• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

Will not be a 4000 series (at least not in the off-the-shelf kind of way). It'll be a heavily customized GPU, as that is how consoles' GPUs are made. Earliest dev-kit rumors suggested a 4000-series card, but personally, I don't see that being the case. Even if it was true, it'd be leaps and bounds ahead of what the current-gen systems can do. I do expect some nice DX11 features, although the card will use OpenGL instead of DX11.

We did see gorgeous global illumination in the Zelda tech demo. Anyone have a video of a game on the Xbox360 or PS3 with similar levels of global illumination and overall detail? I'm curious, is all.

The tech demos were running on early dev kits (probably the ones which were reported as having a HD4000 series card in them), and Nintendo have a history of showing tech demos which get completely outclassed by real games, so I wouldn't take the demos to be entirely accurate representations of the system. That said, I personally believe they look noticeably better than anything I've seen running in real time on the PS3/XBox360, so I'm expecting pretty nice things once we get to see real games running on final hardware.

guek

Banned
I tried to get wsippel to post this, but he felt it was nothing more than what I had already posted. However I disagree because it was still more than what I got and very relevant IMO. So I'm linking this anyway wsippel. :p

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1614288&postcount=406

1327192876636.gif

The 2gb dream LIVES

Salvadora

I really hope we get 2 gigs of ram, If we had a relatively level playing field in terms of third party support things could get interesting.

Paul Gale

Is it more powerful than my Mickey Mouse Toaster?

...but I applaud you for having one. ;) I played with Wii U at E3 and thought the Zelda HD Experience alone looked a good deal better than God of War III by comparison and that game is quite attractive. I'm sure that when Nintendo busts out the real games at E3 this June, we'll be mopping the floor shortly after.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...eenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-manhattan-crisis/
Unrelated...but I hope this game comes to Wii U...if at all.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...ports-2-a-july-launch-and-more-possibilities/
Related...my own choice would be to have Wii U be 1) Significantly more powerful than PS3/Xbox 360 so that "though weaker" can still compete with Xbox 3 and PS4 when they come out. 2) Cost $400 and have thrown in, Wii Sports 2: The game that will creatively bridge the gap of WiiMotion Plus gaming and U-control tablet fun. World wide launch July 8th, 2012-July 29th, 2012. Pre-orders begin on June 7th, with a several week marketing, super hype filled campaign.

Just a thought. :)

guek

Banned
Personally, I'd love it if the next xbox came out in spring 2013. It would kick off the next gen in a much more meaningful way, and there's very little chance it could so completely outclass the Wii U that mutliplatform ports wouldn't be possible.

But some small part of me wants MS and Sony to remain completely mum about their next gen efforts this E3 and have nintendo surprise everyone with how powerful the console is. I don't mean some kind of 4gb 7850 monster, but just a solid machine that can't help but make people say "WOW." I want this to happen just to shut the goddamn mouths of all the haters out there (or just to see them flounder around trying to downplay a superb showing).

It's possible that the lastest Semi-accurate rumor about the IBM CPU + 7000 series GPU is about the Wii-U. 10k wafers with 50% yield should have some 500,000 for the Wii U for the initial batch. There is no way they need 200,000 Next Box dev kits.

Wii-U

IBM CPU
~7850
We've seen the case, let's not setup unrealistic expectations.

Salvadora

Personally, I'd love it if the next xbox came out in spring 2013. It would kick off the next gen in a much more meaningful way, and there's very little chance it could so completely outclass the Wii U that mutliplatform ports wouldn't be possible.

But some small part of me wants MS and Sony to remain completely mum about their next gen efforts this E3 and have nintendo surprise everyone with how powerful the console is. I don't mean some kind of 4gb 7850 monster, but just a solid machine that can't help but make people say "WOW." I want this to happen just to shut the goddamn mouths of all the haters out there (or just to see them flounder around trying to downplay a superb showing).

I think the rumors of the Nextbox could have been a catalyst to power jump, Showing the WiiU off to the world and being completely bypassed is surely not something they will risk

THE:MILKMAN

I think wsippel should get here and douse the flames lol.

The last ~30 posts have confuzzled me.........2GB RAM, 7000 series Radeon!?

Of course, by "more powerful than anticipated", he means the vibration force-feedback in the controller will put out 250 foot-pounds of torque...

8 GB of RAM confirmed!

Dat PS Quadruple!

Of course, by "more powerful than anticipated", he means the vibration force-feedback in the controller will put out 250 foot-pounds of torque...

Oh dear!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to be true. It was just the specs went through the roof in 30 posts!

I do feel we're really close to getting more solid confirmation of what its got. *fingers crossed*

Haha. Yeah my post was more about the other posts you were referring to. But yeah hopefully before E3 we'll know what's going on under the hood.

Thraktor

Agree with the memory amount. Not quite sure on that bus (could be 96-bit), but would be nice though.

There's no chance it'll be a 96-bit bus. If there's one thing Nintendo love, it's fast RAM. Worst case scenario is 128-bit, and I wouldn't put 256-bit past them (which would put them in the region of 100GB/s memory bandwidth).

There's no chance it'll be a 96-bit bus. If there's one thing Nintendo love, it's fast RAM. Worst case scenario is 128-bit, and I wouldn't put 256-bit past them (which would put them in the region of 100GB/s memory bandwidth).

If there is 1.5GB then 192 and 96 are really the only options for six chips.

Christine

Agree with the memory amount. Not quite sure on that bus (could be 96-bit), but would be nice though.

At 96-bit, it'd be really unlikely to be able to handle much software at a native 1080p. The memory bandwidth at that bit width is too confining for the U to have any chance of inclusion in a unified multiplatform development model alongside MS and Sony's next systems.

Everything else we've heard suggests there's a huge chunk of eDRAM. A 96 bit GDDR5 bus will still allow them to offer triple the bandwidth of the 360 while being able to offload more bandwidth hungry tasks to eDRAM. It's more than enough.

That 3x 360 figure starts to make a lot of sense really. 3x the eDRAM, 3x the memory bandwidth, 3x the amount of main memory, 3x the L2 cache and 3x the amount of shaders all line up with what we've been hearing.

Thraktor

If there is 1.5GB then 192 and 96 are really the only options for six chips.

Then it'll be 192, or 128/256 if they've stumped for 2GB. I just don't see them settling for a bandwidth barely twice that of the XBox360.

Keep in mind that, even with the Wii, when Nintendo very explicitly set themselves the goal of "Don't make this thing too powerful", they still added the fastest RAM available (GDDR3) to the console. Now that they're actually trying to make a technologically capable system, fast RAM is the last thing I expect them to skimp on.

wsippel

Banned
I think wsippel should get here and douse the flames lol.

The last ~30 posts have confuzzled me.........2GB RAM, 7000 series Radeon!?
I guess I should, yes.

Devs had low expectations, and the final hardware supposedly exceeds those. That´s pretty much it. Nobody said it´s mindblowing or anything, just different and better than anticipated. But considering we don´t even know what the initial expectations were to begin with...

I guess I should, yes.

Devs had low expectations, and the final hardware supposedly exceeds those. That´s pretty much it. Nobody said it´s mindblowing or anything, just different and better than anticipated. But considering we don´t even know what the initial expectations were to begin with...

Initial expectations were weaker than the original Wii.

At 96-bit, it'd be really unlikely to be able to handle much software at a native 1080p. The memory bandwidth at that bit width is too confining for the U to have any chance of inclusion in a unified multiplatform development model alongside MS and Sony's next systems.
If the entire 1080p framebuffer is going to be in eDRAM, it'll cope just fine.

I'm not sure that 1080p is really the target resolution for Wii U anyway. Early software will support it a s its a cheap way to make use of the faster hardware but going forward, dropping to 720p is going to be one of the key ways developers facilitate multiplatform development.

Christine

That's where the eDRAM would come in.

That's a bit of a wash, though, isn't it? Because the next Xbox will probably also have an eDRAM solution on top of simply having a faster main memory pool.

If the entire 1080p framebuffer is going to be in eDRAM, it'll cope just fine.

I'm not sure that 1080p is really the target resolution for Wii U anyway. Early software will support it a s its a cheap way to make use of the faster hardware but going forward, dropping to 720p is going to be one of the key ways developers facilitate multiplatform development.

I definitely agree with that. I'm expecting that most 1080p titles will either be Nintendo's internally developed software closer the beginning of the generation or 360/PS3 multiplats. Nintendo will probably make the shift to 720p as the new consoles come out in order to stay closer to parity with industry norms, and 3rd party stuff that's shared with the next MS/Sony boxes will be 720p or even lower.

Bullza2o

So... you have Xbox and Blu Ray connected to your TV via HDMI, and then optical out from TV to the optical-in on the receiver? A lot of TVs will just downmix the audio stream to stereo when it sends over optical out.

If you have a 360 Slim (dedicated optical out instead of messing around with the component video cable), you could just feed the receiver directly. I would recommend doing the same from your blu ray player directly to the receiver.
Dang, it is true! I just checked and only 2 of my speakers are making sounds. Can't believe I just learned about this today; no wonder I've been thinking all this time that my home theater is a bit weak! Thanks for the heads up!

However, I have an Xbox 360 arcade with HDMI connected, so I apparently don't have an optical output slot :(. Same for my DirecTV receiver it seems! Wow this really sucks. Now I really want the Wii U to have a dedicated optical audio slot.

Azure J

Seeing the hype on this page for the confirmation that new kits are out is kinda funny to me. :lol

That being said, yay more developments on Wii U's development. The silence is almost over. Only thing left to do is to see how close I got with my estimations over the course of the announcement to re-reveal period. Also games, online structure, confirmation that pointer gaming will never die Air Man style, etc. :p

That's a bit of a wash, though, isn't it? Because the next Xbox will probably also have an eDRAM solution on top of simply having a faster main memory pool.

Depends on how fast Xbox3's main memory pool is. If it's fast enough it could make eDRAM redundant and just an unnecessary cost.

Then it'll be 192, or 128/256 if they've stumped for 2GB. I just don't see them settling for a bandwidth barely twice that of the XBox360.

Keep in mind that, even with the Wii, when Nintendo very explicitly set themselves the goal of "Don't make this thing too powerful", they still added the fastest RAM available (GDDR3) to the console. Now that they're actually trying to make a technologically capable system, fast RAM is the last thing I expect them to skimp on.
Modern GDDR5 on a 96 bit bus would get you over 60GB of bandwidth, that's a lot more than "barely double" the bandwidth in the 360, in fact you'd end up with almost exactly triple.

Factor in the extra L2 cache and eDRAM, and it becomes clear that main memory bandwidth isn't going to be a major bottleneck in such a system.

Donnie

The 2GB of ram is possible.
The 7000 series is not.
It'll be a mid-high range 5000 more likely.

The series the GPU belongs too would be about its feature set, not its power though. I don't see why a GPU which is taping out in 2011/2012 couldn't have similar features to a 7000 series, why stick with 5000 level features?

I definitely agree with that. I'm expecting that most 1080p titles will either be Nintendo's internally developed software closer the beginning of the generation or 360/PS3 multiplats. Nintendo will probably make the shift to 720p as the new consoles come out in order to stay closer to parity with industry norms, and 3rd party stuff that's shared with the next MS/Sony boxes will be 720p or even lower.
I don't expect either the PS3 or 360 to include eDRAM. You'd want at least 64MB (or ideally 128MB) for a high end console focused on 1080p rendering with high precision rendering and that amount of eDRAM just isn't feasible.

I'd expect both consoles to have just shy of 200GB/s of main memory bandwidth on a 256 bit bus.

A.KU.MU

Banned

4ZezD.gif

Not sure if old?

"A source that wished to remain anonymous has told us that Nintendo will launch a website accessible from any web browser that will handle configuration of your Nintendo Network account for use on the Wii U or 3DS. He also stated that Nintendo Network will include many new features that haven't been used before by Nintendo. According to his accounts: Nintendo Network = Sony PSN = Xbox Live."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom