• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf ever think of seperate forums for each platform?

I think there should be a Crackdown specific forum. Also, of course, that would not exclude Crackdown conversations in any of the other forums.

But then, I would, wouldn't I?

i don't even go in the platform specific *threads*. gaf is better as it is, with everyone intermingling and people wearing their agendas on their sleeve.

KINGMOKU

Nope. GAF is what it is, becuase of the unified forum.

The only extra I would support would be a classic photoshop forum, so that the great ones can be remembered.

The one forum system is what attracted me to this place. Coming from IGN, what you frequently see is:

- Incredible ignorance about the game lineups for 'other' consoles, due to everyone sticking to their console specific forums. This only encourages more fanboyism because only knowing about the games for their system of choice makes it easier to dismiss the alternatives.

- Impossible to post bad news without being labeled a troll

- News is slow to spread because they look down upon crossposting, and any topic that mentions 'other' systems will be locked for being off-topic or trolled to death

- Mod rule enforcement isnt' universal or consistent enough

This place is fine the way it is, if you want console specific boards there are tons of alternatives.

sony20logozx2.gif

"Swing low, sweeet chariot...."

Nameless

When I first started browsing here I admit I was like "WTF, why are there only two boards?" But I've grown to love the format. First off it keeps everything in a centralized location. Second, fanboyism tends to increase when each group has their own board, they become even more territorial and more competitive for some reason(atleast thats what I've observed).

Colonel Nelson said:
Besides the obvious issues with cross-platform games, splitting up discussion boards by platforms ghettoizes old platforms. Nobody would enter the Xbox 1 or Gamecube forums, and topics there would die a quick, quiet death, even if they were interesting to a broader audience.

On the topic of forum features, I love the fact that there are no sigs here. But why does unchecking avatars in User CP not actually disable avatars? I like to make my favorite forums as work-friendly as possible.

Good question. I disable images in my brower to get rid of the avatars when I'm at work.

No. That would just create little communities of Hive defenders that are more or less closed off from "outsiders" due to deep suspicion within the community that "outsiders" might be spies or saboteurs from the other Hives. See: IGN boards. I think part of NeoGAF working as well as it does can be attributed to the one board system. There's a level of forced acceptance here that takes the edge off of things, and that's good. The fluid interpretation of rules on this board (as opposed to the strict TOS adherence that is used for other board systems) also weighs into this.

dkeane

These forums are set up perfectly.

Although I agree with the idea of disabling avatars. Most posts here are very short and having avatars on just takes up too much vertical room.

vitaflo

Hitokage said:
It was on UBB that the 10k tag was given, and there was far less traffic back then. 50 posts was a sizable thread. The giant of its time, superkyro, was a measly 450 or so.

:lol superkyro

I suggest increasing total number of threads that get displayed on the first page. Right now, it's 40. How about 60 or 70. It will give threads longer exposer.

Dilbert

MirageDwarf said:
I suggest increasing total number of threads that get displayed on the first page. Right now, it's 40. How about 60 or 70. It will give threads longer exposer.
You DO know what the little numbered buttons at the bottom of the page do, right?

-jinx- said:
You DO know what the little numbered buttons at the bottom of the page do, right?

Yes. I sure do. But if thread is one the first page, I don't have to click for the second page, and then click on the thread. Anyway, I don't have any problem with current format.

Haunted

Doom_Bringer said:
Nintendo fans suggested this when Drinky Crow and co were on a massive Nintendo trolling campaign, it obviously didn't play out...
Thank god for that. Unified forums are the best kind of forums.
Get rid of the OT.

MaddenNFL64

Unified forum = no forum xenophobia, less hive mind, etc. etc. I like it that way. Plus, we all get through the day not threatening to kill eachother, so it seems to be working out.

"It was on UBB that the 10k tag was given, and there was far less traffic back then. 50 posts was a sizable thread. The giant of its time, superkyro, was a measly 450 or so."

How big was that Julian of Factor 5 thread?

Teknopathetic said:
How big was that Julian of Factor 5 thread?

Much longer than Superkyro, but totally worthless in comparison. Superkyro had awesome stuff, including embedded MIDIs and I think even the Jigglypuff song at one point.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
gutter_trash said:
enter any PSP thread in 2006 and by page 2 you would have gotten the strike force attack from the DS malitia in place already.

PSP threads have calmed down quite a bit lately, maybe people wised up now (more pleasent) but in 2006 it was absolutely discusting trying to see whats up with the PSP with the insane trolling in those threads

The pre launch trolling when PSP was announced from sony fans was a lot worse, to expect it to be pretty after DS won the war is daft.

distrbnce

Banned
Looks like it's 1 vs. 100

Casting my vote for the unified get-up. There are segregated forums all over the net; GAF is a deep, refreshing breath of air.

-jinx- said:

Why is it that the most common thing I want to do on any forum is go to the next page of a thread, and the ONLY way to do it is to click on a little 3-pixel button? How about a giant banner at the bottom of the page that takes you to the next page in a thread? (please?)

But seriously, it would be cool to have some kind of news-only place, even if it was just a sticky. (example: "Where to find a Wii") Actually, that's really all I want.

Bodom78

GAF should just add a "Console Wars" sub section where people can go to slug it out over which console they think is better.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Norse said:
hell, at one time I thought wario64 had a bot programmed at home that scanned gaf for new threads and would just post something random.

:lol

Bodom78 said:
GAF should just add a "Console Wars" sub section where people can go to slug it out over which console they think is better.

Just do it in the online gaming forum. No one would even notice!

And I bet the mods give each system their own forum for April Fools Day (only). :lol

Hell to the naw! Seperate console forums just lead to fanboy cliques, I've seen it ruin many a good board.

The only seperation I'd like to see is maybe splitting "Gaming Discussion" into "General Gaming Discussion" & "Industry News & Rumors" (much like the most tolerable comics forum I've found; Millarworld.tv) just so you don't have to wade through 4-6 pages of discussion to find a topic from last night.

But PLEASE no console forums, you think the Nintendo love-in threads are silly now? Just imagine how bad it would get.

Bildi

onegoodlogan said:
Both. Also Gladiator Voltron.

:lol Holy sh*t!

In response to OP, no.

If you like that you might be interested in some other gaming forums. Like every other one on the frickin' internet.

gutter_trash said:
enter any PSP thread in 2006 and by page 2 you would have gotten the strike force attack from the DS malitia in place already.

PSP threads have calmed down quite a bit lately, maybe people wised up now (more pleasent) but in 2006 it was absolutely discusting trying to see whats up with the PSP with the insane trolling in those threads

Let me tell you, Nintendo threads have always been an absolute dream to browse too. Completely devoid of trolling.

Please.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
YakiSOBA said:
Do mods have their own sub-forum here?
If you must know, NeoGAF actually has 8 active forums not counting the FAQ section, although one of them makes the Online forum look like a hive of activity.

Shard said:
The major caveats I have with the two board system are speed and volume.
This has always been a concern, but so far things haven't been too bad. I wouldn't be opposed to expanding the threads per page count, but at the same time having too many is bad too.

fallout said:
Because things always go so swimmingly during E3, GDC, NPD days, random press conferences, tiny rumours, etc.
Well... those too....

Speevy

Banned
I wouldn't mind a forum specifically dedicated to asking industry people questions, and getting clarifications on tech issues.

I agree that having too many forums is a bad thing, and I wish TXB would scrap some of theirs. However I remember when they had subforums that were overseen by developers of specific upcoming games. That was a pretty good idea.

Now imagine a whole forum where you could do nothing but get updates from Jesiatha on the Xbox Live Arcade. No debates, no bitching. In the same forum you could find out the status of stories from the 1up staff. We already have enough industry people here for that to work. Just a thought.

Speevy

Banned
There's probably a forum that says "Staff Forum" where Neogaf mods and administrators talk about forum issues (like who's acting like a moron and deserves to be banned, who's going to be on vacation, when they're working on the forum, and giving out free stuff)

Of course, I remember when there were no ban messages and easy "end date" settings, so keeping track of users was much more difficult.

I can't imagine there's an insane amount of activity, even on a forum this large.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hitokage said:
I wouldn't be opposed to expanding the threads per page count, but at the same time having too many is bad too.
Can't it just be made a user option similar to the posts per page option?

That would be beautiful.

fallout said:
Because things always go so swimmingly during E3, GDC, NPD days, random press conferences, tiny rumours, etc.
Every board gets this though, it's not just games either. Check out some Transformers boards during Toy Fair, then you will know fear.

Lobster

Banned
Pope Benedict XVI said:
Actually that makes me realise something else: it's kinda cool that on gaf you can't see post counts under each poster's username.

GAF works different. You either have a well recognized avatar...or a tag..otherwise you're nobody.

It sucks being a nobody BTW.

Top Bottom