• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable II Thread

N.A

Banned
Chinner said:
Do the NPCs in this game have patterns? I mean, would it be possible for you to stalk your wife and see where she goes? You could catch her in the act with your kids for example!

Some have patterns others just seem to go where they please. Your family will usually follow you around if you are close by.

I'm also glad to say there are a lot more sidequests than I previously thought. I've already had 5 or 6 new ones appear since I've finished the main quest in addition to the 12 I had yet to complete. There are also several recurring jobs that are more like quests.

N.A

Banned
Keikoku said:
Thanks.

Also, I don't understand why, but my character have some stranges marks all over his body, like devil marks in Fable 1... but my character is more "good" than "bad" in the journal... any ideas ?

Mage marks.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the Pub Games glitch has really screwed up the economy in this game... people are just walking around randomly giving millions at a time to other players.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
Wow, the Pub Games glitch has really screwed up the economy in this game... people are just walking around randomly giving millions at a time to other players.
Wait, wasn't there supposed to be some consequence to using the glitch? Or have they not patched that in yet?

N.A

Banned
Phaethon0017 said:
Can you choose your race in this one, or does everyone have to start as the same kid?

You only get to choose choose male or female however what areas you spend your experience points on affect your appearance.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
I think that's what most of us assumed.
When they announced the day 1 patch for co-op, I assumed they were going to bundle something in for it. Has that patch come out? If so, then yeah, it's PR crap.

FFChris

Always-honest said:
i know, but is it fun WHEN you DO have them

What? It's optional. If you think it would be fun, you do it. If you find it isn't fun, you can kill your wife. You make your own fun.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
Glad I didnt participate.

Kritz

Banned
I've just bought Fable:TLC on PC to give that a runthrough before tomorrow's release of Fable 2. I played the first Fable on Xbox, and wow, 8xAA really makes the game look amazing.

I think last time I played Fable, I got through it in maybe 6 hours (Even with doing sidequests). I don't actually know what additional content Lost Chapters has, but it's probably not going to take too much longer.

Really can't wait for Fable 2, and I'm annoyed that out of the two Kmart stores in my city, I went to the one that DIDN'T break the street date. Oh well. Only one more day to wait.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
I dont think i'll accept donations. I'd rather achieve success through my own efforts.
The funny thing is that you don't have a choice. If you have orbs set to ON, then people can randomly select you and give you an item or gold and there's nothing you can do about it. I guess you could give it away to someone else. And continue the process.

ampere

PhatSaqs said:
Glad I didnt participate.
Same. I hated the idea of being able to buy everything right off the bat.
Cocopjojo said:
The funny thing is that you don't have a choice. If you have orbs set to ON, then people can randomly select you and give you an item or gold and there's nothing you can do about it. I guess you could give it away to someone else. And continue the process.
Wait, wtf?
Nooooo :(

Teknoman

Cocopjojo said:

Well guess i'll have to do that then.

Cocopjojo said:

You aren't forced to spend it though. I mean you could just keep it in your inventory and just continue on. I think its kinda nice of people to offer gold without even knowing you.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Falagard said:
So about boasting, I've heard from someone that it's been cut from the game.

True or false?

If cut - why would they?
Is "boasting" showing off trophies? That's still in there.

Tubobutts

Has anyone else been running into bugs as badly as Cocopjojo or does he just have a messed up copy? I'm starting to get a bit worried.

derder

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Fable 2 $47.99 1 $47.99

Shipped via USPS

Tracking number: x

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $47.99
Shipping and handling: $4.49

Super Saver Discount: $-4.49

EB Pre-order Guarantee: $0.00

Total: $47.99

Paid by Visa: $47.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe it, I pre-ordered this game over a year ago. Its finally so close it huuuuurts.

Cocopjojo said:
Is "boasting" showing off trophies? That's still in there.
no, I think its the betting type thing you know "I will beat this mission without using any health potions" and you get extra money and XP for doing it

S1kkZ

Tiamatsword22 said:
Has anyone else been running into bugs as badly as Cocopjojo or does he just have a messed up copy? I'm starting to get a bit worried.
i talked to several german journalists (that already finished the game): no problems like that. there are bugs, but not as bad as Cocopjopjo describes them.

Timber

PseudoKirby said:
no, I think its the betting type thing you know "I will beat this mission without using any health potions" and you get extra money and XP for doing it
I asked about this on the second page, but I don't think anyone knew yet. In all the impressions I've reading, I have't seen boasting mentioned once. I don't think it's in there :(

LukeSmith

Cocopjojo said:

Don't you only see the Orbs of people on your Friend's List though? If so, just thin the herd.

LukeSmith said:
Don't you only see the Orbs of people on your Friend's List though? If so, just thin the herd.

It's an option; you can set it so that you can see the entire populace or just your friends list. It's up to you. :D

Here's an extract from my review, going up tomorrow at 2pm GMT when the Embargo ends:

Fable II is fun to play, deep, has a plethora of sidequests and things to do, and is truly a role playing game by being highly customizable both in and out of combat. The world is beautiful, lush and well realized and the voice acting contains some of the best Britain has to offer. So what’s wrong with it?

The game isn’t perfect. There’s occasional slowdown and graphical glitches, and our review build obviously has online co-op locked out entirely. It quickly becomes difficult to keep track of commitments within the game, and the menus are clunky despite being pretty. The game sometimes gives the illusion of being linear when it really isn’t - something which might well deter some from trying sidequests and subplots.

That, in fact, is where the game is at its weakest – Fable II soars when players are browsing the world of Albion at a leisurely pace, enjoying the sights, sounds and options at their disposal. Fable II will fall flat for the kind of people who like to plough through storyline and nothing else.

Throughout playing Fable II, two games have stuck in my mind as examples of similar experiences – and both are classics. The first is Shenmue. Like Shenmue, you’ll be tasked with getting a job – essentially a minigame - to help pay your way, and you’ll often spend more time playing silly side-games and distractions than you will the main plot.

Like Oblivion, much of the joy in Fable II comes from exploring the world and chatting to characters within it, while the main plot is slightly underwhelming. Combine concepts from these two and mix it in with things unique to Fable – marriage, children, morality, the ability to own businesses and honestly more interesting combat, and it’s a killer combination.

It's a super long review, like 1500 words, but I have a lot to say about this game. Thank god I'm not writing this one for a magazine and stuck to 500 words.

I plan to put up a short version, too, for the "score skimmers" who don't bother with text.

You can set orbs to Friends Only, Everyone or Off.

I don't see the issue at all. I have it set to friends only, and it doesn't bother me one bit. Obviously, if you set it to everyone, there's a ton of them...

APZonerunner said:
Here's an extract from my review, going up tomorrow at 2pm GMT when the Embargo ends:

It's a super long review, like 1500 words, but I have a lot to say about this game. Thank god I'm not writing this one for a magazine and stuck to 500 words.

I plan to put up a short version, too, for the "score skimmers" who don't bother with text.

"Fable II is fun to play" Hmm, good enough for me. :lol

If you don't mind me asking, what publication do you work for?

Hawk269

A few more thoughts from me on the game. I started over as a female character to see if there was much of a difference and so far not much. I mean you do have guys hitting on you and I have had a few lezbo's try to get with me.

I love how you can name the NPC's or most of them. Once you click on them and hit "Y" you can see what they like and dislike and their disposition to you. By hitting "X" you can name the character (NPC's). I am sure someone is going to have a ball with that.

I put in another 3 1/2 hours and I am still in the starting area, just completed the required first cave (pretty awesome). You do have a stats page, so for the area that you are in, you can see what you have not found, for example, it said I had 2 of 3 silver keys and have only found/detroyed 0/5 of gargoyles.

The game is going to give you as much gameplay as you want to put into it. I have been playing without the crumb trail. By doing adventuring, I have found 3 books that has my dog (Edge) at level 3. Even in the starter area, I am finding a ton of dig sites because Edge is at level 3. There is just a ton to do in the game and to find if you really look.

The frist cave is pretty cool, much better than any in Fable 1. So far, my game time is about 4 1/2 hours and I saved before I left the first dungeon, so the stats shows 1 quest completed, but it should be 2 once i leave the cave.

I also been finding other books, story ones. Some of the stories while short are pretty cool. My favorite was the one about the the previous Hero that is just a tale of the exploits in the first Fable. I found a few dead bodies with some cool notes attached to them (journals) they had with them.

The more I play the game, the more I am impressed with it. I can really see this game lasting a while.

Iama

Hawk269 said:
Here are my impressions after about 2 hours... I scored the game from a Mom & Pop Store in the Los Angeles area...so if you are near I can tell you were to get it.

Like the original Fable, the game starts you out as a child, but you get to choose if you are a male or female. The whole childhood time is a bit less that it was in Fable 1. In Fable 1, the story seemed a bit stronger and more of pull due to the death of your father and your sister & mother being taken from you. Also in Fable 1, you had some time as a child in the heroes academy, not really sure what it was called. Suffice it to say, that being a child in Fable 2 is pretty quick. I did do everything I could, while the game zooms you into a large looking city, you only have access to a small portion. In this small area, you do have some side quests aside from the main thing you need to do to progress the Story, you easily have about 3-5 choices to make, the good vs. evil kind in this small section.

Aside from the first part which is over kind of quick, there are several in-game options...First and foremost is the bread crumb trail...instead of having an on-screen map, the game will have a golden looking trail leading you to your next objective. While, you can Vere off from this, at one point it comes back to steer you in the correct way. The nice thing about this is that you can adjust it's brightness level from very high (ala a bright glowing trail) to completely off, no trail at all or have it on medium or lightl...so far I have been playing the game with it off, but I have not played that much so I may need to turn it on when I get lost.

I can see using the trail in the open world. Now about the open worlds, the game is not like oblivion, there are still loading zones. In the menu you do have a map that has points of interest on it, strangely you cannot zoom in because some of the icons are a bit small...but the 1st zone I am in is pretty big, I know of other players that have been to even larger zones.

As mentioned above, the starter area is in a giant town, but you only have access to small section. Visually, it was very pretty but I did notice a bit of slowdown/frame rate drop as well as some slight screen tearing. Oddly though, when I grew up and was out "in the wild" the frame rate was very smooth and I could not notice any screen tearing. I am not sure if it was due to the particle effect system they are using for the snow (impressive) or what, but as a first impression and you notice some slight slowdown and screen tearing, I was fearing for the worst once you get into an open enviroment...but luckily... this is not the case and in the open world it ran great.

Hear is something that was never fully disclosed by Peter and the team. We all know about the Orb's of other people on your Friends list that are playing the game. What happens, is if you are playing and you 4 friends playing, they appear as orbs in your world. The orb glows and as it get's closer to you, you see the gamer pic of that person with there name above. As they get closer they have implemented proximity chat. Here is what they never really discussed...Not only can it be your friends, it is EVERYONE that is on Live at that time. Rumors suggest it caps at 60 people, but last night I was running around and I ran into someone (no one on my friends list has the game). So this person comes up to me and he starts asking "can you hear me"?? I said, yes..can you hear me? We both were blown away...about a minute later some other person walks up and he starts chatting...these are people I never met before...

Not only can you chat within proximity, you can select the orb, check the stats, check other stuff and even trade. It is pretty amazing that they did this. They always talked about your friends showing up as orbs, but not the general public nor proximity chat. As you play, it is still your own world because the other player asked if it was night time in my game, but is was sunny, so even though we are in the same path/world, his was independent. What is neat, the 3rd player asked if we found chests...the 1st guy I ran into had played longer and led us both to where there was buried gold..as we approached it our dogs (again independently) ran to a dig spot and we both found 100 gold coins. It was pretty amazing that this could be done.

Speaking of the Dog...WOW! I really thought that it was going to be a gimmick, but the AI they programmed it with is just amazing. I am really blown away by how your dog reacts to you and how he follows you. Once you get "something??" you have the ability to name your dog anything you want. Your dog as you walk around, will bark loudly and run to areas where he sniffs out buried items and treasure chests. Oddly, if you played the first game, there are silver chests in the game. To open these, you need to find silver keys. Each chest has a number on them and you have to have found that many keys to open these silver chest. The dog did bark when he saw a silver key, but the two silver chests I have found he did not...so that seemed a littles odd.

I also noticed that some of the NPC's you can name. I did some posing and flexing and a skank looking female character kind of fell in love with me. I highlighted her and checked her stats and it said that she was a Gypsy and it gave her traits..In short she is a skank/tramp and it gave me the ability to name her, so I called her "Skank the Gypsy". the "the Gypsy" could not be edited, just the first part. This was also pretty neat and unexpected.

I only played for a few hours and what I have played is extremely impressive. Voice acting, sound, music, graphics are amazing. A little disappointing start to the game as the childhood portion is really short, took me about 30-40 min. since I looked everywhere and did the few small other side quests and that there seemed to be a little frame drop and tearing in the opening areas...but once you start adulthood..WOW...I said wow at the beginning, but once you hit the outside world...even more impressive.

I will post more later today once I play some more.

Excellent, tank u very much for all this details

DancingJesus said:
"Fable II is fun to play" Hmm, good enough for me. :lol

If you don't mind me asking, what publication do you work for?

I freelance, mostly. I'm actually still at Uni (English Student), but to help pay the bills and build up my portfolio I do some freelance work for various UK-based websites and magazines. I actually wasn't given this game by a specific publication - Microsoft's PR people sent it me of their own accord - so it'll just be going up on a small site of a friend of mine's. It's one more notch in the portfolio though, and it keeps the MS peeps happy, and keeps the Review Code coming my way. :)

APZonerunner said:
I freelance, mostly. I'm actually still at Uni (English Student), but to help pay the bills and build up my portfolio I do some freelance work for various UK-based websites and magazines. I actually wasn't given this game by a specific publication - Microsoft's PR people sent it me of their own accord - so it'll just be going up on a small site of a friend of mine's. It's one more notch in the portfolio though, and it keeps the MS peeps happy, and keeps the Review Code coming my way. :)

Neat, good luck with that.

Drek

Anyone play a female character and have a kid? If so do you got to walk around pregers for a little while before you can squeeze it on out and have your little spawn tottering about?

Falagard

PseudoKirby said:

Yup, that's boasting. I don't think it's in Fable 2 though, at least someone on another forum said it wasn't.

saunderez

Drek said:
Anyone play a female character and have a kid? If so do you got to walk around pregers for a little while before you can squeeze it on out and have your little spawn tottering about?
Nah there is instantly a crib with a baby in it after doing the deed.

Top Bottom