• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

This is true. The boss fights just totally ruined the game for me.

They are such a small, small part of the game. I agree that they weren't fun, but there were only like 3 of them. If you truly enjoyed the rest of the game, I can't imagine the boss fights ruined it for you.

As for Elzar, he didn't even finish the first mission after the introduction, so he has no right op speaking.

They are such a small, small part of the game. I agree that they weren't fun, but there were only like 3 of them. If you truly enjoyed the rest of the game, I can't imagine the boss fights ruined it for you.

As for Elzar, he didn't even finish the first mission after the introduction, so he has no right op speaking.

You are a lost cause, I have now heavily 'invested' in your brother.

Now that guy...

Gui_PT

deus-ex-o.gif

deus-ex-double-slap-o.gif

TheOddOne

Overall the open sections were hit or miss for me. Some sections are inspired and others are just really flat and boring. Enemy detection was also something that annoyed me to death. Might go back and try to finish it, but I have no real motivation to :\

Havok

What are people's outstanding opinions of the Majestic map pack?
They stand alongside Haven as some of the best maps in the game, however relative that may be. With them being integrated into Throwdown, now would be the time to get them since the gametypes in the two Majestic playlists are pretty mediocre.

They aren't without problems (Skyline spawns are horrible), but they're solid.

Overall the open sections were hit or miss for me. Some sections are inspired and others are just really flat and boring. Enemy detection was also something that annoyed me to death. Might go back and try to finish it, but I have no real motivation to :\

See, this I understand. You had problems with the game to begin with, and the boss fights tipped you over in your decision.

Elzar though, he just has bad taste.

willow ve

What are people's outstanding opinions of the Majestic map pack?

By far the better of the two DLC packs released (and from the preview vids - looks to be better than the upcoming pack as well). Decent small and medium maps.

Unfortunately I have never once seen them show up outside of the Majestic DLC lists. Never. So while I'm glad they exist and they were fun to play (and get achievements on) I wouldn't recommend paying for them without a discount in price.

ODST looked great but man, if that game was rocking real time lighting with Halo Reach's weather effects that would have been sublime. Lightning casting tons of crazy shadows, heavy rain pouring down (with a very subtle rain on visor effect), Phantoms search lights actively surveying the environment at random. It's the little things.

What would have also been great was an option to play Mombasa streets without activating mission beacons. Like a survival game, every time that you drop in you crash somewhere else. Items, vehicles, and enemies are generated randomly throughout New Mombasa. Simple objectives could also present themselves (clear the hunters out of ONI alpha site). Difficulty is ramped up to make enemies output more damage but take relatively the same.

Survive.

Something like this, if done right, would be amazing.

If MS really wants to expand the Halo Brand into a genre-spanning series (currently only Halo Wars differs), it might be a good start. Keep the mainline series for the Arena gameplay it's known for, and have a spinoff series for Large scale combat closer to battlefield/battlefront.

Pennybags

Human revolution is poop.

No, you're poop.

The Robbertster said:

Lol. This sounds about right.

Boss fights WERE horrid, but they are only very tiny parts of the game. When I play through it again, I'm just going to do the cheese method (Typhoon spam) to get them out of the way.

TCKaos

Agreed. Map is going to boring as fuck to play on.

Well, it's... flat.

It just look boring. If there were natural forge pieces (rock walls, ridges, hills, ect) that'd be awesome, but I don't think that's the case, so we're just going to have flat planes of grass that get closed off by giant white/grey walls.

I don't think I saw this posted yet and while it doesn't give a lot of information on Halo 5 it is pretty interesting:
http://www.oxm.co.uk/51380/features/the-halo-5-interview-experience/
particularly this part

I think this is saying that Halo 5 will pretty much keep the loadout formula from Halo 4 so those of you hoping Halo 5 will go back to the series' roots you can pretty much jump ship now.

Since the XxXbox420XxX has nothing to offer me but Halo, I'll probably just show myself out from the entire console. This would have been my only reason to purchase it, and after Halo 4 I don't think it's worth investing another huge sum of money for something I probably won't enjoy. I've been slowly coming to terms with this but it's been very difficult because through all of these years Halo has been my go to game. Games would come and go, but after a week or so I'd pop Halo 2/3/Reach back in and play that until the next new big thing would happen, and then I'd just be back in a few weeks. I've yet to find my go to game on PC, so it just feels weird to me. It's like I'm wandering through a library and have no idea what to read.

the natron

Neo Member
I don't think I saw this posted yet and while it doesn't give a lot of information on Halo 5 it is pretty interesting:
particularly this part
While I very much enjoyed Halo 4, it did feel quite similar to Call of Duty and Battlefield in places, particularly in terms of multiplayer. Are you concerned that you're not as distinctive as you used to be?

The aim here, as you may have deduced, is to get him banging on about where sequels might take the franchise relative to its rivals, or at least, to make him say something interestingly filthy about Call of Duty. Again, Ayoub sees it coming. "I think the way I'd respond to that is that we're going to be constantly evolving multiplayer. We had things we wanted to do with this when we started the game, and you've seen the beginning of an evolution - I don't think that evolution is over. You're going to continue to see innovations from us in multiplayer, so what I would say to that is: keep watching."
I think this is saying that Halo 5 will pretty much keep the loadout formula from Halo 4 so those of you hoping Halo 5 will go back to the series' roots you can pretty much jump ship now.

kylej

Banned
I was reading EDGE last night and they had a preview for Last of Us. Apparently that's a zombie game? Some sort of fungus that takes over the survivors. I thought Naughty Dog was going to be brave enough to make man the enemy but we're back to zombie stuff again. Ehhhh

Released

I was reading EDGE last night and they had a preview for Last of Us. Apparently that's a zombie game? Some sort of fungus that takes over the survivors. I thought Naughty Dog was going to be brave enough to make man the enemy but we're back to zombie stuff again. Ehhhh

There are human enemies too IIRC.

Overdoziz

Banned
Well, it's... flat.

It just look boring. If there were natural forge pieces (rock walls, ridges, hills, ect) that'd be awesome, but I don't think that's the case, so we're just going to have flat planes of grass that get closed off by giant white/grey walls.
As opposed to flat grey planes closed off by giant grey walls?

Forge does need more natural pieces, though.

Omni

particularly this part

Lol'd at "continue to see innovations from us in multiplayer"... What 'innovations' were present in H4 again?

As opposed to flat grey planes closed off by giant grey walls?

Forge does need more natural pieces, though.

More natural pieces is a band-aid on an axe wound. What forge really needs is a complete retool with terrain modification being the priority then current forge functionality with fine editing as a secondary layer and finally lighting, spawns, weapons and everything else as a tertiary layer

The structure of the pallets needs a complete do over. Hue tinting, and texture swapping being big points to look at. Forge needs to be really special or its going to get ignored because the maps are either too similar looking or just plain horrible.

Objects need to be smooth and without ridges that the player is constantly bumping over when running ect.

Forge currently feels like an after thought to Halo 4

Its got man and zombie enemies. Its got the weird mutant things and humans who have turned feral/crazy/evil

Omni

Loadouts, Ordnance, Killcams, Sprint, Join in Progress, Commendations, "14 Day, Buy and Play” and the Spartan-Ops weekly content system.

HOLD THE DAMN PHONE

I had totally forgotten about the 14 Day - Buy and Play. 343i are truly market leaders when it comes to thinking up awesome new, innovative ideas that aren't built upon errors and lies!

Though Spartan Ops was nice

Omni

Spartan Ops is pretty awesome, a great idea. First half was bleh, but second half is solid.

Yeap. In hindsight I honestly would have preferred Firefight (the quality of Spartan Ops meant that after episode 10 was released, I couldn't bring myself to replay any of the missions because of how dull and boring they generally are. Firefight was something I could return to quite often because of the customisation). But the idea is really nice and I'm actually rather interested to see where 343i takes it in the future.

particularly this part

Awesome PS4 it is.

Lol'd at "continue to see innovations from us in multiplayer"... What 'innovations' were present in H4 again?

Lol, translated: We are going to see what everyone else does and copy them too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well, it's... flat.

I was kidding. It's supposed to be a big flat space. It's meant for Forgers.

JHall

particularly this part

This is already known, them taking Halo back to its roots would be a way of admitting they were wrong with all this "evolution" of the franchise. 343i will never admit they are wrong.

Omni

Mass Effect 3 Retrospective

This was shown at Pax by Bioware. Makes me sad that Shepard's story is over. The franchise will continue but we'll probably never see these characters again.
Didn't they already confirm that they're working on a ME4? (Not with Shepard or whatever, just another game within the universe). Edit. They just said that in the video, lawl

I'm actually going through ME3 again now. Game gets a lot of hate, but it's still a hell of an experience. It's so hard to not get invested with the characters and the story. Definitely my favourite new IP of this generation.

ODST looked great but man, if that game was rocking real time lighting with Halo Reach's weather effects that would have been sublime. Lightning casting tons of crazy shadows, heavy rain pouring down (with a very subtle rain on visor effect), Phantoms search lights actively surveying the environment at random. It's the little things.

What would have also been great was an option to play Mombasa streets without activating mission beacons. Like a survival game, every time that you drop in you crash somewhere else. Items, vehicles, and enemies are generated randomly throughout New Mombasa. Simple objectives could also present themselves (clear the hunters out of ONI alpha site). Difficulty is ramped up to make enemies output more damage but take relatively the same.

Survive.

Yo. Hire Slut.

m23

Didn't they already confirm that they're working on a ME4? (Not with Shepard or whatever, just another game within the universe).

I'm actually going through ME3 again now. Game gets a lot of hate, but it's still a hell of an experience. It's so hard to not get invested with the characters and the story. Definitely my favourite new IP of this generation.

Yeah, but I don't think it will be ME4. Most likely a completely different story.

It's also my favourite new IP this gen, no other IP has immersed me into the story and characters like Mass Effect. Although the Doctors are gone, I'm very interested in seeing what's next. Gonna replay ME3 soon, need to buy all the dlc first.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeap. In hindsight I honestly would have preferred Firefight (the quality of Spartan Ops meant that after episode 10 was released, I couldn't bring myself to replay any of the missions because of how dull and boring they generally are. Firefight was something I could return to quite often because of the customisation). But the idea is really nice and I'm actually rather interested to see where 343i takes it in the future.

I get that, I think they should have offered Firefight for both camps, but I think they hit on a great idea in Ops, they just need to flesh out the mission design a bit and get some story infused in the actual gameplay. It's a solid idea though. Just not a replacement for those who love Firefight.

wwm0nkey

Top Bottom