a month before release. Even if some retailer started offering store-exclusive pre-order bonuses this late, what would be stopping you from canceling your already placed pre-order? People who are foolish enough to pay in advance need not answer.
There's nothing wrong in asking here if you haven't been following things closely, imho.

Top Bottom