• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wendee Lee (Cup of Tea) handling Xenoblade Chronicles 2's English dub?

Not this shit again.
Nintendo doesnt give a fuck about opinions it seems.
I dont hate american localisations but i dont like the majority of nintendo american localisations. One of the few i thought was cool was TW101, and it wouldnt surprise me that was thanks to Platinum.
I dont know how people love so much the fire emblem ones, because they always sound pretty mediocre for most characters.

Now i need to pray for a total localisation of this thing like they did with Zelda.
If not, i will play it, but I would have prefered a british (or spanish) dub.

He was chiefly a script problem. There's really nothing to Tatsu other than being the token mascot, whereas Riki had a couple of fun moments where they flipped the script on what you would have expected with that kind of character, particularly the revelations of why he's the Heropon and what's in it for him. I wouldn't call Riki a particularly great character (in-combat effectiveness aside), but at least he has a discernible personality and arc.

Agreed, Riki was the character I thought I'd hate and it got turned around on me (not great, as you said but still good). Tatsu is absolutely the worst, and being the token mascot means he gets to ram his obnoxiousness right down your throat.

And you know what's the worst part? With all the Nopon NPCs you meet throughout the game, he STILL manages to be the worst in the end.

Moonlight

Banned
this thread was a good reminder many people couldn't give a shit about voice acting as long as there's something novel or 'exotic' about it that makes it ~different~ to listen to at a really basic level

Malus

English voice acting was fine in Xenoblade X
except for fucking Tatsu

Main characters were good, they just weren't given a whole lot of interesting things to say.

The minor characters in Affinity missions were another story however...hopefully those will just be text dialogue again.

skypunch

Banned
this thread was a good reminder many people couldn't give a shit about voice acting as long as there's something novel or 'exotic' about it that makes it ~different~ to listen to at a really basic level

This is the narrative that people who don't care about Xenoblade's dub like to make up.

EDarkness

Can't believe it but I'm really starting to believe that this thing might very well come out in 2017 for all major areas. Wow.

Nintendo keeps saying it's this year. I haven't found any reason to believe that's not true at this point since they keep driving home that point. No problem with that, though. The more RPGs the better!

Moonlight

Banned
This is the narrative that people who don't care about Xenoblade's dub like to make up.
uh, i love the dub for xenoblade? i just don't believe that British accents inherently elevate anything. that the first thing posters here are demanding after the fact they don't get to hear fancy accents is dual audio (as in JP) is telling. anyone reading the pedigree for cup of tea productions could tell you that they have a very impressive and consistent resume but you get the usual crowd complaining about how american dubs sound the same. things actually relevant to how good a performance is, like vocal direction is totally out of mind because all they need is some sort of garnish that makes it sound distinct rather than good

skypunch

Banned
uh, i love the dub for xenoblade? i just don't believe that British accents inherently elevate anything. that the first thing posters here are demanding after the fact they don't get to hear fancy accents is dual audio (as in JP) is telling. anyone reading the pedigree for cup of tea productions could tell you that they have a very impressive and consistent resume but you get the usual crowd complaining about how american dubs sound the same. things actually relevant to how good a performance is, like vocal direction is totally out of mind because all they need is some sort of garnish that makes it sound distinct rather than good

I think it's because the British voice work gave the characters a fresh, uncommon tone and and it really did feel like a breath of fresh air. There is definitely merit to that. Couple this with the fact that the performances and voice direction were great, and you can begin to understand why so many people loved the British voice work. The performances were very charismatic all around and I feel like a lot of lines were delivered with great gravitas and you could feel the weight of every word.

I am really into UK acting culture. In my not so humble opinion, we have some of the best actors in the world.
https://youtu.be/q89MLuLSJgk

I also love British drama. It is probably why I prefer Xenoblade's dub.

I think it's because the British voice work gave the characters a fresh, uncommon tone and and it really did feel like a breath of fresh air. There is definitely merit to that. Couple this with the fact that the performances and voice direction were great, and you can begin to understand why so many people loved the British voice work. The performances were very charismatic all around and I feel like a lot of lines were delivered with great gravitas and had a lot weight behind them.

"Vile Mechon, if you think the Homs, the people of Bionis, are just waiting here for you to pick us off. You are sorely mistaken!"

You can feel the weight behind every word in that line Dunban says. This kind of voice delivery is straight out of theatre acting. I think classically trained UK actors put a lot of power behind what they say. Maybe you can't hear this, but I can, and I really like it.

Are you under the impression that American voice actors don't go to acting school or perform in theater?

Wendee Lee went to school for theater and dance before she became a voice actor.

jb1234

Without an official announcement, I'm not jumping the gun. Although at this point, I'm not expecting the British accents to return either. Unfortunately.

Mory Dunz

Lin Lee is terrible. Guess it has a lot to do with the character also but the pair is so goddamn annoying I just don't want to go on with the game.

Lin's voice actor was great. Much better than Elma's. That was easily apparent within first starting the game.

I was under the impression this would actually have some of the same characters, so I would hope they would still be british. XC-XCX went from brilliant to trash tier game though, so maybe I don't care.

Radnom

I loved the British voices in Xenoblade, so I really hope that'll happen again. They added a real charm to the game and made it stand out a lot.

Still, I'm sure it'll be a great job either way, but the voices pushed Xenoblade up my list of favourite games which is a pretty rare thing to happen.

AniHawk

if they are doing voice recording now, it is 100% coming out this year in the us/eu.

also keep in mind that this is 2017, the best year for games in 20 years, so that also makes sense.

RPGam3r

Couldn't care less if it retains a British accent to be honest as that is kinda meaningless. She looks way qualified and her work speaks really well for her abilities. Looking forward to a good dub now.

TheSun

I want my London accented robot jerk back!

Well I'll see what the dub will bring. Hearing good things apparently. So that's noice.

As long as it's General American and not West Coast yuppie, I'm in.

Hate region specific American accents in dubbing. As bad as the cockney lite accents in Xenoblade 1.

TheSun

Snag Alan Moore as the main villain. Get some North Hampton representation going on.

Ahm, but yeah we're getting American accents for sure. Still don't know how to feel about that.

SkyOdin

As long as it's General American and not West Coast yuppie, I'm in.

Hate region specific American accents in dubbing. As bad as the cockney lite accents in Xenoblade 1.
A General American accent doesn't actually exist though. The idea that there is one is controversial at best. There have been a wide variety of American accents since the original thirteen colonies have been formed, and that variety has never gone away. Trying to pretend that there is a standard American English is a fiction.

theclaw135

Banned
Wait what? Our lovely Haruhi Suzumiya is voicing Xenoblade 2 and nobody is hyped!?
I think the doctor's order is to watch more anime.

jdstorm

Banned
XCX's voice work is good. Glad to hear more talented people are working on this game.

Would love more vocal diversity of english accents, no reason everoyone has to have the standard Posh British or Cali American accent.

Edit: yes vocal diversity is important. Just look at Hollywood. You have everything from the standard American Accent, Mark Wahlberg's Boston accent, Vin Deisel and Sylvester Stalone's undeciferable gibberish, Jackie Chan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hugh Jackman, Chris Hemsworth ect

If some of the most Iconic Action Film voices of the last 50 years would be rejected from vocal parts in the games industry, thats an issue.

Keasar

So there is a chance that this one will be American voices again? Man, I really enjoyed the British accent in the first game. :(

Just that little bit of accent in everyone made the game sound much better than so many others RPGs. Mass Effect kinda fails to sell a universe of different species when all aliens speak flawless American English.

Scipio

giphy.gif

-shadow-

So chances of it being an American dub are pretty big now? That's terrible honestly. NOA has proven time and time again that they can barely deliver an overall decent dub, let alone a good one. I really had hope that NOE picked this one up and have it to the same people that did the original, that one was absolutely terrific, even setting aside the british accent. Couple that with the amazing The Last Story and Pandora's Tower and they completely hit it out of the park.

The only disappointing dub I can think of from NOE was Maiden of Black Water, but that in turn used American voice actors for some reason. So there's that...

I'm not saying all American VA are bad, just that NOA is complete trash at getting good ones.

They're just going to throw a bone by having Adam Howden do a voice and the rest be Americans again aren't they.
He barely spoke in X though due to the mute main character...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Er fink dey shood gow rally strong wit d'accents like n add nay subbies tay boot. That erll show them tea-a-boos (them who get wet willies wishing they be brits like) wots wot.

Cup of Tea is a bit hit or miss, but I can't deny that they've had more hits than misses of late. Some of my favourite game dubs are theirs, so they're earned the benefit of doubt for sure.

I'll admit I am a little let down that the team who dubbed the first game might not be involved though. I understood the change to an American company for Xenoblade X, since that game took place in "New Los Angeles". However by making a "Xenoblade 2" and not a "Xenoblade X 2", I sort of expected the voice direction to return to form too.

I'm playing Xenoblade for the first time right now and I really can't handle the british cast. Every single line takes me out of the experience and it doesn't help that some lines are repeated so much. Had to switch to JP :(

I'm playing Xenoblade for the first time right now and I really can't handle the british cast. Every single line takes me out of the experience and it doesn't help that some lines are repeated so much. Had to switch to JP :(

Well, now you know how I feel with pretty much every US dub of a Japanese game. :)

Top Bottom