• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Firestorm

Mr Killemgood said:
99 Posts and only 1 impression from actual gameplay?

Is that a good thing (everyone is enjoying it too much), or bad thing (no one bought it or cares)?
It's 5AM in Japan. Topic was posted at around 5PM in Japan. I think more time might be needed.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ah sweet, didn't know about that website.

If anybody wants to "refer" me, hit me up with a link.

Wizpig

Mr Killemgood said:

Is that a good thing (everyone is enjoying it too much), or bad thing (no one bought it or cares)?
Third option: we are all waiting for the US/Asian English one hoping for the love of Jesus that it is Region-free.

[that said, i noticed that there aren't many J-Gaffers who bought it, but surely they will in the next days... and i hate them so much]

Wizpig

Hmm, about that Tales Brigade website... can you guys please tell me if they ship those prizes to Europe too?

Rpgmonkey

Wizpig said:
Hmm, about that Tales Brigade website... can you guys please tell me if they ship those prizes to Europe too?

US/Canada only, sorry.

Apparently they still let people from places besides those sign up though. 0.o

They're letting people win the "How many Tales games do you have?" quest by using import games. :lol:

I am trying to see if I can pull a few strings and find someone with a US address I could sign up as, and then get them to post the prizes across to me. If I could get the US Xbox 360, then the region locking wouldn't matter. :D

u_neek said:
Any first week predictions?

I'd say about 100k
Way less. I was excited for this but the demo killed it for me. The dialog isn't that good and while I do like the art style, I feel that Eternal Sonata looked better and had more attention to detail.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Classic_Gs said:
Way less. I was excited for this but the demo killed it for me. The dialog isn't that good and while I do like the art style, I feel that Eternal Sonata looked better and had more attention to detail.
You forgot the Tales fanbase.

And the artstyle is specific to the Tales series... the producer specifically said he wanted to keep the Tales series feel and not go for the cel shading like in ES.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I went to EB games earlier and asked when they were getting Tales in, and he asked me which one since two were listed for the 360. I said Vesperia and asked what the other one was, and he showed me

Tales of Vesper... 59.99
Tales of Desper... 49.99

Did they just mess up, or is there another tales I never heard of?

Lagunamov

Papercuts said:
I went to EB games earlier and asked when they were getting Tales in, and he asked me which one since two were listed for the 360. I said Vesperia and asked what the other one was, and he showed me

Tales of Vesper... 59.99
Tales of Desper... 49.99

Only Vesperia, Desper doesn't exist.

icecream said:
You forgot the Tales fanbase.

And the artstyle is specific to the Tales series... the producer specifically said he wanted to keep the Tales series feel and not go for the cel shading like in ES.
Ah I see, well on the one hand that is cool that the development team is sticking to their core (style) crowd, but on the other hand, as someone fairly new to the series, the lack detail is some what off putting.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Papercuts said:

Tales of Vesper... 59.99
Tales of Desper... 49.99

The other one is "The Tale of Despereaux", which is a shitty licensed movie game.

GamerSoul

I know hardly anything about the game but that makes me want to play it more. It makes the experience a little better. Well, only time will tell.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Rpgmonkey said:
Yeah I just thought about that...

...I hate you Namco.
Sadly this one makes some twisted sense if true... offset the extra licensing cost for voices by directly targeting the userbase that wants it.

Or maybe they'll be nice like Ubisoft was with Naruto...

Chris R

Mr Killemgood said:

Well there was a demo???

Might rent it, but not buying until I get a chance to try the combat out more. The demo was confusing as fuck and I couldn't do a single thing after like 5 fights and then got killed really quick by a boss :lol

Firestorm

rhfb said:
Well there was a demo???

Might rent it, but not buying until I get a chance to try the combat out more. The demo was confusing as fuck and I couldn't do a single thing after like 5 fights and then got killed really quick by a boss :lol
The demo's difficulty was intentionally ramped up due to the amount of skills and artes you possessed. You wouldn't have those at the beginning of the game (which is the setting). I'm assuming the real game will ease you into the combat a bit more ;) Apparently they jacked up the difficulty of the boss a LOT.

Classic_Gs said:

Nah. I'm going to say ~100k sounds reasonable.

ivysaur12

Banned
Firestorm said:
The demo's difficulty was intentionally ramped up due to the amount of skills and artes you possessed. You wouldn't have those at the beginning of the game (which is the setting). I'm assuming the real game will ease you into the combat a bit more ;) Apparently they jacked up the difficulty of the boss a LOT.

I'm seriously going to have a ton of fun kicking that guy's ass when the game comes out.

ivysaur12

Banned
Awntawn said:
So it just came cross my knowledge that there's an Engrish version of the opening theme that's probably going to be used in the NA version of the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdPuo8W8YXA

NOOOOOOooooooOOOOoOooOoOOoooo!!!!

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I don't know why they couldn't have gotten someone who was fluent in the language to do the vocals.

EDIT: What do you know. She *is* fluent in english. You wouldn't know it from that song though.

Llyranor

icecream said:
Sadly this one makes some twisted sense if true... offset the extra licensing cost for voices by directly targeting the userbase that wants it.

Or maybe they'll be nice like Ubisoft was with Naruto...
The sad part is that I might bite.

I'm part of the problem!

Teknoman

Whoa, Vesperia came around pretty fast. Too many RPGs coming this way at once >_<

tehbear said:
I usually don't play more than one RPG at once, but hey...

Tales for when friends are over, IU for when they aren't. I am set.

Hey at least you havent already started an RPG. Im just getting into DDS2 from my DDS1+2 first time playthrough, and the RPG deluge is beginning.

I know I like Vesperia (it's a Tales main series game, of course its going to be good. That and the demo) but Infinite Undiscovery i'll have to wait for a demo/reviews/impressions. Same with the other new IPs.

MrDaravon

If anyone wants to use me as a reference for talesbrigade (I think you can only get this once, probably to avoid people whoring it/creating duplicate accounts), you can use SailorDaravon >_>

Also I dunno about the LE at amazon yet either, I'm still trying to find anyplace that's listing it at all, at least online.

Firestorm

SailorDaravon said:
If anyone wants to use me as a reference for talesbrigade (I think you can only get this once, probably to avoid people whoring it/creating duplicate accounts), you can use SailorDaravon >_>

Also I dunno about the LE at amazon yet either, I'm still trying to find anyplace that's listing it at all, at least online.
It's unlimited. But you can only get credit for 7 per day. My username there is Firestorm.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn I totally forgot about this game. I will have to pick it up when I get back to Japan in a couple of weeks. I hope it gets some good sales.

Teknoman

Registered via RPGmonkey's link.

Only fansite I ever got anything worthwhile from was Slime Knights, and I was a member there since its creation.

Damn im going to miss that place for DQIV DS.

Cedille

It appears
Shinji Tamura
finally would have been sacked from 'mothership' Tale of games as his name is no longer on the credit, though if Hearts is a mothership, he shall return soon.

Cedille

kiryogi said:
And Tamura's gone? Where's the staff list?

There is another
Tamura
though (as a sound effects staff). I just watched the credit, and my friend will transcribe it in a few days.

PAL 2009? >=o

I hope the US version isn't region locked, so I can import this sucker. Region lockout is the worst thing ever.

Jonnyram

I think that 0pt achievement for "complesion" (sic) is a not-so-subtle hint that this game is coming to PS3 (that achievement being the platinum trophy, basically). Could be a stretch but it's really unusual to give 0pts for 100% completion.

The secret achievements in this game seem to be pretty good. The big ones are probably story-related, but the 5pt ones seem to unlock when you clear a specific requirement for each of the boss battles.

Paracelsus

Android18a said:
PAL 2009? >=o

I hope the US version isn't region locked, so I can import this sucker. Region lockout is the worst thing ever.

Hello,

I tried contacting Namco and they were no help as they were not sure.

We will test it out when it is released.

Thanks,

Customer Service Representative
VIDEOGAMESPLUS.CA

>.>;

manzo

Android18a said:
PAL 2009? >=o

For those who want to play it on the 26th, I hope the US version will be region free.

Myself, I'm going to have my hands full with LO, IU and LasRem. 2009 for ToV is quite allright, since I won't have the time for it anyway with this crazy surge of awesome games this fall.

Wizpig

Paracelsus said:
What the fuck does that mean?
And i mean the Namco part.
They are NOT SURE?
OH THANKS, YOU ONLY MADE THE FU***NG GAME!

Maybe now that someone is asking if it's Region-Free they are going to Region-Lock it just for the heck of it.
Yes, Namco is THAT evil.

Lagunamov

Wizpig said:
What the fuck does that mean?
And i mean the Namco part.
They are NOT SURE?
OH THANKS, YOU ONLY MADE THE FU***NG GAME!

Maybe now that someone is asking if it's Region-Free they are going to Region-Lock it just for the heck of it.
Yes, Namco is THAT evil.
:lol :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Got mine this morning and have been playing it. So far it's meeting and surpassing all my expectations as the true followup to my favorite rpg of 2005(4?). I didn't play the demo because of the bad word of mouth and I like going into rpgs fresh, but man the graphics are SOOOOO gorgeous. This game is beautiful. There's also a TON of polish. Does not feel rushed at all, but rather fine-tuned, which is a surprise for a next-gen title sadly.

Am SO HAPPY the d-pad AI shortcuts are in. Too many Tales games don't have these and it's ridiculous. I love Tales games where I can tell the party to CHARGE and then when you see the enemy windup a close quarters major attack I hit left on the d-pad and tell them to RETREAT and the AI doesn't get fucked up and I have to heal them like SO MANY STUPID GAMES where you hate your AI friends.

Also the battles have a little more depth and challenge than usual for Tales games. I am surprised! ...and it's fun! The secret missions by beating certain battles certain ways is pretty cool if your not an achievement crazed person who is going to try to get them all and instead you just get rewarded sometimes when you do something cool :)

Do titles do anything? I like when titles have real effects, but I don't see any.

Like always the sound mix is really bad on default and you can hardly hear the voices when there is music or sound effects. Luckily during music/SE down a notch remedies that.

My only complaint so far is that Yuri runs a little slow. I wish he had a turbo sprint like in LO. Also 60fps exploration would have been nice but...I'm really happy with the visuals so I'll take what I've got.

Next-gen TALES IS HERE!!

Top Bottom