• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Firestorm

Trading a GAFer for this right now. I really need a good JRPG because I really freaking missed playing them this generation.

Reviews seems to be glowing for this game. Is this a correct conclusion? I also realize I probably should pick up a portable to get my JRPG fix I have been missing. But I just can't justify buying another console with its own time sink. :(
It's a very comfortable game. If you're looking for that old-school jRPG structure but with a very dynamic battle system, this game is perfect.
I have a ladyfriend now that plays video games (Handheld RPG's and Puzzle Games mostly). I'm interested in seeing if she will give Tales of Vesperia a try.

I played through it about two years ago by myself and I enjoyed it but don't remember all that much about it. Is there a best way to get her invested and how does the multiplayer work, i.e should I let her control the main character, should I alter the difficulty level, etc.
I agree with what Seda said. I'd probably get her to play a Melee class as they are usually the most fun to play. Maybe let her do Yuri if you played him last time. He's the default and should help her get comfortable with the battle system. You can try Judith once you get her. She's a bit more complicated but interesting to play!

The battle theme for this game is absolute rubbish. Seriously wtf was Sakuraba thinking when he made this? Does the theme change later on? (I just started)

Also in the PS3 version is Flynn one of the best party members? I only speak english and it's a bummer I won't be able to include him since I'm playing it on 360.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The battle theme for this game is absolute rubbish. Seriously wtf was Sakuraba thinking when he made this? Does the theme change later on? (I just started)

Also in the PS3 version is Flynn one of the best party members? I only speak english and it's a bummer I won't be able to include him since I'm playing it on 360.
It changes. These are the three battle themes:

Furnace of War
Burning Fighting Spirit
Tenacity

edit: lol I think my post killed the thread (moved to community afterlife)

Is my save file stuffed or did the game change the settings automatically?

I got into a surprise encounter where I guess the strategy was changed as I couldn't control any of my characters for the battle. Now whenever I enter a battle if I press B (the attack button) Yuri will stand on the spot and swing his weapon instead of running up to the enemy to attack them like he previously did. I loaded my save files previous to this and I do not have this problem. I have checked all the strategy settings but nothing seems changed. Any clues as to how I change it back to how it was?

trejo

Sounds like it changed from semi-auto to manual. The option to change it back should be somewhere in the artes menu I think.

Gaaraz

Does anyone know how easy the easy mode is? My girlfriend is keen to play, but it needs to be really easy.

It's mostly due to a lack of patience/hatred of having to re-play sections rather than anything else - although I can see her point, we were playing the demo and died on a boss battle, and instead of restarting the battle, it just quit the entire demo - I'm imagining then it'll be like most JRPGs with a game over screen rather than nice regular checkpoints?

Thanks

Mikhal

Does anyone know how easy the easy mode is? My girlfriend is keen to play, but it needs to be really easy.

It's mostly due to a lack of patience/hatred of having to re-play sections rather than anything else - although I can see her point, we were playing the demo and died on a boss battle, and instead of restarting the battle, it just quit the entire demo - I'm imagining then it'll be like most JRPGs with a game over screen rather than nice regular checkpoints?

Thanks

Yup. Game over and you can load a save point. There's typically a save point right before the boss though. The demo boss is also one of the harder bosses you'll fight in relation to your levels at the time so don't let it discourage her too much.

Gaaraz

Thank you! That's good to hear, since (embarrassingly) the boss battle in the demo wasn't even a close thing, she pretty much got slaughter (she was playing as the healer, and I couldn't figure out how to join in to help) - good to know that bosses are generally easier (and with checkpoints!)

catmincer

This is one of the weekly specials for gold members this week. I Got it and am just at the start. the battle system seems complicated so I am hoping it'll get easier.

FSLink

Banned
This is one of the weekly specials for gold members this week. I Got it and am just at the start. the battle system seems complicated so I am hoping it'll get easier.

It gradually eases you into any new features it introduces to the battle system, and the tutorials aren't too bad. Just battle a lot and practice, you'll get the hang of it!

Thanks

It's pretty damn easy on Normal. That boss is like the only difficult part (and in the demo you're underleveled), but that can easily be remedied by preparing before hand, or just fighting every enemy you see before then/upgrading equipment regularly.

Gaaraz

It gradually eases you into any new features it introduces to the battle system, and the tutorials aren't too bad. Just battle a lot and practice, you'll get the hang of it!

It's pretty damn easy on Normal. That boss is like the only difficult part (and in the demo you're underleveled), but that can easily be remedied by preparing before hand, or just fighting every enemy you see before then/upgrading equipment regularly.
Brilliant, thank you! :) To be honest I think we'd mostly like to avoid battles where possible and just get on with the story, so easy would be perfect for us.

Top Bottom