• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the best pistols in videogames

dogen

Played my fair share of shooters. The deagle from CoD 4 is definitely near the top.

Never played any of the newer games in the series though.

2-17.jpg

I like Lucian's guns from League of Legends.
Couldn't find a better photo of the design.

Fatebringer, Last Word, Thorn, & Hawkmoon. All from Destiny. They were all amazing guns for that first year before hand cannons got nerfed.

When I stopped caring about Destiny. Not sure why they got nerfed in PVE

Destiny's hand cannons really were some of the most fun I've ever had with an FPS. Fatebringer especially

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
ioVoEQZ.png

The Duke Nukem 3D Pistol always felt a little underpowered and maybe looked a little on the wonky side, but I loved it nonetheless. That firing sound was the best of its time.

And hey, let's take a look at the worst pistol in a video game.

Oh yeah, I love how fast that thing shoots. Might have been the first FPS gun with a reload too. I was so disappointed when they ditched it in order to give Duke a tacky, gold, run-of-the-mill M1911. And then they doubled down by making it no fun to use. The Duke 3D pistol, though strange looking (hint, most of Duke's arsenal is) and not too powerful, was at least satisfying to shoot.

Oh yeah, I love how fast that thing shoots. Might have been the first FPS gun with a reload too. I was so disappointed when they ditched it in order to give Duke a tacky, gold, run-of-the-mill M1911. And then they doubled down by making it no fun to use. The Duke 3D pistol, though strange looking (hint, most of Duke's arsenal is) and not too powerful, was at least satisfying to shoot.

System Shock

CMDBob

For me, it has to be the MP412 REX in Battlefield 3:

latest

That was a fucking BEAST of a pistol, could spew out all six of it's rounds really darn quick, got me so many kills. Other people might have preferred the magnum or the autoglock, but for me, had to be the REX.

Quite a few actually:

PP9 Silenced Goldeneye
Falcon Perfect Dark
Halo CE Pistol
Socom MGS1-2
Red 9 and Broken Butterfly RE4
P99 from Goldeneye Remake (my personal favorite)

I'm sure I missed a few though.

Shevat

Neo Member
If we're talking just design, I always liked Vincent's Cerberus just because of how ridiculous it was. Three barrels, each with its own cylinder? Ok.

latest

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Halo CE pistol
RE4 Red9
HL 2 Colt Python
I also love the Magnum in the Resistance games, you can trigger an explosion after the hit:

NPvWIMX.gif

IKPHBLq.png

Pair of these bad boys in Left 4 Dead. I've been flipping between L4d and L4D2 over the last few weeks and the difference between the two is massive. They're actually viable weapons in L4D, capable of clearing the horde and even dealing with certain specials when you're dual wielding . L4D2's pistols by comparison are pathetic, though I guess that was a consequence of adding in melee weapons & the general unbalanced design of the sequel.

Mephala

Obligatory nonsense customized pistol from Resonance of Fate. It is hard not to love the absurdity of it.
EJtGQor.jpg

Otherwise it is always fun when you claim your enemy's starting gun and start dual wielding Enforcers in Unreal Tournament.
MgVy3GI.png

Mendrox

I love Dvas pistol from Overwatch when she is out of the Mecha. It's insanely accurate and strong. Before the patch I sometimes stayed out of the mecha longer even though I could resummon it just to kill people from afar with the pistol lol.

psyfi

Banned
Halo CE

That fucking thing makes me feel so powerful. I love replaying the campaign and just mowing through enemies, even on Legendary. The thunder clap it gives off makes it even better.

Moonlight

Banned
tumblr_nxwalsu28v1sc0vw9o1_1280.jpg

D.Va's pistol in Overwatch. Deceptively one of the best weapons in the game. No damage falloff, high rate of fire, high accuracy. Not many characters in the game can disrespect it. Also, very cute.

There are a lot of great VG Pistols, but lately for some reason I have fallen in love with revolver-types.
Black Mesa:
362890_20160711204623zosyl.png

Metro Series:
vlcsnap-2016-07-25-11nukz4.png

There is something very satisfying about emptying the spent shell casings and hearing the click click click of the cylinder spin.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This thread appears every 6 months and the answer is always the same.

Halo CE pistol. It's a pistol, shotgun and sniper rifle all in one.

Top Bottom