• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Unleashed 2 announced.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The first game had it's issues but I still enjoyed it. Definitely will check this out.
Tobor said:
The story isn't even the half of it. They made a nobody character more powerful than Yoda and Vader combined.
A lot of that was just for gameplay purposes. The novelization of the Force Unleashed makes it pretty clear he's not on the level of Yoda or Sidious.

TreIII

*sigh*

I guess this does indeed do a lot to kill off Jedi Knight for good. Truly a pity. I'll never get anything close to "realistic" Lightsaber combat ever again, because they're too busy trying to make GoW-style games now.

DihcarEM

demosthenes said:
This is one thing that I don't think is fleshed out enough. It doesn't have to be just light vs dark.

True, i hope that Starkiller remains neither sith or jedi but greater then both.
If anything we have more then enough examples that being a jedi does not automaticlly mean you are good or right.
Both the jedis and siths dogmatic views are wrong imo, but i doubt Lucas will allow them to thread of his path.

Darklord

Banned
Valru said:
LOL have fun, WORST PORT OF 2009.

zero settings besides resolution, contrast was so bad that black was actually white, crashed if you saved, uninstalled in 10 minutes.

Wow, really? That's...insane.

Kabouter

Darklord said:
Wow, really? That's...insane.
I experienced no technical difficulties of any sort, and yes, there was a lack of options, but it looked and ran fine, so no major problem there either.

I'll join the chorus stating they've prefer another Jed Knight, KotOR and add that I reallty wish they'd find a way to do that Indiana Jones prototype justice.

Zenith

Banned
Valru said:
LOL have fun, WORST PORT OF 2009.

zero settings besides resolution, contrast was so bad that black was actually white, crashed if you saved, uninstalled in 10 minutes.

And last year I was playing the god-awful GTA4 port for xmas. Did you play the game with the v1.1 patch?

demosthenes said:
KOTOR MMO != KOTOR 3.

KOTOR MMO takes place 400 years after KOTOR 2 or something like that. I want my story finished from KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 dammit.

According to the devs, KOTOR MMO does indeed = KOTOR 3.... and 4,5,6,etc. They even hinted that some characters may be in the mmo. They also seem to hint that the mmo will explain what happened in that 300 year gap between KOTOR 2 and the mmo.

gibration said:
Forget the haters, I loved the first and I will be looking forward to the sequel.

Have you played this?! We want another game in THIS series
Jabox.jpg

I enjoyed TFU so I'm looking forward to this, although I'm intrigued how they're going to pick up the story.
I'd also like another Jedi Knight, but only if it's in the style of Dark Forces & JK1 rather than the Raven ones.

Sins*

Neo Member
demosthenes said:
This is one thing that I don't think is fleshed out enough. It doesn't have to be just light vs dark.
I think he's becoming more of a Grey Jedi, Not jedi or sith. That'd be awesome, not having to follow the strict rules of the order and not having to do horrifying acts such as slaughtering young-lings. :p

bengraven

Between THIS and the Old Republic E3 trailer, 2009 is a GREAT year for Star Wars CGI!

I've never even played the first and I'm now planning on it.

I loved the first Force Unleashed.
It did lack in depth, but it was my GOTY of 2008 besides Fallout 3 of course, just based off the amount of fun that I had.

That being said, I was very disappointed that we only got a pre-rendered cinematic considering the first game came out 2 years ago. Just a small taste of gameplay or something.

ALSO: Is it too much to ask that the people that didn't play FU1 or any previous game, stay out of the goddamn sequel threads? Goddamn.

Parts

Is it just me that hopes they keep the CG cutscenes of the last game? They were just so gorgeous I'd hate for them to be comprimised by the actual game engine.

MechaX

DihcarEM said:
Sorry but i think that's totally wrong. If you want to use an accurate wikipedia concerning Star Wars i suggest using http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Fair warning, it does include all info, canon or non-canon.

Oh man, I'm going to hate myself even more for talking about this, let alone knowing it.

But if we're including the Expanded Universe (which The Forced Unleashed essentially is, but like Shadows of the Empire, it has more weight than the novels in the "canon"), the he's actually kind of correct. Depending on the author, of course.

Some authors in the New Jedi Order series did try to imply that everything Palpatine did was in preparation of the Yuuzhan Vong. Some authors tried to sell the idea harder than others, but it was a pretty consistent theme during the time.
Of course, inconsistency bordering on flat out stupidity is nothing new for the expanded universe, let alone the Star Wars mythos in general.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Did the PC version ever actually get released anywhere? I saw reviews of it and a QL on Giantbomb but I've not actually seen the game anywhere, DD or otherwise.

I don't think I have ever gotten as mad as I have at a game as I did playing The Force Unleashed on the Star Destroyer segment. Overall the game was sloppy but that part was downright broken. I can't believe they shipped a game where the on-screen prompts to complete the task were wrong. If you attempted to follow the on-screen prompts you would fail. What the fuck.

Fun could be had with The Force Unleashed but it was clearly an unfinished product and I chalk that up to Lucas Arts shit canning the development staff before they shipped the game. What pisses me off is that they don't even address any of the game's MANY issues when they decide to resell TFU with its overpriced DLC as The Sith Edition. But hey, you get a fancy little tin.

I paid 20$ for the Force Unleashed, and that's what I expect I'll pay for its sequel if I buy it at all.

DihcarEM

Parts said:
Is it just me that hopes they keep the CG cutscenes of the last game? They were just so gorgeous I'd hate for them to be comprimised by the actual game engine.

Well going by the teaser, it seems that the cgi will be even better this time around.

MechaX said:
Oh man, I'm going to hate myself even more for talking about this, let alone knowing it.

But if we're including the Expanded Universe (which The Forced Unleashed essentially is, but like Shadows of the Empire, it has more weight than the novels in the "canon"), the he's actually kind of correct. Depending on the author, of course.

Some authors in the New Jedi Order series did try to imply that everything Palpatine did was in preparation of the Yuuzhan Vong. Some authors tried to sell the idea harder than others, but it was a pretty consistent theme during the time.
Of course, inconsistency bordering on flat out stupidity is nothing new for the expanded universe, let alone the Star Wars mythos in general.

Haha, don't beat up yourself over knowing that info.
Yeah, i had also heard about that but since it isn't canon i didn't accept that info as part of the saga.
There is a lot of shit like that in the EU, ridiculouse retconned stuff.
And there isn't anywhere in canon that states that being the reason or even part of why Sidious gained all that power. Because in canon
Vong don't excist.

Some more about the teaser: Some are speculating that Starkiller
is in fact dead and is in some sort of force purgatory. Which to my memory we've never seen in canon.
Their proof of this are Vader more specifically talks about the life he no longer has and how he has to let go of that life. Yoda talks about death being a natural part of life, that he has to let go of his attachements(it could be that his love for Juno is what's keeping him there). The logo, in part 1 Starkiller can be seen with his saber in a stance. In 2, his image is clouded.
There are obvious arguements against this theory but we'll see.

Prine

Banned
Yeah i agree that CG cutscenes should stay. The story was superb in SW:FU, and the CG captured little details that the engine would miss out on or look bad.

DihcarEM

Sadly the trailer that went up on the official site is the same VGA teaser.
Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for new info.

On another note, i did find this page at Kotaku of the TFU2 unveiling.

http://kotaku.com/5425130/from-the-vgas-sequels-announced-for-force-unleashed-true-crime

"The tipster said the game is being developed internally at LucasArts and will be out in late 2010. "It is everything the first game could/should have been and a lot lot more (online support!)" the tipster wrote."

Hopefully this means that TFU2 will pull an Assassin's Creed 2.

I call dibbs on making the official thread.

MechaX said:

This was Zahn's writing in which he tries to cover his own ass. The Prequels fucked with his own original novels so he basically took the opportunity with the Outbound Flight book to retcon the mistakes into making sense by creating excuse related to the NJO storyline. It was pretty sad since his original ideas for Outbound Flight were long before the Vong were created so it's so obvious what he was doing.

Though to note the whole reason Palpatine took power and built the empire was not to defend against invaders, he merely used it as one of his reasonings for taking power, in protecting the galaxy from external threats. Palpatine never knew what exactly was coming to the galaxy, in what magnitude, or how actually dire the threat was.

Zahn is pretty good writer of SW fiction but his problem is whenever he does, it seems that hes trying to take control over the entire universe with his creations. He loves to take the work of others and somehow intertwine it with how own characters or have it somehow all come back to something he wrote before. Hes even pretty much been the most blatant when it comes to writing off other authors ideas by creating reasons that retcon previous entries.

Kabouter

Sinatar said:
Did the PC version ever actually get released anywhere? I saw reviews of it and a QL on Giantbomb but I've not actually seen the game anywhere, DD or otherwise.
Yep released here in the Netherlands :)

Owzers

Masta_Killah said:
According to the devs, KOTOR MMO does indeed = KOTOR 3.... and 4,5,6,etc. They even hinted that some characters may be in the mmo. They also seem to hint that the mmo will explain what happened in that 300 year gap between KOTOR 2 and the mmo.

I just don't believe the developers when it comes to KOTOR MMO.

Snaku

Banned
Holy shit, I hate not having regular contact with the internet. Galen is alive, and Yoda is training him?! There is another, indeed.

Fuck I can't wait for this. Sure the first had issues, but the story was far better than the prequels, and I had a ton of fun with the Force powers despite targeting problems. If they can make a more polished and concise game, with a story that lives up to the first, it would prob be my goty.

Top Bottom